Great place for camera and car buffs. I never saw so many marble staircases in my life! Every single run down dilapidated building we went into had this gorgeous grand marble staircase.

Wonderful people, great food, cigars and rum!

You can pick up a visa at the airport in Cancun. When I went last year, I flew first to Cancun then hopped on the plane to Havana. There's a Cuba visa counter at the airport. $25 gets you a tourist visa. You may need to buy medical insurance when you get to Havana and that's $40, I think.

Isn't there a Cuban embassy in Manila? They're starting flights from Miami later this year.

I'm not sure there's a Cuban embassy here. Polish embassy nga wala dito eh. You apply at the Dutch embassy and they send your application to the Polish embassy in Malaysia.

I don't even have a US visa lol. Can the runway in Havana support big planes? Emirates will surely have a flight there because they go anywhere. I don't want to transit through the States. But anyway I've seen pictures of Havana in National Geographic and it really has character. I love old places, and simple folks for photographs.

See you!

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure there's a Cuban embassy here. Polish embassy nga wala dito eh. You apply at the Dutch embassy and they send your application to the Polish embassy in Malaysia.

I don't even have a US visa lol. Can the runway in Havana support big planes? Emirates will surely have a flight there because they go anywhere. I don't want to transit through the States. But anyway I've seen pictures of Havana in National Geographic and it really has character. I love old places, and simple folks for photographs.

See you!

You can go through Mexico or some other South American country. Lots of flights in and out of Havana. Runway supports big planes - we flew in on an Airbus A320 but I saw at least one 747 on the runway.

Most Europeans go to the east coast of Cuba where there are some fancy resorts for tourists. And there's an airport there as well. If Emirates flies to Cuba I would expect them to land there.

I have another friend who's interested in going to Cuba. October or November. I'll check into making arrangements. If you're interested, that will make 4 of us all together. A small group is more manageable. 4 or 5 will be just fine.

Thanks for taking the time with Masi and Storm while I was in Manila. Dinner was great! And the companionship was better.

Thanks, too.

November should be good. Not too hot. And not too hot here upon return. Let's see. I don't know if I can do a solo flight. Havana and adventures like that calls for winging it alone. But I'd like to soak up SOuth America, if that is the halfway point. Uruguay beckons, Buenos Aires calls. Bucket lists all.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of the topic, just a complaint: bought a Fundador Imperial in SM supermarket. when I got home I removed its plastic top cover revealing its cork plug. As usual, I used a regular corkscrewDidn't expect the cork will break into 2, disintegrate, with the lower half dropping inside the liquid. Oh yeah, could it be that all Fundador are being made by Andrew Tan's group now?

Out of the topic, just a complaint: bought a Fundador Imperial in SM supermarket. when I got home I removed its plastic top cover revealing its cork plug. As usual, I used a regular corkscrewDidn't expect the cork will break into 2, disintegrate, with the lower half dropping inside the liquid. Oh yeah, could it be that all Fundador are being made by Andrew Tan's group now?

I'm not sure if it's being made locally now. Yung Emperador pwede pa nilang gawin dito, but not Fundador.

Assuming indeed that they make Fundador here, they cannot make the corks here, and it is the cork that is at issue here. How was the brandy itself? Ooops sorry. I don't think you were able to drink it, with bits ofcork floating around. If, from your experience, the brandy tastes off, then may kalokohan na nga silang ginagawa.

Like when I read that the Andrew Tan group wasbuying off Pedro Domecq and Whyte and Mackey, that sounded a little off. Nowadays, if you have enough money you can buy off anything, even if it will be out of historical context and common sense.

Think of the Indians taking over Land Rover, the Chinese taking over Volvo. A service advisor at Volvo told me of a Chinese buyer who asked if all Volvos are now made in China. Otherwise he won't buy one. Lol!

Sorry that was so off-topic.

OnT: so many new Aussie wines at Rustan's now.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks, too.

