• 2 weeks later...

sounds good! just let me know when you want it to happen. So far, weeknights are open.

I wish I could join you!! But, no plans to head over that way any time soon......

this is the first weekend I've had since the Nw Year where I wasn't sick or working. The good news - it's Super Bowl Sunday!!

what to drink? well, the first question is - what to eat! Weather is nice so I think I'm firing up the outdoor grill and doing either baby back ribs, smoked pork loin, or spicy-glazed chicken wings. No beer - the universal drink for burnt meat is a nice zin. I just received my latest Inglenook (formerly Rubicon - just a name change) Edizione Pennino zin shipment. there's a 2007 in there that promises to be smooth, jammy, intense, slightly peppery complimenting the plum and dark berries flavors......i can taste it already!

have fun, cheer on the 'niners, eat well, drink well, but don't drink and drive!!

Edited by agxo3
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apparently it is not bad manners to stir your champagne in a glass to dissipate the bubbles. It seems it is a French custom.

This I learned again from Richman's book. And of all people, it was his dinner date Sharon Stone whom he saw doing it. It appears that Sharon Stone is no dumb bimbo as she appears cultured and well-versed in dinner ettiquette and wine appreciation. Looking through the glass of the French white Chateauneuf-du-Pape she was drinking, she remarked:

"The wine reminds me of the gowns of Catherine the Great - gold with traces of pink."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Having an ALAMOS Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina...Comites non recordabor. Vale.

Bueno bueno! Hehe

I love partaking of wines which are special to a region, or country. So it is a malbec from Argentina, a pinotage from south Africa, a shiraz from Australia, a pinot noir from Oregon, a zinfandel from California, any white from NZ, a Riesling from Germany.

• 1 month later...

tried pinot noir and liked it. will try to visit the wineries in cali when we go there this year. hope to improve my knowledge, academically as well as skills in tasting wines.

Also try visiting the Oregon wineries. Oregon pinot noirs are the best in the States, and one of the best in the world.

We await your Field Reports hehe.

Edited by bods1000
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, It's been some time since my last post. Seems business is doing well, Bods!

Will have to look for "Fork It Over" - looks like a good read.

I don't know exactly what happened with the sin tax, but prices didn't rise dramatically. Could the wine houses and distributors adjust the price so as not to significantly affect the customers?

Been drinking Shiraz-Cabernet lately. Balanced flavor, nice berry notes that go well with meats from roasts to stews.

Wow, It's been some time since my last post. Seems business is doing well, Bods!

Will have to look for "Fork It Over" - looks like a good read.

I don't know exactly what happened with the sin tax, but prices didn't rise dramatically. Could the wine houses and distributors adjust the price so as not to significantly affect the customers?

Been drinking Shiraz-Cabernet lately. Balanced flavor, nice berry notes that go well with meats from roasts to stews.

It's been sometime because I know you've been posting elsewhere hehe. What business are you referring to? Yours or mine? If yours, well congratulations! We need some catching up to do here. All the regulars in this thread are gone. Good thing you're still here.

Yeah FORK IT OVER is good. Maybe I'll read it again. And also Jay Rayner's book. I forgot the title. Also Simon Majumdar's EAT MY GLOBE, where he goes all over and eats anything. This book is dear because he went here in Manila and fell in love with kare-kare and balut. Check it out pare.

Me, I've been drinking anything that's cheap as long as it's wine, and shiraz-cab is an eternal favorite.

Cheers! And boo to that infernal sin tax, which fell flat on its face.

It's been sometime because I know you've been posting elsewhere hehe. What business are you referring to? Yours or mine? If yours, well congratulations! We need some catching up to do here. All the regulars in this thread are gone. Good thing you're still here.

Yeah FORK IT OVER is good. Maybe I'll read it again. And also Jay Rayner's book. I forgot the title. Also Simon Majumdar's EAT MY GLOBE, where he goes all over and eats anything. This book is dear because he went here in Manila and fell in love with kare-kare and balut. Check it out pare.

Me, I've been drinking anything that's cheap as long as it's wine, and shiraz-cab is an eternal favorite.

Cheers! And boo to that infernal sin tax, which fell flat on its face.

I was referring to your ever expanding business ventures, sir!

Too bad the old wino folks are out already.

Thanks for the other book leads. Was able to read Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential - very entertaining sensationalized memoir. Light reading with some kitchen short cuts.

Been trying to find tempranillo, but I don't see Torres wines anymore. There are other Spanish wines out in the market, but tempranillos are rare or expensive. Was given a bottle made from toro grapes (close or same variant as tempranillo) that had the unmistakable finish. Nice name too - Gago Wine. http://vintuswines.com/estates/telmo_rodriguez/toro/gago

Hope the local distributor brings it in, despite the unique name. hehehe

I was referring to your ever expanding business ventures, sir!

Too bad the old wino folks are out already.

Thanks for the other book leads. Was able to read Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential - very entertaining sensationalized memoir. Light reading with some kitchen short cuts.

Been trying to find tempranillo, but I don't see Torres wines anymore. There are other Spanish wines out in the market, but tempranillos are rare or expensive. Was given a bottle made from toro grapes (close or same variant as tempranillo) that had the unmistakable finish. Nice name too - Gago Wine. http://vintuswines.com/estates/telmo_rodriguez/toro/gago

Hope the local distributor brings it in, despite the unique name. hehehe

Thanks FD! It looks good but it's always difficult to run these things. I hope you're also doing well in your endeavors.

Miss those winos. Maybe they're out to pasture, or fittingly, out to vineyards hehe,

I read that Bourdain book about a decade ago and I was mighty impressed that time. But looking back on it, and having read similar books, I'd say that Kitchen Confidential is some puffy self-serving volume. Plus I don't think Bourdain is one hell of a chef. Maybe if he was less of a celebrity than he is now, his books will be more credible.

There are lots of tempranillo at Barcino's. I just buy the Altozano. Good enough for my undiscriminating taste, but more importantly, better for my pocket haha.

Your mention of that Gago wine reminds me of that Argentine player Fernando Gago. Everytime he got on the pitch, or was passed the ball, or dribbled or when the World Cup announcer said his name, I would break out in uncontrolled giggles.

Edited by bods1000
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...