thanks  :)

i have this heart condition...and my boss recommended drinking red wine...

and now here i am...in this thread for wine drinkers  :cool:

Well you came to the right place! :P

Red wines do have the rep*tation of being a healthy drink (in moderation!).

Had a Beaulieu Vineyards 2001 Merlot (Napa Valley grapes from the Rutherford area) last night. Nice, well moderated tannins lending a nice structure to the wine. More flavor than is normal in a merlot, so I liked it well enough. Black cherries and dark berries, smoke and a hint of licorice. Overall, not a bad wine at all, but it still would not make my current "gotta drink" list.

What to drink tonight. It's spaghetti night for us, so a sangiovese perhaps? Or a zin? I do have one more bottle of that wonderful 1997 Noah's Lodi Zin. Maybe it's time to open it!

well pare, wine is reputedly good for the heart, among other things, but I recommend you talk first with your doctor...

if you are taking some medications right now, the alcohol might interfere with them so it's best to get the advice of a doctor...wine is best as a preventive drink to some medical conditions..it's best that you're drinking wine now so as to prevent (hopefully) some diseases like cancer, heart disease, high cholesterol, etc...

It's the gist of the French Paradox...you see in France their diet is rich is cholesterol-inducing foods like foie gras, rich cheeses, gravy, hollandaise sauce, etc but the incidence of heart disease in the area is comparatively low when compared to say, America...it has been discovered that since wine (red particularly) is a major part of their meals, it somehow neutralizes their bad diet... further medical studies have confirmed this...

more on this :)

I agree with your boss... drink red wine... so many literature have been written about the health benefits of drinking red... but needless to remind you... drink in moderation... 2 to 3 glasses a day will be good... anything more might strain your heart...

add a complete change in lifestyle... limit food intake... exercise... you would be doing yourself a big favor...

good luck enjoy the wine... like we all do here.

So many celebrities are now into winemaking. Of course there was Coppola - with his superb Niebaum-Coppola wines. There's Greg Norman the golfer with his outstanding Aussie wines. A label honoring the late great Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead has just been launched; Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac launched the Mick Fleetwood Private Cellar this year.

Now comes Boz Scaggs (that's him on my avatar :P ) - a great favorite of mine way back into the 70's. Those who remember him know him as the singer-songwriter who popularized such classics as We're All Alone, Heart of Mine, Lido Shuffle, Lowdown, Breakdown Dead Ahead and many more.

Boz Scaggs co-owns a San Francisco nightclub called Slim's and in 1997 bought a property in the Macayamas mountain range that divides the Napa and Sonoma counties.

Initially, the property had some fruit trees and olive trees then some friend gave him some grapevines which were left over from some past job. Scaggs who loves Rhone Valley wines, promptly got enamored with the grapes.

He hired John Olney of Ridge Lytton Springs as winemaker and together they bottled two blends of a 2002 vintage - one Mourvedre-dominant and the other mostly Grenache. They were reportedly exceptional - with velvety textures, rich fruit and charming spiciness. Unfortunately this was not released commercially.

Boz Scaggs plans to release the 2003 vintage through his website and a few restos but only after working out the legalities from the US Alcohol and Tobacco Tax Trade Bureau.

Any Pinot Grigio is masarap  :blink:

Was over at Fenestra Winery last Saturday. They were doing barrel tasting of new wines to be bottled later this year. Coicindentally one of them was a 2003 pinot grigio. Now, I'm not a white wine lover - I like red wine to start with, but of the whites, pinot grigio (aka pinot gris) is up there with sauvignon blanc. However, this particular example of pinot grigio was quite literally, stinky. The first whiff was of what one taster described as "cat piss". Got better after a while, but that first hit just killed it for me. The wine was watery and extremely light in flavor. Just not a good wine, IMO. I hope it improves over the next few months. So no, not ALL pinot grigios are good. This one was definitely one to pass on.

But, the 2003 merlot was quite pelasant. Can be made into a good port-style wine. A bit of residual sugar (unusual in a merlot). A huge hit of strawberry jam on the nose, bright cherries and red berries on the palate. Not good enough to get me out of the ABM club, but an "A" for effort.

The cabs were too young to really evaluate. I'll revisit them next year this time to ss just how they're developing.

