Right.

~~~

Anyway something I read inspired me to write here again. Plus some dash of nostalgia. And some sadness with what's happening, the proximity of it to nostalgia.

This travel writer thought it was Lambrusco he was enjoying all those years ago in a rural Italian town. A fizzy red. Coming back after twenty years, he learns that it is actually something called gutturnio, a blend of barolo and bonarda. Now that bonarda was something that mystified me in a post here years ago.

So gutturnio. Bonarda. Such exotics.

And small chance we might get to taste it. The locality of the gutturnio is in the Piacenza hills. Which brings me back to Piacenza - that small town which was the setting of my very first European jaunt and which ignited all my love for small European towns with cobblestoned streets and plazas where locals actually still hang out in Sunday bests and arguing all morning in the sun about politics and some such.

This is the same social togetherness, this culture, which unfortunately was the factor why their region was ravaged today. Piaceenza is the nearest town to Milan, the epicenter, the unfortunate epic center of the virus. I remember walking in Milan looking for an obscure record store and getting lost in a Chinatown there. But I resist the temptation of linking that fact with the emergence of the virus in that beautiful city.

Now Andrea Bocelli sings in an empty Duomo there, the pink marble the only witness to a magnificence in voice. La Scala is empty. Via Corso is empty. No one is stepping on the balls of that mosaic bull in the Galleria Emmanuele. Piacenza, and that gutturnio, is a far-off memory.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Planet Grapes has a very affordable selection of wines if you want to start although sarado na yung physical bars nila due to the pandemic, they still deliver.

Wines are my go-to drink these days maybe because tumatanda na haha but partially because some uncle had me hooked when I tasted a Chateau Margaux. 

Affordable wine choices for both wine enthusiasts and newbies are;

Tenuta Sant'Anna Moscato (Sparkling/Italy), Thorle Riesling (Riesling/Germany) and Yellow Tail Pink Moscato (very cheap).

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...