• 2 weeks later...

Riesling is good even with Chinese and Filipino cuisine. This is my go to wine when I want a white wine. The light and sweetness goes very well with lechon, crispy para and other fried foods. Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnays are second choices not unless it will be paired with light sauce pasta, grilled seafood or light sauteed vegetables or even fresh garden salads.

Cabernet Sauvignon is my go to wine when I need a red one. The full and robust taste goes very well with red meat types of food. If not available, I can go for Shiraz or even Zinfandel. But these are second choices not unless they are reputed to be from good years.

Best Lunch Menu

Crab cakes with aoli dip

Linguini with clams in olive oil

Baguette with butter

Glass of Chardonnay

Americano coffee

Lemon/Lime Tart

Best Dinner Menu

Campari Soda w/ lemon twist

Fresh Oysters with Lemon

Caesar Salad

French Onion Soup

Grilled Rib Eye Steak medium well

Cabernet Sauvignon

Americano coffee

Key Lime Pie ala mode (french vanilla ice cream)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks FD! It looks good but it's always difficult to run these things. I hope you're also doing well in your endeavors.

Miss those winos. Maybe they're out to pasture, or fittingly, out to vineyards hehe,

I read that Bourdain book about a decade ago and I was mighty impressed that time. But looking back on it, and having read similar books, I'd say that Kitchen Confidential is some puffy self-serving volume. Plus I don't think Bourdain is one hell of a chef. Maybe if he was less of a celebrity than he is now, his books will be more credible.

There are lots of tempranillo at Barcino's. I just buy the Altozano. Good enough for my undiscriminating taste, but more importantly, better for my pocket haha.

Your mention of that Gago wine reminds me of that Argentine player Fernando Gago. Everytime he got on the pitch, or was passed the ball, or dribbled or when the World Cup announcer said his name, I would break out in uncontrolled giggles.

I've been gone a LOOONG time! First time I've checked MTC I. Over a year, and I see this thread's been inactive a few months.

Bods, sorry but it's been really hectic here. I do plan on being in Baguio last week of Jan next year for a school reunion. I don't know yet if I will stay on after, or fly in early. Once I know I will let you know. We need to get together and drink some wine! I'm still in the Rubicon (now Inglenook) wine club, and have picked up a couple of interesting wines that I haven't shared with you yet.

In the meantime - Michael Brown of Kosta-Brown fame has a new winery called Cirq and he puts out a stellar Pinot. Try to find it there if you can. Expensive ($100) but worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been gone a LOOONG time! First time I've checked MTC I. Over a year, and I see this thread's been inactive a few months.

Bods, sorry but it's been really hectic here. I do plan on being in Baguio last week of Jan next year for a school reunion. I don't know yet if I will stay on after, or fly in early. Once I know I will let you know. We need to get together and drink some wine! I'm still in the Rubicon (now Inglenook) wine club, and have picked up a couple of interesting wines that I haven't shared with you yet.

In the meantime - Michael Brown of Kosta-Brown fame has a new winery called Cirq and he puts out a stellar Pinot. Try to find it there if you can. Expensive ($100) but worth it!

Wow!

You're back! Hey pare sorry to have seen your post just now but as you can see it's been such a dead dead thread. Pero let's just say the thread is in the maturation stage. Hibernating. But now you're back, let's get it on again.

Pare I miss you and all the winos and that's a big understatement.

It warms my heart to know you're all good and still kicking. The same old agxo!

pards, I am in Baguio every start of the year, right after New year. Sana magkita tayo dun. If not, ok na din dito. Sa resto ko uli because that's the only place where we can get drunk without the waiters giving us dirty looks haha. Miss those times. Hey our alabang is bigger now. Treat ko kayo dun.

Your wine stories always salivate me because alam mo man lowbrow tayo dyan. But lately I've taken a fancy to two Aussie wines. One is a Barossa bruiser called Barry Morgan the other is a Margaret River beauty called Ferntree.

See you around. And keep in touch.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!

You're back! Hey pare sorry to have seen your post just now but as you can see it's been such a dead dead thread. Pero let's just say the thread is in the maturation stage. Hibernating. But now you're back, let's get it on again.

Pare I miss you and all the winos and that's a big understatement.

It warms my heart to know you're all good and still kicking. The same old agxo!

pards, I am in Baguio every start of the year, right after New year. Sana magkita tayo dun. If not, ok na din dito. Sa resto ko uli because that's the only place where we can get drunk without the waiters giving us dirty looks haha. Miss those times. Hey our alabang is bigger now. Treat ko kayo dun.

