Call Center Side Effects

Hehehe bro I think we're working on the same roof..d2 ako sa robinson summit.. tech support..under bill gates.."alam mo na!"..PM me pare

Very interesting thread. :cool:  Now its my opportunity to share my opinion on this kze, I'm also one of those critics of call center that woke up ending in a call center industry :thumbsupsmiley:

2 years, writer/segment prod  ako for a certain investigative program. Ok masaya. exciting and most important of all i was able to pracrtice what i study for. ComArts.

Pero,gaya nga ng nasabi ng bawat posts d2, if you are not happy na with what you are doing, you have the option to explore...

Oo explore, that's what I did. From sunday bulletin to jobsreet- form Makati - Ortigas. And I always neglect the opportunity of applying in a call center. Pero when in times of trouble, there is always a friend to lean on....

And in this situation, prayer and confidence are my last resort.  :hypocritesmiley: Sa isip ko, graduate ako ,  :thumbsupsmiley: i'm confident and i'm a hardworker :thumbsupsmiley:... I can work in a call center... :headsetsmiley:  But the question is paano...

Buti na lang, ung friend ko, tinawagan ako.ala lang tinawagan nya ko. tpos mustahna sabi ko, san ka? he told me SYKES. ano un? sabi ko. sabi nya call center. Ah ok...tawag tawag hello hello.. natawa lang siya...

sabi ko pasok mko, pabiro lang sabi nya. cge. bigay mo resume mo. So ako naman ala lang resume daw e. So after a day, a phone call change my life. Matatalinghagang dayuhang pananalita ang ginawang interview sa akin. Yun na pala un.. and what they say the rest is history....

I'm now on my probationary period going to regularization by October. Sabi ko dati sa sarili ko, pucha mga taga call center kumikita daw ng 15k a month...huwag kayo maniwala dahil more than that pa ang kinikita nila (regulars)..mga proby around 18 k lng nman :cool:

Sa lahat ng mga critics, try it and see for yourself. nothin to loose naman e.  :rolleyes:

Sa mga nagsasabing trabahong bobo, hehe, goodluck kung trabahong bobo to,baka training pa lang sumabit na kau.

Given a chance dapat matagal na ko nagwork sa call center, but I love being a writer asnd sooner or later babalik din ako sa kinagisnan kong industriya...Ang MEDIA

pero habang masaya pa ako at kumikita ng limpak limpak na salapi sa 9 orasna pagiinternet at pagpapalamig sa aircon...Technical Support Rep muna ko....

Yeah bah baby :mtc:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...'kala ko okay sa Convergys. Hindi pala. Bakit?

Which brings me to a somewhat related topic:

what don't you like about the call center you work for?

We all know that there's no perfect company. Thus, what about we air out what we don't like about the call center companies we work for, whether it's the policies, the people etc. Naming the call center is optional.

I'll start: Ang ayoko sa call center kung saan ako e ang bilis magbago ng target metrics, primarily for promotion. Pucha, kung kelan malapit mo na ma-meet yung goal, biglang babaguhin at itataas.

:cool: -

Hindi ka normal-

Umaga mo ay Gabi!

Di ka makainom kasama tropa--

LAsing ka nga umaga..

Bibili ka ng Alak ikaw pa masama ang aga aga daw-

Wala ka Social Life-

Kahit Isang Beses talagang mapapanaginipan mo ang Ungas na Irate caller mo!-

And pati sa panaginip nag troutroubleshoot ka!

My pera ka d ka naman makagastos.

Madalas pag nagkainuman sagot mo pa!

ewan ko ba pero masaya!!! hehehe!

madami chicks!

:evil:

:headsetsmiley:

Pero seriously, what makes the US the strongest country if most Americans dont know the difference bet. a click and a right-click?  :huh:

One of my American friend once told me that "The Best way to do a Job is to have someone else do it for you" .. and they are doing great at this. Does this tell you something? :) ???

