Linux Anybody?

B)-->

QUOTE(simon b @ Aug 17 2006, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi guys,

could you help me here...

i run a design outfit working mostly on digital design and artworks.

i have clients abroad.

the programs we use are word, photoshop, illustrator, 3d max, pagemaker, indesign, acrobat.

i use mozilla thunderbird and outlook express, alternatively, for sending and receiving files.

also, got mac and pc.

pldt dsl for internet connection.

can i shift to linux? mac and pc?

appreciate your inputs.

thanks!!!

well... in my experience, linux provides one of the best environments for development for either stand alone application software or web applications. however, for graphics work... a mac would be the better alternative. a mac isn't as expensive as it was during the late 90's.

one way to go would be to set up a linux box and install vmware or virtualpc app to run your windows based graphics software or the other way around, a windows box with linux running under vmware. one thing that i'm sure of, gimp doesn't stand a chance competing with photoshop. once linux can run photoshop, autocad, and pagemaker, that's the time i fully migrate to linux.

just my opinion, folks...

hi guys... just found a very nice program for linux user..

download here picasa from google

Find and enjoy the pictures on your computer in seconds.

A free software download from Google.

Picasa is software that helps you instantly find, edit and share all the pictures on your PC. Every time you open Picasa, it automatically locates all your pictures (even ones you forgot you had) and sorts them into visual albums organized by date with folder names you will recognize. You can drag and drop to arrange your albums and make labels to create new groups. Picasa makes sure your pictures are always organized.

Picasa also makes advanced editing simple by putting one-click fixes and powerful effects at your fingertips. And Picasa makes it a snap to share your pictures – you can email, print photos at home, make gift CDs, instantly share via Hello™, and even post pictures on your own blog.

post-3960-1156301473.png

• 2 weeks later...
hi guys!!

anyone familiar with the kppp dialup tool? is there other solution that this application can be restored? mines kc got crashed, it says that "daemon died unexpectedly" after being connected for a couple of minutes.tnx

Hi Postmaster,

kppp should work again after an unexpected crash. It should just display a message when you re-run it telling you that there's still a running copy of kppp, all you need to do is just ignore this message and re-dial. I'm using RH9 at home and I encounter this issue from time to time.

If it still doesn't work, try re-installing kppp, using the Add/Remove programs tool or try to do it manually using

#rpm -Uvh <kppp-package name>

Be sure to check for dependencies though.

HTH,

Dauphin74 :headsetsmiley:

Thanks, I'll try that. My ram is 768mb, is that enough for ubuntu 6.06 to function properly?

Hi johnlove,

Try running "top" on your system to check on its memory/processor utilization.

This command displays the tope ten processes that consumes a significant amount of your systems memory and processing power. Try to check if any of these running processes are indeed essential to the daily operation of your system; if not, you have the option of disabling these process/es.

HTH,

Hi johnlove,

Try running "top" on your system to check on its memory/processor utilization.

This command displays the tope ten processes that consumes a significant amount of your systems memory and processing power. Try to check if any of these running processes are indeed essential to the daily operation of your system; if not, you have the option of disabling these process/es.

HTH,

Ok, thank you

Guest Leviticus
Linux on P-IIIs? I'd most certainly recommend Damn Small Linux for that one.

Well... RedHat 9, Fedora core 3, Freespire, Ubuntu 5, Bayanihan 3.1, Suse 9.1 all ran on the P-III unit. It is just a matter of preference. Notice that these are previous versions of linux so they would most certainly run on a P-III unit.

Specs of hardware is as follows: P-III 800, 128 memory, 8 mb video card, 10 Gb hard disk

Guest Leviticus

Hi guys. Just want to share here something regarding my recent linux happening. Most of the guys here at the office don't get that it is funny.

As I said I am trying out several linux distributions on desktop PCs; my attempts to migrate the people from Window$. I gave the operations manager the choice of Redhat 9, Suse 9, Bayanihan, Ubuntu, Slackware, etc. Here is the actual reply he gave me:

"I think it would be best to stick with Red Hat. Since this is the OS of our Server." :blink:

Wowowee! Duh! :upside:

We are using web-based applications btw. Our server is using Redhat Enterprise 4.

Guest Leviticus

Need help. How do I view the IP address of the computer (using RedHat 9) in the terminal console without being root? I don't want to give out the root password to non-IT guys, kahit supervisor pa siya!!!

Hi guys. Just want to share here something regarding my recent linux happening. Most of the guys here at the office don't get that it is funny.

As I said I am trying out several linux distributions on desktop PCs; my attempts to migrate the people from Window$. I gave the operations manager the choice of Redhat 9, Suse 9, Bayanihan, Ubuntu, Slackware, etc. Here is the actual reply he gave me:

"I think it would be best to stick with Red Hat. Since this is the OS of our Server." :blink:

Wowowee! Duh! :upside:

We are using web-based applications btw. Our server is using Redhat Enterprise 4.

just wondering why do u have to use redhat 9 while you can use fedora 5 or centos 4.4 which is just the same as redhat distributions.

Need help. How do I view the IP address of the computer (using RedHat 9) in the terminal console without being root? I don't want to give out the root password to non-IT guys, kahit supervisor pa siya!!!

try this might work for you.

/sbin/ifconfig

may naka try naba sa inyo ng SUSE 10.1 linux na may 3D effect?

ang lupit at nakaka tuwa bwehehehe :P

Edited by bukn0y
Guest Leviticus
just wondering why do u have to use redhat 9 while you can use fedora 5 or centos 4.4 which is just the same as redhat distributions.

try this might work for you.

/sbin/ifconfig

may naka try naba sa inyo ng SUSE 10.1 linux na may 3D effect?

ang lupit at nakaka tuwa bwehehehe :P

I am installing linux in P-III units. The distributions you mentioned cannot run in Pentium-III. Well, it can run but not worth it :P

I am currently using SUSE 10.1 with 3D effects. Ayos sa alright :evil: I can honestly say that ingit ang mga officemates ko :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Guest Leviticus
Mga bossing matagal na ako interested sa linux.d ko lang alam kung san kukuha and kung pano gamitn.baka may alam kayo na website jan.tnx

What's your computer hardware? here's a site:

www.distrowatch.com

dun. dami linux distributions with reviews and comments of other newbies to linux

guys question.

if i have a perl program and i want this to run in background via SSH ano dapat kong gawin?

i tried something like this.

#!/bin/bash

process=`ps -ef|grep "vher.pl$"`

if [ -n $process ]; then

echo `/root/vher.pl /null >/dev/null 2>/dev/null`

fi

pag pinatakbo ko sya hindi na sya na exit back to the prompt even if im inserting the & sign.

baka lang may naka try na.

the purpose of this is to check the process if it is still on the background and if not execute the program again within the background.

hope people can help me on this.

thank you.