Your wine stories always salivate me because alam mo man lowbrow tayo dyan. But lately I've taken a fancy to two Aussie wines. One is a Barossa bruiser called Barry Morgan the other is a Margaret River beauty called Ferntree.

See you around. And keep in touch.

Cheers!

Hey Bods! Sorry it took so long to get back on. But now that I'm retired (let's see how long THAT lasts!) I get to do more wining.

I'll be in Baguio Jan 21-24 for sure and a few days before and/or after. Let's plan something! I'm trying to get a friend to schedule one of his PhotoReks to Myanmar or Cambodia while I'm there but nothing tides yet.

Still not big into Aussie wines. I guess I'm a California guy at heart, but I have discovered a great Portugese vino verde that's not a budget buster - Praia - it was on Wine Spectator's top 100 list a couple of years back and hasn't slipped in quality since then.

If we can set up a wine meet I'll bring a couple of good CA wines. Maybe a Rubicon and Retzlaff '96 Family Reserve? Or, if you like Zins, how about a Zichichi from Dry Creek?

Hey Bods! Sorry it took so long to get back on. But now that I'm retired (let's see how long THAT lasts!) I get to do more wining.

I'll be in Baguio Jan 21-24 for sure and a few days before and/or after. Let's plan something! I'm trying to get a friend to schedule one of his PhotoReks to Myanmar or Cambodia while I'm there but nothing tides yet.

Still not big into Aussie wines. I guess I'm a California guy at heart, but I have discovered a great Portugese vino verde that's not a budget buster - Praia - it was on Wine Spectator's top 100 list a couple of years back and hasn't slipped in quality since then.

If we can set up a wine meet I'll bring a couple of good CA wines. Maybe a Rubicon and Retzlaff '96 Family Reserve? Or, if you like Zins, how about a Zichichi from Dry Creek?

More wining and less work - that's good!

Do you mean we set up a wine eb here in manila? I can get in touch with the guys and let's have a reunion! Haven't also seen them in a long while.

Retzlaff is good! Was that the one you brought many harvests ago? It's been such a long time.

It would be good to have you around, pare.

go na yan!

Cheers!

More wining and less work - that's good!

Do you mean we set up a wine eb here in manila? I can get in touch with the guys and let's have a reunion! Haven't also seen them in a long while.

Retzlaff is good! Was that the one you brought many harvests ago? It's been such a long time.

It would be good to have you around, pare.

go na yan!

Cheers!

Hey Bods! Yup - maybe we can set up a wine EB for next time I'm in Manila - most likely end of Jan 2016. Unless I can line up some folks to talk to about maybe setting up a business there.

Retzlaff is what I brought last time - that and a Coppola (now Inglenook - name change only) Cask which is still one of my faves. The Retzlaff family reserve should be really good. It's a '96!

I've recently picked up a (pretty expensive) bottle of pinot that i', holding for another year before drinking. It's a Cirq 2013 pinot from the Russian River Valley and it's made by Michael Browne who was the winemaker for the highly acclaimed (and VERY expensive cult wines) Kosta-Browne. We went to the release part and it was so good I bought a bottle and signed up for more next year. It's on allocation so let's see how many I get. I'll be happy to get 3.

Been a while agxo3.

Thanks for the Retzlaff suggestion a few years back. Livermore has been a destination for me now whenever I'm low on supply. Have you tried KaDieM cabs? I highly recommend it. Jax wines near AT&T Park is also not bad. :) Especially, it's close to work.

Hey! Yup long, long time......

Haven't tried those wineries you suggested. Where's KaDieM?

Have you tried the wines made by the Filipino winemaker in Sebastopol? Can remember the winery name now......

Haven't been up to Sonoma county since spring this year - I'm due for a day trip. And I need to go to Inglenook. Being a member there, I get the full "sit-down, they bring the wine to you" wine tasting (not the stand up at the bar tasting). Always a relaxing way to taste not fighting the drunken hordes at the counter.

Hey Bods! Yup - maybe we can set up a wine EB for next time I'm in Manila - most likely end of Jan 2016. Unless I can line up some folks to talk to about maybe setting up a business there.

Retzlaff is what I brought last time - that and a Coppola (now Inglenook - name change only) Cask which is still one of my faves. The Retzlaff family reserve should be really good. It's a '96!

I've recently picked up a (pretty expensive) bottle of pinot that i', holding for another year before drinking. It's a Cirq 2013 pinot from the Russian River Valley and it's made by Michael Browne who was the winemaker for the highly acclaimed (and VERY expensive cult wines) Kosta-Browne. We went to the release part and it was so good I bought a bottle and signed up for more next year. It's on allocation so let's see how many I get. I'll be happy to get 3.

