I'm not really into wine, i mean i don't drink as often as other people, just drink them on special occassions and some dinner..but i do stock at home for my guests.

I do love Icewine which are made from Niagara Ontario which is one of the worlds biggest producer of icewine. And yeah, they are expensive, specially if you'll get the vintage ones. I tasted Cockburns Port and it is really good, i still have a half a bottle left..hheheh. Magnotta wines are also good, i've tasted their dessert wines and their merlot, affordable too. I usually prefer red wines over white wines most of the time..i don't like greek wines though.

Now that you mention it, maybe you can donate it to the Cooking Thread here to use in one of their recipes that will require wine :D

O kaya magpa-quiz ka uli dun sa PP with the wines as prizes, o diba?

Magnotta wines have published a calendar/recipe this year incorporating their wines with the ingredients..but i haven't tried one yet..seguro I can share it with you sometime pag d ko tinamad mag type,heheh. Puwede naman segurong i substitute nalang yung wine with the same kind kahit hindi the same brand. kasi they have food combinations too...

were you connected with Jardine? What happened ba?

bods, we are among those service providers for caldbeck for almost 10 years.

well, accordingly, bacardi pull out there share on caldbeck likewise moet hennessy, (i think moet hennessy also owns a share on diageo), so the principal company in singapore closed the manila company, giving up all exclusive distributorship to good brands of wines & spirits. this is done is a blink of an eye....

but you know, the brands are known in the market so its sells on its own. do you buy from caldbeck before?

pareng bods1000, you sure know a lot about wines. wine drinker ka pala. About me, I'm allergic to anything alcoholic. Asian descendants are more prone to an allergic reaction from alcohols than European descendants because of their water supply in historic times. Rivers and lakes are polluted in Europe in those days that's why Europeans consume more wines as substitute for clean water. While Asians have "cleaner" water to consume hence Europeans have evolve to having lesser (or none) hypersensitivity to wines while Asians have not. 60-70% of Asians have an allergic reaction from drinking wines.....kasama na ako duon. :)

whooaaa!..

now thats added knowledge for me.... im learning a lot from you guys....

is it true that red wines stain your teeth?

pareng bods1000, you sure know a lot about wines. wine drinker ka pala. About me, I'm allergic to anything alcoholic. Asian descendants are more prone to an allergic reaction from alcohols than European descendants because of their water supply in historic times. Rivers and lakes are polluted in Europe in those days that's why Europeans consume more wines as substitute for clean water. While Asians have "cleaner" water to consume hence Europeans have evolve to having lesser (or none) hypersensitivity to wines while Asians have not. 60-70% of Asians have an allergic reaction from drinking wines.....kasama na ako duon. :)

I have to know a lot about wines because I sell them :P but trying to learn about something is easy if you have an affinity for it.. I love to drink wine so learning about them comes easy.

Wines contain sulfites, and it is this component that sometimes gives allergic reactions to people who are prone to allergic reactions. That's why wineries are required to print the sulfite content on their labels...

Regards, pare!

ako trip ko montes alpha :cool: mas gusto ko din white compared to red wine :)

Mahilig ka pala sa Chileans, pare. Chilean wines have come of age - masasarap na wines nila ngayon and they're comparatively cheaper na din..

You know what - from experience parang mas malakas makalasing ang whites kesa reds :D and what's good about whites is that you can drink them chilled...

Ola Bods! I told yah masarap si St. Hugo! It's got a real looooong "finish" and to think I don't know my wines hah at lasang lasa ko siya. :lol:

I picked up a bottle of Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 vintage and some gold medal award recipient ekek at the airport as part of my last minute shopping. I'm told it's supposed to be good and follows through with a "delicate mouth feel and good length." :lol: Whatever that means! Will tell you if it's any good to the wine-idiot once I've opened the bottle. Hehe.