That's why filipinos are being hired to show them the difference between the two... so they can be busy somewhere else. Somewhere much much worthwhile than learning the controls of the mouse...

While on the other hand it gives us the feeling that we are much more superior than them :wacko: And how much percentage of Filipinos know how to use the mouse again??? Can you just imagine if ALL filipinos know how to use the mouse and feel pretty much superior. Can you just imagine how much more progressive that would make the US??? - that's a rhetorical question BTW :hypocritesmiley:

Para hindi OT - Side effect ng CC - you get a feeling of superiority (kahit minsan false) over what you're doing :wacko:

Edited by centrino
How are your salaries? benefits? Are they being provided to you guys accurately and fairly?

It actually depends on every company. So far I havent experienced any delay in getting our salaries. Some centers have free/discounted medical services from a third-party medical insurance (mine does). Some gives out transpo allowance, or a special shift allowance. My tropa and I often compare our benefits/salaries and that gives us an idea if the company we're working with is a good one (and if we need to apply somewhere else.) :rolleyes:

Guest airmax
One of my American friend once told me that "The Best way to do a Job is to have someone else do it for you"  .. and they are doing great at this.  Does this tell you something?  :)  ???

That's why filipinos are being hired to show them the difference between the two... so they can be busy somewhere else. Somewhere much much worthwhile than learning the controls of the mouse... 

While on the other hand it gives us the feeling that we are much more superior than them  :wacko:  And how much percentage of Filipinos know how to use the mouse again???  Can you just imagine if ALL filipinos know how to use the mouse and feel pretty much superior.  Can you just imagine how much more progressive that would make the US???  - that's a rhetorical question BTW  :hypocritesmiley:

Para hindi OT - Side effect ng CC - you get a feeling of superiority (kahit minsan false) over what you're doing  :wacko:

pare eto lang un kung bakit sila nagoutsource. naalala nyo ba ang dating inoutsource lang e nike, reebok etc. tapos later on kasama na ang tech support, directory assistance. basically eto lang un eh. sa us maraming nawalan ng work dahil sa outsourcing. kaya sila nagoutsource dahil malaki matitipid nila. ung sweldo ng isang agent dito sweldo for 1 week ng isang agent doon. in short ung sweldo natin in 4 months sweldo lang nila ng isang bwan un. parang ganito yan eh. kung ikaw may company na ka. at minabuti mong kumuha na lang contractual. hindi ka ba makakatipid noon. at pabor pa sa u yon. in case hindi mo magustuhan ang serbisyo pede mong palitan ng ibang agency. so bottomline. kaya sila nagoutsource e kasi gustong makatipid at the mere fact alam nilang di nasagot ang pinoy. they didnt hire us so they can be busy somewhere else.

pare eto lang un kung bakit sila nagoutsource. naalala nyo ba ang dating inoutsource lang e nike, reebok etc. tapos later on kasama na ang tech support, directory assistance. basically eto lang un eh. sa us maraming nawalan ng work dahil sa outsourcing. kaya sila nagoutsource dahil malaki matitipid nila. ung sweldo ng isang agent dito sweldo for 1 week ng isang agent doon. in short ung sweldo natin in 4 months sweldo lang nila ng isang bwan un. parang ganito yan eh. kung ikaw may company na ka. at minabuti mong kumuha na lang contractual. hindi  ka ba makakatipid noon. at pabor pa sa u yon. in case hindi mo magustuhan ang serbisyo pede mong palitan ng ibang agency. so bottomline. kaya sila nagoutsource e kasi gustong makatipid at the mere fact alam nilang di nasagot ang pinoy. they didnt hire us so they can be busy somewhere else.

