Back To The 70's

Yes I remember this.  The Bedan tradition was to square it off "sa likod ng swimming pool".  Got my first black eye at the age of 11. 

Pareng Magaling! Ka alma mater....

Sa grade school ang square namin (in another school) was in the "washroom". Siempre with an audience. Funny thing was, 80% of the time, mag friends na ulit yung nag suntukan immediately after the fight...strange...

Hi Augustmoon...

I finally posted.  What can you say about my bakya? may 70's flavor diba?  :)

Hi to ALL.  Nice thread.

Welcome to the thread. Please join us on my exhibit.

Welcome PromdiQ  :*

Yehey!! Finally... nakisama (nadaan sa sindak  :D ).  Ang ganda ng  avatar, lalo na your signature, mukhang pinag-isipan  :blink:

My friend, this is a 70's thread..so this is your chance to PURGE all you pleasant and not-too-pleasant memories of (y)our youth.  Senior Moments are forgiven.    :D

Storm..PromdiQ is another one of the Diliman Debs you probably ""swung""  (tama ba iyong term?...baka kasi ma misconstrue pag ginamit ko ang swing) with. :D

Looking forward to you posts... :cool:

We'll swing again on the 17th. :D

In our times we call "strutting" in the GAL / WNCAA as flirting so we would be noticed by the cutie boys (then) ...

Can I ask a dumb question? What was "GAL"?

That's so true, kasi madalas tampuhan lang... napupunta sa suntukan.

JT, tingin ko it's a display of relief that you've done what needed to be done. Pag nagka-hamunan ng suntukan, kakahiya if you back down, unless he's the biggest guy in campus :blink:

In Memoriam

For all who care to remember, here is a list of 70s Filipino TV entertainers who passed away.

By Butch Francisco

Archiving is poor in the movies, but worse in television. Copies of some old movies at least still exist. Unfortunately, we can’t say the same for TV. Most of us therefore have forgotten the TV stars of old – especially those who have moved on to the other world ahead of us. Today, let us remember those talented individuals who made significant contributions to television before returning to their Creator.

Lopito – The original male co-host of Tawag ng Tanghalan, he died at the peak of his career in 1966.

Joey Lardizabal – Hosted The Morning Show in ABS-CBN Channel 3 up to the time he died of cancer in 1969.

Chito Feliciano – He pioneered in dance shows via Dancetime With Chito in the early ‘60s on Channel 7. He died in a helicopter crash in the early ‘70s.

Vic Pacia – A mainstay of Oras ng Ligaya, he also dabbled in films as an actor (Sampaguita Pictures). Pacia died in a car crash in 1973 while driving in Laguna.

Eddie Peregrina – A jukebox king, he hosted The Eddie-Nora Show with Nora Aunor on Channel 9 in the late ‘60s.

Ronald Remy – A former Premiere Productions contract star who made a lot of films for international release, he appeared as Rosa Rosal’s husband in ‘Yan ang Misis Ko and later hosted the Sunday noontime game show (Lucky 13 among them) on Channel 13.

Nanding Flores – The original Mr. Baltic when the comic strip Baltic & Co. was made into a series on Channel 7. The show was still at its peak in 1975 when he died. He was replaced by Prospero Luna.

Doro de los Ojos – Known for his dilated eyes that gave him his showbiz screen name, he hosted the early afternoon variety show Everyday Holiday on ABS-CBN up to the late ‘60s. He died in 1981.

Pugo – A veteran of stage shows, he did several successful comedies for LVN before he ventured into television where he starred in Tangtarangtang (which later became Si Tatang Kasi), Wanted: Boarders, Alright, Okay, My Son, My Son and also as replacement of Lopito in Tawag ng Tanghalan. Dolphy so respected Pugo that when the mentor died in 1978, he cut short his US vacation to attend the wake. Dolphy also had Pugo’s coffin replaced with a more expensive one – something more fit for the original King of Comedy, which Pugo was in the ‘50s and ‘60s.

Patsy – She passed on to the other world about half a year after the death of Pugo, who was her Tawag ng Tanghalan co-host and screen husband in Wanted: Boarders and My Son, My Son.

Tony Santos, Sr. – A great character actor from LVN, he directed Oras ng Ligaya and several sitcoms for the old ABS-CBN. He also hosted Mr. Public Service and appeared as Dindo Fernando’s brother in Flordeluna.

Dindo Fernando – A member of Sampaguita’s Star 66, he metamorphosed into a fine actor and leading man on the big screen. On TV, he was best known as Major Leo Alicante, Flordeluna’s father. With Tony Santos, Sr., he also did the Dindo-Tony Show.

Virgilio Garcia – The father of Kristine Garcia, he played sweetheart and later husband to Dulce Lukban in Tindahan sa Nayon.

Teroy de Guzman – A mainstay of Magandang Tanghali, he was also part of the early ‘80s comedy show, Mah-Ta-Tu in the old BBC-2.