Picked up two wines as part of my wine club membership - 2002 pinot noir and 2002 mourvedre. Both quite good, the pinot being the better of the two. No barnyard, bing cherries and raspberries, a bit of smoke onthe nose. The mourvedre will mak a good barbeque wine, and will go well as the wine that I add to our spaghetti sauce. Tangy but not tart, some black pepper on the finish.

Opened a 1999 BV cab last Thursday, courtesy of an old friend. A bit disappointing - the 99s were considered one of the best of teh decade in Napa, but this one while good did not live up to star billing.

well pare, wine is reputedly good for the heart, among other things, but I recommend you talk first with your doctor...

if you are taking some medications right now, the alcohol might interfere with them so it's best to get the advice of a doctor...wine is best as a preventive drink to some medical conditions..it's best that you're drinking wine now so as to prevent (hopefully) some diseases like cancer, heart disease, high cholesterol, etc...

It's the gist of the French Paradox...you see in France their diet is rich is cholesterol-inducing foods like foie gras, rich cheeses, gravy, hollandaise sauce, etc but the incidence of heart disease in the area is comparatively low when compared to say, America...it has been discovered that since wine (red particularly) is a major part of their meals, it somehow neutralizes their bad diet... further medical studies have confirmed this...

more on this :)

again, my heartfelt gratitude to you all :)

don't worry, my heart condition isn't that bad...yet...although i am doing everything to keep myself healthy

i've drank a glass or maybe two last Christmas...

and i'm planning to drink a glass or two again this week

ok, but I think a glass or two a week may not be sufficient :P

good luck to you, pare!

Absolutely! Ya gotta have a coupla glasses at least two nights a week to get the benefit. A glass a night i sprobably best.....

and in THAT vein - I had my requisite half bottle tonight. 1995 Neibaum-Coppola Estate Zin. And all I can say is - keep it comin'!!!! I gotta go find some more of that stuff. Amazingly smooth (well, it IS a '95!). Lots of bright cherry and red berry flavors, with strawberries (but not strawberry jam - it wasn't sweet) standing out. A nice hint of black pepper on the finish - but not obnoxiously so. A bit of smoke and nicely rounded tannins to hold it all together. And that plum in the background. Just enough for you to say - what the h#$l was that in the background? The to answer- whatever it was, it was gooooooooood! I can't wait till tomorrow to finish it off!!!

i drink wine but i dont like to taste it...

its just like drinking syrup medicine...

i know for a fact the moderate drinking of red wine is good for r health

thats why i have to take it every night...

at least half glass...

question peeps...

whats d difference in terms of effect between a pricey wines compare to the cheaper brands...

is it comparable to buying a generic drug over a branded one?

just wanted to be enlightened :)

at least half glass...

question peeps...

whats d difference in terms of effect between a pricey wines compare to the cheaper brands...

If all you're after is the health benefits, you don't need to drink wine. You can get a lot of the benefits just by drinking grape juice (REAL juice, not the grape flavored drinks) daily! For the health benefits, cheap is just as healthy as a GOOD wine. Not as enjoyable, but you'e not after enjoyment anyway.

Now - you say it's like drinking cough syrup - and for many wines, that's a fair assessment. However, what that means is you likely haven't tasted a good wine yet. Getting into reds first is a risky proposition - reds are not as friendly and if yu start with the wrong one can make you wonder what all the hoohah is about wine. I'd recommend you start with a light, fruit forward, just off-dry white. If you can find a moscato d'asti (from Italy! Not the schlock pretenders.) or a Vouvray (France), try those first.

Of the reds, the most approachable would be a really soft merlot, or a VERY fruity pinot noir. They won't have aging potential and will be "drink now" wines, but a good intro to reds. Another one to try if you can find it would be a light grenache - a crisp rose from Bandols (France) might do the trick.

And (I hate to say this but it's true!)a Beringer white zinfandel may be one way for you to get into wine. Sweet, but friendly. Not for me, but for many it's the wine of choice. Even here where we're all spoiled with easy access to great wines.

question peeps...

If the medical effect is from the grapes, and has nothing to do with the age of the wine, then the less expensive wines would do. But of course, the more expensive ones, more often than not, do taste way better.

