Linux Anybody?

Mag-download ka ng Live CD ng mga distributions para makapagsanay ka nang kahit hindi mo ini-install yung OS.

Kung kumportable ka na, i-install mo at mag-dual boot ka muna kasabay ang Windows o kung ano mang ibang operating system na kinasanayan mo. Tapos, unti-unti mong subukang gawin sa Linux distribution na pinag-aaralan mo ang mga bagay na karaniwang ginagawa mo sa nakasanayang OS tulad ng word processing, paggawa ng mga spreadsheet, etc.

Sumali ka din sa mga forum, lalo na sa forum ng Linux distribution na kasalukuyan mong ginagamit. Huwag kang mahihiyang magtanong kahit sa tingin mo napakasimple lang ng bagay na gusto mong malaman-- lahat tayo dumaan sa ganyan. At gamitin ng puspusan ang search engines dahil kung Linux lang din ang pag-uusapan, maraming nakakalat sa Web na documentation at tutorial.

At, huwag matakot sa Command Line. Napaka-powerful na tool ng Linux CLI, madami kang magagawa gamit ito. Basta dahan-dahan lang sa pag-copy-paste ng mga codes na ibinibigay sa iyo at meron din naman mga taran**dong pakalat-kalat sa mga forum na nagbibigay ng mga makapanirang codes.

I-bookmark mo ito, para reference: http://www.ss64.com/bash/

:)

recently bought this eeepc laptop for convenience sake and its size. I'm just at a lost on how to install mysql browser and mysql administrator so i can do my database thingy. i'd like to install also jcreator hehehe...

Also i wanted to install some other applications... anyone knows how to do this in a xandro distro?

I'm so tempted to format this and turn it into a ubuntu thing but that takes a lot of steps and time which unfortunately i don't have.

recently bought this eeepc laptop for convenience sake and its size. I'm just at a lost on how to install mysql browser and mysql administrator so i can do my database thingy. i'd like to install also jcreator hehehe...

Also i wanted to install some other applications... anyone knows how to do this in a xandro distro?

I'm so tempted to format this and turn it into a ubuntu thing but that takes a lot of steps and time which unfortunately i don't have.

men not sure exactly about the mysql browser, but normally mysql uses phpmyadmin to access and administer databases. but the phpmyadmin requires apache and php on the server. i would suggest use a distro that is widely used if you are still starting with linux like ubuntu for example.

damn i knew it..i have to have drivers for the modem for sony ericsson phone to work on linux for the 3g connection..unfortunately they only support windows right now..anyway thanks for the suggestions..if anybody here knows a workaround to this problem pls let me know..

are you using your phone as a 3g wireless modem for your pc?

if yes what OS of the phone and the pc?

need more details bro. :)

Have to had a look here:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

I use that pair too, as opposed to PHPMyAdmin. But I do get mine from the Ubuntu repositories.

help from anybody here..been using pclinuxos for quite some time..however hindi pa rin ako marunong kung pano mag connect sa internet using my 3g smart line..with windows xp wala problema,however i prefer to use linux..sino me alam kung pano?already tried googling for answers but so far have found none..

damn i knew it..i have to have drivers for the modem for sony ericsson phone to work on linux for the 3g connection..unfortunately they only support windows right now..anyway thanks for the suggestions..if anybody here knows a workaround to this problem pls let me know..

are you using your phone as a 3g wireless modem for your pc?

if yes what OS of the phone and the pc?

need more details bro. :)

Same here.

Setting Up Your Phone

First step is to set the mobile phone up to act as a modem. Go to Settings (bottom right icon on the main icon-menu, if you are using KUBUNTU) and move across until you find Connectivity. This is the section for setting up any networking or file transfer settings for the phone.

In this list is an entry for USB. Clicking this should bring up a list showing USB Internet (and also "USB Connection" although this will be greyed out if your phone is not connected). Select USB Internet and then you will be presented with another list showing "Turn on" and "USB data accounts".

First select "USB data accounts". Here you can choose which account to use to transfer the data - normally you will not want to use a WAP account (for cost reasons) and should instead choose Internet. On my Vodafone account this was labelled as "Contract Internet" on Orange it is labelled "Orange GPRS Internet" and so on. Check your contract or talk to your provided to find out which to use if you're unsure.

When you select an account you will be back to the previous list. Now select "Turn on" and you will be presented with a message informing that the phone will now automatically access the internet when a USB is connected. Your phone is now ready to use.

Connecting Your Cable

Simply plug in the USB cable into your computer and then into the phone. You phone should display a menu when this happens offering you "Transfer mode" or "Phone mode". Select the second one and your phone will turn itself into a modem.

Then... open Firefox and browse.

