It's Slim's, but yes it was a long time ago

and as with these things, he's probably not the owner anymore. He performed with Michael McDonald at the Araneta last year. Of the two performers, it was Boz Scaggs who stood out. Still got the voice and decent guitar-playing.

Hey that looks like a good project - celebrity wineries. We're looking forward to your reviews.

So Cabo Wabo is still up and about. I've been hearing about it since about 2004 when a fellow overseas-based mtc member promised to bring me one. Sadly, hindi kami nagkita. I wonder if it's available here.

Back when the Bammies (the Bay Area Music Awards) were still a big event, the newspaper where TC worked at the time would give us tickets. Always a great show. Carlos Santana (another Bay Area great - he now owns a chain of Mexican restaurants called Maria-Maria), Sammy Hagar, Greg Kihn, Green Day.......Anyway - Cabo Wabo was always featured at the bar. If, of course, always hit the B.R. Cohn red wines. Yes - B. R. Cohn, another celebrity winery (he manages the Doobie Brothers) in the Sonoma Valley.

Back when the Bammies (the Bay Area Music Awards) were still a big event, the newspaper where TC worked at the time would give us tickets. Always a great show. Carlos Santana (another Bay Area great - he now owns a chain of Mexican restaurants called Maria-Maria), Sammy Hagar, Greg Kihn, Green Day.......Anyway - Cabo Wabo was always featured at the bar. If, of course, always hit the B.R. Cohn red wines. Yes - B. R. Cohn, another celebrity winery (he manages the Doobie Brothers) in the Sonoma Valley.

Didn't know that the Greg Kihn Band and Green Day were SF regulars. Anyway the Bay Area spawned a lot of great bands in the 60s/70s. Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Santana, .....were you already there at the time?

Didn't know that the Greg Kihn Band and Green Day were SF regulars. Anyway the Bay Area spawned a lot of great bands in the 60s/70s. Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Santana, .....were you already there at the time?

Greg Kihn now hosts a morning radio show on KUFX (also called K-FOX) in the Bay Area. Classic rock format. With a heavy dose of anecdotes from his rock star days and interviews with the rock performers who come through the area on performances. He lives in Lafayette or MOraga - somewhere in that area.

I've caught a few of the performances in the area over the years, but tended to stay away from bashes like the Grateful Dead New Year concerts which were way too crowded. U2 performed just the other night and the roads were so crowded and backed up some people were stuck in traffic for over 4 hours, and never even got to the arena for the show. I'd be pissed off too!

I did drive by to inhale! ;) Crosby, Stills and Nash are also BA regulars - Graham Nash has a house in SF, and David Crosby lives in Marin County. I think Stephen Stills also has a house in the area but not sure where. I drive through Marin County on my way to the Sonoma County wineries and saw a few years back that Grace Slick's house had a fire! I hope she didn't lose too many bits of memorabilia.

Green Day performed at the Bammies a few years running and had an early career in the SF music scene but I don't think they are really from the Bay Area.

Greg Kihn now hosts a morning radio show on KUFX (also called K-FOX) in the Bay Area. Classic rock format. With a heavy dose of anecdotes from his rock star days and interviews with the rock performers who come through the area on performances. He lives in Lafayette or MOraga - somewhere in that area.

I've caught a few of the performances in the area over the years, but tended to stay away from bashes like the Grateful Dead New Year concerts which were way too crowded. U2 performed just the other night and the roads were so crowded and backed up some people were stuck in traffic for over 4 hours, and never even got to the arena for the show. I'd be pissed off too!

I did drive by to inhale! ;) Crosby, Stills and Nash are also BA regulars - Graham Nash has a house in SF, and David Crosby lives in Marin County. I think Stephen Stills also has a house in the area but not sure where. I drive through Marin County on my way to the Sonoma County wineries and saw a few years back that Grace Slick's house had a fire! I hope she didn't lose too many bits of memorabilia.

Green Day performed at the Bammies a few years running and had an early career in the SF music scene but I don't think they are really from the Bay Area.

Nice bits of trivia! Thanks, pare. For all of us who may never get to see U2 in our lifetime here in Manila, those trivia are precious for their vicarious value hehe.

