Those are valid points pare. The way the US  conducts international business to their advantage, the Cuban cigar industry could very well be a victim once Castro passes on.

Are monte Cristos Cuban? What's No. 3 and 1?

Yes Monte Cristo's are Cuban. The no. 3 is the corona size.... No1 is the corona largas.

M.C. sold in the U.S. as advertised in Cigar Afficionado are supposedly made in Dominican Republic. The ones sold here are cuban.

Wine is the best alcoholic drink - preferably red, shiraz or merlot or a cabernet combination.

I am an expat who has been living here long term and was surprised at how well wine here is priced compared to at home! Even the wine that they make in my country is cheaper but as I found out that is due to government taxes.

When my parents visit the Philippines they always buy some wine to take back.

any flavor that you prefer, coffee, chocolate, vanilla or strawberry... coffee is a personal favorite.

Dominican cigars are light but very rich in flavor they dont have much of a "bite" compared to Cubans.  But the aroma is likewise full. 

Dominicans I tried were Don Juan, Don Diego and Macanudo.  coulnt remember if i ever smoke a cigar from Nicaragua but should more or less be the same.

much as i have to repeat myself, support our local cigar industry...try Tabacalera's Don Juan Urquijo (top end line) , 1881 (flag ship line).  if you want to be quaint, get the Monica Lewinsky (i am not kidding).  This are said to be same cigars Clinton used on her.heheheh

Other local high/top end brands are Smoking Lulu and Fighting Cock made by Tabaqueria.

happy smoking.

Valid points!!!

I tried Smoking Lulu and Fighting Cock and the FC seems to be a bit milder than Tabacalera. If you have been hooked on cigars, buti pa bumuli ka ng humidor from Tabacalera. They have small ones and large ones. Some are so nice that they can become centerpieces. Just don't do a Bill Clinton with your secretary :lol:

What you can do is buy the regular coronas from Tabacalera that have their own humidors. Or you can do what I did and utilize a Tupperware container with a tiny ball of moist cotton.

Cigars have to be kept moist but free from fungus and molds. If a cigar dries up, yukkk.

Also, by trying cigars from the cheapest to the pricey ones you can get a better feel of what quality is and what you like. Just like wine, cigars have blends, vintages, flavors, etc... Because it is a plant product, soil, weather, country and care also determine whether you will enjoy your cigar or not.

Valid points!!!

I tried Smoking Lulu and Fighting Cock and the FC seems to be a bit milder than Tabacalera.  If you have been hooked on cigars, buti pa bumuli ka ng humidor from Tabacalera.  They have small ones and large ones.  Some are so nice that they can become centerpieces. Just don't do a Bill Clinton with your secretary  :lol:

What you can do is buy the regular coronas from Tabacalera that have their own humidors.  Or you can do what I did and utilize a Tupperware container with a tiny ball of moist cotton.

Cigars have to be kept moist but free from fungus and molds. If a cigar dries up, yukkk.

Also, by trying cigars from the cheapest to the pricey ones you can get a better feel of what quality is and what you like.  Just like wine, cigars have blends, vintages, flavors, etc... Because it is a plant product, soil, weather, country and care also determine whether you will enjoy your cigar or not.

i know what you mean by smoking a dried up cigar .... it falls apart... :grr: i also experienced a fungus attack on my cigars due to excessive moisture...

i agree with your points about cigar blends and vintages... i began to appreciate these points when i visited Tabacalera in Sucat. I had the pleasure of a factory tour from their bodega type humidor where they keep tobacco leave in bulk.. to quality control and packaging...truly awesome for a cigar smoker like me.

You will appreciate the "solera"type aging. They have inventory upto 10 years.... can you believe that. They also have a Cuban Master Blender so the taste and quality of Tabacalera has improved significantly.