Mitos Villarreal – One of the most sought-after TV directors for musicals, dramas (Salamism) and special events, she was also part of the singing trio Lemons Three (along with Nikki Ross and Angie de la Cruz) in Your Evening With Pilita.

Jose Mari Velez – The most popular newscaster during the pre-martial law years (The Big News on Channel 5), he developed a loyal following because of his credibility, excellent delivery of the news and yes, debonair looks.

Tange – An original cast member of Super Laugh-In, he was the funny houseboy in Wanted: Boarders and My Son, My Son.

Rosa Aguirre – A product of stage and the movies, she was Aling Charing in Tangtarangtang.

Apeng Daldal – Famous for his protruding teeth, he was a mainstay of several sitcoms – among them, Tindahan sa Nayon and was part of Super Laugh-In.

Cachupoy – A mainstay of Magandang Tanghali, he also starred in Sa Kabukiran and later in Sitak ni Jack.

Elvira Manahan – A legendary beauty, she hosted Two for the Road, first as a nightly for the pre-martial law ABS-CBN and later as a weekly for GMA-7. As most of us still recall, Ms. Manahan was murdered in her Forbes Park home in October 1986.

Bobby Ledesma – Host and producer of Student Canteen and Discorama.

Jay Ilagan – A matinee idol, he hosted Stop, Look & Listen and starred in My Son, My Son and Goin’ Bananas. He died in a motorcycle accident in 1992.

Ading Fernando – He was the top director of comedy programs until his death in 1984. On screen, he was Daddy Groovy in Duplex.

Chichay – From vaudeville, she did comedies in films but became a big name on TV in The Nida-Nestor Show and other comedy programs. She was also Mrs. Milyonarya.

Julie Vega – A big, big child star, she died of a mysterious ailment at the peak of her career on May 6, 1985 while Anna Liza was still at the top of the ratings chart.

Bentot – The eternal child of Tangtarangtang, he played the Tatang in a failed revival of the series in 1982.

Bayani Casimiro – Noted for his tap dancing, he hosted Tayo’y Mag-Hapi-Hapi with Jean Lopez and was a mainstay of Okay Ka, Fairy Ko until his death.

Leroy Salvador – A fine director and actor on TV and in the movies, he will always be remembered as Badong of Tangtarangtang.

Helen Vela – The queen of Sunday afternoon TV, she was sob sister to everyone in Lovingly Yours. She also hosted Suerte sa Siete and Student Canteen and later became a newscaster. She died on Valentine’s Day of 1992.

Bert Marcelo – A most beloved TV personality, he was Prinsipe Abante and host of the popular talent search Tanghalan ng Kampeon. "Kaka" was also in demand as host of special events like the FAMAS and Urian.

Louie Beltran – A respected print and broadcast journalist, he was the fearless host of the pre-martial law Straight from the Shoulder, which had a successful revival on GMA 7 after EDSA I.

Pancho Magalona – A top leading man, he was also successful on TV as the star of Pancho Loves Tita and as host of Magandang Tanghali.

Charito Solis – The empress of drama on the big screen, she also reigned as queen of TV drama in The Charito Solis Show and Obra Maestra. Later, she dabbled in comedy via Okay Ka, Fairy Ko and 50 Carats.

Panchito – The sidekick of Dolphy, he later also made several TV projects away from the shadow of the King of Comedy.

Eddie Rodriguez – The King of Drama before Christopher de Leon, he had his own drama series on TV: Sanyugto, Quiapo, etc.

Bobby Gonzales – Host of the noontime show Bigay-Hilig, he was also part of The Other Side of Alma on MBS-4.

Maria Teresa Carlson – She may have done only one TV show (Chicks to Chicks), but her "Si Ikaw, si Ako" dialogues will always be remembered by viewers. She leaped to her death on Nov. 18, 2001.

Chuchi – From vaudeville, she moved to TV via Pancho Loves Tita and later Chicks to Chicks.

Rod Navarro – The original king of commercials, he replaced Patsy as host of Tawag ng Tanghalan which later became Tuklas during martial law.

Inday Badiday – We are still mourning the loss of the original Queen of Intrigues. Her show Heart to Heart is still being aired every Sunday on GMA 7.

Nida Blanca – A queen of Philippine movies, she also became the queen of comedy via The Nida-Nestor Show, Wala Kang Paki, John & Marsha, Mana-Mana ‘Yan, etc. It‘s her second death anniversary on Nov. 7.

Some suntukan stories from the 70s (with apologies, ladies).

In our school, there were these two guys who really had bad blood between them. One of them was a son of a military officer. Let’s refer to him as military boy. They had a fight in one establishment close to our school. Natalo si military boy. That fight was witnessed by just a few. Some months later they had another fight, this time right outside the school…and just about everyone was there to watch.

There were the usual fisticuffs, then all of a sudden military boy began swinging a rubber tube. We were all aghast. Dapat kasi, labanang lalake. His opponent managed to avoid being hit, then reached for a stone. Then military boy’s driver came in. He was a sergeant. He gave military boy’s opponent a half-nelson (or is it full-nelson) to prevent the stone from being thrown. The fight was then broken up because a weapon was used.