Does The Dead still perform even without Jerry Garcia now? Anyway their music is too loopy for me but I got most of their classics in my record collection.

Neil Young is Canadian so I guess he does not live there like his former bandmates.

Does Greg Kihn play their hits on his radio show? The Break-up Song and Jeopardy are regulars in my ipod hehe.. Great songs...

Edited by bods1000

Nice bits of trivia! Thanks, pare. For all of us who may never get to see U2 in our lifetime here in Manila, those trivia are precious for their vicarious value hehe.

Does The Dead still perform even without Jerry Garcia now? Anyway their music is too loopy for me but I got most of their classics in my record collection.

Neil Young is Canadian so I guess he does not live there like his former bandmates.

Does Greg Kihn play their hits on his radio show? The Break-up Song and Jeopardy are regulars in my ipod hehe.. Great songs...

Neil Young lives in Santa Cruz, just over the hill from San Jose. He puts on a concert every year to benefit special children - the Bridge Concert, usually at Shoreline Amphitheater.

The Dead still perform but not under that name. Can't remember off-hand what name they perform under. Still play the Dead classics, tho.

Greg Kihn does play his own hits sometimes. He also puts on a yearly concert called the Kihn-cert also as a charity benefit.

Neil Young lives in Santa Cruz, just over the hill from San Jose. He puts on a concert every year to benefit special children - the Bridge Concert, usually at Shoreline Amphitheater.

The Dead still perform but not under that name. Can't remember off-hand what name they perform under. Still play the Dead classics, tho.

Greg Kihn does play his own hits sometimes. He also puts on a yearly concert called the Kihn-cert also as a charity benefit.

Pare you have become a lodestone of rich music nuggets for me hehehe thanks a lot. I wouldn't get to read these items anywhere here.

Yes I'm familiar with Neil Young's Bridge

Concerts as he had released some albums of this and a concert film I think. Sana I get to watch his benefit concerts there one day. Neil Young started these benefit gigs for special children because he himself has a special child - an autistic kid I think.

Phil Lesh and Mickey Hart and the rest of the remaining Dead must be in their 60s now, so it must be interesting to see them still perform.

A friend of mine who lives in LA and who's here now said that he paid $250 for a Journey concert there pero ang layo pa din daw nila sa stage! Imagine how much would a U2 or Rolling Stone ticket cost.

This is a month of celebrations. First my birthday the end of May, then last Sunday my brother's 25th anniversary. We went to dinner at the Parkside Grille in Portola Valley - small, out of the way place with good reviews. For me a nice place, a bit more expensive than it should be for the quality of the food (but then again, it's in Portola Valley where people ride their expensive horses to the restaurant), but all in all a pleasurable evening. I brought a special bottle for the celebration - 1999 Rubicon from Francis Ford-Coppola's Rubicon Estates (and from what I hear, soon to be renamed back to its original, Inglenook Winery) - from the depths of my wine fridge. Deep purple in color, hearty tannins giving great smooth mouth-feel, deep red fruit, with a hint of tobacco and a surprising tiny, but refreshing, hit of mint on the finish. Layers upon layers of flavor. Very nice!

I also had a VERY dry martini made with Hendrick's Gin. One of my favorite gins, full of berry and juniper flavors, a floral hint to the nose with a violet or lilac note. Not a gin to dilute with any extraneous flavorings, it stands on its own.

Next up, our anniversary at the end of the month, followed by the annual July 4th meat smoking, BBQ'ing and grilling party with lots of good wine to keep everyone well-lubricated. I made reservations last night for our anniversary dinner at an informal place in SF called Wayfare Tavern, run by one of the celebrity chefs - Tyler Florence. I've tried a couple of his recipes and given my pitiful kitchen skills, it turned out pretty well! So let's see if he lives up to his reputation.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, Agxo! May you have many many more birthdays and anniversaries!

Bods,

We were fortunate enough to watch U2. We got our tickets for $100 each as soon as they went on sale 6 months prior. By concert time, those seated beside us said they got theirs at $200+ each.

They're still doing their 360 Tour so you can still catch them! Click on this site: http://www.u2.com/tour/index/tour/id/76#tour_leg_display for tour dates.

Congratulations, Agxo! May you have many many more birthdays and anniversaries!

Bods,

We were fortunate enough to watch U2. We got our tickets for $100 each as soon as they went on sale 6 months prior. By concert time, those seated beside us said they got theirs at $200+ each.

They're still doing their 360 Tour so you can still catch them! Click on this site: http://www.u2.com/tour/index/tour/id/76#tour_leg_display for tour dates.

6 months prior?!

Wow, dapat pala you have to really be fast on your feet. Where did you catch them? Are you US-based now?

Thanks for the link. Did you buy the tickets online?

I read in the papers a week ago that the WTO has declared illegal the customs duties that the Philippines has been imposing on liquor. It was found that Ph has been imposing duties 10 to 40% higher than what other countries do in order to protect local liquors. The way I understand it, this high duty is imposed on liquors made from materials not found here. Johnnie Walker, Jack Danielss and brandy bodegas from Spain have lauded this decision, though the official document from the WTO will not come out till August. Maybe this is the reason why exported wine also has high duties.

6 months prior?!

Wow, dapat pala you have to really be fast on your feet. Where did you catch them? Are you US-based now?

Thanks for the link. Did you buy the tickets online?

We bought the tickets online as soon as it opened. Then we got our plane tickets MNL-ICN-LAS (cheapest tickets!). We watched their Vegas 360 show in Oct 2009 with the Black Eyed Peas as front act! The tour is now on its third round so tickets might be easier to get.

We bought the tickets online as soon as it opened. Then we got our plane tickets MNL-ICN-LAS (cheapest tickets!). We watched their Vegas 360 show in Oct 2009 with the Black Eyed Peas as front act! The tour is now on its third round so tickets might be easier to get.

I hope they have an Asian date so no need for visas.

Kaya lang puro Justin Bieber lang dinadala dito and other marginal artists like Cyrey or Kylie. If cost is a problem for any would-be promoter, do you think that Justin costs much much less than U2?

I hope they have an Asian date so no need for visas.

Kaya lang puro Justin Bieber lang dinadala dito and other marginal artists like Cyrey or Kylie. If cost is a problem for any would-be promoter, do you think that Justin costs much much less than U2?

I think the issue with the U2 360 tour is more of venue size than package cost. Their current tour stage is ginormously huge! It barely fits the width of an american football field, has to be an open arena as the stage is really tall and they require a seating capacity of around 50,000. We don't have a venue that meets their specs.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I've been away so long. Thanks, Bods and FD for the greetings.

Wayfare Tavern was very good - great food, nice location, comforting ambiance. I understand why it's always so booked and hard to get reservations at.

We were off to Barcelona, then Lisbon, then Madrid on our first real vacation in many years. The food and wine were awesome. I want to go back just for that! I didn't know that El Bulli was closing the end of July - if I had known I would have tried to make reservations and then built my trip around that. Best restaurant by the best chef in the world, or so it's been touted. $388/person for a prix fixe dinner - but that's as many as 52 (yes, you read right! 52!) courses. Once in a lifetime dinner that I would have gladly paid for.

For a red wine drinker, the whites in Spain and Portugal were a revelation. I found them light, refreshing (great for a summer's day) and they paired well with most of the food. I still had some reds - can't tear me away from that - but I came away with a new-found appreciation for albarinho, verdelho, and the other white varietals we don't see much of over this way, and when we do see them, they are old and tired. Did you know vinho verde isn't just one varietal but describes whites from a specific region in Portugal and can be any one of seven varietals? I didn't - shows you how much I know about wine!

I'm writing up my food adventures and will post them shortly. I've put up the first of the series on my daughter's food blog site - www.foodiesecrets.com

I'm working on the next but with work and all, I am finding it hard to get the time to get it done. Maybe this weekend. The last of 3 will be the art of tapas, and that won't come until a couple of weeks from now.

I am getting my net Rubicon Estates shipment soon - can't wait! And Retzlaff releases in another 3 weeks. And Michel-Schlumberger will resume shipping in October. More wine!!! :) Time to go pop open a bottle and go get on my conference call.

Edited by agxo3
  • 2 weeks later...

Labor Day weekend coming up - and with it, the annual Livermore Valley Harvest Festival. Lots of wineries joining the festivities, with wine tastings, food, and local artists showing off their wares.

We'll be pouring at Retzlaff again this year. Masi, Storm and Bods all know my fondness for Retzlaff - I've brought over a bottle or three that we've all enjoyed. (And I'm due for another trip and another wine tasting. Now if I could just find the time......certainly no shortage of good wines to share!)

For spending a Sunday afternoon pouring wines and talking about them, we get two day passes to the event so before and after our shift we can enjoy the wines at the rest of the wineries. And we get a bottle of wine as a thank you - and we get to hang around and drink the wine when our shift's over. After all, we gotta finish off the open bottles, eh? Let the morning shift start off their own bottles! ;)

If anyone's in the area this coming weekend, do come and join us, and introduce yourself to me! I'll give you more than the obligatory 1 oz. pour.

agxo!

Well, I've been away from the site for far longer than you. So, you were in Barca. I should have scheduled our trip there this year so that we could have met and have some wines. What a setting sana - drinking there with you. Didn't have any wine drinking there last year. Just lots of beers hehe..likewise with the trip last April

in the City of Lights. No wines, as I was with my non-wine drinking brothers-in-law. Again just beers, and some doobie in Amsterdam which gave me quite a scare afterwards hahaha. Should have just stuck with beers.

Speaking of verdelho, the Australian wine which I distributed ten years ago had a divine verdelho. Also the first time I tasted that varietal and it was such a surprise to have discovered that. Now I miss it. It was a Margaret River verdelho, and it compared very favorably with their semillon and sauvignon blanc, though for the money, their semillon is the clear winner.

Cheers!

agxo!

Well, I've been away from the site for far longer than you. So, you were in Barca. I should have scheduled our trip there this year so that we could have met and have some wines. What a setting sana - drinking there with you. Didn't have any wine drinking there last year. Just lots of beers hehe..likewise with the trip last April

in the City of Lights. No wines, as I was with my non-wine drinking brothers-in-law. Again just beers, and some doobie in Amsterdam which gave me quite a scare afterwards hahaha. Should have just stuck with beers.

Speaking of verdelho, the Australian wine which I distributed ten years ago had a divine verdelho. Also the first time I tasted that varietal and it was such a surprise to have discovered that. Now I miss it. It was a Margaret River verdelho, and it compared very favorably with their semillon and sauvignon blanc, though for the money, their semillon is the clear winner.

Cheers!

Well, then, welcome back!! Too bad we didn't coordinate - would have been nice to just sit around Placa Reial enjoying the warm evening and sipping wine. Since my wife doesn't drink, I was limited to what I could get by the glass.

Nice whites in Spain and Portugal, perfect for the warm weather.

Just got home from the second day of the Livermore Harvest Festival. I ended up picking up yet ANOTHER case of Wood Family wines - 6 bottles of the 2007 Hansen Ranch zinfandel, 3 of the 2008 Cabernet Franc, and 3 of the 2007 McGrail Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon. Not that I needed another case. What will I do with all this wine? You have to come over and help me drink it! ;)

Well, then, welcome back!! Too bad we didn't coordinate - would have been nice to just sit around Placa Reial enjoying the warm evening and sipping wine. Since my wife doesn't drink, I was limited to what I could get by the glass.

Nice whites in Spain and Portugal, perfect for the warm weather.

Just got home from the second day of the Livermore Harvest Festival. I ended up picking up yet ANOTHER case of Wood Family wines - 6 bottles of the 2007 Hansen Ranch zinfandel, 3 of the 2008 Cabernet Franc, and 3 of the 2007 McGrail Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon. Not that I needed another case. What will I do with all this wine? You have to come over and help me drink it! ;)

We're usually there in spring, so a red would be better to fight off the cold. But cold or warm, it will always be a pleasure to drink with you.