I would suggest you to take a walk in tour... try calling first if they still allow it.

i own a 50 cigar humidor which i got from tabacalera.... it was a gift from my wife.

happy smoking.

the wines that we will feature are the dry to medium dry varieties.  Meron kaming TBA (trockenbeerenauslese) but di yan pinapasample..hehehe mahal eh.  Iba pa yung eiswein.  TBAs are harvested to the point na parang prune na sya...super overripe kaya napaka sweet nun.  The ones that we will probably sample are kabinetts and qbas lang. I am not sure if we will open spatlese (late harvest) or Auslese (later pa). ;)

I've never been much into German wines so I'm sure your tasting would be a great experience!

Cheers!

Your TBA - kung superripe na siya I'm sure mataas na din ang alcohol content nito..

hi Good-Things-In-Life lovers!!! i haven't visited this thead for so long...

just want to share a little info I've read about Wine and Food combinations, hope it will be helpful. there will also be a wine and food trade show in the fall here in toronto, and i might visit it to try those wines i've been reading about from this thread :D

Food and Wine combinations (suggestions only):

Pinot Noir:

• Tuna

• Salmon

• Swordfish

• Pork

• Veal

• Venison

• Duck

• Game birds

• Mushrooms

• Mild cheese

• Soft cheese

Cabernet Sauvignon:

• Beef

• Steak

• Lamb

• Casseroles

• Stews

Port:

• Chocolate desserts

Merlot:• Beef

• Steak

• Lamb

• Tomato-based pasta sauce

• Strong cheese

Hello there! we've been missing you - you were one of the best that ever set foot on this thread :blush:

Thanks a lot for the food-wine contribution - I'm sure that would be another big help to those of us looking for the right match. But I advise you to take it easy on swordfish - not a good bet safety-wise. I've been reading a book by a New York chef and he says he will never touch swordfish after seeing the things crawling on such a fish as it's being sold in a wet market :blink:

Reds, especially the big-bodied ones like shiraz and cab sauvignon also go well with game. Also the sauce the food is cooked in also sometimes determines what wine will go with it.

Happy tripping with that food/wine show there! Dito bihira ang mga ganyan....

We await news from that front, ok?

Always have a nice day, ms. freakish....

any flavor that you prefer, coffee, chocolate, vanilla or strawberry... coffee is a personal favorite.

Dominican cigars are light but very rich in flavor they dont have much of a "bite" compared to Cubans.  But the aroma is likewise full. 

Dominicans I tried were Don Juan, Don Diego and Macanudo.  coulnt remember if i ever smoke a cigar from Nicaragua but should more or less be the same.

much as i have to repeat myself, support our local cigar industry...try Tabacalera's Don Juan Urquijo (top end line) , 1881 (flag ship line).  if you want to be quaint, get the Monica Lewinsky (i am not kidding).  This are said to be same cigars Clinton used on her.heheheh

Other local high/top end brands are Smoking Lulu and Fighting Cock made by Tabaqueria.

happy smoking.

I think I like quaint :D Where are those Monicas available hehehe....

Thanks for the info again, pare - well I always thought Macanudos were Cuban...

Pare what's the difference between a top-end line and a flagship one? Parang pareho....which is more expensive?

I think I like quaint :D  Where are those Monicas available hehehe....

Thanks for the info again, pare - well I always thought Macanudos were Cuban...

Pare what's the difference between a top-end line and a flagship one? Parang pareho....which is more expensive?

Monica Lewinsky aside from being inside Bill Clinton's pants could be found in tabacalara outlets :lol:

i think they are 1881 with a different band... you can check this out with the tabacalera promodizer at sm.

DJU all imported tobacco rolled cuban style by tabacalera... smells like and tastes like Dominican... 1881 named after the year tabacalera was founded has an imported wrapper but the binder and filler are local... i think (and i stand corrected, cuban seed grown in isabela province).

macanudo is cuban also but not the ones sold in sm stores.

Wine is the best alcoholic drink - preferably red, shiraz or merlot or a cabernet combination.

I am an expat who has been living here long term and was surprised at how well wine here is priced compared to at home! Even the wine that they make in my country is cheaper but as I found out that is due to government taxes.

When my parents visit the Philippines they always buy some wine to take back.

