Law on Taxation

All foreign entities operating in the Philippines are taxed tripe the rate as stated in 1 and 2.

I know you just want to be "nationalistic"... pero medyo misplaced yata ang sentiments mo. What the country needs is for foreign investments to come in and NOT to discourage it.

TAX BREAKS dapat for foreigners who want to invest in the country. Just what Ramos did to attract foreign investors. Hey, I don't know about you guys, but personally, I actually felt the "economic boom" during the heydays of Mr. Ramos.

Parang unfair ang tax breaks for foreginers, I know, but you see, we are competing against the likes of VietNam, Indonesia, etc. Sorry na lang tayo, we need the dollars more than they need us... so, kapit sa patalim kumbaga.

I know you just want to be "nationalistic"... pero medyo misplaced yata ang sentiments mo. What the country needs is for foreign investments to come in and NOT to discourage it.

TAX BREAKS dapat for foreigners who want to invest in the country. Just what Ramos did to attract foreign investors. Hey, I don't know about you guys, but personally, I actually felt the "economic boom" during the heydays of Mr. Ramos.

Parang unfair ang tax breaks for foreginers, I know, but you see, we are competing against the likes of VietNam, Indonesia, etc. Sorry na lang tayo, we need the dollars more than they need us... so, kapit sa patalim kumbaga.

economic boom was felt during ramos days because because gov't then had budget surplus.

gov't sold a lot of government properties hence the surplus.

overall RP had a good run during ramos days, kaya lang si erap yung sumunod.

Yup, and furthermore, ni-reverse ni Erap yung mga tax-incentive-policies ni Ramos. Kaya namatay ang special economic zones. Texas Instruments was supposed to investment a cool 1 BILLION US DOLLARS in the Bataan Economic Zone (largest wafer manufacturing plant outside the US dapat). Kaso dahil napaka-unpredictable ng Philippines (they found out), so they shopped around elsewhere in Southeast Asia.

Other factors kung kaya umayaw sa Bataan ang TI was NPA harrassment (Matell pulled out because of this), NO INFRASTRUCTURE (wafer manufacturing needs lots of clean water and stable source of electricity -- hindi pwedeng isang kidlat lang eh brownout na). And of course, the deal breaker, PREDICTABILITY in goverment policies. hindi pwedeng tax break today, triple tax tomorrow.

Yup, and furthermore, ni-reverse ni Erap yung mga tax-incentive-policies ni Ramos. Kaya namatay ang special economic zones. Texas Instruments was supposed to investment a cool 1 BILLION US DOLLARS in the Bataan Economic Zone (largest wafer manufacturing plant outside the US dapat). Kaso dahil napaka-unpredictable ng Philippines (they found out), so they shopped around elsewhere in Southeast Asia.

Other factors kung kaya umayaw sa Bataan ang TI was NPA harrassment (Matell pulled out because of this), NO INFRASTRUCTURE (wafer manufacturing needs lots of clean water and stable source of electricity -- hindi pwedeng isang kidlat lang eh brownout na). And of course, the deal breaker, PREDICTABILITY in goverment policies. hindi pwedeng tax break today, triple tax tomorrow.

there so many ways to attract foreign investments, pero sa akin important is transparent and consistency.

right now then plan to pass a law moving non-working holidays to mondays or fridays, i mean ano pa meaning nung bonifacio day (nov. 30) if we don't celebrate (by means of no work/school) on the day itself. very inconsistent and very confusing, plus all those special holidays costs double for businesses

kicx,

Last I heard, Sen. Mar Roxas has proposed a bill para hindi na confusing ang holidays. As in, start of the year palang, buo na dapat ang calendar of holidays. Hindi na pwedeng kumati lang pwet ng mga naka-upo sa Malacanang eh holiday na...

yup i heard it too, pero isipin mo, ano meaning ng isang holiday if you don't celebrate it on the day itself? some holidays are meant for us to reflect on the things that our forefathers have died for, we just can't move it para lang may long weekend.

para hindi OT,

they should pass a law banning the jeepneys in the metro.

why?

1. not effecient

2. safety - no safety features

3. pollution - most them use reconditioned/surplus

4. antiquated - it does not already serve the purpose of a metropolis anymore.

we should start developing other mode of mass transportation

yup i heard it too, pero isipin mo, ano meaning ng isang holiday if you don't celebrate it on the day itself? some holidays are meant for us to reflect on the things that our forefathers have died for, we just can't move it para lang may long weekend.

para hindi OT,

they should pass a law banning the jeepneys in the metro.

why?

1. not effecient

2. safety - no safety features

3. pollution - most them use reconditioned/surplus

4. antiquated - it does not already serve the purpose of a metropolis anymore.

we should start developing other mode of mass transportation

Ehr, kicx, you do realize that any politician that even tries to propose this bill will be lynched by the public? Over half (and perhaps up to 75%) of the Metro Manila population (not even including other metro areas such as Metro Cebu and Metro Davao which do not have the LRT/MRT) ride in jeeps. The politicians know jeepneys are a inefficient polluting mode of transportation, but the lobbying by the Jeepney groups can paralyze the country.

Instead, implement a law tightening the regulations on all vehicles as well as drivers.

1.) Vehicle Registration --> Free (or very low) for the first 5 years, then 30% of the list price of the vehicle on the 6th year, escalating by 5% every year thereafter.

This will encourage vehicle owners to junk (we can salvage the parts and process them) their old polluting vehicles and purchase new ones. So as to not hit the pocket too much, perhaps the 100% luxury tax on vehicles can be removed or lowered to 10%.

2.) Driver Licencing --> Tighten the damned tests. Drivers with X tickets cannot renew for a period of Y years.

Okay, its a little basic, but I'm sure it can be streamlined and made workable.

Guest Leviticus
Propose a law :

1.  Give quota to all congreeman and senators a certain number of laws must be pass per yr and if they fall behind they will be banned from public office for life. para matangal ang mga tamad at political dynasty.

yeah right.. parang yung so-called ticketing system ng MMDA dapat may quota ang mga yan para by the end of the day may "kita".

kahit na gaano karami ang maipasa na laws nila problema pa rin ang implementation of laws. example na lang ang no smoking law. ano na nangyari? anti-smoke belching law, etc. I even remember a law prohibiting driving a dirty vehicle in the metropolis, may corresponding fine pa.

economic boom was felt during ramos days because because gov't then had budget surplus.

gov't sold a lot of government properties hence the surplus.

ayun nga nga pinagtataka ko bakit madami dito galit kay Ramos i guess you cannot please everybody, anyway i also felt this economic recovery during Ramos time sayang nga lang dapat nag stay pa sya ng mahabang panahon sa presidency at na change na sana sa parliamentary ang pilipinas kung hindi dahil sa pakikialam ni Cardinal Sin eh di sana iba na form of govt natin ngayon. mga pari talaga pakialamero dapat ipako sa krus he he ..

opinion lang po..

yeah right.. parang yung so-called ticketing system ng MMDA dapat may quota ang mga yan para by the end of the day may "kita". 

kahit na gaano karami ang maipasa na laws nila problema pa rin ang implementation of laws.  example na lang ang no smoking law.  ano na nangyari?  anti-smoke belching law, etc.  I even remember a law prohibiting driving a dirty vehicle in the metropolis, may corresponding fine pa.

dude you mean ok lang sayo yung hindi nag tatrabaho ang mga politicians, tama lang lagyan ng quota ang mga yan they are elected by the people to create a law, you are depriving the people of a better politician if we keep on this current attitude. you may be right there are many laws already but what the hek its the problem of the enforcer to implement the law bec its their job, the job of the congressmen senator is to create a law so let them do their work and if they dont do it they must be kicked out..

Hindi naman po mabigat para sa kinala kasi kung magsisimula lahat sa 1% rate, ano ang 3% rate sakanila. Pabor sa kanila kasi mas maliit pa sa current tax rate.