I just might pay your resto a visit with the bf (in 4 weeks) to pick up my semillon! :) Then you and the BF can have a long discussion about wine. Whaddya say? ;)

I still have to experience that "long finish" you're talking about, not having had the pleasure of tasting the St. Hugo :P

ok here's your Wolf Blass:

Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2002

A rich deep red wine with aromas of plum and berry with a subtle touch of oak. This wine follows through with a delicate mouth feel and long finish (hehehe). A good food suggestion is crown of lamb with garlic and herb stuffing. Enjoy now or will reward between 2 and 5 years cellaring.

Wolf Blass is another prestigious Aussie winemaker. Personally I have tasted one of their Eaglehawk series.

PM me if your resto trip pushes through then I can have the Semillon ready. It's in fact available at the resto. I would love to talk with your bf - kaya lang baka connoiseur yun ha. I might be at a loss :D

Cheers!

I'm not really into wine, i mean i don't drink as often as other people, just drink them on special occassions and some dinner..but i do stock at home for my guests.

I do love Icewine which are made from Niagara Ontario which is one of the worlds biggest producer of icewine. And yeah, they are expensive, specially if you'll get the vintage ones. I tasted Cockburns Port and it is really good, i still have a half a bottle left..hheheh. Magnotta wines are also good, i've tasted their dessert wines and their merlot, affordable too. I usually prefer red wines over white wines most of the time..i don't like greek wines though.

Magnotta wines also come from Niagara, Ontario. Where do you get them ba? Are they available here?

Port has a high alcohol content as compared with ordinary still wines so medyo nakakalasing siya. I'm not familiar with Greek wines - how do they taste ba?

Magnotta wines have published a calendar/recipe this year incorporating their wines with the ingredients..but i haven't tried one yet..seguro I can share it with you sometime pag d ko tinamad mag type,heheh. Puwede naman segurong i substitute nalang yung wine with the same kind kahit hindi the same brand. kasi they have food combinations too...

yeah, pare, pwedeng-pwede to substitute any wine brand for a recipe basta parehong type. Sana soon you can share those wine recipes, ok, para dun sa mahihilig magluto dito....thanks!

bods, we are among those service providers for caldbeck for almost 10 years.

well, accordingly, bacardi pull out there share on caldbeck likewise moet hennessy, (i think moet hennessy also owns a share on diageo), so the principal company in singapore closed the manila company, giving up all exclusive distributorship to good brands of wines & spirits. this is done is a blink of an eye....

but you know, the brands are known in the market so its sells on its own. do you buy from caldbeck before?

Pare, what's a service provider?

Ganyan nga ang nangyayari pag nagpalit ng ownersip or a giant or bigger winery buys another. Like Wolf Blass - now it's in the wing of the California winery Beringer. Wolf Blass is distributed here by a different entity while Beringer is with another - I don't know who distributes what here now :lol:

I've been buying Lindemans, Robert Giraud and Two Oceans before, and I knew then that they were distributed here by Jardine. Yun nga - nawala yung Two Oceans. I saw Lindemans now and when I read the label it is still being distributed here by Caldbeck through Caldbeck Singapore.

bods, you have a resto, can i arrange some wine tasting? i'll bring the wines.... then we can also invite the people on this thread.

The wine tasting idea is good pare, but the resto is smallish and it's Japanese but let's see what we can do. If not in our resto we can always have some wine tasting elsewhere, and yes, invite the regulars here so we can meet each other...

Cheers!

whooaaa!..

now thats added knowledge for me.... im learning a lot from you guys....

is it true that red wines stain your teeth?

uhmmm I think drinking a lot of reds might stain your teeth :P but nothing that a good brushing will erase hehe. It do stains fabric quite nasty...

Magnotta wines also come from Niagara, Ontario. Where do you get them ba? Are they available here?

Port has a high alcohol content as compared with ordinary still wines so medyo nakakalasing siya. I'm not familiar with Greek wines - how do they taste ba?

yeah Magnotta has an establishment in Niagara region (Beamsville, On) and another one in Vaughan, On but they have stores all over maybe about 7 stores in Ontario. I just actually tasted their wines last year when i started my gift basket business..kc i was also looking for non-alcohol champagnes and stuff.