That's a given fact. I mean we all know that the labor cost here is much lower than in the western regions. no questions about that :blink: . I was merely trying to reason with the fact that one poster is trying to demean other nations because "they don't know how to use the mouse??? :blink: :blink: :blink: "

For me its a way of thinking more than cost efficient strategies. Mababa labor here why? If they employ Americans as CC agents sa tingin mo ba papayag sila sa same rates ng mga Agents here sa pinas? NO! So why?? So bottomline bakit mataas labor cost there? WAY OF THINKING bro!

Using your own example, hindi mo papagawa ang contractual tasks sa isang regular. Your reason is to cut cost, it maybe true but its just one side of the story. Other reasons maybe is for them to manage their resources well. Let the mechanics do the mechanical works, and leave management to the management team.

Ganito din yan pre, do you expect yung mga presidente ng companies now na sila ang magchachange oil ng sasakyan nila o magpapalit ng sparkplugs? Sa tingin mo ba marunong silang lahat nun? NO! the mechanics do it for them. The mechanics can teach them, they can give them tips on their cars, but does that mean na nagtitipid lang yung presidente kaya sa mechanic niya pinapagawa yung kotse nya at hindi siya mismo ang gumagawa? Does that mean na mas magaling na yung mechanic sa presidente??? :blink: :upside: :wacko:

Guest airmax
That's a given fact.  I mean we all know that the labor cost here is much lower than in the western regions.  no questions about that :blink: . I was merely trying to reason with the fact that one poster is trying to demean other nations because "they don't know how to use the mouse??? :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

For me its a way of thinking more than cost efficient strategies.  Mababa labor here why?  If they employ Americans as CC agents sa tingin mo ba papayag sila sa same rates ng mga Agents here sa pinas?  NO!  So why??  So bottomline bakit mataas labor cost there?  WAY OF THINKING bro! 

Using your own example, hindi mo papagawa ang contractual tasks sa isang regular.  Your reason is to cut cost, it maybe true but its just one side of the story.  Other reasons maybe is for them to manage their resources well.  Let the mechanics do the mechanical works, and leave management to the management team.

Ganito din yan pre,  do you expect yung mga presidente ng companies now na sila ang magchachange oil ng sasakyan nila o magpapalit ng sparkplugs?  Sa tingin mo ba marunong silang lahat nun?  NO!  the mechanics do it for them.  The mechanics can teach them, they can give them tips on their cars, but does that mean na nagtitipid lang yung presidente kaya sa mechanic niya pinapagawa yung kotse nya at hindi siya mismo ang gumagawa? Does that mean na mas magaling na yung mechanic sa presidente???      :blink:  :upside:  :wacko:

pero pare yan talaga ang dahilan. its to cut the cost. ang drawback lang dito e ung accent. in order to get their accent and know their culture well you need to live there and interact with them on a 24/7 basis or on a regular basis. anyways i could care less about their schemes im not really that interested. tinatapos ko lang ung bond ko rito and im out of this industry. just my 2 cents.

For me its a way of thinking more than cost efficient strategies.  Mababa labor here why?  If they employ Americans as CC agents sa tingin mo ba papayag sila sa same rates ng mga Agents here sa pinas?  NO!  So why??  So bottomline bakit mataas labor cost there?  WAY OF THINKING bro!

That is confusing logic. Here's my perspective.

I live here in the US and familiar with the CC business. Companies here outsource their call center areas primarily to cut costs. The thinking here is that CC functions in an organization is relatively low risk to outsource simply because it considered "non-revenue generating". This has already become a trend here and CEOs are quick to justify to their boards that it proven business strategy and everybody successful company is doing it; so, why not do it too?! And, that is only the first-wave of the outsourcing phenomenon sweeping the US. The second wave is already occuring where management, technical expertise and engineering, all high value functions, are being outsourced. Thus, this is no "master-slave" kind of relationship anymore. Mind you, US workers are no different than Filipinos in terms of what type of jobs they will take - both will take a janitorial job or a CEO job in a company!

The truth is Americans will outsource everything. As long as American companies can just the RISK with their DOLLARS, they will outsource. That is the keyword - RISK.