November should be good. Not too hot. And not too hot here upon return. Let's see. I don't know if I can do a solo flight. Havana and adventures like that calls for winging it alone. But I'd like to soak up SOuth America, if that is the halfway point. Uruguay beckons, Buenos Aires calls. Bucket lists all.

Bods - I have started planning a Cuba trip for late October. Jumping off point will be Cancun. Estimate right now is about $1500/person Cancun-Cuba-Cancun. Arrival and one day in Havana. Then Trinidad, Remedios, Santa Clara, Cienfuegos - 6 days. Back to HAVANA for a day then return to Canvun.

Cuba tourist cards are available at Cancun airport for $25. No waiting. Cuba is changing day by day, hence not as much time in Havana, and more time in the countryside and smaller cities. We'll stop by a tobacco farm or two and buy some cigars as well. One meal at La Bodeguita Del Medio in Centro in Havana - most likely lunch as dinner is jammed with tourists. Drinks at another Hemingway hangout TBD.

I have a guide who will drive us around and arrange for BnB places for us to stay. Nothing fancy but clean and with running water.

You in? Tick one item off your bucket list!

I'm not sure if it's being made locally now. Yung Emperador pwede pa nilang gawin dito, but not Fundador.

Assuming indeed that they make Fundador here, they cannot make the corks here, and it is the cork that is at issue here. How was the brandy itself? Ooops sorry. I don't think you were able to drink it, with bits ofcork floating around. If, from your experience, the brandy tastes off, then may kalokohan na nga silang ginagawa.

Like when I read that the Andrew Tan group wasbuying off Pedro Domecq and Whyte and Mackey, that sounded a little off. Nowadays, if you have enough money you can buy off anything, even if it will be out of historical context and common sense.

Think of the Indians taking over Land Rover, the Chinese taking over Volvo. A service advisor at Volvo told me of a Chinese buyer who asked if all Volvos are now made in China. Otherwise he won't buy one. Lol!

Sorry that was so off-topic.

OnT: so many new Aussie wines at Rustan's now.

Why can't you drink the Fundador if there's cork floating around? One tip - when a cork breaks (not as unusual as you might think. Cork is a natural product and is highly variable.) or when it's an old wine and I know there will be a lot of sediment, I filter the wine. Pour it through a filter from a coffee maker. Use a disposal paper filter so you don't flavor the wine/liquor with coffee. Works really well.

Bods - I have started planning a Cuba trip for late October. Jumping off point will be Cancun. Estimate right now is about $1500/person Cancun-Cuba-Cancun. Arrival and one day in Havana. Then Trinidad, Remedios, Santa Clara, Cienfuegos - 6 days. Back to HAVANA for a day then return to Canvun.

Cuba tourist cards are available at Cancun airport for $25. No waiting. Cuba is changing day by day, hence not as much time in Havana, and more time in the countryside and smaller cities. We'll stop by a tobacco farm or two and buy some cigars as well. One meal at La Bodeguita Del Medio in Centro in Havana - most likely lunch as dinner is jammed with tourists. Drinks at another Hemingway hangout TBD.

I have a guide who will drive us around and arrange for BnB places for us to stay. Nothing fancy but clean and with running water.

You in? Tick one item off your bucket list!

Mukhang malabo ako talaga sa Cuba na yan. It's one of those impossible places for me now, even South America. Travel time alone to South America is forbidding. I saw one itinerary. Emirates via Dubai, then to any point in S.A. But it's so danged expensive and the whole trip will take almost 24 hours! Also I've never been to the US haha. Well, who knows, one day....

Thanks! I will copy down your itinerary for future reference. Have a great trip!

Why can't you drink the Fundador if there's cork floating around? One tip - when a cork breaks (not as unusual as you might think. Cork is a natural product and is highly variable.) or when it's an old wine and I know there will be a lot of sediment, I filter the wine. Pour it through a filter from a coffee maker. Use a disposal paper filter so you don't flavor the wine/liquor with coffee. Works really well.

