Finished off. '97 Retzlaff. 80% cab, 20% merlot. Tannins have receded, fruit coming forward again. Nice. Good news is I bought a half case, so 5 more bottles! The '97 cabs are coming along nicely and should be good drinking right around now. That's next on my drink list.

Next time we have folks over I have a 2002 Rubicon that's just begging to be opened.

• 3 weeks later...

@itikbitik - what's that wine tasting room in Dogpatch? I think I'll head up to city one day next week just to goof off and take some pictures. if it's not too far from the Muni line I might head that way........Chateau Montelena cabs are nice - good for XMas if you're having prime rib. I always do a whole prime rib for XMas dinner with family and I always open a really nice cab as the dinner wine.

@agxo3 Sorry late reply. I go to the one in 22nd and 3rd. Sutton Cellars. It's behind mr and mrs miscellaneous the ice cream place. The area is awesome for foodies. Really good ice cream. Nice new restaurants and magnolia brewing company is close by also.

For xmas I stick to tradition, callos, paella, and lengua con seta. Based on your earlier reply are you doing product management? Any hints on the stealth startup? hehehe The company I work for now is no longer flying under the radar. Oracle, SAP, and Microsoft already took notice. We're in for a fight.

@agxo3 Sorry late reply. I go to the one in 22nd and 3rd. Sutton Cellars. It's behind mr and mrs miscellaneous the ice cream place. The area is awesome for foodies. Really good ice cream. Nice new restaurants and magnolia brewing company is close by also.

For xmas I stick to tradition, callos, paella, and lengua con seta. Based on your earlier reply are you doing product management? Any hints on the stealth startup? hehehe The company I work for now is no longer flying under the radar. Oracle, SAP, and Microsoft already took notice. We're in for a fight.

22nd and 3rd....I can take Muni down 3rd. I think there's a stop right there! Not this week..... I have camping trip planned this weekend. Me off by myself. Wifey stays home and gets to sleep in.....

I'm doing pretty much everything for that startup - product management, pushing the architecture, driving product development, recruiting the core engineering team, getting the (very small) network and IT admin set up.........we're driving to Porto to demo to VCs in about 2 weeks. If we get traction and money then we kick off full development. Sorry, no hints. We're playing it real close to the vest.

Sounds like life will get exciting for you very soon! Good luck!

Edited by agxo3

i prefer red wine after dinner

Unless it's a really top-end red (maybe a 1975 Chateau Gruaud-Larose? Or a 1995 Rubicon?) red wine is best paired with a good meal. Or a good cigar. Or even better, both. :D

After dinner I prefer a good brandy (lately I've been drinking a Hennessey white brandy), whisky (18 year Talker, Hibiki, or Yamasaki), or when I want something light, a good sherry (Lustau Palo Cortado!).

Not much for a white unless it's an un-oaked chard.

Correct!

Hindi gaya ng naimbak na plaka yan. You can clean an old record and can still play it. But an improperly stored wine. You won't even be able to take a sip out of it.

And yes, wine is best taken with meals. It can also be taken on very late night hours, like what I and some others do. While listening to some late night Bill Evans, or trying to compose a short story. A red is indeed nice company for that. Immediately after dinner, some coffee or espresso would do.

Pero kanya-kanya naman yan. Whatever floats your boat...

• 4 weeks later...

@agxo3

If you're in to Sherry try 15 Romolo in North Beach. Their selection is great.

Found this nice store in Grand Ave in South City called Bitters and Bottles and they recommended this Bourbon called Lost Republic which was awesome. Ended up returning and picking up 6 bottles. hehehe I also picked up a couple of Balcones Single Malt and Balcones Baby Blue.

Did you get funded btw?

IB - not funded yet. Finishing the demo so we can get in front of the VCs before Thanksgiving. If not, it will be early next year.

Lost Republic - gotta try that! How's the Balcones?

Bods/Masi - school reunion got punted to April - just before tax day!!! So I won't be there in late jan as originally planned. I still plan to be there at least 2 weeks, with at least 3-4 days in MAnila, so we have time for an EB. Still planning to bring a really nice Rubicon. 2004?

Picked up a bottle of Cirq Treehouse Pinot Noir. Cirq is the new winery by Michael Brown of Costa-Brown fame. Wow! And I think I'll be on the list for their next releae. Now THAT's what a California pinot should be like. Smooth, just a hint of the funk (mushrooms, cedar bark) that marks a true pinot, lots of bright red berries and cherries, and a slight hit of smoke and tobacco. And that "what the hell is that?" hint of almonds way in the back.