Guest airmax

I live here in the US and familiar with the CC business. Companies here outsource their call center areas primarily to cut costs. The thinking here is that CC functions in an organization is relatively low risk to outsource simply because it considered "non-revenue generating". This has already become a trend here and CEOs are quick to justify to their boards that it proven business strategy and everybody successful company is doing it; so, why not do it too?! And, that is only the first-wave of the outsourcing phenomenon sweeping the US. The second wave is already occuring where management, technical expertise and engineering, all high value functions, are being outsourced. Thus, this is no "master-slave" kind of relationship anymore. Mind you, US workers are no different than Filipinos in terms of what type of jobs they will take - both will take a janitorial job or a CEO job in a company!

The truth is Americans will outsource everything. As long as American companies can just the RISK with their DOLLARS, they will outsource. That is the keyword - RISK.

precisely. its really to cut down on the cost. parang ganito yan eh. if you have a company and you used to employ your own maintenance crew to look after your office. siempre malaki ang binabayad mo sa mga janitor na yan may kasama pa minsang 13th month pay yang mga yan. at may union pa sila minsan. pagka hindi magkasundo sa sweldo usually strike yang mga yan. now kung kukuha ka na lang ng janitors galing sa agency. wala ka pang sakit ng ulo at mababa lang ang cost mo dito. pagka hindi mo nagustuhan ung serbisyo pede kang humanap ng ibang janitorial services. basically ganyan ang ginagawa ng mga Kano. They want to cut down on the cost.

I live here in the US and familiar with the CC business. Companies here outsource their call center areas primarily to cut costs. The thinking here is that CC functions in an organization is relatively low risk to outsource simply because it considered "non-revenue generating". This has already become a trend here and CEOs are quick to justify to their boards that it proven business strategy and everybody successful company is doing it; so, why not do it too?! And, that is only the first-wave of the outsourcing phenomenon sweeping the US. The second wave is already occuring where management, technical expertise and engineering, all high value functions, are being outsourced. Thus, this is no "master-slave" kind of relationship anymore.

Wow! talk about confusing!!! :wacko:

Well, here's my take... I do not mean to demean your point (if im understanding it right :blink: ) But I never refuted the fact that cost cutting is ONE of the reasons for outsourcing. In fact I have stressed that in my earlier post.

Simple lang naman ang point ko mga pare, if you are so engrossed to the idea that COST AND RISK are the keywords here why don't we start asking ourselves WHY...?

You are saying na they are outsourcing to cut down cost. So dito sila satin kasi mababa nga cost dito, eh BAKIT NGA MABABA ANG COST DITO? Ako kasi I always believe na laging may dahilan kung bakit MAHAL O MURA ang isang bagay. May dahilan kung bakit mahal ang Ferrari at mura ang Sarao Jeep. May iba pa ding dahilan kung bakit pwedeng pang pasada ang mga Sarao Jeep at hindi pwedeng pang pasadang taxi ang Ferraris bukod sa presyo ng mga 'to ...

I hate to point this as I am a Filipino myself and I live here lang din sa Pinas, and I do love my country, but the fact remains a fact kahit aminin natin o hindi. May dahilan kung bakit mura ang labor cost dito at mahal dun... And I think its very obvious naman kung ano yung dahilan di ba?

Mind you, US workers are no different than Filipinos in terms of what type of jobs they will take - both will take a janitorial job or a CEO job in a company!

Yes THIS IS A FACT

Siyempre mawawalan ba ng Amerikanong Janitor sa US?

Mawawalan ba ng Filipinong Janitor sa Pinas?

Kahit naman sa SAUDI may Arabong Janitor...

And who wouln't take a Job as a CEO (kahit ano pang nationality yan) provided that he/she actually needs a job ha.

