LOS ANGELES (AP) — The 83 bottles of wine cited in a lawsuit this week as having dangerously high levels of arsenic came from 28 California wineries and were bottled under 31 different brand labels. Some of the labels included several different types of wine, such as merlot, chardonnay, burgundy and rose.

Those labels and the types of wine cited in the complaint:

— Acronym (GR8RW Red Blend).

— Almaden (Heritage White Zinfandel, Heritage Moscato, Heritage Chardonnay, Mountain Burgundy, Mountain Rhine, Mountain Chablis).

— Arrow Creek (Coastal Series Cabernet Sauvignon).

— Bandit (Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon).

— Bay Bridge (Chardonnay).

— Beringer (White Merlot, White Zinfandel, Red Moscato, Refreshingly Sweet Moscato).

— Charles Shaw (White Zinfandel).

— Colores Del Sol (Malbec).

— Glen Ellen by Concannon (Glen Ellen Reserve Pinot Grigio, Glen Ellen Reserve Merlot).

— Concannon (Selected Vineyards Pinot Noir).

— Cook’s (Spumante).

— Corbett Canyon (Pinot Grigio, Cabernet Sauvignon).

— Cupcake (Malbec).

— Fetzer (Moscato, Pinot Grigio).

— Fisheye (Pinot Grigio).

— Flipflop (Pinot Grigio, Moscato, Cabernet Sauvignon).

— Foxhorn (White Zinfandel).

— Franzia (Vintner Select White Grenache, Vintner Select White Zinfandel, Vintner Select White Merlot, Vintner Select Burgundy).

— Hawkstone (Cabernet Sauvignon).

— HRM Rex Goliath (Moscato).

— Korbel (Sweet Rose Sparkling Wine, Extra Dry Sparkling Wine).

— Menage A Trois (Pinot Grigo, Moscato, White Blend, Chardonnay, Rose, Cabernet Sauvignon, California Red Wine).

— Mogen David (Concord, Blackberry Wine).

— Oak Leaf (White Zinfandel).

— Pomelo (Sauvignon Blanc).

— R Collection By Raymond (Chardonnay).

— Richards Wild Irish Rose (Red Wine).

— Seaglass (Sauvignon Blanc).

— Simply Naked (Moscato).

— Smoking Loon (Viognier).

— Sutter Home (Sauvignon Blanc, Gerwurztraminer, Pink Moscato, Pinot Grigio, Moscato, Chenin Blanc, Sweet Red, Riesling, White Merlot, Merlot, White Zinfandel).

• Like (+1) 1

Arsenic?

Maybe that's why I've been feeling funny of late. Lol!

Glen Ellen, Corbett Canyon, Sutter Home, Franzia, Beringer, Rex Goliath, Concannon are available here, so prudence is the greater part of valor.

Thanks pre!

So what did these winemakers say in their defense? How does arsenic get into wine?

Wow! It's a good thing I've a whiskey drinker lately!

I'm back! Glad to see the team is still here!

Bods let's drink!

Let's go!

Single malts ba yan? Lol

Good to see you back!

Aside from wine, I've lately become a little rum fancier. Still got some Brugal here, and Diplomatico. And Tito's Handmade Vodka, from corn, from Austin, Texas, the best vodka I've had, though the bottle is long empty now and it was the last bottle available at Unimart's.

Cheers! See you soon.

Let's go!

Single malts ba yan? Lol

Good to see you back!

Aside from wine, I've lately become a little rum fancier. Still got some Brugal here, and Diplomatico. And Tito's Handmade Vodka, from corn, from Austin, Texas, the best vodka I've had, though the bottle is long empty now and it was the last bottle available at Unimart's.

Cheers! See you soon.

A combination of both, single malts and blended. I was a rum drinker but more of the local brands -- I usually mix a shot of run with half a teaspoon of water, just to open it up. I guess, it works with distilled spirits.

Let me know when.

Have a good one and stay safe and healthy!

A combination of both, single malts and blended. I was a rum drinker but more of the local brands -- I usually mix a shot of run with half a teaspoon of water, just to open it up. I guess, it works with distilled spirits.

Let me know when.

Have a good one and stay safe and healthy!

Ditto!

I'll try to get in touch with storm, and let's see what happens.

Same here, just with water. Not a fan of rum-coke or bourbon-coke mixes.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The 83 bottles of wine cited in a lawsuit this week as having dangerously high levels of arsenic came from 28 California wineries and were bottled under 31 different brand labels. Some of the labels included several different types of wine, such as merlot, chardonnay, burgundy and rose.

Those labels and the types of wine cited in the complaint:

— Acronym (GR8RW Red Blend).

— Almaden (Heritage White Zinfandel, Heritage Moscato, Heritage Chardonnay, Mountain Burgundy, Mountain Rhine, Mountain Chablis).

— Arrow Creek (Coastal Series Cabernet Sauvignon).