Bods/Masi - school reunion got punted to April - just before tax day!!! So I won't be there in late jan as originally planned. I still plan to be there at least 2 weeks, with at least 3-4 days in MAnila, so we have time for an EB. Still planning to bring a really nice Rubicon. 2004?

Picked up a bottle of Cirq Treehouse Pinot Noir. Cirq is the new winery by Michael Brown of Costa-Brown fame. Wow! And I think I'll be on the list for their next releae. Now THAT's what a California pinot should be like. Smooth, just a hint of the funk (mushrooms, cedar bark) that marks a true pinot, lots of bright red berries and cherries, and a slight hit of smoke and tobacco. And that "what the hell is that?" hint of almonds way in the back.

Copy pre!

Mainit na dito nun hehe! See you!

• 2 weeks later...

Successful Thanksgiving dinner with brother and his family.

We brought the appetizers - tapas inspired. Butternut squash soup shooters with créme fraiche and chives, pork belly (with crispy skin!!) in Brazilian cheese bread with my very own apple cider vinegar BBQ sauce, deviled eggs with caviar and truffle oil, a very Spanish Ibericó meat platter - jamón , lomo, chorizo and salami - with garroxta cheese, roasted chanterelle mushrooms on truffle butter toasted baguette, and (you've been wondering where the wine was!) a very nice Lustau Peninsula Palo Cortado and a magnum of 2008 J Vineyards brut sparkling wine.

Almost anti-climactic - Inglenook Rubicon 2004 to go with the turkey dinner.

Bods/Masi - dates for next year are pretty well set. Arriving Manila April 6, drive to Baguio next day. Return to Manila April 11 or 12, return to SF April 14. Wine EB! What date works best for you guys? I'll bring a real nice bottle or three.

Successful Thanksgiving dinner with brother and his family.

We brought the appetizers - tapas inspired. Butternut squash soup shooters with créme fraiche and chives, pork belly (with crispy skin!!) in Brazilian cheese bread with my very own apple cider vinegar BBQ sauce, deviled eggs with caviar and truffle oil, a very Spanish Ibericó meat platter - jamón , lomo, chorizo and salami - with garroxta cheese, roasted chanterelle mushrooms on truffle butter toasted baguette, and (you've been wondering where the wine was!) a very nice Lustau Peninsula Palo Cortado and a magnum of 2008 J Vineyards brut sparkling wine.

Almost anti-climactic - Inglenook Rubicon 2004 to go with the turkey dinner.

Bods/Masi - dates for next year are pretty well set. Arriving Manila April 6, drive to Baguio next day. Return to Manila April 11 or 12, return to SF April 14. Wine EB! What date works best for you guys? I'll bring a real nice bottle or three.

The 12th would work best for you, I should guess. It's been years ha!

Dala ka din nung garroxta cheese. I am intrigued. I love cheese! Is that some kind of a Basque cheese? Pangalan kasi eh lol!

The 12th would work best for you, I should guess. It's been years ha!

Dala ka din nung garroxta cheese. I am intrigued. I love cheese! Is that some kind of a Basque cheese? Pangalan kasi eh lol!

Lets go for the 12th for now....you never know, things can change again!

Garroxta is similar to a P'tit Basque, but a bit softer and less sharp. I'll bring a wedge if I can still find it at that time. Sa Costco kasi - you find it now, next time wala na naman.

Lets go for the 12th for now....you never know, things can change again!

Garroxta is similar to a P'tit Basque, but a bit softer and less sharp. I'll bring a wedge if I can still find it at that time. Sa Costco kasi - you find it now, next time wala na naman.

Will the Rubicon pair well with the mild garrotxa?

My favorite nowadays is wine with kesong puti, the one that's made in Laguna or Davao. I eat it actually with any kind of wine - shiraz, cab, or pinotage lol! I like its texture and the flavor is not too complicated.

I saw a Ravenswood Zin in rustans again. 2012 vintage. Would it still be good? I remember having Ravenswood years ago and I was not impressed. Stag's Leap is also now available at rustans at an astronomical price. Its 2012 vintage I guess is still too green.

Will the Rubicon pair well with the mild garrotxa?

My favorite nowadays is wine with kesong puti, the one that's made in Laguna or Davao. I eat it actually with any kind of wine - shiraz, cab, or pinotage lol! I like its texture and the flavor is not too complicated.