Welcome to the thread, pare!

Well I do think that wine cannot be priced here very high - that's in order to capture the market - which here is still predominantly beer and spirits oriented.

I myself cannot sell my wines equal to their retail prices in Oz because I can see that if I will do that I will be pricing my wines beyond the reach of the otherwise clueless winebuyers here. From what country are you, if you don't mind?

The tendency to sell cheap here leads to the presence of cheap (in the sense of awful) wines which flood the market. I'm sure if a wine is good, there is a market here for even those expensive wines. My top-of-the-line wine - yun pa ang unang nauubos sa akin because I have a devoted clientele who always awaits every vintage of that wine.

Monica Lewinsky aside from being inside Bill Clinton's pants could be found in tabacalara outlets :lol:

i think they are 1881 with a different band... you can check this out with the tabacalera promodizer at sm.

DJU all imported tobacco rolled cuban style by tabacalera... smells like and tastes like Dominican... 1881 named after the year tabacalera was founded has an imported wrapper but the binder and filler are local... i think (and i stand corrected, cuban seed grown in isabela province).

macanudo is cuban also but not the ones sold in sm stores.

You stand corrected, pare - the Monica is inside Monica's mouth. :evil:

Now where was I? :D

Pare very comprehensive yang knowledge mo about cigars and it really piques my interest. I'm sure when I'm in SM yang booth ng cigars ang una kong hahanapin hehe....

Valid points!!!

I tried Smoking Lulu and Fighting Cock and the FC seems to be a bit milder than Tabacalera.  If you have been hooked on cigars, buti pa bumuli ka ng humidor from Tabacalera.  They have small ones and large ones.  Some are so nice that they can become centerpieces. Just don't do a Bill Clinton with your secretary  :lol:

What you can do is buy the regular coronas from Tabacalera that have their own humidors.  Or you can do what I did and utilize a Tupperware container with a tiny ball of moist cotton.

Also, by trying cigars from the cheapest to the pricey ones you can get a better feel of what quality is and what you like.  Just like wine, cigars have blends, vintages, flavors, etc... Because it is a plant product, soil, weather, country and care also determine whether you will enjoy your cigar or not.

I'm clueless about these humidors....what exactly are they?

Parang wine pala talaga ang cigars - much like how what they call terroir affects the grapes...

Hello there! we've been missing you - you were one of the best that ever set foot on this thread :blush:

Thanks a lot for the food-wine contribution - I'm sure that would be another big help to those of us looking for the right match. But I advise you to take it easy on swordfish - not a good bet safety-wise. I've been reading a book by a New York chef and he says he will never touch swordfish after seeing the things crawling on such a fish as it's being sold in a wet market :blink:

Reds, especially the big-bodied ones like shiraz and cab sauvignon also go well with game. Also the sauce the food is cooked in also sometimes determines what wine will go with it.

Happy tripping with that food/wine show there! Dito bihira ang mga ganyan....

We await news from that front, ok?

Always have a nice day, ms. freakish....

thank you bods...you're so good to me :) :blush:

the show will be on November just in time for the coming Holiday Season. It will be a double purpose visit for me since i am also going to do some sourcing for my gift baskets business.

mixing business with pleasure :upside:

wines featured kanina sa Glorietta.

WEINGUT REICHSRAT VON BUHL

RHEINFALZ REGION

2003 RIESLING KABINETT TROCKEN

Predicated, dry. An elegant Riesling characterized by spicy minerals, a refreshing and mouthwatering acidity and a mix of tropic fruits. A perfect companion to light salads, hearty meals, finger food and light dishes.

WEINGUT GUNDERLOCH

RHEINHESSEN REGION

2002 RIVERSIDE RIESLING Qba

Concentrated fruit flavors of peach and grapefruit with a brilliant racy acidity. Off dry with a long mineral finish. Enjoy with seafood, poultry or on its own.

WEINGUT HOLZ WEISBRODT

RHEINPFALZ REGION

2000 SPATBURGUNDER

Medium dry, elegant with softly balanced acidity.

