Linux Anybody?

pentium 200 mmx

32mb ram

10gb hd

running on dsl

cheers !!!

isnt it ironic that while an upgrade in windows OS requires more hardware resources while LINUX allow us to enjoy computing with downgraded hardware

i have successfully downgraded my linux hardware from Athlon 1.1Ghz to K6-2 500MHz & in the process of reviving my K6 266MHz

Would like to inquire from the Linux masters here regarding opening old MSWord files in OpenOffice.

We've switched to Ubuntu in the office, but we have problems opening MSWord files because the vertical spacing of the font is different in Ubuntu and MSWindows. When the same file is opened in OpenOffice for Windows, the line spacing is correct.

Is there a Linux disto that has a similar font vertical spacing as windows? Or is there a font file that can be used for Ubuntu that will maintain the same vertical spacing? I've already tried installing MSWindows fonts in Ubuntu, but the vertical line spacing is the same. Is it possible to adjust the vertical line spacing of the fonts in Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

musta na mga linux addict. im using mandriva linux 9. im planning to make my laptop running 4 os. mandriva, xp, ubuntu, feodora core at suse. linux addict din ako kaso i admit in 5 years using linux i need to learn more. anyway sau floppy drive try mo muna ang basics in printing like paragraph edditing and page set up. kasi magkaakiba ang set up ng font nyan. like ung font size ng mozilla sa xp at mozilla sa linux. i notice maliliit ang font size ng linux.

old fave mo ba to, eh disaster sa akin tong distro na to. :lol:

hahaha! backread ko lang po. still remember nung student pa ako. umiyak pa ako dahilsa caldera distros, basta ang hirap iinstall ng rpm nito. ok na sana nun kasi mandrake pa yung linux ko nun. all of the sudden nagcrash ang os. then next installation nabura ang fat32 ko. :( :(

Would like to inquire from the Linux masters here regarding opening old MSWord files in OpenOffice.

We've switched to Ubuntu in the office, but we have problems opening MSWord files because the vertical spacing of the font is different in Ubuntu and MSWindows. When the same file is opened in OpenOffice for Windows, the line spacing is correct.

Is there a Linux disto that has a similar font vertical spacing as windows? Or is there a font file that can be used for Ubuntu that will maintain the same vertical spacing? I've already tried installing MSWindows fonts in Ubuntu, but the vertical line spacing is the same. Is it possible to adjust the vertical line spacing of the fonts in Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

all the files? that's strange.

maybe you can look around ubuntuforums.org or openoffice.org?

hahaha! backread ko lang po. still remember nung student pa ako. umiyak pa ako dahilsa caldera distros, basta ang hirap iinstall ng rpm nito. ok na sana nun kasi mandrake pa yung linux ko nun. all of the sudden nagcrash ang os. then next installation nabura ang fat32 ko. :( :(

linux has a unique file system structure

/ -> /dev/hda1

swap -> /dev/hda2

/home -> /dev/hda3

win partition -> /dev/hda4

if your system crashes you dont need to repartition the disk & reformat the /home or the win partition for that matter

destruction of a hd partition will only happen if you have agreed to the recommended partition of the linux installation which is totally different from the existing partition

problem ko daming linux na nde nagrun sa laptop lalo na ung mga may sata na hardisk. ubuntu ultimate saka madriva 6.0 nde nagrun sa laptop ko. nde nya madetect hard disk ko. im just waiting for next version of does linux.

Di po ako linux expert pero tiningnan nyo na po ba yung setting nung bios.

Nabasa ko dun sa isang thread na compaq presario gamit mo.

Sa bios kasi nun meron enhanced sata support which is turned on by default.

Disabling that feature will let legacy OS see the harddrive.

I hope this helps.

walang enhance sata support sa bios ko. hindi na sya katulad ng dati bios sa compaq na may nakalagay na enhance sata support. anyway maiinstall ko din yan pag nagkatime ako. gusto ko kasi is novell suse. anyway sa caldera i was young that time ala pa ako idea about sa mounting and file system pero later on natuto ako. like hda0, hda1. that time wala akong idea sa ganun. thanks rin kasi buhay ang thread na to.

walang enhance sata support sa bios ko. hindi na sya katulad ng dati bios sa compaq na may nakalagay na enhance sata support. anyway maiinstall ko din yan pag nagkatime ako. gusto ko kasi is novell suse. anyway sa caldera i was young that time ala pa ako idea about sa mounting and file system pero later on natuto ako. like hda0, hda1. that time wala akong idea sa ganun. thanks rin kasi buhay ang thread na to.

check the distro's readme/install docs, most modern distributions includes a kernel (including boot kernel) with sata support. some distro's even allows you to pass boot driver parameters as you boot the installation cds.

para maging compatible ang open office at ms office i copy ang mga font ng winxp na meron office sa font folder ng open office, u will notice kapag na open mo ang doc sa open office na gawa sa ms office parehong pareho na sila, beware of clip art and tables etc... na microsoft office specific kc indi ito usable sa open office.

:)