Most people, in a fit of pique over the broken cork, often will not have the sense of using a filter. Lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Cabs go well with a mild blue cheese. Or. A good (real French) Brie or a Crottin de chavignol. Or maybe even an aged Gouda.

Don't know much about Aussie wines. With all the local wines here no reason to go far afield excep for some premium Old World wines.[/quote

Funny...you think you know cheese Google it Gouda cheese are like cheedar cheese di yan pang wine look up Swiss gruyere..World known.. matches with white wine..I live in Zurich.. Try Spanish/Argentinien wine has body...Google it for your proper knowledge

Edited by sprensenbuhl
  • 3 weeks later...

What's this thing about sulphites?

I read an article where the author said she felt dizzy after drinking some red wine. A friend of hers told her that it was because of the sulphites in wine. According to this apparently know-it-all friend, South American wines have no sulphites ,and also expensive wines.

I realized I also was not clear about this thing called sulphite. I kept reading it at the back labels of wine: "Contains sulphites", "Warning, contains sulphites", etc.

So I went to a wine store and looked at the Chilean carmeneres, syrahs, cabs and Argentine malbecs. To a bottle, all of them said: "Contains sulphites". On the theory that it could be they are cheap, I looked at some higher-priced South Americans. The same: "Contains sulphites." Hmmm, must be those really expensive boys. I took a look at a bottle that costs P10,000+. The same sulphite warning. Ah! maybe the French don't have it. Looking at the Bordeauxs and Medocs etc, all of them have sulphites. Even the Spanish riojas and tempranillos have them. Old World, New World, all of them. I don't know. I might be wrong.

so what gives? In Tagalog, that friend is "nagdudunung-dunungan".

What's this thing about sulphites?

I read an article where the author said she felt dizzy after drinking some red wine. A friend of hers told her that it was because of the sulphites in wine. According to this apparently know-it-all friend, South American wines have no sulphites ,and also expensive wines.

I realized I also was not clear about this thing called sulphite. I kept reading it at the back labels of wine: "Contains sulphites", "Warning, contains sulphites", etc.

So I went to a wine store and looked at the Chilean carmeneres, syrahs, cabs and Argentine malbecs. To a bottle, all of them said: "Contains sulphites". On the theory that it could be they are cheap, I looked at some higher-priced South Americans. The same: "Contains sulphites." Hmmm, must be those really expensive boys. I took a look at a bottle that costs P10,000+. The same sulphite warning. Ah! maybe the French don't have it. Looking at the Bordeauxs and Medocs etc, all of them have sulphites. Even the Spanish riojas and tempranillos have them. Old World, New World, all of them. I don't know. I might be wrong.

so what gives? In Tagalog, that friend is "nagdudunung-dunungan".

Sulphites or sulfites?

This is interesting.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/sulfite-sensitivity

• Like (+1) 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Masi try Bol's Genever. My boss introduced me to it when we were in Amsterdam and ever since I make sure I have a couple of bottles in my pantry. There is a local store close to my place that somehow carries it everytime I visit them.

If you're in to botanicals Venus Gin Blend No. 2 and st george botanivore gin as well as st george terroir gin. All best on the rocks or just neat.

• Like (+1) 2

Masi try Bol's Genever. My boss introduced me to it when we were in Amsterdam and ever since I make sure I have a couple of bottles in my pantry. There is a local store close to my place that somehow carries it everytime I visit them.

If you're in to botanicals Venus Gin Blend No. 2 and st george botanivore gin as well as st george terroir gin. All best on the rocks or just neat.

Fantastic! This thread is not only for wine enthusiasts but gin lovers too!

I like Tanqueray with martinis.

Gentlemen:

Much as we love our Gins, let's give courtesy to the room owner. It's a wine lovers thread.

Anyway, was in Los Gatos this Saturday and I picked up 5 bottles of 2014 La Encantada Vineyard Pinot Noir from Testarossa Winery. Opened one just this evening and I was getting a lot of pomegranate, cranberry, and vanilla notes. I think it is all over the place and rather sweet though. Another year or two would mellow it.

• Like (+1) 1