2001 DORNFELDER Qba TROCKEN

Dry, chimney red, wispy with a wonderful nose of blackberries, subtle cherry and wild berry aroma with hints of peppers.

Another set wines will be sampled tomorrow from 11 am to 8pm

This is a good thread. Also, maybe we should involve our girlfriends/wives in wines, and help them appreciate wines too. But it is hard for me to explain the finer points of wine to them since I am not that knowledgable. It is also good if we had a WEB (wine eye ball) instead of a SEB.

It should be an orgasmic experience for them too. Besides, wine is more romantic than getting your date drunk on San Mig Light. If only champagne was cheap I'd be drinking it all the time.

Ako din naman, I drink what tastes good to me -- whatever vintage, whatever, year from nearly every country except China. I know what I don't like - table wines and mixed wines which taste like sour grape juice.

Masarap ba yung China wines? Mura sila. Siguro lasang champoy. :boo:

This is  a good thread.  Also, maybe we should involve our girlfriends/wives in wines, and help them appreciate wines too.  But it is hard for me to explain the finer points of wine to them since I am not that knowledgable.  It is also good if we had a WEB (wine eye ball) instead of a SEB. 

It should be an orgasmic experience for them too. Besides, wine is more romantic than getting your date drunk on San Mig Light.  If only champagne was cheap I'd be drinking it all the time.

Ako din naman, I drink what tastes good to me -- whatever vintage, whatever, year from nearly every country except China.  I know what I don't like - table wines and mixed wines which taste like sour grape juice.

Masarap ba yung China wines?  Mura sila.  Siguro lasang champoy.  :boo:

there is no such thing as starting late nor early when it comes to wine. it is an appreciation of life and living, get your wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend and friends into wine.

i started more than 10 years ago and i was clueless. try starting by buying reasonably priced wines. Wines from Chile are reasonable. Ranging from 250 to 500 per bottle (and this would be top end). I started out by reading about how to taste wines, what flavors to look for, is it dry or sweet, its texture, its boquet (the smell). Also try appreciating 1 type of grape at a time like cabernet sauvignon, merlot, or pinot. Try to master the smell of this grape variety before you take on a different grape type.

some tips... make sure the bottle and wine glasses are clean. once you uncork it observe the cork...look at the color at the tip (red or almost violet to black) dont smell the cork. you dont get anything from the cork. pour a little in a glass then twirl the glass, this allows air to mix. then smell it and figure out what you smell..

then take a small sip and wet your entire tongue and gums. swallow the wine then inhale some air through the mouth. then identify the flavors in your tongue.

it is also good that you let an open bottle "breathe" for about 15 minutes before you serve it. it allows air to mix with your wine and all the flavors come out.

if you dont have time, you can "decant" your wine... bibilib ang mga kaibigan mo sa yo. but this would entail additional expense as you need to buy a decanter.

i hope i was able to contribute something with this long reply..

enjoy... live life! :cool:

Masarap ba yung China wines? Mura sila. Siguro lasang champoy.

The most traditional and popular Chinese wine is know as ShaoShing. It is rice wine. It is usually served warm.

It is decanted in a small container which is dipped in warm water.

It is served in cupitas.

Depending on your host, sometimes ShaoShing is mixed with either, slices of ginger, slices of lemon, a few piece of kiamon, or crystalize sugar. These ingredients can either be mixed in the decanter or in each cupita.

If you are invited to a chinese banquet you are expected to drink with everyone in the table, bottoms up. This is quite an experience.

Of course like any other wine there is regular ShaoShing and really expensive ShaoShing. 1 bottle could be more expensive than a bottle of Dom Perignon or Johnnie Walker Blue Label.

thank you bods...you're so good to me :)  :blush:

the show will be on November just in time for the coming Holiday Season. It will be a double purpose visit for me since i am also going to do some sourcing for my gift baskets business.

mixing business with pleasure :upside:

you've always been good gracing the pages of the Thread :)

do share some tidbits about that November wine show, ok?

Business with pleasure is always the best mix!