From what I learned from Keith Floyd (Travel & Living Channel wine nut), certain wines are best consumed at a certain age. For a red wine like cabernet sauvignon, it's best between 5 to 7 years old. So if you go to a store and compare prices, when the wine falls into it's "optimum" age, it's at it's most expensive. So today is 2005, so a 2003 or 2002 would come in at 200-300 a bottle (depending on vineyard), then a 2000 or 1999 of the same wine from the same vineyard would come in at 500 - 600. And from experience (albeit short), the right age does make a big difference in taste!

Please note that the example above is only for cabernet-sauvignon. Beaujolais is also a red wine, but matures at a younger age. Different wines - different characteristics.

What the heck, just enjoy!

And (I hate to say this but it's true!)a Beringer white zinfandel may be one way for you to get into wine. Sweet, but friendly. Not for me, but for many it's the wine of choice. Even here where we're all spoiled with easy access to great wines.

All because Filipinos have a very sweet tooth - sweet spaghetti, sweet hotdog, sweet ketchup, etc. I agree with you - starting of with sweet wine is one way to start.

Is Zinfandel a real grape? I first heard of it 20 years ago as a California wine variety.

If the medical effect is from the grapes, and has nothing to do with the age of the wine, then the less expensive wines would do.  But of course, the more expensive ones, more often than not, do taste way better.

From what I learned from Keith Floyd (Travel & Living Channel wine nut), certain wines are best consumed at a certain age.  For a red wine like cabernet sauvignon, it's best between 5 to 7 years old.  So if you go to a store and compare prices, when the wine falls into it's "optimum" age, it's at it's most expensive.  So today is 2005, so a 2003 or 2002 would come in at 200-300 a bottle (depending on vineyard), then a 2000 or 1999 of the same wine from the same vineyard would come in at 500 - 600.  And from experience (albeit short), the right age does make a big difference in taste!

Please note that the example above is only for cabernet-sauvignon.  Beaujolais is also a red wine, but matures at a younger age.  Different wines - different characteristics.

Good rules of thumb but not always accurate. Many wines are meant to drink now, and others to age. A DRC (the most expensive Bordeaux producer) will not be ready to drink for 10-15 years, while a wine of the same vintage but from a lesser producer (say, Louis Jadot Bordeaux Villages) may be ready to drink in 5 years or less. I've got drink now cabs, and drink in 15 years cabs. And BTW - even some whites are age-worthy. I have a 2000 chradonnay that I won't touch for another 5 years. And I'm just now drinking my '95 zins. The moral is - know your wines, know your vintages. Usually better to err on the side of drinking earlier rther than later when wine is on the downhill slide to oblivion.

Wines get more expensive as they get older because the wine producer/broker/merchant has had it for a longer period of time, which means his money has not been turning over and earning a return on his investment. Therefore he needs to figure in the cost of carrying the wine in his inventory, which adds to the cost from year to year. Further, the good vintages get rarer as the years go by - people like me buy them and hold them - so the law of supply and demand kicks in. More availability, lower prices. Less availability, higher prices. The moral here is - know your wines, know your vintages, know yor producers, be willing to invest.

All this information, BTW, is available on the Web. The Wine Spectator publishes a wine vintage guide yearly that makes a good starting point for deciding when to drink a wine.

All because Filipinos have a very sweet tooth - sweet spaghetti, sweet hotdog, sweet ketchup, etc.  I agree with you - starting of with sweet wine is one way to start.

Is Zinfandel a real grape?  I first heard of it 20 years ago as a California wine variety.

Zinfandel is a descendant of a Croatian variety that was imported into the US back in the early days of the wine industry. The same grape was imported into Italy where it is known as primitivo. DNA tests have confirmed that zin and primitivo are from the same stock, as is the Croatian grape.

Quite a distinct flavor. Bright bing cherry, strawberry and red raspberry flavors. A bit of smoke depending on the barrel. Some plum and sometimes raisin undertones. And a characteristic black pepper hit on the finish. Definitely not your average cab.

If all you're after is the health benefits, you don't need to drink wine. You can get a lot of the benefits just by drinking grape juice (REAL juice, not the grape flavored drinks) daily! For the health benefits, cheap is just as healthy as a GOOD wine. Not as enjoyable, but you'e not after enjoyment anyway.

