Linux Anybody?

i'll stick to slackware for now, and perhaps with fedora too. the gui for ubunto looks attractive, sadly, i like more free hand than the gui.

master cool naman yung ubuntu di ba ? :thumbsupsmiley: im still using terminal most of the time, but openoffice is cool and the other free apps. nasubukan mo na yung slackware booting from a thumbdrive ?

master cool naman yung ubuntu di ba ? :thumbsupsmiley: im still using terminal most of the time, but openoffice is cool and the other free apps. nasubukan mo na yung slackware booting from a thumbdrive ?

master ka jan!

ganun daw pag matanda na, mahirap baluktutin :D , anyways, booting from thumbdrive is another story, i use the linux from scratch guides , and/or http://www.linux-live.org/ scripts

me too, i use the terminal to practice bash and so i won't forget the important commands :)

nothing against gui :) can't run azureus w/o X :P

i don't think any linux user can turn his back from the shell =)

Edited by cruesome

The new Ubuntu release, 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, is a wonderful improvement over Feisty Fawn (7.04) and ready enough to be able to start fighting Windows and give end-users a choice.

The following new features I think are the best:

* the computer auto-hibernates after being left on for a certain period of time

* after coming back from locking the screen, if you don't know the user's password, you can leave them a message

* screen resolutions are better

* tracker (spotlight-like search tool, but with links to Wikipedia, Google, etc. and not just your files); it can be accessed through Alt+F3

* I don't use this feature much but it's useful - fast user switching

* an all-in-one appearance preferences

* Add/Remove Applications is easier to use

* automatic printer recognition (works very well, might I add - I hooked up a printer and it was recognized in 12 seconds; mind you - this is a 1.3 GHz machine from 2001)

* Pidgin over GAIM (much better interface)

* WINE has it's own cool little start-menu thing under "Applications"

* preset Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders in home

* better built-in help documentation

* Gimp 2.4 release candidate (easier access to features)

* OpenOffice 2.3 branded with the Ubuntu logo

* specialized Ubuntu add-ons for Firefox (Ubufox)

* when using sudo in the terminal, instead of just asking for the password it says "[sudo] password for *****" where ***** is the user name

there are many more new features, but those are the main ones that stand out, especially the screen resolution one. I haven't been able to find any bugs yet ... If you haven't tried Gutsy yet, download it now!

PS.

Also, wireless cards are automatically set up and work a lot better than previously. Ditto with graphics cards (for 3D functionality). This release is incredibly coherent and much tidier than before.

The new Ubuntu release, 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, is a wonderful improvement over Feisty Fawn (7.04) and ready enough to be able to start fighting Windows and give end-users a choice.

The following new features I think are the best:

* the computer auto-hibernates after being left on for a certain period of time

* after coming back from locking the screen, if you don't know the user's password, you can leave them a message

* screen resolutions are better

* tracker (spotlight-like search tool, but with links to Wikipedia, Google, etc. and not just your files); it can be accessed through Alt+F3

* I don't use this feature much but it's useful - fast user switching

* an all-in-one appearance preferences

* Add/Remove Applications is easier to use

* automatic printer recognition (works very well, might I add - I hooked up a printer and it was recognized in 12 seconds; mind you - this is a 1.3 GHz machine from 2001)

* Pidgin over GAIM (much better interface)

* WINE has it's own cool little start-menu thing under "Applications"

* preset Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders in home

* better built-in help documentation

* Gimp 2.4 release candidate (easier access to features)

* OpenOffice 2.3 branded with the Ubuntu logo

* specialized Ubuntu add-ons for Firefox (Ubufox)

* when using sudo in the terminal, instead of just asking for the password it says "[sudo] password for *****" where ***** is the user name

there are many more new features, but those are the main ones that stand out, especially the screen resolution one. I haven't been able to find any bugs yet ... If you haven't tried Gutsy yet, download it now!

PS.

Also, wireless cards are automatically set up and work a lot better than previously. Ditto with graphics cards (for 3D functionality). This release is incredibly coherent and much tidier than before.

yes !!! may sumangayon din sa akin na okey yung gutsy gibbon !!!! he he he !!!!

there seems to be a problem right now with ubuntu 7.10 gutsy gibbon users worldwide ...

those running updates are encountering this :

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu1.3_i386.deb
403 Forbidden

403 Forbidden

403 Forbidden

the only way to continue on with your updates is to un-select samba package updates for now ...

it will however still allow you to update the other packages ...

so for now, the only workaround is to ignore the 3 (samba) updates in the update manager till the issue is resolved ...

try using q, qemu or vmware.

when there is an admin, there is a way. :)

men subukan mo yung openvz o kaya xen yan ang gamit ng mga bossing ko dito.

there seems to be a problem right now with ubuntu 7.10 gutsy gibbon users worldwide ...

those running updates are encountering this :

403 Forbidden

403 Forbidden

403 Forbidden

the only way to continue on with your updates is to un-select samba package updates for now ...

it will however still allow you to update the other packages ...

so for now, the only workaround is to ignore the 3 (samba) updates in the update manager till the issue is resolved ...

shet !!! di ba depende sa apt source mo yan ???

the problem with the update manager is fixed already ...

i re-ran the update manager ...

it ran flawlessly ...

I agree! Was able to upgrade without any problems.

It only asked whether to keep or replace files in the cdrecord and scsi (the default is keep).

It also has a new unsupported driver manager that installed drivers for the video card that didn't have any native ubuntu drivers. It works well! Just need to find a 3D graphics program to try it on.

All files were left intact, even the browser cookies and bookmarks.

Open Office 2.3 works better.

hello. i'm a new linux user. just bought the new asus eeepc. it runs on linux KDE. i think the desktop is Xandros.

It was shipped with a start page that looked like a cellphone's grid menu with tabs. but now it looks more like a windows desktop (thanks to some how-to's i found in the net)

overall, promising ang eeepc. para isang taong gumagamit ng computer for word processing and presentations, magandang alternative ito sa windows at ms office. madali pa mag-install/download ng software (kung alam mo gamitin ang apt-get command)

i hope makakuha ako sa inyo ng mga tips para ma-optimize ko ang paggamit ng eeepc :) :cool: