PacMan's Corner

menime

actually now that I think about it, I'm ashamed for ODLH

a true champion never quits.

I've never seen a champion quit on his stool

Even when Manny destroyed Barrera and took his soul, It was Barrera's brother that threw in the towel and had to hold Barrera back into his corner.

Erik Morales took his beating like a man too.

Oscar knew he didn't have anything for Manny so he just stopped trying, which is shameful. Which is why the majority of Mexican boxing fans hate him.

============================================================================

Oscar knew then he will be KO'd the next round. That is the best thing to do to save his investments in promotional business. Imagine, promoting a fight with a picture of you sleeping on the canvass. Medyo nakakahiya naman yun.

Manny Pacquiao certainly has talent with power and speed. However, I am not impressed. He is digressing. His last few opponents are either aging or over the hill or past their prime. 35 for a boxer is like 55 for a corporate employee - near retirement. Why doesn't Manny fight with someone his age or in the proximity of his age or perhaps younger fighters? He is becoming a bully of aging boxers. Capitalizing on defeating somebody with a long track record but already past prime is not an accomplishment. It is only self-glorification to the chagrin of aging boxers who are trying to make a last hurrah before bowing out. Ricky Hatton is a wee bit older than Pacman and is looking forward to a fight. Why is Pacman quiet about this? Or is he going to pick on a retired Floyd Mayweather Jr?

Manny has talent, power and speed. Such a waste of talent. He has a better opportunity to prove himself better against boxers his age or younger.

it's a business and some peeps just had to get paid.

a good boxer can only go so far with a good promoter.

I'd define benta as someone who stopped trying, took the money and ran with it.

Dela Hoya stopped trying even before he got whacked in the eye.

he quit when he realized that there was no way on God's green earth that he could stay with Pacquiao.

so yeah, if you ask me, benta nga.

I don't really buy Dela Hoya's "I got more to lose in terms of legacy angle".

in this case, clearly, great big $$$ trump that.

if he really was concerned about his own stature in the sport, he should have stayed away from the ring.

oh well.

not everyday someone gets paid handsomely for a beatdown.

Heard the analysis of Al Mendoza, the veteran sports columnist, interviewed by Ted Failon and Korina Sanchez sa DZMM. He said that it was scripted kasi OldenBoy did not boxed/punched Pacman in the 6th and 7th round. Marami daw ganyan sa boxing and Al even went as far as naming boxing as the "red district of sports" Nilaglag daw ni DeLa Hoya ang laban. Any comments on this?

Im a Pacquiao fan but when I saw the pay per view main event video, clearly, nilaglag ni dela joya ang laban niya. from round 2 to 8. Wala akong nakitang counter punch na style niya..lahat ng patama niya walang pwersa..Sa pagitan ng mga punches niya ang tagal..hindi na nga siya dumedepensa.. pati nga mga trainer niya nagulat as I quote " You have to throw some punches or this game is finish". Panoorin nyo yung main event video ung walang commercial.

Why doesn't Manny fight with someone his age or in the proximity of his age or perhaps younger fighters? He is becoming a bully of aging boxers. Capitalizing on defeating somebody with a long track record but already past prime is not an accomplishment. It is only self-glorification to the chagrin of aging boxers who are trying to make a last hurrah before bowing out. Ricky Hatton is a wee bit older than Pacman and is looking forward to a fight. Why is Pacman quiet about this? Or is he going to pick on a retired Floyd Mayweather Jr?

Manny has talent, power and speed. Such a waste of talent. He has a better opportunity to prove himself better against boxers his age or younger.

Yes, enough of fighting Jurassic boxers. :lol:

kelan ba ung laban ni delahoya at forbes? this year lang diba? delahoya who fought pacman is still the delahoya who fought forbes. almost 7 months, he is 35 during that time, and 35 ngaun, im sorry to all pacman haters pero kung walang makatalo kay pacman dont cry like that.it just happen pacman is an exceptional fighter. un ang reason bakit kinumpara sya kay henry armstrong. he doesnt care about ht and wt. david diaz is just 3 years older than pacman, qualified sya na labanan si pacman si champion sya plus tinalo nya si morales. jorge solis is unbeaten during that day, marami nagsabi na sya ang tatapos sa career ni pacman they have the same age pero nauwi lang sa KO. morales is just 30(almost the same age ngaun ni pacman) nung 2 ulit syang talunin ni pacman? 30? too old na ba un? early aging? :D

nung naglaban si pacman at larios(age 30 still at his prime), pacman vs velazquez(that time he is 30 yrs of age) dont tell me early aging nanaman ang sakit nya.

how about this, 35 na si marquez sa huling laban nila ni pacman. ang tanong bakit nahirapan si pacman basagin si marquez kumpara kay delahoya?

its about matching up. hindi magkamatch si delahoy at pacman. sabi nga nila indeed its totally mismatch. pag umaasinta si delahoya nililito sya ni pacman sa continous head movement nya plus panay ang suntok nya sa kamay ni delahoya. sa 1st round panay ang pagcorner ni delahoya. pero may bagong galaw si pacman. in and out movement. magbibigay ng solidong 1-2 power punch sabay takbo atras. sa simula hindi naramdaman ni delahoya un. pero sa 5th round nagsimula ng magresulta ang sapak sa kanya.

tawa lang siguro ni marquez kay delahoya na kasing edad nya. counter punching ang pwedeng tumalo kay pacman, ang problem sa mas mabigat na timbang madalang ang mabilis mag counter. and un ang sinasamantala ni pacman( nanalo kay delahoya at diaz) at marquez(na nagpabagsak kay casamayor).

just accept there is an exceptional person. galing lang talaga ng strategy.

tyson ang isa sa victim ng magandang game plan. and george foreman.

same sentiments lang din tayo when Pacquiao beats down Barerra on their first meeting.

pero noong nakalaban na nya si Barerra and Morales in a series, nasabi ko na hindi na benta iyon.

nagkakataon lang siguro na talagang dominant si Pacquiao sa mga nakakalaban nya, tapos naman kung close ang fight like what happened sa laban nila ni JMM, sasabihin nyo naman na nakadaya si Pacman o talo talaga si Pacman.

aba, baka haters sign na yan...

lets be proud na lang at nakikila ang Philippines dahil sa talent nila.

hatton vs pacman can be a good match up. slugger type plus body puncher. kaso may bagong movement si pacm. in and out then 1-2 combo sabay atras. pang olympic na galaw, kasi dba konting round lang sa olympic kaya hindi problema ang management ng stamina. thats why nakakatuwa ang ginawa ni pacman since nakakapagod un, plus my power punch sya. i think if he continue this style of boxing he can beat those big guys. wag lang syang matyambahan ng malakas na body punch.

Edited by uaeboy25
Im a Pacquiao fan but when I saw the pay per view main event video, clearly, nilaglag ni dela joya ang laban niya. from round 2 to 8. Wala akong nakitang counter punch na style niya..lahat ng patama niya walang pwersa..Sa pagitan ng mga punches niya ang tagal..hindi na nga siya dumedepensa.. pati nga mga trainer niya nagulat as I quote " You have to throw some punches or this game is finish". Panoorin nyo yung main event video ung walang commercial.

As a former boxer during my younger years, I know how it feels when one tries to loose weight. Iba ang boxing kasi. Unlike in basketball, pwedeng magpahinga. In the case of dela hoya, yes, he WAS a great boxer but, really, ang hirap dumepensa kapag nanlalamig na ang pakiramdam mo after absorbing such beating. You have to defend yourself from an onslaught. Pacman did what he did best, suntok sa bodega then suntok sa ulo. So hard to defend such onslaught. I know the reason why delahoya was not throwing many punches. He was in hell during those time. Di lang natin nararamdaman pero, I assure you, the PAIN, the PAIN is reaping his inner body during the 2nd up to the last round. You can see through his movements. He was trying to box out of sheer mental state but his body was saying" ayoko na, please" Parang may ginugulping mandurukot sa quiapo, observe this, maraming bumubugbog sa kanya and mahirap depensahan ang sarili kasi your body is paralyzed by the continous blows. THAT was what happened and what was felt by Dela Hoya. So, I disagree with Al Mendoza, on his comments on why Dela Hoya stopped throwing punches in the latter rounds. Di kasi niya nalalaman ang nararamdaman ng fighters like me (mas lalo kung nagpababa ka ng timbang). You will really feel HELL ! A minute will run like an hour, wait ka ng wait sa final bell !

Yes, enough of fighting Jurassic boxers. :lol:

The younger boxers kasi are like "journeyman" boxers. After the boxers fought by PacMan, wala na talagang natural strong fighters. Some have records like 20-0; 15-0; but if you look closely at the backgrounds of their opponents....what? sino yun? parang mga tambay lang sa Bronx. And, boxing is business, just like mga business natin. The lesser known credible opponent, the lesser box office. So sino pa ba ang hindi Jurassic boxers sa weight class nila Dela Hoya, Pacman. Si Marquez? Jurassic na rin...Well, maybe, si Hatton. More money, more glory.!

good read & listen:

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/blog/

'Filipino' Arum blasts his fellow countryman

By Steve Cofield

There's nothing like a boxing post-fight press conference for sheer lunacy and hilarity. The post-fight presser included media members from all over the world and 500 or so fans who were "credentialed" which made the proceedings barely audible. Manny Pacquiao fans were estatic led by promoter Bob Arum and Filipino writer Recah Trinidad. But when the Philippine Inquirer's Trinidad tried to talk some trash to Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy promotion stable-mate Bernard Hopkins, Arum launched into a mini-tirade:

"We just want some clarification," said objective media member Trinidad. "You told us Manny Pacquiao would go to school but he sent Oscar to the hospital instead."

In a move remiscent of Michael Katz screaming "chicken De La Hoya" from the back of a crowded media room at a past Golden Boy fight, Trinidad (pictured on the right) then slinked down in his chair as "Brooklyn, Philippines-native" Arum scolded him:

"We're Filipinos and we don't gloat. We take pride in what Manny does but we do not gloat."

Click below to listen to the Arum/Trinidad/Hopkins exchange:

Hopkins went on to say Pacquiao was the better man.

Photo via Getty Images

Edited by tabouki

As a former boxer during my younger years, I know how it feels when one tries to loose weight. Iba ang boxing kasi. Unlike in basketball, pwedeng magpahinga. In the case of dela hoya, yes, he WAS a great boxer but, really, ang hirap dumepensa kapag nanlalamig na ang pakiramdam mo after absorbing such beating. You have to defend yourself from an onslaught. Pacman did what he did best, suntok sa bodega then suntok sa ulo. So hard to defend such onslaught. I know the reason why delahoya was not throwing many punches. He was in hell during those time. Di lang natin nararamdaman pero, I assure you, the PAIN, the PAIN is reaping his inner body during the 2nd up to the last round. You can see through his movements. He was trying to box out of sheer mental state but his body was saying" ayoko na, please" Parang may ginugulping mandurukot sa quiapo, observe this, maraming bumubugbog sa kanya and mahirap depensahan ang sarili kasi your body is paralyzed by the continous blows. THAT was what happened and what was felt by Dela Hoya. So, I disagree with Al Mendoza, on his comments on why Dela Hoya stopped throwing punches in the latter rounds. Di kasi niya nalalaman ang nararamdaman ng fighters like me (mas lalo kung nagpababa ka ng timbang). You will really feel HELL ! A minute will run like an hour, wait ka ng wait sa final bell !

Maraming naloko sa boksing na ito. Mga media at so-called boxing experts. Sa totoo lang benta ito noon pa. This is all about money. Don't pity De la hoya because he is laughing his way to the bank! Scripted nga pero di halata kasi pang-Oscar ang drama niya. Read everything DLH said before the fight because he was already giving a hint. Ha ha ha! Bilib ako sa iyo Al Mendosa. Nakita mo ang moro-moro. Sori na lang sa mga naloko. Sabagay sanay naman naloloko ang mga pilipino di ba ha ha ha! Tsk tsk tsk For those in the know, boxing is the refuge of scoundrels! Don't take it personal though 'cause it's all about economics he he he!

Maraming naloko sa boksing na ito. Mga media at so-called boxing experts. Sa totoo lang benta ito noon pa. This is all about money. Don't pity De la hoya because he is laughing his way to the bank! Scripted nga pero di halata kasi pang-Oscar ang drama niya. Read everything DLH said before the fight because he was already giving a hint. Ha ha ha! Bilib ako sa iyo Al Mendosa. Nakita mo ang moro-moro. Sori na lang sa mga naloko. Sabagay sanay naman naloloko ang mga pilipino di ba ha ha ha! Tsk tsk tsk For those in the know, boxing is the refuge of scoundrels! Don't take it personal though 'cause it's all about economics he he he!

Evidence? Hard evidence? Or just haka-haka? Just sheer imagination. Benta nuon pa? Sez who? Name names. If wala, its just ones imagination. Pero you are absolutely right on economics. hehehe! We all need money money money and pride pride pride. Pero wag lang bugbog.

Weighing in on the fight

spacer

By Ed Picson

Like everyone else, I was shocked at Oscar de la Hoya’s performance against Manny Pacquiao the other day. Actually, it was more like a non-performance.

Freddie Roach was so on the money when he said ODLH could no longer pull the trigger. Heck, Oscar came in unarmed last Sunday.

He tried a lame "My style is to go forward. Manny Pacquiao fought well on his toes and waited for me to make a mistake" excuse but we all know better.

Manny on the other hand came prepared to do battle. He entered the arena wearing a big grin, loose and bouncy, waving to the crowd and looking every bit the confident and eager warrior.

Oscar looked emaciated, glum, unsmiling and acted like a condemned man being led to the gallows.

Further analyses will serve no useful purpose at this time. Everyone saw what happened.

To be sure, there are different takes on the fight and Manny Pacquiao. We were curious as to how friends and acquaintances felt the day after the Sunday before. This is what I got:

Maria Montelibano, TV director: "The reactions of Filipinos worldwide simply affirm our need for heroes; the young especially showed their search for nobility and knights in shining armor."

Chot Reyes, coach, Talk ’N Text Tropang Texters: "What a testament to HEART, great COACHING, EXECUTION and Filipino pride."

Governor Oscar S. Moreno, Misamis Oriental: "Pacquiao has made us proud to be Filipinos once again. Yes, the Filipino can!"

Arben Santos, businessman: "Manny really prepared well. The added muscles in his upper body made him deliver stronger punches. Clearly Oscar struggled with the lower weight. Manny’s adrenaline flowed after the first round when he saw Oscar’s condition. A great day for Filipinos!"

Buddy Encarnado, ex-PBA chairman, board representative Sta. Lucia Realtors: "No doubt Manny has placed himself as the greatest Filipino boxer ever. I join the Filipino nation in celebrating his momentous feat at a time when everything in our country seems to be going bad."

Jess Mendoza, chairman, Letran Alumni Foundation Inc.: "A welcome surprise and thanks Manny, we needed that."

Freddie Ortiz, banker: "De la Hoya came out to make money and thought he could win with one lucky punch. Manny’s team-up with Roach was the clincher. Manny was his usual matapang and calculating self."

Willie Marcial, PBA Media Bureau chief: "Hindi nakaporma si Oscar. Pero tingin ko kahit nakaporma siya, talo pa rin siya sa mga galaw at suntok ni Manny."

Allan Gregorio, coach, Burger King: "Manny was all heart from the get go. Mabuhay ka, Manny! Mabuhay ang Pinoy!"

Atty. Lino Dumas, practicing lawyer: "Manny did his homework excellently. Epitomized the diligent and hard-working Filipino. Kudos Manny!"

Dominic Uy, sports commentator: "Domination by Pacquiao! Great win, but a bit disappointed. I expected a better fight."

Danny Espiritu, player agent/businessman: "In my mind, Manny fights best when he is the underdog. He’s the greatest in his class."

Michael Aldeguer, President, ALA Promotions: "Awesome! Fought an excellent fight that would be talked about for decades."

Meloy Casas, architect: "Great tactical fight by Pacquiao!"

Minnie Carbonell, businesswoman: "While Manny prepared well, Oscar did not give him a good fight. It seems he fought for the money and the right to promote the Pacquiao-Hatton fight."