Now - you say it's like drinking cough syrup - and for many wines, that's a fair assessment. However, what that means is you likely haven't tasted a good wine yet. Getting into reds first is a risky proposition - reds are not as friendly and if yu start with the wrong one can make you wonder what all the hoohah is about wine. I'd recommend you start with a light, fruit forward, just off-dry white. If you can find a moscato d'asti (from Italy! Not the schlock pretenders.) or a Vouvray (France), try those first.

Of the reds, the most approachable would be a really soft merlot, or a VERY fruity pinot noir. They won't have aging potential and will be "drink now" wines, but a good intro to reds. Another one to try if you can find it would be a light grenache - a crisp rose from Bandols (France) might do the trick.

thats a good intro to wine agxo...

thanks... :cool:

HEY!!! bods, wassup!!! i'm back posting pero out of site pa rin, hehehe.

basta.... lets drink when I'm there na di matuloy-tuloy. hehehe

anyway, i got friend looking for a sales person for a wine company in MNL. anyone interested who at least knows anything about wine can send me a PM. sorry out of topic ba?

at least half glass...

question peeps...

well, nobody is being forced to take in anything they don't enjoy....forcing yourself into the wine world for all the wrong reasons like wine being a substitute for cough syrup should make one pause and reevaluate what the heck they're spending money for...

as agxo said, there's no difference between a pricey wine and a cheapo...it's the tannins in the red grapes that is supposedly good for the health, so it's really a choice between red and white...

If the medical effect is from the grapes, and has nothing to do with the age of the wine, then the less expensive wines would do.  But of course, the more expensive ones, more often than not, do taste way better.

From what I learned from Keith Floyd (Travel & Living Channel wine nut), certain wines are best consumed at a certain age.  For a red wine like cabernet sauvignon, it's best between 5 to 7 years old.  So if you go to a store and compare prices, when the wine falls into it's "optimum" age, it's at it's most expensive.  So today is 2005, so a 2003 or 2002 would come in at 200-300 a bottle (depending on vineyard), then a 2000 or 1999 of the same wine from the same vineyard would come in at 500 - 600.  And from experience (albeit short), the right age does make a big difference in taste!

Please note that the example above is only for cabernet-sauvignon.  Beaujolais is also a red wine, but matures at a younger age.  Different wines - different characteristics.

you got it right - just enjoy! the heck with rules :P

But you see, it would really be a big help if you have personal favorites in wine - like favorite label, favorite wine area, favorite varietal...vintages sometimes are confusing, mainly due to the lack of info, or if the info is available, you just don't know where to find it - and when you do find it, it's all really subjective - depends on the rater's biases and they do have biases...

Say your personal favorite is an Oregon pinot, or an Aussie shiraz, or a California cab, or an Italian barolo...you tend to buy the same label year in and year out because it's what you enjoy...

Cheers!

Good rules of thumb but not always accurate. Many wines are meant to drink now, and others to age. A DRC (the most expensive Bordeaux producer) will not be ready to drink for 10-15 years, while a wine of the same vintage but from a lesser producer (say, Louis Jadot Bordeaux Villages) may be ready to drink in 5 years or less. I've got drink now cabs, and drink in 15 years cabs. And BTW - even some whites are age-worthy. I have a 2000 chradonnay that I won't touch for another 5 years. And I'm just now drinking my '95 zins. The moral is - know your wines, know your vintages. Usually better to err on the side of drinking earlier rther than later when wine is on the downhill slide to oblivion.

Wines get more expensive as they get older because the wine producer/broker/merchant has had it for a longer period of time, which means his money has not been turning over and earning a return on his investment. Therefore he needs to figure in the cost of carrying the wine in his inventory, which adds to the cost from year to year. Further, the good vintages get rarer as the years go by - people like me buy them and hold them - so the law of supply and demand kicks in. More availability, lower prices. Less availability, higher prices. The moral here is - know your wines, know your vintages, know yor producers, be willing to invest.

All this information, BTW, is available on the Web. The Wine Spectator publishes a wine vintage guide yearly that makes a good starting point for deciding when to drink a wine.

Re: age-worthy whites...I've often wondered it there was some truth to this, and your post made me believe that it happens.....kaya pala pare, I have some 1999 Australian semillons and sauvignon blancs and their tasting notes said they'd be good for at least 5 years...When I tasted them last year, they somehow tasted far-out different and way-much better than any white (or red) that I've had...even those who bought them from me attested to this and they've been pestering me since.....I've stopped selling because I'm keeping the rest :P