I saw a Ravenswood Zin in rustans again. 2012 vintage. Would it still be good? I remember having Ravenswood years ago and I was not impressed. Stag's Leap is also now available at rustans at an astronomical price. Its 2012 vintage I guess is still too green.

Rubicon would overpower the garroxta - its a bit on the mild side. A good rioja would do well, or a GSM (grenache-syrah-mourvedre). Or a really good pinot noir.

With kesong puti I'd go even lighter - a light pinot, like a David Bruce 2005 or a young, light, bright zin from around the Lodi area.

The Ravenswood 2012 should still be good - I'm just now drinking my 2009 Edizione Pennino zins from Inglenook and they are wonderful. I also have some 2010 Noah;'s zins that are drinking really well right now. The questions is - which of the Ravenswoods? they make a number of different levels of the zins you really need to specify which one. If you can find Ridge, give it a try. The 2011s are very nice. Seghesio with the blue foil is quite good. But my favorite from the Dry Creek area is the Zichichi Estate zin from 2009.

Stags leap - again, which one? 2012 is one I would hold for another 2 years, at least. If you can find Caymus, or Mt. Veeder, go for it!

Rubicon would overpower the garroxta - its a bit on the mild side. A good rioja would do well, or a GSM (grenache-syrah-mourvedre). Or a really good pinot noir.

With kesong puti I'd go even lighter - a light pinot, like a David Bruce 2005 or a young, light, bright zin from around the Lodi area.

The Ravenswood 2012 should still be good - I'm just now drinking my 2009 Edizione Pennino zins from Inglenook and they are wonderful. I also have some 2010 Noah;'s zins that are drinking really well right now. The questions is - which of the Ravenswoods? they make a number of different levels of the zins you really need to specify which one. If you can find Ridge, give it a try. The 2011s are very nice. Seghesio with the blue foil is quite good. But my favorite from the Dry Creek area is the Zichichi Estate zin from 2009.

Stags leap - again, which one? 2012 is one I would hold for another 2 years, at least. If you can find Caymus, or Mt. Veeder, go for it!

Would the Ravenswood zin pair well with the kesong puti? There are not many good pinots here but I'll try looking for one at Santi's. Conversely, if you're bringing a Rubicon, what cheese would go well with that? Kami na bahala sa cheese.

I'll go check what Ravenswood it is. I doubt if we have Caymus or Mt Veeder here.

Speaking of premium, I once bought a Mt Langi Ghiran Cliff Edge Shiraz. No great shakes. Too green - that's a 2013 vintage. I nearly fell off a cliff.

Would the Ravenswood zin pair well with the kesong puti? There are not many good pinots here but I'll try looking for one at Santi's. Conversely, if you're bringing a Rubicon, what cheese would go well with that? Kami na bahala sa cheese.

I'll go check what Ravenswood it is. I doubt if we have Caymus or Mt Veeder here.

Speaking of premium, I once bought a Mt Langi Ghiran Cliff Edge Shiraz. No great shakes. Too green - that's a 2013 vintage. I nearly fell off a cliff.

Cabs go well with a mild blue cheese. Or. A good (real French) Brie or a Crottin de chavignol. Or maybe even an aged Gouda.

Don't know much about Aussie wines. With all the local wines here no reason to go far afield excep for some premium Old World wines.

• 2 weeks later...

So a gouda, it is. I'm not sure what a mild blue cheese is. All the blue cheese I've tasted are not mild haha.

I've gotten in touch with masi. Told him you'd be here in April. Si Ferdie madali na ma-contact.

Blue cheeses go from mild to really stinky. A Point Reyes Blue would be considered mild.

Broke tradition this year and did NOT open a rubicon for Christmas dinner. Instead we had a 2006 Retzlaff Family Reserve cabernet sauvignon. Very nice with the prime rib and the Smithfield ham (a lot like the old-style "Chinese" hams I grew up with). but, since my daughter was feeling like she missed something, we opened a 2002 Rubicon for Christmas Day dinner......

post-33551-0-90147500-1451586557_thumb.jpg

On the 27th we took my wife out for her birthday celebration to a SF restaurant called La Folie. Very nice, French cuisine. Casual but elegant. Great food! We split a half-bottle of the Chinon you see in the picture, and I later had a glass of a very nice 1976 Chinon. THAT was an experience! At $25 for the glass you know it had to be good! But they let me have a taste first before pouring me the glass. That was nice of them.....

post-33551-0-10977100-1451586577_thumb.jpg

See you in April!!