Linux Anybody?

I have 4 computers, all different. 3 desktops, 2 laptops.

I have not been able to load ANY Linux distro on any of them completely. Ubuntu gives me a "kernel panic" before installing is over. Others will load but don't have drivers for my wi-fi or video. Frustrating talaga...

If I want to try it, I'll probably have to get a distro preloaded when I buy a new computer :(

It's hard to go to a forum or help board and start with questions like this. The answer is usually RTFM, pare. Trying to track down one specific problem is hard when you're googling...

can i start off with a pentium 3 laptop for my linux adventure?

i will refortmat and start it clean. then what's next? where can i find a step by step 'how to' to kick off my linux adventure. which flavor is best for a fortysomething linux adventurer?

whew that is scary! that means i got to have the right stuff and install them and then learn quick to get back to MTC.

yaiks! that's how it is going to be! new year means new beginning and new adventure.

this newbie bows to all the gurus in this thread!

i backread several pages and i found very very good stuff! my hats off to all of you guys keep it coming!

yes, you can use a pentium 3 laptop for linux.

each distro has it's own how-to install and configure.

the top 3 distros now (according to distrowatch.com) are ubuntu, opensuse, fedora.

so choose one and read the documentation.

will do as you said! wish me luck and patience to do this over the week-end!

by the way, will the reading and the start up cost me my whole saturday and sunday? I HOPE NOT!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leviticus
The problem with linux is it doesn't play existing online games you will still need wine and other window emulators that will make our pc slower.

And linux doesn't react as fast as windows

linux is for business purposes and not for games; but it is getting there.

the arguement that linux is not so media-savy is the usual argument. however, linux on a BUSINESS environment is perfect because WALANG GAMES and so difficult to install chikka, yahoo messenger, skype, etc.

A majority of my initial experiences with computing was on Unix. But now that I'm mostly working with business applications, I find it easier to create programs (web or stand alone) using Microsoft's tools. I'd appreciate anyone who can share some information on benchmarking the application development process on Linux and that on Wintel machines. Thanks.

Guest Leviticus
A majority of my initial experiences with computing was on Unix. But now that I'm mostly working with business applications, I find it easier to create programs (web or stand alone) using Microsoft's tools. I'd appreciate anyone who can share some information on benchmarking the application development process on Linux and that on Wintel machines. Thanks.

taken from the opensource thread:

Im the IT guy here at the office. I always push for opensource software as much as possible for its stability and for economic reasons (heck.. its free!).

the main problem is with the users themselves. ang titigas ng ulo when it comes to conversion to linux software. yes, as much as possible I don't install windows here at the office; hihingi pa ako ng reason/justification why I will install windows xp and/or ms office and it must be a VERY GOOD REASON/JUSTIFICATION. nasa isip kasi ng mga officemates/users that pirated ang gamit ko and that I can just install and install as much as I can but they don't realize that the cost for formatting an XP computer is sooo high. Grabe nga eh.. masmahal pa ang software (Windows XP and MS Office = around Php22,000.00) kaysa sa hardware mismo. They keep on insisting on windows! :angry:

nakakafrustrate makipagrason sa kanila; kesyo familiar na raw sila sa windows and ms office, kesyo matagal magaral, kesyo hindi raw nila alam, kesyo ang pangit, kesyo hindi compatible ang program, kesyo ang windows network hindi napapasok ng linux, etc.. hay. I believe lahat na ng rason narinig ko as an excuse not to migrate to linux or openoffice; but I can always dispute their claims that linux will not work.

The truth is, they cannot find a workaround when it comes to linux: too restricted raw (because tinangal ko ang mga music players, video players, java apps, applets), hindi sila makainstall ng chikka/skype/yahoo messenger/msn messenger, hindi mainstall ang mga iTunes and other mobile phone apps kaya angal sila. Hello?!? the computers at the office are for work and not for your personal enjoyment!

kung tutuusin nga openoffice lang okay na when it comes to office applications. may firefox naman for browsing (more secure than explorer; full of bugs talaga ang explorer)

here is a comparative list of programs

Winxp/ Linux/opensource

MS Word/ Openoffice writer

MS Excel/ Openoffice calc

MS Powerpoint/ Openoffice impress

Dreamweaver Frontpage express/ NuVu html/php editor

Winamp/ Banshee/Amrok

Acrobat reader/ Acrobat reader/Evince/Xpdf

Media Player/ VideoLan player

for your opensource needs visit www.sourceforge.org

mga Sir pano nga pala install Linux pag meron nakong existing OS tulad ng gamit ko now...

WinXP? gusto ko sna dual boot..... sinsya napo ala talaga akong alam sa Linux.... zero talaga... :(

Help nman po sir.... thanksss :)

ummm, kung ubuntu po ang OS na sinusubukan niyo lahat ng sagot ay nasa ubuntuforums.org :lol:

kaka install ko lang ng KUBUNTU

bat ganun, walang driver para sa modem ko

Acer Aspire 2000 Laptop, yung ibang devices ok naman

wireless Lan, Bluetooth, Card Reader

In most cases, your laptop uses a WinModem. These types of modem require the use of Window's based device driver (which is not found in Linux) to work. There are many projects out there on how to get a winmodem working on a ubuntu based system. I suggest that you do a search in their support forums. And there is actually a pinoy based thread.

guys help naman newbies po sa Linux as in zero talga....

meron kasi me CD ubuntu.. ngayon na install kuna sya... at nakaka pag login na ako... kasu di kuna alam gagawin ko :(

pano ba i program to??? help namn po thanks ng marami mga sir

Hi bro,

He actually start doing almost anything with Ubuntu since it already has a lot of applications installed. If you are using Ubuntu, The start button can be found on the upper left side of the screen (where the ubuntu logo is located). You will find out that it already has a lot of things installed.

1. Web-Browser -- Firefox -- you can access by going to the internet menu

2. Instant Messenger -- GAIM -- you can use this program to login into your msn, yahoo, ICQ accounts all at the sametime!

3. Office Applications -- You can openoffice Writer, Calc, Impress and Base which can directly open files created by Microsoft Office.

4. Email / PIM -- Evolution -- this is the what we coined the Outlook killer in the Open source world. good for emails, calendaring etc.

And once you start getting the feel of the operating system. You can start learning more about ubuntu by going to either the forums (http://www.ubuntuforums.org) or the newbie's guide (http://www.ubuntuguide.org)

What version are you using? 6.10? 6.06?