Yun nga lang sa pagiging nationalistic sana nga kapwa pinoy ang inuunang tulungan hindi unang sinisingil. :)

kahit na gaano karami ang maipasa na laws nila problema pa rin ang implementation of laws.  example na lang ang no smoking law.  ano na nangyari?  anti-smoke belching law, etc.  I even remember a law prohibiting driving a dirty vehicle in the metropolis, may corresponding fine pa.

ha ha ...

this sucks! how can you compare MMDA scheme to a quota for creating laws. sa post mo parang kunsinti mo ang mga idle politicians pero sa other post mo your disgrunted by the govt for not working parang conflict yata ang utak mo pare. I think we should force those idle politicians to do their work thats why i proposed for them to be given a quota bec it is their job to create a law kasehodang madami nang law besides from what i know there is a regulating body who studied proposed law kung may kapareho na ito bago nila ipasa ang law sa lower house, basta ang importante their are working instead of arguing on their differences. It is the job of the congressman and senators to create a law and they should do their job diba ?

Ehr, kicx, you do realize that any politician that even tries to propose this bill will be lynched by the public? Over half (and perhaps up to 75%) of the Metro Manila population (not even including other metro areas such as Metro Cebu and Metro Davao which do not have the LRT/MRT) ride in jeeps. The politicians know jeepneys are a inefficient polluting mode of transportation, but the lobbying by the Jeepney groups can paralyze the country.

Instead, implement a law tightening the regulations on all vehicles as well as drivers.

1.) Vehicle Registration --> Free (or very low) for the first 5 years, then 30% of the list price of the vehicle on the 6th year, escalating by 5% every year thereafter.

This will encourage vehicle owners to junk (we can salvage the parts and process them) their old polluting vehicles and purchase new ones. So as to not hit the pocket too much, perhaps the 100% luxury tax on vehicles can be removed or lowered to 10%.

2.) Driver Licencing --> Tighten the damned tests. Drivers with X tickets cannot renew for a period of Y years.

Okay, its a little basic, but I'm sure it can be streamlined and made workable.

in the 70s tricycle was a major mode of transpo in taiwan and it was like hell to travel around the city, they thought it would be impossible to remove them from the streets, but they did with "political will"

i'm not really anti jeep or i would like to make commuting like hell, for me as long as we have jeepneys in our major cities this country will not move forward. jeepney is a symbol of chaos. as long as we have jeepneys in the metropolis people will never learn to load or unload in properly, drivers will never be discipline, and the only safety feature is the seatbelt for the driver and the front passenger seat

i know the kung gaano kadami ang commuters natin, but in other progressive countries they don't have jeepneys and yet they survive, surely we can survive to, and if we start replacing these junk with the more efficient ones, then this country can really start moving forward

Guest Leviticus
ha ha ...

this sucks! how can you compare MMDA scheme to a quota for creating laws. sa post mo parang kunsinti mo ang mga idle politicians pero sa other post mo your disgrunted by the govt for not working parang conflict yata ang utak mo pare.  I think we should force those idle politicians to do their work thats why i proposed for them to be given a quota bec it is their job to create a law kasehodang madami nang law besides from what i know there is a regulating body who studied proposed law kung may kapareho na ito bago nila ipasa ang law sa lower house, basta ang importante their are working instead of arguing on their differences.  It is the job of the congressman and senators to create a law and they should do their job diba ?

ehem.. it is a matter of quality over quality. hindi porke may ginagawang laws ibig sabihin productive siya in a sense. besides, ang IMPLIMENTATION ng law na yan ang main problem. im sure there will be a law that would promote the implementation of the law. bwahaha. that would be comical indeed.

hindi ko kunsinti ang mga "idle politicians". kunsinti ko ang mga politicians who are not doing their work per se and their extracurricular activities; example: DENR Sec. Defensor being the so-called spokesperson of GMA who conducted his investigation into the Garci tape, congressmen who publicly annouce that the roadwork project is because of them (A project of this and this and that and that), use of vehicles with red plates in malls and other unofficial places, etc.

ito law sana ma-umpisahan: Bawal Dumura sa kalsada and Bawal magtapnn basura sa kalsada. Anyone mahuhuli makukulong for 1 week or Fine na 10,000

Dapat maimplement yan kasi sasabihin simple lang pero hirap na hirap gawin.

Ang nabubuwisit ako pag may kasama ako chicks tapos bigla bubuksan yung bintana ng car ko tapos itatapon yung balat ng candy or yung cup ng softdrinks sa kalsada. Dun mo malalaman minsan kung ano klase tao kasama mo sa pag tatapon ng basura.

Sa mga tao mahilig magtapon ng basura: Kung may candy kayo tapos wla kayo makita basurahan, ilagay nyo muna sa bulsa nyo. Mahirap ba ilagay sa bulsa?

