PUNT - the indentation in the bottom of a wine or champagne bottle. Serves two purposes - catching sediment and reinforcing the bottle.

WINE-BUYING TIP - the deeper the punt, the better the wine. This is an unoffical guide for me - never is this mentioned anywhere :P Notice how the cheaper wines have shallow punts. As the price increases, the deeper the punt goes - although one cannot safely assume price to be an indicator of a bottle's goodness. Nevertheless, looking at rows of unknown wines in a shelf, I always "feel their bottoms to see how deep they are" :evil: . The shallow ones I ignore - the deeper ones I try to consider buying. :P Never fails.

hey, that's what I never noticed before. looking on this bottles, i'd say you are right.

good after noon bods, we have about 2000 cases arriving this 7th Aug. (all robert girauds- differrent variants- i like the chateua cotes de rol) I know you know about FTI taking 80 % of all Caldbeck wines right.

What's this about FTI taking 80% of Caldbeck wines...di ko alam ito, pare :P

please enlighten naman....thanks

hey, that's what I never noticed before. looking on this bottles, i'd say you are right.

I really have no idea why this is so :P

Yung nga talagang elite wines, halos kalahati ng daliri mo maipapasok mo sa ilalim - ganun kalalim yung punt nila. Yung mga cheapo na walang kwenta, halos flat na ang ilalim :lol:

Went wine tasting at Napa Valley a few years back. I have a cousin who worked his way through college by working at the different wineries during the summer. I had a blast. Went home red faced and drunk.....

Masarap talaga pumunta sa mga wine-tastings. Over here, I really take advantage if there are any. You can drink anything you want - halo-halo na - whites, reds, whites, reds - grabe ang tama :lol:

bods, i have this friend who imports & exclusively distributes some nice california wines (De Loach/Esser/Silverado/plumpjack/stoller/phelan, mostly you'd say boutique wines. Stoller pinot noir are really expensive.

maybe we could see you one time and arrange some wine tasting.

A backgrounder on my wine experience:

I took a wine course when I was in graduate school sa NY. Fantastic experience....tasted around six wines per week and quite a varied selection. I don't drink much nowadays but still enjoy wine every now and then.

Among whites, personal favorites are German Rieslings (sweet and semi-sweet), Hungarian Tokaji, Vouvray, Alsatian Gewurztraminer, NZ Sauvignon Blancs, Orvieto, Albarino....

Among reds, favorites are Left Bank Bordeaux, Pinot Noir in general, Cotes du Rhone, Vacqueyras, Gigondas, Argentinian Malbec, most Merlot, Chianti, Amarone....

I read that someone was thinking of bringing in NZ wines....Goldwater Dogpoint, Villa Maria and Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blancs please!!!

It's also a shame that there's no German Riesling to be had here. They're one of my personal favorites....Zeltingen Sonnenuhr, Urziger Wurzgarten, Maximin Grunhaus, Bopparder Hamm....yumm!!!!

bods, i have this friend who imports & exclusively distributes some nice california wines (De Loach/Esser/Silverado/plumpjack/stoller/phelan, mostly you'd say boutique wines. Stoller pinot noir are really expensive.

maybe we could see you one time and arrange some wine tasting.

I didn't know they were available here - wow DeLoach, Silverado, Plumpjack - puro mga boutique labels yan ah! Your friend's not with Bacchus, is he?

sige pare, we can see each other - pero I'm not a connoisseur by any means :lol:

I just love to drink, that's all. Kung comments baka wala akong sensible na maibigay, lalo na pag madami na akong nainom :P

Let's arrange and see what......thanks a lot!

Looking At A Glass of Wine

The most obvious characteristic of a wine is its color. The color of a white can range between pale straw and rich golden yellow, depending on its age, its sweetness, its degree of oakiness, and the grape variety it was made of. Lighter wines such as Sauvignon Blancs tend to be paler than heavier Chardonnays, and the gold tinge of an aged Chardonnay will be more pronounced than that of a younger one.