— Bandit (Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon).

— Bay Bridge (Chardonnay).

— Beringer (White Merlot, White Zinfandel, Red Moscato, Refreshingly Sweet Moscato).

— Charles Shaw (White Zinfandel).

— Colores Del Sol (Malbec).

— Glen Ellen by Concannon (Glen Ellen Reserve Pinot Grigio, Glen Ellen Reserve Merlot).

— Concannon (Selected Vineyards Pinot Noir).

— Cook’s (Spumante).

— Corbett Canyon (Pinot Grigio, Cabernet Sauvignon).

— Cupcake (Malbec).

— Fetzer (Moscato, Pinot Grigio).

— Fisheye (Pinot Grigio).

— Flipflop (Pinot Grigio, Moscato, Cabernet Sauvignon).

— Foxhorn (White Zinfandel).

— Franzia (Vintner Select White Grenache, Vintner Select White Zinfandel, Vintner Select White Merlot, Vintner Select Burgundy).

— Hawkstone (Cabernet Sauvignon).

— HRM Rex Goliath (Moscato).

— Korbel (Sweet Rose Sparkling Wine, Extra Dry Sparkling Wine).

— Menage A Trois (Pinot Grigo, Moscato, White Blend, Chardonnay, Rose, Cabernet Sauvignon, California Red Wine).

— Mogen David (Concord, Blackberry Wine).

— Oak Leaf (White Zinfandel).

— Pomelo (Sauvignon Blanc).

— R Collection By Raymond (Chardonnay).

— Richards Wild Irish Rose (Red Wine).

— Seaglass (Sauvignon Blanc).

— Simply Naked (Moscato).

— Smoking Loon (Viognier).

— Sutter Home (Sauvignon Blanc, Gerwurztraminer, Pink Moscato, Pinot Grigio, Moscato, Chenin Blanc, Sweet Red, Riesling, White Merlot, Merlot, White Zinfandel).

Arsenic?

Maybe that's why I've been feeling funny of late. Lol!

Glen Ellen, Corbett Canyon, Sutter Home, Franzia, Beringer, Rex Goliath, Concannon are available here, so prudence is the greater part of valor.

Thanks pre!

So what did these winemakers say in their defense? How does arsenic get into wine?

Many (if not most) of these wines are low end wines. Notice the presence of 2 buck Chuck and Sutter Home , as well a a Beringer white zin.

I've never liked Concannon and couldn't put my finger on it. maybe this is why! I visit them once every 5 years just to remind myself why I don't buy their wines. They do produce a pretty nice Irish whisky, though. They ship their old red wine barrels to Ireland where they're filled with whisky and shipped back to Livermore.

Mogen David is well-known to the vagrant homeless wino community as MadDog 20-20. Way low on the quality scale. More like grape juice that's gone bad. On the same level as Ripple and Thunderbird.

Cook's??? Who drinks Cook's? Not even as good as Andre and that's REALLY putting it down....

Vineyards tend to not be rich, loamy soil but rather rocky land. Arsenic leaches from rock along with other trace elements of other metals. All these are soaked up by the vines and end up in the juice of the grape. These minerals are among the elements that give local character, otherwise known as "terroir" to wines.

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow! It's a good thing I've a whiskey drinker lately!

I'm back! Glad to see the team is still here!

Bods let's drink!

Let's go!

Single malts ba yan? Lol

Good to see you back!

Cheers! See you soon.

Bods, Masi, Storm - April is only a few weeks away!

Final schedule (or at least as final as I can make it) - Arriving Manila April 5 around noon. Leave for Baguio April 7 morning. Return Manila April 12 morning. leave April 14 morning.

So I have April 5-6 and April 12-13 free for dinner. Bringing a bottle or three for us to consume. What day works best and where? Wife and I will be staying at the Holiday Inn and suites @ Glorietta in makati.

Let me know! Bring the wives!

Re: rum - I brought a bottle of Havana Club back from Cuba early last hear. Very different from the other rums that i can find here, and from the Tanguay that my brother has a bottle of. I haven't had the need to add water to it to open it up. I did find that the local rums in Cuba were really quite nice - except for the rather harsh rums at the roneras on the street (yes, I tried one of those as well!).

post-33551-0-75653100-1457629417_thumb.jpg

Bods, Masi, Storm - April is only a few weeks away!

Final schedule (or at least as final as I can make it) - Arriving Manila April 5 around noon. Leave for Baguio April 7 morning. Return Manila April 12 morning. leave April 14 morning.

So I have April 5-6 and April 12-13 free for dinner. Bringing a bottle or three for us to consume. What day works best and where? Wife and I will be staying at the Holiday Inn and suites @ Glorietta in makati.

Let me know! Bring the wives!