Try checking their website for wholesale informations: www.magnotta.com and the company profile. They have online store din. Sa NY kaba or sa Pinas?

I was able to try this greek wine when we went for food and wine tasting for a wedding i was coordinating...anak ng tinapay di ko maintindihan lasa..kaya scratch agad sya. I mean have you tried tuba(a visayan liquor made from coconut extracts)? It's worst than that, it doesn't go down smoothly..maybe it was just one of those cheap variety. Di ko na tiningnan ang brand dismaya na ko e.

yeah, pare, pwedeng-pwede to substitute any wine brand for a recipe basta parehong type. Sana soon you can share those wine recipes, ok, para dun sa mahihilig magluto dito....thanks!

pwede kayang i lift ko na lang from their website yung iba? can i post it here or do i have to go to the Cooking thread?

yeah Magnotta has an establishment in Niagara region (Beamsville, On) and another one in Vaughan, On but they have stores all over maybe about 7 stores in Ontario. I just actually tasted their wines last year when i started my gift basket business..kc i was also looking for non-alcohol champagnes and stuff.

Try checking their website for wholesale informations: www.magnotta.com and the company profile. They have online store din. Sa NY kaba or sa Pinas?

I was able to try this greek wine when we went for food and wine tasting for a wedding i was coordinating...anak ng tinapay di ko maintindihan lasa..kaya scratch agad sya. I mean have you tried tuba(a visayan liquor made from coconut extracts)? It's worst than that, it doesn't go down smoothly..maybe it was just one of those cheap variety. Di ko na tiningnan ang brand dismaya na ko e.

Sa Pinas ako, pare. Are you in Canada ba?

I don't know about Greek wines - medyo siguro hindi pa mataas ang winemaking skills nila plus hindi siguro magaganda ang grapes na tumutubo dun :lol: There's a resto in Rockwell called Mati and it serves Greek fare. I saw in their wine lists several Greek wines pero I don't know if they're good...

pwede kayang i lift ko na lang from their website yung iba? can i post it here or do i have to go to the Cooking thread?

I don't know if you can do that - baka kasi may mga copyright ang mga yun :P pero if you can do that it's a nice idea to post it here plus in the Cooking Thread.

yeah sa Toronto ako. Mga hour and half away from Niagara, but Vaughan is nearer so i was able to check out their winery there. Tsaka tourist magnet kasi yung mga wine tours and tasting nila din kaya popular.

It's nice to live in places that make wine. Nandyan lagi ang mga winery tours, besides which you can buy at their cellar door. In fact, some wines are only available at the cellar door and not sold in any other retail outlets.

tama ka dyan...lalo na yung mga vintage nila na limited edition na talaga mabibili mo pa dun pro wala na sa retail/wine stores. Pricey nalang talaga. Okay yan sa mga collectors at wine drinkers talaga. :)

On the other end of the scale, the cellar doors sell wines which are low-priced but nevertheless yummy. Madalas nga yung mga medyo expensive ang available sa retail - their lower-end but good wines sa cellar lang mabibili.

On the other end of the scale, the cellar doors sell wines which are low-priced but nevertheless yummy. Madalas nga yung mga medyo expensive ang available sa retail - their lower-end but good wines sa cellar lang mabibili.

most of robert giraud wines are ex cellar.... pati frescobaldis, ex cellar din ang prices.

PUNT - the indentation in the bottom of a wine or champagne bottle. Serves two purposes - catching sediment and reinforcing the bottle.

WINE-BUYING TIP - the deeper the punt, the better the wine. This is an unoffical guide for me - never is this mentioned anywhere :P Notice how the cheaper wines have shallow punts. As the price increases, the deeper the punt goes - although one cannot safely assume price to be an indicator of a bottle's goodness. Nevertheless, looking at rows of unknown wines in a shelf, I always "feel their bottoms to see how deep they are" :evil: . The shallow ones I ignore - the deeper ones I try to consider buying. :P Never fails.