thanks for this thread. I learned a lot !

Just want to know what would you recommend (under 1k) for

1. meat dinner

2. cheese (goodah?)

3. salmon and crackers

thanks in advance. Of course, do tell me where I could get them. Cheers!

pare dun sa cheese mo - maybe you're referring to Gouda cheese? Well, gouda is a hard cheese. Hard cheeses have mature flavors that tend to be more comples than soft cheeses, but they never become stinky as they develop with age. They require some muscle to slice and are crumbly in the mouth. Gouda loses its pasty texture as it ages and takes on a caramellike flavor as it hardens.

Hard cheeses like gouda, more than any other kind of cheese matches well with a greater range of wines - whites and reds. Their deep mature flavors work well with powerful and complex reds. So pare maghanap ka ng Cabernet Sauvignon o kaya Shiraz. Offhand, since mas may exposure ako sa Australian wines, try looking for a Wolf Blass Cabernet or Shiraz or a Wyndham Estate Bin 555 Shiraz. Maraming choices kang makikita sa Rustans, Shopwise, Landmark or maybe Santi's for their Tyrell's.

good luck pare! Btw, would you care to join some little get together next week?

Konting wine tasting lang :P

Hey guys! Just passing by this thread.

Any suggestions on good wines for under $10?

The type you can buy at S&R probably.

Doctor said that drinking some wine daily is actually good for my cholesterol.

Might as well make the most of it and drink something pleasant, right?

Californian, Australian, Italian... if its good, I'll drink it.

:lol:

you can also try Eaglehawk Shiraz..Wolf Blass baga! 13.5% alc. yun! lashing ka agad. :lol:

AlexSantos Posted on Sep 10 2004, 01:29 AM

you may also want to consider chilean wines for under P500. one sure bet is the castillo molina cabernet 2000 - like all new world wines, a "fruit bomb", well-rounded (i.e., accessible to the palate, not too tannic) and straight forward but not over-oaked. ok na for an every day wine.

you can also try Eaglehawk Shiraz..Wolf Blass baga! 13.5% alc. yun! lashing ka agad. :lol:

13.5%!?!

Dude I need a dinner wine (or a dessert wine).

If I need to get myself plastered though, I'll take your suggestion into consideration.

Thanks to everyone who gave their suggestions. I've tried most of what you said and really liked them. Guess my taste isn't so different after all. :D

alex pare, most of the still wines are between 12.0% to 14.5% higher than that could be ice wine or port wines kung minsan vermouth naman.

you can try ice wine for dessert.

right, pare. yung mga sweet wines or dessert wines nga yun ang mas mataas pa ang alcohol content dahil overripe grapes na ginamit dito. Overripe means higher sugar content and this sugar is the one converted to alcohol in the fermenting process.

:cool: Well wines is definitely here to stay. Besides it's good health contributions to the heart it also has a status quo.In terms of Filipino taste the Australian, Californian and Chilean are the most acceptable wines here because of their tastes. Therefore the cheaper the wine the uglier it tastes but the more expensive wine is, it tastes better. Speaking of red wines have you tried guys to go to Southwines in Timog Avenue Quezon City, the place is nice it's the best interior designed wineshop I have ever visited. It is located near Zirkoh and Dreams. The staff are very courteous and they will assist you in everything. The price is very competitive and soon they will provide chairs and tables in order for you to drink there. Good news also THEY ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS. See you there guys !!! :mtc:

I regularly pass HorseShoe every day but I can't seem to see this place. Directions naman. Thanks. Do you accept credit card ?

its the second to the last left turn before you go outside horshoe...there is a sign

<---- the winery... If you want me to show you around just tell me when you want it so at least you can see how we take care of our wines. When it comes to credit card payments, I am not so sure about it but you can buy some of our wines in Rustan's, big R, shopwise and soon SM (for sure they will accept card payments). If you wanna to see ur full line, you can pm your email or mailing add so that i can send you a winelist. ;) I culd eve invite you to some of our wine tastings. ;)

:cool: Well wines is definitely here to stay. Besides it's good health contributions to the heart it also has a status quo.In terms of Filipino taste the Australian, Californian and Chilean are the most acceptable wines here because of their tastes. Therefore the cheaper the wine the uglier it tastes but the more expensive wine is, it tastes better. Speaking of red wines have you tried guys to go to Southwines in Timog Avenue Quezon City, the place is nice it's the best interior designed wineshop I have ever visited. It is located near Zirkoh and Dreams. The staff are very courteous and they will assist you in everything. The price is very competitive and soon they will provide chairs and tables in order for you to drink there. Good news also THEY ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS. See you there guys !!! :mtc:

that's a great place if they accept credit cards! Pare I've seen that place before kasi I supply wines to Rotonda Wines. Gotta drop by sometime....baka may ma-negosyo din :P

its the second to the last left turn before you go outside horshoe...there is a sign

;) I culd eve invite you to some of our wine tastings. ;)

pare i saw that sign pero lagpas na ako hindi na makabuwelta dahil one-way yung Horseshoe, pero babalik ako dyan. Btw, I saw Kaan in Shopwise - I believe sa inyo yun, right? Kaya lang medyo mahal - P600+ yata. I was just looking for an everyday wine kaya I bought the Cape Gold Cab - is this yours too? Ok din - very fruity ang smell and easy on the palate but not thin-tasting.

Do you have wine tastings? Invite me naman oh :P Just a PM away, pare....

Are these chilean or argentinian? They sound so familiar.

Try Terry's one in Pasong Tamo extension at the back of Jarvin? Plaza (the building with the starbucks ) and in the basement of Podium, Good Selection. Good luck :)

California ito pare, winery ni Francis Coppola the director.

There was this food trade exhibit a few months back at Mega and may stall yung Terry's. I bought some Spanish riojas from them and they're quite good - medyo affordable din at P300 - P400. I've been planning to visit their main store there kaya lang ang layo nung Pasong Tamo. Cheers pare!

thanks bods for the advise. will do the roundst this weekend. havent gone to bacchus, santis, or anthony's for quite sometime. I dont know of other importers. I just rely on what the 3 stores could offer. I will try the one you recommended in Pasong Tamo.

perhaps, you may want to add to the thread how you drink your wines, what cheezes go well, or if you smoke a pipe or cigar. i guess you can't remove these from a wine sipping culture.

good luck and thanks again.

Red Wines are better than white wine.

I like Californian wine, specially from Napa Valley

...Australian, Chiraz

and Chilean wines are Good too

cheers, pare!

As they say, healthier din daw ang red wines. But my Australian principal once told me na may health benefits din daw ang whites, although I still have to see that study...