Re: rum - I brought a bottle of Havana Club back from Cuba early last hear. Very different from the other rums that i can find here, and from the Tanguay that my brother has a bottle of. I haven't had the need to add water to it to open it up. I did find that the local rums in Cuba were really quite nice - except for the rather harsh rums at the roneras on the street (yes, I tried one of those as well!).

attachicon.gif_DSC7285-1_lores.jpg

So that's right after the Holy Week. Let me check the schedule, and I will also try to coordinate with the two.

Re: Havana Club bought in Havana - that should be the real deal! Is that the 7 Year old? I read it's a good one.

I also didn't need to mess around with the Diplomatico. Smooth and excellent drank neat. The Diplomatico, made in Venezuela, bought in Tokyo, being drunk in Manila. Go figure. Lol

See you.

Also of note ----

I went to the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition Public Tasting last Saturday. Guess who won a Silver Meday for their 2014 Syrah? None other than ---- (drum roll, please!!) Charles Shaw! Yes, THAT Charles Shaw. I guess I have to go try that wine.......way back when, in the second year of the label, they also had a rather nice syrah. Same winery and winemaker, perhaps?

About this San Franciso tiff, was Boz Scaggs around? Does he still have a winery?

About this San Franciso tiff, was Boz Scaggs around? Does he still have a winery?

Didn't see him there. I haven't followed his winery so I'm not sure. last time I saw him in the Bay Area was some years ago at the Sonoma jazz Festival. He was one of the featured acts.

I did see Tyler Florence (a celebrity chef) who was there signing wine glasses.

So that's right after the Holy Week. Let me check the schedule, and I will also try to coordinate with the two.

Re: Havana Club bought in Havana - that should be the real deal! Is that the 7 Year old? I read it's a good one.

I also didn't need to mess around with the Diplomatico. Smooth and excellent drank neat. The Diplomatico, made in Venezuela, bought in Tokyo, being drunk in Manila. Go figure. Lol

See you.

Exchanged messages with Storm. He should be coordinating with you as well.

Yup - Havana Club 7 year. Best of the one I tasted, even the reserva. Rules have now been eased here - not only can travelers returning from Cuba bring back $100 worth of rum and cigars, it's also now okay to bring in Cuban rum and cigars purchased in Europe (and I would guess in Asia as well).

Who's up for a Cuban trip? I already have one friend here wants to join me on a Cuban adventure late this year - maybe November - or early next year. We could meet up in SF, Cancun (or Miami if commercial flights are already running by then), or Havana. I can help set up a place to stay (a casa particular, basically a B&B) and a guide to help us get around and make arrangements for other cities.

Rum, cigars, history and photography! Not to mention great food!

Exchanged messages with Storm. He should be coordinating with you as well.

Yup - Havana Club 7 year. Best of the one I tasted, even the reserva. Rules have now been eased here - not only can travelers returning from Cuba bring back $100 worth of rum and cigars, it's also now okay to bring in Cuban rum and cigars purchased in Europe (and I would guess in Asia as well).

Who's up for a Cuban trip? I already have one friend here wants to join me on a Cuban adventure late this year - maybe November - or early next year. We could meet up in SF, Cancun (or Miami if commercial flights are already running by then), or Havana. I can help set up a place to stay (a casa particular, basically a B&B) and a guide to help us get around and make arrangements for other cities.

Rum, cigars, history and photography! Not to mention great food!

Wow! Havana!

That should be something! I've seen pictures of Havana and it's like it's trapped in a time warp. Great for camera buffs. I like the colors they have there, the old houses, the old automobiles - the place has character.

How about visas? I presume that a traveller has to have a stop in the States before he can go to Cuba.

Edited by bods1000

Didn't see him there. I haven't followed his winery so I'm not sure. last time I saw him in the Bay Area was some years ago at the Sonoma jazz Festival. He was one of the featured acts.

I did see Tyler Florence (a celebrity chef) who was there signing wine glasses.

Boz has got a new album and I saw him perform here a few years back. He's past 60 I presume, so with the slew of rock stars falling by the wayside this year, I guess it's the wine that's keeping him strong. Lol

Wow! Havana!

That should be something! I've seen pictures of Havana and it's like it's trapped in a time warp. Great for camera buffs. I like the colors they have there, the old houses, the old automobiles - the place has character.

How about visas? I presume that a traveller has to have a stop in the States before he can go to Cuba.

Great place for camera and car buffs. I never saw so many marble staircases in my life! Every single run down dilapidated building we went into had this gorgeous grand marble staircase.

Wonderful people, great food, cigars and rum!

You can pick up a visa at the airport in Cancun. When I went last year, I flew first to Cancun then hopped on the plane to Havana. There's a Cuba visa counter at the airport. $25 gets you a tourist visa. You may need to buy medical insurance when you get to Havana and that's $40, I think.

Isn't there a Cuban embassy in Manila? They're starting flights from Miami later this year.

Edited by agxo3