End of Jan next year should be good. And that retzlaff should be better.

Can't wait to get in touch with the others. In fact, I'm thinking of us having a "waiting" celebration for you hehe. Matagal na din kaming di nagkikita.

What business is that, pare? Baka pwede ko dyan, kahit clerk lang hehe.

• 3 weeks later...

End of Jan next year should be good. And that retzlaff should be better.

Can't wait to get in touch with the others. In fact, I'm thinking of us having a "waiting" celebration for you hehe. Matagal na din kaming di nagkikita.

What business is that, pare? Baka pwede ko dyan, kahit clerk lang hehe.

Hey Bods! sorry for the late reply.......i'm trying to keep myself busy. Now working with a pre-funding stealth startup that is in dire need of a pushy engineering guy to drive product definition and get the implementation plan in place. So that's me. The pushy part, I mean. ;-)

Got our tickets lined up. Arriving Jan 17, and will stay in Manila two days. On Tuesday (19th) we head up to Baguio for the school reunion. We're in the PH until the 30th but I am not yet sure what happens after the reunion, which ends with a big dinner on the 23rd (Saturday).

Given that - how do you feel about getting together the 17th? Dinner at your resto? I think my wife will want to sleep......and she can have dinner at the hotel or right around it if she wants. Or maybe call some friends and have dinner with them! It will be really nice to see all the winos again. Let me know how many can join us - I will bring enough wine to go around. Retzlaff, an Inglenook, maybe a really nice pinot noir or zinfandel.........

Business - my brother has been talking about setting something up over there and he has some close friends who might be able to put in some funding. He's now in the wine business (wine steward at a Safeway [!]) and he was talking about a similar idea to what i talked about before - exclusive distribution of boutique California wines over there. Maybe this time, with me being retarded (retired, I mean!) and having more time, I can actually make this work!!

See you in January! Might be better to email me instead of using MTC since I don't check MTC that ofter anymore. I'll PM you my email address.

@agxo3 KaDieM is in Napa. Jax is near AT&T park in the city. Bought a couple of Montelena Chardonnay 2012 and 2011 Cab. I'll probably reserve the cabs for Christmas. hehehe There is a wine tasting room that I want to try in the Dog Patch area. I'll let you know how it goes.

@itikbitik - what's that wine tasting room in Dogpatch? I think I'll head up to city one day next week just to goof off and take some pictures. if it's not too far from the Muni line I might head that way........Chateau Montelena cabs are nice - good for XMas if you're having prime rib. I always do a whole prime rib for XMas dinner with family and I always open a really nice cab as the dinner wine.

Hey Bods! sorry for the late reply.......i'm trying to keep myself busy. Now working with a pre-funding stealth startup that is in dire need of a pushy engineering guy to drive product definition and get the implementation plan in place. So that's me. The pushy part, I mean. ;-)

Got our tickets lined up. Arriving Jan 17, and will stay in Manila two days. On Tuesday (19th) we head up to Baguio for the school reunion. We're in the PH until the 30th but I am not yet sure what happens after the reunion, which ends with a big dinner on the 23rd (Saturday).

Given that - how do you feel about getting together the 17th? Dinner at your resto? I think my wife will want to sleep......and she can have dinner at the hotel or right around it if she wants. Or maybe call some friends and have dinner with them! It will be really nice to see all the winos again. Let me know how many can join us - I will bring enough wine to go around. Retzlaff, an Inglenook, maybe a really nice pinot noir or zinfandel.........

Business - my brother has been talking about setting something up over there and he has some close friends who might be able to put in some funding. He's now in the wine business (wine steward at a Safeway [!]) and he was talking about a similar idea to what i talked about before - exclusive distribution of boutique California wines over there. Maybe this time, with me being retarded (retired, I mean!) and having more time, I can actually make this work!!

See you in January! Might be better to email me instead of using MTC since I don't check MTC that ofter anymore. I'll PM you my email address.

The 17th is my daughter's birthday so I can't commit on that day. Plan B? Haha

So you're still keen on that wine thing here. Good luck pare. I know some guy who's looking to finance ventures. Email kita.

The 17th is my daughter's birthday so I can't commit on that day. Plan B? Haha

So you're still keen on that wine thing here. Good luck pare. I know some guy who's looking to finance ventures. Email kita.

Plan B is the 18th.......or when we get back from Baguio. That date is still uncertain. Definitely no later than the 29th.

So plan C could be the 29th. :P