Dong Capinpuyan, TV Director: "Manny is up there with Henry Armstrong as one of the greatest all-time pound for pound boxers."

Anthony Suntay, sports commentator: "Manny’s win just proves what a special athlete he is. Some say Oscar is old, or always over-rated, but we should focus on the fact that Manny is a special, once in a lifetime athlete."

Raul Laurente, talent manager: "Manny has improved immensely, very fast on offense, careful in defense. One more win and he can be elected senator."

Conrad Chan, proprietor Jaffas car accessories shop: "Nakakahiya si de la Hoya!"

Ray Roquero, director, PCSO: "A masterpiece, an incredible showcase of sheer, sweet courage and magnificence that epitomized the Filipino’s indomitable will and human spirit to triumph. Manny’s victory burned so bright it choked my throat and burned my eyes."

Atty. Romulo Macalintal, presidential lawyer: "Pacquiao proved wrong all the so-called boxing experts here in the States like Angelo Dundee, Hatton and Hopkins. As I said before the fight, what happened when Cassius Clay was a 1-7 underdog to Sonny Liston would be repeated. And it was."

Jason Webb, ex-PBA player, sports commentator: "Pacquiao is a boxing god."

Atty. Bert Neri, practicing lawyer: "Unbelievable! I’ve never seen Manny fight that way. Oscar looked old and tired."

Sonny Barrios, PBA Commissioner: "Awesome!"

Bruce McTavish, international boxing referee: "Manny beat the idea that a good big man beats a good small man. He now rightfully should be rated as maybe the greatest Filipino boxer ever!"

Cucuy Elorde, boxing gym owner: "With the win, Pacman proved his remarkable power and skills. Truly a great champion!"

Boyet Fernandez, coach, Sta. Lucia Realtors: "Proud to be a Filipino. He deserves to be the #1 pound for pound. De la Hoya should retire."

Herman Salvador (Brod Pete), comedian, writer: "Sorry just woke up. Manny won? Against whom? When was this?"

oh sino gusto CRAB? sarap kumain.. ang dami ditong Crab ah? pero mas maraming Believer na!

daldal ng daldal ang iba dyan parang ang daming alam..

si david diaz lightweight champion is only 32years old nung tinalo ni pacman.. at syempre first time bumagsak ni Diaz sa career nya ng ganun katindi..

si Lehlohonolo Ledwaba super bantamweight champ is 30yrs. old at tinalo sya ni pacman TKO at 6rd.

si Juan Manuel Marquez is 30 years old nung kinalaban nya si Pacman nung first fight nila.. pero ano nangyari? its a DRAW! pero ano sabi nung isang judge? nagkamali sya sa scoring! ibig sabihin panalo si pacman dapat..

pero move on ika nga... hinahabol sya ni pacman para rematch pero ayun natalo si Juan Marquez kay Chris John! nakakahiya diba? ngayon si JMM ang habol ng habol kay pacman..

tapos sasabihin nyo wala na sa prime yung mga kinalaban nya? si hopkins nga tinalo ang mas batang PAVLIK..

si Gerry Penalosa champion parin pero matanda na sya..

palibhasa di nyo nararanasan masuntok sa bodega..... kaya sasabihin ng iba dito na benta ang laban... na mafia ang laban. na luto ang laban...

Hayyyzz... natuwa pa ako sa iba dito na against dati kay pacman pero ngayon believer na...

kesa dun sa feeling Boxing analyst... magsamasama kayo ni AL-AL Mendoza...

The younger boxers kasi are like "journeyman" boxers. After the boxers fought by PacMan, wala na talagang natural strong fighters. Some have records like 20-0; 15-0; but if you look closely at the backgrounds of their opponents....what? sino yun? parang mga tambay lang sa Bronx. And, boxing is business, just like mga business natin. The lesser known credible opponent, the lesser box office. So sino pa ba ang hindi Jurassic boxers sa weight class nila Dela Hoya, Pacman. Si Marquez? Jurassic na rin...Well, maybe, si Hatton. More money, more glory.!

Pacman vs. T-Rex is the next big thing! :lol: