Linux Anybody?

Hi experts! Like to ask help from you guys about the ubuntu I downloaded from their site...I tried to install it both through windows and booting from the cd but after the ubuntu logo and the progress bar appear..it will only show a blank screen..is there an issue with that copy or is it my laptop?...please help my out I would like to try it out...thanx! :headsetsmiley:

I install my ubuntu using version 7.1 cd, from there I upgraded to 8.4

I assume that's Ubuntu.

No there shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, it is ubuntu 8.04.

How about the video settings? I heard that linux is very particular about the exact specifications of various components. In my case it would be a change from a wide screen LCD monitor to a standard CRT monitor (16:1 to 4:3). Any problems that might crop up? Thanks.

@johnlove

I had Ubuntu 8.04 installation before and had no problem switching displays. From my experience Ubuntu should be able to detect and adjust the display settings but I've seen in forums that there are people who have display problems in Ubuntu. Maybe you can change to a safe resolution (ex.: 800x600) first before changing to the CRT.

@johnlove

I had Ubuntu 8.04 installation before and had no problem switching displays. From my experience Ubuntu should be able to detect and adjust the display settings but I've seen in forums that there are people who have display problems in Ubuntu. Maybe you can change to a safe resolution (ex.: 800x600) first before changing to the CRT.

just to add, also check your monitor refresh rate.

hi ubuntu experts! we are about to buy a dozen PCs but before we do that, please

have a look at the specs and see if it will run ubuntu 7.04 or higher.

these are the CHEAPEST cpu specs we can find because the pcs will just be used for word processing,

spreadsheet, and other mundane office tasks.

*processor: sempron 2 ghz (LE-1150) socket am2

*motherboard: elite GF6100PM-MZL AM2/DDR2/PCIE/V/S/LAN

*memory: kingston 1GB ddr2 pc667

reactions/suggestions please, TIA :)

meron bang auto Cad na opensource that runs on linux?

sorry for being OT, but have you considered retaining the windows OS but use a free autocad program?

A9 works great for ordinary drafting. it's just like autocad, there's just no chamfer command and

you can only draw in 2d. you can use google's sketchup for 3d.

just a suggestion :)

ubuntu ftw!

second the motion hehe

Hello bros, you might know me as a Mac user.

But I would like to know if anyone in this thread has had any experience with an app called CROSSOVER from Codebreakers. They are now selling it for Linux and Mac OS and I am trying to gather feedback before buying. The program lets you run Windows apps without needing to install Windows. I have downloaded the 30-day demo and so far most mainstream apps work.

i was wondering what would be the difference with linux and windows?

is it more accessible for everyday use?

im planning to buy a laptop that doesnt have windows app

the major difference between linux & windows is that linux is FREE

most linux distribution comes with free application like OPEN-Office

hi ubuntu experts! we are about to buy a dozen PCs but before we do that, please

have a look at the specs and see if it will run ubuntu 7.04 or higher.

these are the CHEAPEST cpu specs we can find because the pcs will just be used for word processing,

spreadsheet, and other mundane office tasks.

*processor: sempron 2 ghz (LE-1150) socket am2

*motherboard: elite GF6100PM-MZL AM2/DDR2/PCIE/V/S/LAN

*memory: kingston 1GB ddr2 pc667

reactions/suggestions please, TIA :)

linux brings to life even much older PC specs