Linux Anybody?

Guest Leviticus
has anyone tried wine?

reviews pls. tia!

masarap ang wine lalo na yung matamis na variety at hindi yung maasim.

hehe.. seriously..

wine still has a long way to go in terms of emulating windows. for some programs ok ang takbo nya (quickbooks, office, some media players, a few games).

Guest Leviticus
i was hoping to use it for some windo$e appz

maybe i should try linspire

same din for linspire.. you still have to install Wine. actually, madali lang maginstall sa ubuntu (you're using ubuntu, right?). aayusin mo lang ang mga repositories. galing nga sa ubuntu eh. may menu na agad sa applications unlike sa mga ibang linux wala (haven't tried on a suse though..).

i believe thats for players..i need something along the lines of blender3d and flash..yung mga creators.. :) ty

Blender is readily available, just install it from the repos.

Flash, I think still has no Linux alternative but if you're still comfortable using version 8 Pro, it runs fine in Wine.

Video editing, I would personally recommend Cinelerra. I have just in fact, over the weekend, finished a project using it. It's not very hard to use, just imagine using a multi-track Windows Movie Maker. I'm even tempted to compare it to Premiere but then I have not used the latter in a very long time. Cinelerra can also be used as a music editor, just delete the video track and choose to render audio only. It supports lots of formats. The version I'm using can be found here: http://cvs.cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php

If you're into MIDI, Rosegarden is the best! But you'll have to get either the lowlatency or real-time kernel to make it work properly. You'll also need to have TiMiDiTy++ installed. Here's a great guide: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~djm/ubuntu/feisty/#timidity, then install Rosegarden from the repos.

If you're into transcoding, you should also have the Medibuntu repos enabled because they have a better ffmpeg version (or so I'm told). I would also recommend installing ffmpeg2theora and mencoder. And that's where you get additional, non-free codecs. You might also want to visit this thread in the UbuntuForums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=567016

For imaging software, there's really a lot to choose from. I prefer combining The GIMP with Inkscape and ImageMagick. I think you'll find a nice multi-image resize-and-make-thumbnail script that I wrote (hehehe) for ImageMagick somewhere in the back pages of this thread. You can also try Krita if you're more comfortable working on a Photoshop-like interface-- but I'm really not a fan.

Ayun. :)

i believe thats for players..i need something along the lines of blender3d and flash..yung mga creators.. :) ty

Blender is readily available, just install it from the repos.

Flash, I think still has no Linux alternative but if you're still comfortable using version 8 Pro, it runs fine in Wine.

Video editing, I would personally recommend Cinelerra. I have just in fact, over the weekend, finished a project using it. It's not very hard to use, just imagine using a multi-track Windows Movie Maker. I'm even tempted to compare it to Premiere but then I have not used the latter in a very long time. Cinelerra can also be used as a music editor, just delete the video track and choose to render audio only. It supports lots of formats. The version I'm using can be found here: http://cvs.cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php

If you're into MIDI, Rosegarden is the best! But you'll have to get either the lowlatency or real-time kernel to make it work properly. You'll also need to have TiMiDiTy++ installed. Here's a great guide: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~djm/ubuntu/feisty/#timidity, then install Rosegarden from the repos.

If you're into transcoding, you should also have the Medibuntu repos enabled because they have a better ffmpeg version (or so I'm told). I would also recommend installing ffmpeg2theora and mencoder. And that's where you get additional, non-free codecs. You might also want to visit this thread in the UbuntuForums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=567016

For imaging software, there's really a lot to choose from. I prefer combining The GIMP with Inkscape and ImageMagick. I think you'll find a nice multi-image resize-and-make-thumbnail script that I wrote (hehehe) for ImageMagick somewhere in the back pages of this thread. You can also try Krita if you're more comfortable working on a Photoshop-like interface-- but I'm really not a fan.

Ayun. :)

i have a need for a flash editor w/o resorting to installing adobe.

That's going to be a problem. Flash is, of course, an Adobe product so there's really no going around them.

But if you'd like to learn something new, why not try experimenting with SVG and Javascript for making animated presentations for the web? It seems pretty cool, although at this stage, browser support is very poor.

If you're building media players, I think iTheora is worth a look. I've been playing around with it on-and-off. It uses the Cortado Java Applet to stream Theora/Vorbis files. I have samples in my site, if you care to have a look. You can find them here:

http://www.abcruz.com/index.php?args=Devel...loits_In_Media/

:)

There's GyachI (Gyache Improved). You can look for it in the UbuntuForums, it has it's own thread there since one of the contributors uses Ubuntu (and is Pinoy too). :)

I've been using it since 7.04 but for some reason, the webcam utility in 7.10 version doesn't work for me.

But if you're running KDE, there's always Kopete. It also runs in Gnome but I find it rather slow in this environment.

Edited by Samhain13

The only open source editor that I came across to is the F4L I mentioned earlier. I did try it but at the time, it doesn't do very well; and from what I read, development seemed to have come to a long pause. I never looked at it again for the simple reason that I can run my Flash 8 Pro just fine under Wine. I have no idea is the later versions are already supported though.

There are, of course, open source PLAYERS that I believe are widely available. Gnash is the first thing that comes to mind. But then, they are players and not editors.

The only open source editor that I came across to is the F4L I mentioned earlier. I did try it but at the time, it doesn't do very well; and from what I read, development seemed to have come to a long pause. I never looked at it again for the simple reason that I can run my Flash 8 Pro just fine under Wine. I have no idea is the later versions are already supported though.

There are, of course, open source PLAYERS that I believe are widely available. Gnash is the first thing that comes to mind. But then, they are players and not editors.

i hope they come up with an open source version soon.

this is one of the reasons why designers should not use linux - lack of good tools.

Eh? :rolleyes:

Tools are only as good as the people who use them. In other forums, there's so much debate about tool vs tool like GIMP vs Photoshop. But what good is either if the person using it lacks the talent? Conversely, a person who has talent, whether acquired or developed, can manifest his talent regardless of what tool he uses. Besides, Flash 8 is still a good application-- unless of course one heavily relies on pre-built functionality and does not care to learn ActionScript for customising functionality-- and it runs fine in Linux, through Wine.

i hope they come up with an open source version soon.

I hope so too. But I think the real problem here is that Flash itself is not open source so interested developers may find themselves faced with legal issues, in terms of patents and what-have-you's. It would be wonderful though if Adobe were to make Flash open source to allow for broader community development, the way Netscape did with its browser and its rendering engine. But then, that's entirely up to Adobe and their business plans.

Edited by Samhain13

I'm installing VLC Media Player for Kubuntu 6.06 and I'm getting this error

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)

E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

would appreciate your help in unlocking the directory

Thanks!

I hope so too. But I think the real problem here is that Flash itself is not open source so interested developers may find themselves faced with legal issues, in terms of patents and what-have-you's. It would be wonderful though if Adobe were to make Flash open source to allow for broader community development, the way Netscape did with its browser and its rendering engine. But then, that's entirely up to Adobe and their business plans.

:( too bad adobe is mostly concerned with $$$ just like micro$oft :D

I'm installing VLC Media Player for Kubuntu 6.06 and I'm getting this error

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)

E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

would appreciate your help in unlocking the directory

Thanks!

shell into your machine, check mo mga running processes. baka nakakabad yung dpkg process kasi may gumagamit na ibang apps. k*ll mo muna yun.

Guest Leviticus
what file types can vlc play?

how about mp3s?

videolan (aka vlc)?

it can play ALL formats (well.. all formats that I've encountered: mp3, mp4, wav, flv, rmvb, and it's the devault dvd player in my suse).

the F4L developers were sued by adobe, and were told to stop development.seems that flash is M$-locked for now.

btw guy, will be taking a hiatus for a while, ciao!

Edited by Ryuji_tanaka