Linux Anybody?

good news dito sa middle east nagiging trend na ang linux. for security sake. stable ang linux kesa sa windows. good example is madaming engot sa pc d2. yung mga spam at pop ups accidentally naclick nila with our knowing na bigla na lang virus ung nadownload nila. pero sa linux nde umuubra. since ang mga virus commonly design para sa windows users.

that's why i implemented a corporate-wide migration to linux.

mye previous experience. kasi pwedeng i dual booth ang linux dba. anyway just be carefull sa partiotioning. dati nabura ko yung windows na partition ko. so yun madaming file ang nabura.

sa www. mandriva.com available na ang mandriva2008 gumamit kayo ng flashget pag nag dadownload para macontinue nyo yung pagdownload ng mandriva2008.

as of now 29% pa nadownload ko.

sana set kayo ng gatherings. pag uwi ko ng pinas aatend ako dyan. ok ba un???

palitan na rin ng knowledge dba?

mas madaling isetup ang security sa ubuntu kesa sa Vista.....supposedly ang "admin" dapat administrator level priviledges....tapos kinukulit ka pa ng Vista to verify with M$ if the security software is valid.....ano ba yan...

o yeah...just got a hold of a assembly-based proof of concept adaptive virus that will supposedly hit the core kernel of linux and only linux...matesting nga sa ubuntu.

^Hummm, siguro next time para mas madali, sa Synaptic ka na lang mag-enter ng bagong address lines para hindi mo na kakalikutin yung sources.list mo by hand. :)

I just started using Ubuntu/Linux last Monday and I'm still adjusting with the new environment

I was able to install program counterparts of what I am using in Windows and I am satsified with the results

I am defenitely buying a bigger hard drive (probably 120GB, 80GB for Linux, 40GB for Windoze) once I received my Ubuntu 7.10 CD's

I still can not let go of Windoze as our Office Tools are remotely accessed using WinXP Remote Desktop

i got 20 ubuntu cds delivered last week :)

good thing i have a friend in customs so its totally free :D

they are totally free even if you don't have a friend in Customs

Ubuntu doesn't need CASH

they are backed up by Canonical Ltd., Founded by Mark Shuttleworth, Personal Net Worth estimated at more than a $1 Billion

Founded in late 2004, Canonical Ltd is a company headquartered in Europe with 130 employees working in over 18 countries. Canonical is the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu project.

Our mission

Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations by:

* delivering the world's best free software platform

* ensuring its availability to everyone

* supporting it with high quality professional service offerings

* facilitating the continued growth and development of the free software community

Our staff

Our staff has deep roots in the open source community and a proven track record of success in the commercial software industry. Team members include leaders from the Gnome, KDE, Linux, Debian and Bazaar open source projects, helping us to stay at the forefront of the rapidly changing open source software world.

Our community

We believe the open source community simply creates better software. Our community enables us to increase our development capacity many times over. Everyone collaborates. As a result, we deliver higher quality, more secure and more easily integrated software. And we do it more frequently than others do.

Our services

Services include 24x7 support and professional services, engineering services, and hardware and software certification for Ubuntu. Our global partner network offers local support, industry leading hardware and software from 300 companies globally. Our training programme offers classroom-based courses to help administrators obtain 'Ubuntu Certified Professional' status. UCP is a training certification based on the LPI level 1 certification.

Our distribution

Ubuntu is a community developed and supported project. Since its launch in October 2004, Ubuntu has become one of the most highly regarded Linux distributions with millions of users around the world. Every six months we select, test and bring together the world's best free and open source software, and make it freely available on common technology platforms.

Ubuntu will always be free to download, free to use and free to distribute to others. With these goals in mind, Ubuntu aims to be the most widely used Linux system, and is the centre of a global open source software ecosystem.

Ubuntu supports servers, desktops and laptops, and the following architectures from Intel, AMD and SUN: x86, x86-64, UltraSPARC.

I just started using Ubuntu/Linux last Monday and I'm still adjusting with the new environment

I was able to install program counterparts of what I am using in Windows and I am satsified with the results

Oh! That's great.

I hope you don't mind some additional advice then, regarding Synaptic and the Sources list.

You can manage your sources.list through Settings > Repositories. There's a tab for Third-Party Repositories where you paste the apt line in a field after pressing "Add". To remove those repositories, just uncheck what you'd like to remove; this will comment out the entry in sources.list. But if you want to completely remove an entry, select and press "remove".

You need to "reload" when you're done, of course. It's equivalent to "sudo apt-get update" in the terminal. :)

Oh! That's great.

I hope you don't mind some additional advice then, regarding Synaptic and the Sources list.

You can manage your sources.list through Settings > Repositories. There's a tab for Third-Party Repositories where you paste the apt line in a field after pressing "Add". To remove those repositories, just uncheck what you'd like to remove; this will comment out the entry in sources.list. But if you want to completely remove an entry, select and press "remove".

You need to "reload" when you're done, of course. It's equivalent to "sudo apt-get update" in the terminal. :)

I already installed Automatix2 but will try to learn how to use Synaptic

I'm wiping out my Hard Disk Today

Installing Ubuntu 7.10 as my primary OS, Windoze XP as my backup for accessing my Office VPN only

downloaded already some documentations in using Terminal

some commands are somehow similar to DOS Shell's command

help from anybody here..been using pclinuxos for quite some time..however hindi pa rin ako marunong kung pano mag connect sa internet using my 3g smart line..with windows xp wala problema,however i prefer to use linux..sino me alam kung pano?already tried googling for answers but so far have found none..

help from anybody here..been using pclinuxos for quite some time..however hindi pa rin ako marunong kung pano mag connect sa internet using my 3g smart line..with windows xp wala problema,however i prefer to use linux..sino me alam kung pano?already tried googling for answers but so far have found none..