For reds, the deeper the color, the more concentrated the flavor. Stand a glass of Pinot Noir next to a Shiraz, and the difference is obvious. The Pinot will be an almost transparent light ruby red while the Shiraz will verge towards a dense purpley red. A mouthful from each is bound to confirm the difference. If you tip the glass back towards you, you may notice clear traces of liquid sticking to the side of the glass as they slide slowly back into the body of the wine - these are called tears or legs, and indicate high alcohol or residual sugar content.

eto na isa sa mga recipes with wine...sa mga mahilig magluto patikim na lang (kc tamad me) :P

MEDALLION MERE MICHELE

Yield: 4 portions

1 ½ lb. filet of beef, trimmed

1 cup Magnotta Pinot Noir Special Reserve (or equivalent)

2 bouquet garni (one bay leaf, four black pepper-corns and and a sprig of thyme all tied in cheesecloth)

3 tbsp. cream

3 tbsp. cooked mushrooms

Chopped butter, extra virgin olive oil, cooking oil, as needed

Sauce Provencale

½ cup onions, minced

1 red pepper, diced

1 small eggplant, peeled/cubed – 1 zucchini, cubed

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1 lb whole, canned Italian tomatoes

Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Place 1 ½ lb beef filet in a non-metallic dish and cover with Magnotta Pinot Noir (or equivalent). Insert a bouquet garni and marinate 4-5 hours. Prepare Sauce Provencale by sautéing onions in 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil until limp and yellow. Stir in red pepper and continue cooking and stirring for approximately five minutes. Add eggplant, zucchini, garlic cloves, a bouquet garni, tomatoes, and salt and freshly ground pepper. Simmer for between one hour, 45 minutes to two hours.

Put one cup of sauce in an enamel pot. Stir in cream and mushrooms. Simmer for 10 minutes. Take the meat from the marinade and pat dry. Trim off any fat. Heat 2 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. cooking oil in a heavy skillet and saute the filets to taste. Serve on hot plates and pour the sauce over the medallions at the table.

hi, freakish! :)

Your recipe looks temptingly delicious - thanks a lot for sharing it here!

Have you posted it too at the Cooking Thread?

Will using a red wine other than Pinot Noir alter the taste?

.....come to think of it - I thought you were a guy! Silly me - nuon pa ako pare ng pare sa iyo :lol: Forgive me for the gaffe - I'm thrilled to discover ladies who are into wine....Cheers! Have a nice day there!

A backgrounder on my wine experience:

I took a wine course when I was in graduate school sa NY.  Fantastic experience....tasted around six wines per week and quite a varied selection.  I don't drink much nowadays but still enjoy wine every now and then.

Among whites, personal favorites are German Rieslings (sweet and semi-sweet), Hungarian Tokaji, Vouvray, Alsatian Gewurztraminer, NZ Sauvignon Blancs, Orvieto, Albarino....

Among reds, favorites are Left Bank Bordeaux, Pinot Noir in general, Cotes du Rhone, Vacqueyras, Gigondas, Argentinian Malbec, most Merlot, Chianti, Amarone....

I read that someone was thinking of bringing in NZ wines....Goldwater Dogpoint, Villa Maria and Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blancs please!!!

It's also a shame that there's no German Riesling to be had here.  They're one of my personal favorites....Zeltingen Sonnenuhr, Urziger Wurzgarten, Maximin Grunhaus, Bopparder Hamm....yumm!!!!

hello there!

Have you tried Brumm's at Galleria? They sell mostly German and Austrian wines - you might find a Riesling there.

You have exotic tastes in wine - most people are not familiar with Tokaji, Albarino, Malbec, gigondas.........

Tell us naman more about that wine course you took in NY :P I myself would take one if given the chance to be free to go abroad........

btw, are you in the country now?

Edited by bods1000

Wine Storage

Wine needs to be kept in a cool, dark place, preferably slightly damp. Laying down keeps the cork wet and expanded, which improves the seal, keeps oxygen out of the wine and keeps the wine in the bottle. It ensures that the wine's maturing process is subtle, reaching its maturity gracefully. If the storage place is too warm, the wine will mature too rapidly and poorly. Temperature fluctuations should be kept to a minimum, as this too affects the optimum maturing of wine, and the corks could weaken, which could cause leakage and evaporation of the liquid.

Wine loves the dark. Light - direct or indirect, could over-expose the cork and lead to a 'tired' wine. Wine does not like to moved too much during storage as this disrupts the maturing process. Why slightly damp? To keep the cork wet, which ensures a good seal on the bottle and minimal leakage.