Kung pede nga lng ang parusa sa mga dumudura sa kalsada, higupin nila yung dinura nila.

May nabasa ako dati na isang congressman pumunta ng davao may tinapon ata na yosi sa kalsada pero pinapulot sa kanya ni Mayor Rodrigo Duterte. Pinapulot lng? Dapat yun Binatukan sa Batok.

Guest Leviticus
ito law sana ma-umpisahan: Bawal Dumura sa kalsada and Bawal magtapnn basura sa kalsada. Anyone mahuhuli makukulong for 1 week or Fine na 10,000

Dapat maimplement yan kasi sasabihin simple lang pero hirap na hirap gawin.

Ang nabubuwisit ako pag may kasama ako chicks tapos bigla bubuksan yung bintana ng car ko tapos itatapon yung balat ng candy or yung cup ng softdrinks sa kalsada. Dun mo malalaman minsan kung ano klase tao kasama mo sa pag tatapon ng basura.

Sa mga tao mahilig magtapon ng basura: Kung may candy kayo tapos wla kayo makita basurahan, ilagay nyo muna sa bulsa nyo. Mahirap ba ilagay sa bulsa?

Kung pede nga lng ang parusa sa mga dumudura sa kalsada, higupin nila yung dinura nila.

May nabasa ako dati na isang congressman pumunta ng davao may tinapon ata na yosi sa kalsada pero pinapulot sa kanya ni Mayor  Rodrigo Duterte. Pinapulot lng? Dapat yun Binatukan sa Batok.

Isama mo na rin ang umihi kahit saan. kaya nga may pink urinals but sige pa rin, lalo na ang mga lasing

pinakanakakatuwa na sign na nakita ko: "bawal ihi, putol titi"

siguro dapat implement yan ano?

May nabasa ako dati na isang congressman pumunta ng davao may tinapon ata na yosi sa kalsada pero pinapulot sa kanya ni Mayor  Rodrigo Duterte. Pinapulot lng? Dapat yun Binatukan sa Batok.

May sariling version nito si Dick Gordon nuong SBMA chairman pa siya either kainin mo yung kalat o magbayad ng multa... ginawa rin ito ni Mayor Hagedorn of Puerto Princessa. At kahit sila, hindi exempted sa batas na ito.

Hindi naman po mabigat para sa kinala kasi kung magsisimula lahat sa 1% rate, ano ang 3% rate sakanila. Pabor sa kanila kasi mas maliit pa sa current tax rate.

It's not a simple question of "mabigat o magaan". Kailangan tingnan natin ang competition. Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, China, etc, ... kailangan mas maganda ang "produkto" natin. Kundi sa kanila "bibili" ang customer. Yan ang rule of the game, wether we like it or not.

It's not a simple question of "mabigat o magaan". Kailangan tingnan natin ang competition. Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, China, etc, ... kailangan mas maganda ang "produkto" natin. Kundi sa kanila "bibili" ang customer. Yan ang rule of the game, wether we like it or not.

OK. I'd like to elaborate other considerations like in EPZA (Philippine Economic Zone Area) na mga establishments and factories ng mga foreign entities. There are plenty to tax and the government to profit from. If taxing them more than the country tax their citizens is one factor not to invest in the Philippines then they don't respect the countries care for its own people. I think they are satisfied with our productivity, they just hate our currency.

Wacky Dreamer,

Funny thing about this "special economic zones", my brother works for a US company which has manufacturing here in the Philippines. Anyway, they want to move a multi-million dollar equipment from one plant to another ... from one "special-zone" to another. Alam mo ba na gusto pang-i-tax ng DTI ang equipment na ito? For the few hours na lalabas sa "special zone"? RIDICULOUS!

Kung threatening sa eco-system natin alam ko dapat alisin hindi lang i-tax. I hope hindi naman yan.

It's no more threatening to the environment than 1 diesel powered bus in EDSA... Desperate lang talaga ang gobyerno natin... lahat gustong i-tax... alam kasi nila na may pera ang foreign investors. Di nila na-re-realize na irritated na ang mga ito sa ganitong pamamalakad... kaya't ang dami ng lumilipat sa CHINA!