The first white zinfandel that I've tried was from Ernest&Julio Gallo.  My favorite though would be Beringer. 

You are right when you said they are not widely available as you can't expect to find them in your local neighborhood wine shops.  HOWEVER (and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out) they are on stock at the wine section of the SM groceries!  :)  E&J is always available and once in a while, they'd even have Beringers.  And they also have these flavored zins which I don't even want to try because they look so watered-down.

The best that I've tasted so far was Charles Krug - haven't found it in Manila yet.

For such a high-end label, it's a good thing Beringer's has a distributor here - and it's doubly-satisfying they include their white zin. But Beringer's price is quite prohibitive, especially for those only beginning to buy wine - so the white zin has not yet become that popular. Unfortunate because white zin with its fruity friendly taste can be a hit even with non-wine drinkers. It's not also unusual for it to smell of raspberries and cream.

Sutter Home also has a white zin here - but it's quite difficult to find...

Edited by bods1000
gud morning bods.... just remembered your opinion about the punts.....hehehe

I tried it with my bottles, its really nice, the deeper you can stick your finger beneath and if you can use more fingers, hehehe

this is too good in the morning,huh?

....just like, you know hehehehe :evil:

....haven't been able to stick it too deep lately...been with some everyday drinking cheapos myself :lol:

wine in the morning ain't so bad!

Cheers!

Now pare that is punishment,I can only shudder at the thought of Indian wine :sick: .Btw a couple of Binondo importers import chinese wine,I guess it can be used for medicinal purposes like rubbing alchohol :lol:

thank goodness it's only a couple :lol:

Sales could be brisk in the Ongpin area hehehe

Could you be the first to import Indian wines? :lol:

hello! :)

how are your chards down there?

Feijoa looks interesting - kung minsan kasi some producers make plum or cherry brandies or wines - could be the same. Basta may halong alcohol pwede na siguro :lol:

Have a nice day, nz!

kadiri kaya ibang wines.. pinatikim sakin before ung chinese wine.. YUCK. i dunno the specific name though. kadiri parang seaweed.

kadiri kaya ibang wines.. pinatikim sakin before ung chinese wine.. YUCK. i dunno the specific name though. kadiri parang seaweed.

:lol: anong seaweed? grabe ka naman!

pero seriously ha, parang gustong kong tikman yung feijoa - kung lasa ngang bayabas ha....at least hindi ito nagkukunwaring grape wine hehehe....chinese wine ayoko nga siguro talaga :lol:

cheers!

hey when will you be here? dalhan mo naman ako ng New Zealand chardonnay ha...libre kita ng dinner...

....magkalapit birthday natin hehehe...

hello! :)

how are your chards down there?

Feijoa looks interesting - kung minsan kasi some producers make plum or cherry brandies or wines - could be the same. Basta may halong alcohol pwede na siguro :lol:

Have a nice day, nz!

Speaking of cherries . . .

I'm not really into booze but one of my favorite liquors is amaretto. Amaretto di Sarrono to be exact. It's an Italian liquor supposedly made from cherries and it goes very well mixed with coffee or just on-the-rocks after a great meal :)

I always keep a bottle at home. :cool:

(Is this OT already? :unsure: )

Speaking of cherries . . .

I'm not really into booze but one of my favorite liquors is amaretto. Amaretto di Sarrono to be exact. It's an Italian liquor supposedly made from cherries and it goes very well mixed with coffee or just on-the-rocks after a great meal :)

I always keep a bottle at home. :cool:

(Is this OT already? :unsure: )

:P no need to worry.....

I think I gotta get me a bottle of Amaretto hehehe....sounds so good the way you describe it...

rieslings are great favorites due to their refreshing crispness so its no wonder a lot of wine drinkers love them...

zinfandels are not so common here, much more so with white zins mainly because only Californians carry them - being almost an indigenous California variety..

what zins do you enjoy, pare?

Is riesling hugely popular in Manila? I am in with love this variety-German is a personal fave. It's easier to match with food because of its high acidity that just refreshes and cleases the palate. It's great to drink on its own as well. Maybe, as an aperitif.

Amaretto is a flavored Italian liqueur made from a base of almonds and apricot pits. Amaretto di Sarrono is the original and probably the most renowned of these liqueurs.

Amaretto Disaronno is a cordial with an almond-like flavor made from kernel of apricot pits. Just like any other liqueur, it's made from a nuetral spirit- either brandy, rum or whisky infused with flavouring ingredients. It's originally from Saronno, Italy but, now other distillers produce their own amaretto liqueur. Typically, it's served as a digestif to soothe the stomach after a meal. Personally, I also enjoy it very much with chocolate.

hello there!

Have you tried Brumm's at Galleria? They sell mostly German and Austrian wines - you might find a Riesling there.

You have exotic tastes in wine - most people are not familiar with Tokaji, Albarino, Malbec, gigondas.........

Tell us naman more about that wine course you took in NY :P I myself would take one if given the chance to be free to go abroad........

btw, are you in the country now?

hello! which wine school did you go to in ny? i took my wine captain's certificate from the sommelier society of america and my advanced certificate from the wine and spirits education trust (hosted by the international wine center). i currently work at a restaurant in ny as an assistant wine director. it's very exciting to know that wine is gaining ground in manila. i've been thinking of opening up a wine shop in the philippines some day. maybe, you could give me some tips since you're the one who's out there. promise, i'll send a bottle of thanisch riesling spatlese, bernkasteler doctor.... ;)

Is riesling hugely popular in Manila? I am in with love this variety-German is a personal fave. It's easier to match with food because of its high acidity that just refreshes and cleases the palate. It's great to drink on its own as well. Maybe, as an aperitif.

Wines are still a hard-sell here in Manila - what little movement there is goes into sales of red wines. White wines are that much more difficult to sell - it goes without saying that only true-blue wine drinkers buy them - what little white wine is sold usually goes to chardonnays - which remain quite popular.

Rieslings are rare in the popular retail outlets so only a few know of them.

Personal favorites are a Semillon and a Dry Verdelho from Western Australia.

From Epicurious: Matching Wine with Food

If a pasta will have a light seafood sauce (Linguini with Herbed Clam Sauce), you might pick a very crisp white wine like a dry Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc to complement the shellfish.

The trickiest pasta sauce to handle is a creamy one, such as Fettuccine Alfredo. You might pick a crisp white wine to help cleanse the palate, but one that also has plenty of richness to stand up to the flavors. A Chardonnay would be near the top of that list.

Edited by bods1000