Please do not keep your wine, even everyday drinking wine in a cupboard, near radiators, boilers or the back of a refrigerator. The temperature fluctuations are too great, and this will ruin the wine over a period of time.

Serving and Drinking Wine

Chilled white wine is delicious, and so is red wine at room temperature. The chill on a wine closes down some of the flavors. This is particularly true for reds, and is why most reds are drunk at room temperature so as to get the most benefit from the wonderful flavors in the wine. Whites are better served chilled as this closes the sharp taste down, as in Sauvignon Blanc, for instance.

hi, freakish! :)

Your recipe looks temptingly delicious - thanks a lot for sharing it here!

Have you posted it too at the Cooking Thread?

Will using a red wine other than Pinot Noir alter the taste?

.....come to think of it - I thought you were a guy! Silly me - nuon pa ako pare ng pare sa iyo :lol: Forgive me for the gaffe - I'm thrilled to discover ladies who are into wine....Cheers! Have a nice day there!

i don't think it will make a lot of difference, i mean maybe there will be a slight change in taste..but if we are just making them for our own pleasure and it passed our standards..then i guess no harm done.. :D

I'll post it at the cooking thread later..been busy whole day.

:P don't apologize...im used being called pare specially during my wild days dyan sa pinas, not that i look like a man, eh? :lol: Sometimes just because i share a lot of interests with the guys, lumaki kc akong puro kalaro lalaki...hahaha! nways, take care bods...m learning a lot from your thread.. i might start drinking again, can't appreciate them if you don't drink them :)

i don't think it will make a lot of difference, i mean maybe there will be a slight change in taste..but if we are just making them for our own pleasure and it passed our standards..then i guess no harm done.. :D

I'll post it at the cooking thread later..been busy whole day.

:P don't apologize...im used being called pare specially during my wild days dyan sa pinas, not that i look like a man, eh? :lol: Sometimes just because i share a lot of interests with the guys, lumaki kc akong puro kalaro lalaki...hahaha! nways, take care bods...m learning a lot from your thread.. i might start drinking again, can't appreciate them if you don't drink them :)

I guess you're right - we're not in some resto kitchen cooking, right? whatever passes our taste and pocket for the meantime - pwede na siguro...

.....wild days? That couldn't be due to wine, could it? :lol:

well thanks if you get to learn something here.........I'd sure be glad it you get to appreciate wine again and immerse yourself in its seductive appeal.....take care, freakish (I do feel freakish addresing you by that handle :lol: )

I also like riesling. No particular brand. So far, all that I've tried are okay.

Aside from riesling, I also like white zinfandels. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned zinfandels here. They go very well with curries which I love to eat. B)

Cheers! B)

I also like riesling. No particular brand. So far, all that I've tried are okay.

Aside from riesling, I also like white zinfandels. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned zinfandels here. They go very well with curries which I love to eat. B)

Cheers! B)

rieslings are great favorites due to their refreshing crispness so its no wonder a lot of wine drinkers love them...

zinfandels are not so common here, much more so with white zins mainly because only Californians carry them - being almost an indigenous California variety..

what zins do you enjoy, pare?

ZINFANDEL

Considered as California's red-wine grape because it's not widely-grown in other parts of the world. Outside of California, isolated plantings can be found mainly in South Africa and Australia. Zinfandel is vinified in many styles, which vary in quality. A popular style is white zinfandel, a fruity-flavored white wine that's slightly sweet and ranges in color from light to dark-pink. When made into red wines, zinfandels range from light, noveau styles to hearty, robust reds with berry-like spicy flavors, plenty of tannins and alcohol and enough depth and complexity and longevity to be compared to cabernet sauvignons.

zinfandels are not so common here, much more so with white zins mainly because only Californians carry them - being almost an indigenous California variety..

what zins do you enjoy, pare?

The first white zinfandel that I've tried was from Ernest&Julio Gallo. My favorite though would be Beringer.

You are right when you said they are not widely available as you can't expect to find them in your local neighborhood wine shops. HOWEVER (and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out) they are on stock at the wine section of the SM groceries! :) E&J is always available and once in a while, they'd even have Beringers. And they also have these flavored zins which I don't even want to try because they look so watered-down.

The best that I've tasted so far was Charles Krug - haven't found it in Manila yet.