Will get in touch with you before Friday.

On a catering we did on occasion of the birthday of a Frenchman, they brought along 5 bottles of a Chateau Ponteilh Monplaisir 2001. Anybody familiar with this? The back indicated that it was imported and distributed by Le Grenouille Bleu, an outfit I didn't even know existed in these here parts. Anyway it had a number so I'm planning to get in touch with them to savor some Gallic wine for a change - not the usual French fare in the supermarkets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love adding red wine to my pasta sauces - also perfect to drink with steaks and grilled chicken. Rosé to drink with cheese and crackers :)

Nifty choices there...

Been reading Lawrence Osbornes's THE ACCIDENTAL CONNOISSEUR. A quote from him:

"Wine is 99 percent psychological, a creation of where you are and with whom."

Cheers!

• Like (+1) 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i thought this was a wine thread?

can anyone tell me if its really unhealthy to drink the cheaper wines being sold all over the place? there are wines at P190/bottle but the one i tried tasted like cardboard.

I usually buy the ones that are P500-P1000/bottle and they taste ok

well here's a question thats been bugging me since i started tasted one - how do you really know if its good wine?

i mean are there standards like red wine should be sour...white wine should be sweet? merlot should be red or whatever.

seriously with all the types and brands out there eh noobs like us should know what to expect when we buy one so that it doesnt end up in the trash can or wherever.

Edited by JayZip

In brief, more expensive wines are better-made, come from better grapes, created by serious winemakers who know their stuff, and whose brands have a tradition to uphold.

How to know if it's good? Generally, good wines have a careful balance between bitter, sweet and sour and have good

mouthfeel, that is, it leaves a lingering sensation in the mouth, tongue and back of the throat even after having swallowed a mouthful. But generally, if a wine tastes good for you, then that is a good wine, no matter what others would say.

Cheers?

Let's put it this way: if I had P190, I would just buy 6 bottles of Cerveza Negra than 1 bottle of Franzia or Carlo Rossi or that wine impostor Novellino. Identical health benefits (dark beer is supposed to be good for the health) plus a lot better-tasting.

A lot of studies have been made regarding some compounds found in red wine that are supposedly good for the heart and cholesterol. No harm imbibing the stuff, right, even if it's all studies.

Anything made from fruits and fermented should be good; in fact blueberries are also found to be as beneficial as red grapes.

Yes that's the only problem with dark beer - it's heavy on calories.

I just might look for that Paul Masson blueberry you mentioned. Sounds interesting.

Hardy's is a giant conglomerate in Australia. At the same price point there are other better-tasting Oz wines. Sometimes I buy Hardy's when there's no other available but it always leaves me disappointed.

Yes that's the only problem with dark beer - it's heavy on calories.

I just might look for that Paul Masson blueberry you mentioned. Sounds interesting.

Hardy's is a giant conglomerate in Australia. At the same price point there are other better-tasting Oz wines. Sometimes I buy Hardy's when there's no other available but it always leaves me disappointed.

I've been away from this thread way too long.......

What have I been drinking lately? Let's see.......

Tonight was a Neibaum-Coppola Pinot Noir 2008. I'd forgotten how good the "low end" Coppola wine is! Neibaum-Coppola changed to Rubicon Estates and is now once again Inglenook, restoring a legendary name to a legendary estate.

Picked up Vincent Arroyo Rattlesnake Vineyard Syrah. Powerful, dense, well-moderated tannins. The perfect rib-eye wine.

Retzlaff continues to be a great value but one wonders how long that will last. Noah's earned the displeasure of his father Bob so he's out, running a small hotel in the Sierras, while his MBA brother is taking over the winery. End of an era, I think.

Williamson is always a pleasure to visit. They pair small bites with the wine to show off what a good pairing can do for both wine and food.

I joined Windsor's wine club. Reasonable prices, very good wine. Let's see how long that lasts.

Thanksgiving coming up and I need to see what wine to bring to pair with turkey. A good Pinot is always a great match, but maybe a good Grenache or for something lighter, maybe a Tempranillo? And not to forget Praia - best vino verte I've found in the Bay Area.

No trips to Manila for the foreseeable future, alas. Maybe next year if I can get away.

Regards and happy holidays to all - Masi, Bods, Miss Lips, all the gang.......I'll toast you when I pop open that 2008 Rubicon to kick off thanksgiving dinner!

I've been away from this thread way too long.......

What have I been drinking lately? Let's see.......

Tonight was a Neibaum-Coppola Pinot Noir 2008. I'd forgotten how good the "low end" Coppola wine is! Neibaum-Coppola changed to Rubicon Estates and is now once again Inglenook, restoring a legendary name to a legendary estate.

Picked up Vincent Arroyo Rattlesnake Vineyard Syrah. Powerful, dense, well-moderated tannins. The perfect rib-eye wine.

Retzlaff continues to be a great value but one wonders how long that will last. Noah's earned the displeasure of his father Bob so he's out, running a small hotel in the Sierras, while his MBA brother is taking over the winery. End of an era, I think.

Williamson is always a pleasure to visit. They pair small bites with the wine to show off what a good pairing can do for both wine and food.

I joined Windsor's wine club. Reasonable prices, very good wine. Let's see how long that lasts.

Thanksgiving coming up and I need to see what wine to bring to pair with turkey. A good Pinot is always a great match, but maybe a good Grenache or for something lighter, maybe a Tempranillo? And not to forget Praia - best vino verte I've found in the Bay Area.

No trips to Manila for the foreseeable future, alas. Maybe next year if I can get away.

Regards and happy holidays to all - Masi, Bods, Miss Lips, all the gang.......I'll toast you when I pop open that 2008 Rubicon to kick off thanksgiving dinner!

The name of that Vincent Arroyo says it all - Rattlesnake. Sounds good and yes, powerful. Too bad it won't be seen in these shores.

Nice to know Inglenook is back. Those Niebaums you have are now collector's items, I would guess. Sayang din yung Retzlaff. I hope the quality does not go down.

Take care there pare. I know the superstorm is far from your place. It's sunny here but getting cold. Perfect for the Lindemann's we had at an outdoor party we had last night.

good day

recently bought

gato negro cabarnet sauvignon

hardys merlot

vino fino merlot

just asking if i shopuld chill them or room temp?

planning a wine tasting tomorrow

thanks

If the partys for tomorrow, keep them at room temperature for now. Stow them in a cool dark place. You can chill them for about a half-hour before serving tomorrow, bu do not put them in a freezer. When wine is overchilled, it becomes tannic or bitter, plus you will have a hard time pulling out the corks as the cork expands when chilled.

If the partys for tomorrow, keep them at room temperature for now. Stow them in a cool dark place. You can chill them for about a half-hour before serving tomorrow, bu do not put them in a freezer. When wine is overchilled, it becomes tannic or bitter, plus you will have a hard time pulling out the corks as the cork expands when chilled.

Sorry for the very late reply

Thanks sa advise that's what we did 1 hour before we chilled them

We think that gato negro was good from what we tasted although I preferred the merlot

from cabarnet,

• 2 weeks later...

Let's put it this way: if I had P190, I would just buy 6 bottles of Cerveza Negra than 1 bottle of Franzia or Carlo Rossi or that wine impostor Novellino. Identical health benefits (dark beer is supposed to be good for the health) plus a lot better-tasting.

A lot of studies have been made regarding some compounds found in red wine that are supposedly good for the heart and cholesterol. No harm imbibing the stuff, right, even if it's all studies.

Anything made from fruits and fermented should be good; in fact blueberries are also found to be as beneficial as red grapes.

Hi Bods,

What red would you recommend for daily drinking that is budget-friendly (cheap :) )?

Thanks.