Cheers!

have a nice week.....

My sister highly recommends a california wine that made good during one of the wine tasting conventions in Europe. It costs only two dollars hence it's called two-buck chuck.

is that really the name, two-buck chuck? who's the maker? i'm interested coz the gourmet food and wine show i'm going to will feature wines from california region so might as well check that out...hmmnnn interesting name though :cool:

This is  a good thread.  Also, maybe we should involve our girlfriends/wives in wines, and help them appreciate wines too.  But it is hard for me to explain the finer points of wine to them since I am not that knowledgable.  It is also good if we had a WEB (wine eye ball) instead of a SEB. 

It should be an orgasmic experience for them too. Besides, wine is more romantic than getting your date drunk on San Mig Light.  If only champagne was cheap I'd be drinking it all the time.

Ako din naman, I drink what tastes good to me -- whatever vintage, whatever, year from nearly every country except China.  I know what I don't like - table wines and mixed wines which taste like sour grape juice.

Masarap ba yung China wines?  Mura sila.  Siguro lasang champoy.  :boo:

ccl says it tastes like cough syrup, and I take his word for it :D

I am a wine person - curious...  are there any good ones from Manila?  I prefer reds - shiraz being my favorite.

there are some good wines available here ....if shiraz is your preference, Bin 555 from Wyndham Estate is readily available off grocery shelves and it's quite good at its price point..an obscure shiraz - Moss Brothers - is not readily available but i heard it's a bloody ripper of a wine...

there is no such thing as starting late nor early when it comes to wine.  it is an appreciation of life and living, get your wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend and friends into wine.

i started more than 10 years ago and i was clueless.  try starting by buying reasonably priced wines.  Wines from Chile are reasonable.  Ranging from 250 to 500 per bottle (and this would be top end).  I started out by reading about how to taste wines, what flavors to look for, is it dry or sweet, its texture, its boquet (the smell).  Also try appreciating 1 type of grape at a time like cabernet sauvignon, merlot, or pinot.  Try to master the smell of this grape variety before you take on a different grape type. 

some tips... make sure the bottle and wine glasses are clean.  once you uncork it observe the cork...look at the color at the tip (red or almost violet to black) dont smell the cork.  you dont get anything from the cork. pour a little in a glass then twirl the glass, this allows air to mix.  then smell it and figure out what you smell..

then take a small sip and wet your entire tongue and gums. swallow the wine then inhale some air through the mouth.  then identify the flavors in your tongue.

it is also good that you let an open bottle "breathe" for about 15 minutes before you serve it.  it allows air to mix with your wine and all the flavors come out.

if you dont have time, you can "decant" your wine... bibilib ang mga kaibigan mo sa yo.  but this would entail additional expense as you need to buy a decanter.

i hope i was able to contribute something with this long reply..

enjoy... live life! :cool:

pare I'm amazed - not only are you a cigar fancier - you are one bloody wine enthusiast! Thanks for the contributions - you couldn't have demonstrated the finer points of wine better!

Masarap ba yung China wines?  Mura sila.  Siguro lasang champoy. 

The most traditional and popular Chinese wine is know as ShaoShing.  It is rice wine.  It is usually served warm.

It is decanted in a small container which is dipped in warm water.

It is served in cupitas.

Depending on your host, sometimes ShaoShing is mixed with either, slices of ginger, slices of lemon, a few piece of kiamon, or crystalize sugar.  These ingredients can either be mixed in the decanter or in each cupita.

If you are invited to a chinese banquet you are expected to drink with everyone in the table, bottoms up.    This is quite an experience.

Of course like any other wine there is regular ShaoShing and really expensive ShaoShing.  1 bottle could be more expensive than a bottle of Dom Perignon or Johnnie Walker Blue Label.

I once saw a cabernet sauvignon Chinese wine once and I was surprised - do they grow those grapes there? If so, I wondered about the Chinese's level of skill in winemaking.....Having pondered those questions, I decided to just view them as some curiosity - my money I wouldn't waste on them :D