I hate to burst your bubble but lets snap back to reality :wacko:

How many Americans dito sa Pinas ang nagtatrabaho as Janitors??? :sick:

And how many Pinoys ang nagtatrabaho bilang CEO sa US??? - remind me again please.. :headsetsmiley:

C'mon guys lets ponder on this one point. Will one nation's inability to use a mouse deprive them from being a powerful nation??? Of course not... there's more to it than mouses and keyboards.. there's more to it tham RISK and COST.

Edited by centrino
precisely. its really to cut down on the cost. parang ganito yan eh. if you have a company and you used to employ your own maintenance crew to look after your office. siempre malaki ang binabayad mo sa mga janitor na yan may kasama pa minsang 13th month pay yang mga yan. at may union pa sila minsan. pagka hindi magkasundo sa sweldo usually strike yang mga yan. now kung kukuha ka na lang ng janitors galing sa agency. wala ka pang sakit ng ulo at mababa lang ang cost mo dito. pagka hindi mo nagustuhan ung serbisyo pede kang humanap ng ibang janitorial services. basically ganyan ang ginagawa ng mga Kano. They want to cut down on the cost.

Since you love to use Company Scenarios as hypothetical examples let me clarify a few issues here:

First of all, It is not always the case that housekeeping staffs are much cheaper if they are from agencies. Logic will tell you that these agencies are getting cuts from these staffs to sustain their own operations. So the cost to the employer may be the same as those directly hired, the staffs who went thru the agencies may have smaller take home pays however because of the cut. More than COST it is CONVENIENCE that these agencies offer. As an employer kung gusto mong magpalit ng staff they can immediately provide you a replacement. For the employee they enjoy the CONVENIENCE that these agencies are the ones looking for probable positions to fill. So you see Outsourcing is not always synonymous with COST, there are cases when CONVENIENCE is a factor being considered.

Second of all, if you are an employer or an employee for that matter, you should know that 13th month is mandatory by Philippine law. And its not always the salary variance that triggers union strikes in a company. It could also be yung poor working conditions and / or undelivered benefits among the likes, bottomline: THE EMPLOYERS WANT MORE - THE EMPLOYEES WANT MORE... So one of the options ng employer is to terminate the people on strike and outsource a new batch who are less demanding idealistic and therefore be more efficient in their lines and would more productive. So you see Outsourcing is not always synonymous with COST, there are cases when PRODUCTION EFFICIENCY is being considered.

Edited by centrino
Guest airmax

well opinion mo yan dude. pero un ang paniniwala ako at un ang paniniwala ng ibang mga kasama ko sa work. kahit ung boss ko sa call center yan din ang sinasabi. its really to cut down on the cost. that's the main objective. kasi sa mga american companies na ito if they don't like the performance of the outsourcing company they can look for another one. win win situation sa kanila ito dre. isa pa they are willing to risk outsourcing dahil hindi naman tayo slang talaga magsalita. so minsan nahihirapan tayong maintindihan ng mga amerikano kahit magaling tayong magingles. as for production efficiency siempre andyan yan. dahil ang mga call center they can fire or you let you go if ur not meeting their standards. hindi mo nahahalata walang job security sa call center. basta basta ka na lang iteterminate magkamali ka lng once. considering ung pagkakamali mo hindi ka naman nagnakaw or nangatong sa company. bottom line andyan ung prod. efficieny kasi aware ang mga call centers na once hindi sila magperform sa expectation ng american companies they can look for someone else to this job for them. Isa pa bakit pa sila pupunta rito sa pinas para magoutsource kung hindi cost ang paguusapan. yon lang un dre. siempre kung meron ka ng mga employees na beterano sa ganitong trabaho why would you risk going overseas and try outsourcing your jobs. e wala naman tayong pinagkaiba sa mga amerikano na yan. sa call center nga namin halos 1/4 lang ang technically knowledgable when it comes to the computers and internet hahaha. just my 2 cents dude. anyways un ang paniniwala ko period.