Mag-download ka ng Live CD ng mga distributions para makapagsanay ka nang kahit hindi mo ini-install yung OS.

Kung kumportable ka na, i-install mo at mag-dual boot ka muna kasabay ang Windows o kung ano mang ibang operating system na kinasanayan mo. Tapos, unti-unti mong subukang gawin sa Linux distribution na pinag-aaralan mo ang mga bagay na karaniwang ginagawa mo sa nakasanayang OS tulad ng word processing, paggawa ng mga spreadsheet, etc.

Sumali ka din sa mga forum, lalo na sa forum ng Linux distribution na kasalukuyan mong ginagamit. Huwag kang mahihiyang magtanong kahit sa tingin mo napakasimple lang ng bagay na gusto mong malaman-- lahat tayo dumaan sa ganyan. At gamitin ng puspusan ang search engines dahil kung Linux lang din ang pag-uusapan, maraming nakakalat sa Web na documentation at tutorial.

At, huwag matakot sa Command Line. Napaka-powerful na tool ng Linux CLI, madami kang magagawa gamit ito. Basta dahan-dahan lang sa pag-copy-paste ng mga codes na ibinibigay sa iyo at meron din naman mga taran**dong pakalat-kalat sa mga forum na nagbibigay ng mga makapanirang codes.

I-bookmark mo ito, para reference: http://www.ss64.com/bash/

:)

Thank you Sir....

Edited by GHANZKIE
Setting Up Your Phone

First step is to set the mobile phone up to act as a modem. Go to Settings (bottom right icon on the main icon-menu, if you are using KUBUNTU) and move across until you find Connectivity. This is the section for setting up any networking or file transfer settings for the phone.

In this list is an entry for USB. Clicking this should bring up a list showing USB Internet (and also "USB Connection" although this will be greyed out if your phone is not connected). Select USB Internet and then you will be presented with another list showing "Turn on" and "USB data accounts".

First select "USB data accounts". Here you can choose which account to use to transfer the data - normally you will not want to use a WAP account (for cost reasons) and should instead choose Internet. On my Vodafone account this was labelled as "Contract Internet" on Orange it is labelled "Orange GPRS Internet" and so on. Check your contract or talk to your provided to find out which to use if you're unsure.

When you select an account you will be back to the previous list. Now select "Turn on" and you will be presented with a message informing that the phone will now automatically access the internet when a USB is connected. Your phone is now ready to use.

Connecting Your Cable

Simply plug in the USB cable into your computer and then into the phone. You phone should display a menu when this happens offering you "Transfer mode" or "Phone mode". Select the second one and your phone will turn itself into a modem.

Then... open Firefox and browse.

Thanks, by the way, my copy of ubuntu just arrive last week, I spend P85 all in to have my suking postman to retrive it for me.

Thanks, by the way, my copy of ubuntu just arrive last week, I spend P85 all in to have my suking postman to retrive it for me.

just got my ubuntu from the mail

and they were delivered right in my doorstep, no charge at all

already downloaded the ubuntu 7.10 ISO weeks ago before ordering the CD's

right now, I'm having Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu sessions in my machine

of the three, I like Xubuntu the most, much more responsive and faster

im sorry, but why do need to install different versions of ubuntu? or do you mean you installed the base ubuntu version then installed the other desktop environments separately?

you just need to install ubuntu 7.10

after that, you can install KDE and XCFE environment using synaptic

If you prefer in having only the GNOME environment in your machine, then it's your choice

but right now, I'm learning on how to make my ubuntu look like a Mac OS X Leopard

meow, I saw how it looks and you might mistook it with the real Mac OS X

yes, i know you can install separately. i was just wondering why you call the desktop environments via their ubuntu release names (kubuntu, xubuntu) and not by the desktop environment names - KDE, xfce, gnome. i thought you installed 3 separate releases just to see which one's faster. if you want responsive, try enlightenment. although technically is just a window manager not a full desktop environment.

i think the mac os x theme (with the universal toolbar on top) is still (and will always be) buggy. if you want mac os x looks get the real thing for your pc ;) --- http://www.osx86project.org/

I have an Acer Aspire 2000 Laptop

Centrino 1.4Ghz (SSE2)

Tried locating the best OSX86 release and so far they have different experience in installing Mac OS

what would you suggest I download?

first post on my newly set up SUSE linux

5 year ago i was able to set up caldera linux

i will never forget the caldera distro, ito ang unang nagpadugo sa utak ko. i remember way back then all of my friends are yung redhat, just to be different i tried caldera. i tried installing once, at hindi ko na ulit. pati yung windows partition ko nabasag dahil sa hayop na distro na to.

Edited by serpentor_ph