Military boy’s younger brother also created quite a stir in our school. He was big, really big. He was actually the shotput champion in our school. Yet when he got into some conflict with one of his classmates, he brought in soldiers. The administration could do nothing. Remember, this was martial law. So the soldiers were there to do whatever they intended to do.

Kami naman, wala rin magawa. So sumigaw na lang kami. “Duwag! Duwag!”

Tahimik ang thread, ah!!! :P Pagkakataon ko na to!!!! <_<

Ladies and Gentlemen... Mr. Tom Jones! tantanan tantanan tantanan.... It's not unusual to be loved by anyone.... tununununun ... It's not unusual to have fun with anyone..... :boo:

My, my, my Delilah!!! Oh, why, why why! :boo:

Just help yourself to my lips, to my arms. Just say the words and they are yours! :boo:

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!!! :lol:

Tahimik ang thread, ah!!!  :P Pagkakataon ko na to!!!! <_<

Ladies and Gentlemen... Mr. Tom Jones!  tantanan tantanan tantanan.... It's not unusual to be loved by anyone.... tununununun ... It's not unusual to have fun with anyone..... :boo:

My, my, my Delilah!!! Oh, why, why why! :boo:

Just help yourself to my lips, to my arms. Just say the words and they are yours! :boo:

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!!! :lol:

Go Masi, go...!

Don't forget to wipe your sweaty brow with your handkerchief and toss it to your swooning female audience! :D

The Tom Jones show - another 70's icon!

Ako naman : "Ladies and gentlemen...Miss Shirley Bassey...."

"I love you hate you love you hate you love you 'til the wooooorrrld stops turning.........

...but whaeveRRRR you doooo...I never never never never want to be in love with anyonnnnne but you" !! :boo:

Masi...Slide..Ok ha? nag CONCERT kayo... :D :D :cool:

Boring kasi pag Sabado nights sa mga elderly tulad natin.. :( Remember some few years back..when our Saturday gimmicks would stretch till early Sunday. Ngayon, Saturday IS rest day. The usual Weekened Gimmicks has transformed in "Social Obligations"" ranging from B-day Parties (also of the elderly to commemorate a milestone) to Wakes... we are really getting older... even our Parent's friends have become our friends na rin. :blink:

Did you know that this thread is the most read/viewed in the sub-group?? Bakit kaya? :D

In case you are wondering why I am awake this early on a Sunday..well I am off to my weekend favorite activity... Palengke !!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Good Morning to ALL !!!!

Masi...Slide..Ok ha? nag CONCERT kayo... :D  :D  :cool:

Boring kasi pag Sabado nights sa mga elderly tulad natin.. :(  Remember some few years back..when our  Saturday gimmicks  would stretch till early Sunday.  Ngayon, Saturday IS rest day. The usual Weekened Gimmicks has transformed in "Social Obligations"" ranging from B-day Parties (also of the elderly to commemorate a milestone) to Wakes... we are really getting older...  even our Parent's friends have  become our friends na rin.  :blink: 

Did you know that this thread is the most read/viewed in the sub-group?? Bakit kaya?  :D 

In case you are wondering why I am awake this early on a Sunday..well I am off to my weekend favorite activity... Palengke !!!  :thumbsupsmiley:

Good Morning to ALL !!!!

Wow augustmoon, (wet) marketing major ka pala...joke lang...your post is very funny :D

...just a few more posts and this thread will hit the 100 page mark...congrats to this thread's creator - Storm!

As discussed earlier, I really can't imagine the gimmick hours of the current generation, kita kita at 12 midnight and literally call it a night at daylight...wasak ang body clock ko nun and I'll need days to recover!

As for my favorite Sunday activity - hit the laptop at 6AM and catch up on the previous week's unread e-mails, prepare end of week reports and gather material for the Monday morning staff meeting...I rub my hands in blissful anticipation...! :thumbsdownsmiley:

:D  :D  Good one Liberty!!! :cool: 

In our times we call "strutting" in the GAL / WNCAA as flirting so we would be noticed by the cutie boys (then) ...Now they call it RAMPA and Hala !!!!  with the intent to bring bag one of those cuties...  Its really a generational thing.. :blink:

After all these years, my girl-friends and I (PromdQ should second this  :P ) have realized that it all come down to this...  When you were young sweet thing , you had to PROTECT your REP  :hypocritesmiley: ...but when you get older  you BUILD a REP.  :evil:  :evil: 

Sa guys ba may REP issues din?  Ha? mga  chick-boys?  :boo:

Hi everyone. Pwede na ako mag post ngayon kasi DAY-OFF ko. :D

Augustmoon, ikaw na rin nag banggit ng GAL games........ For the info of everyone, augustmoon was one of our star cheerleaders then. Ganda ng uniform nila, legal na legal mag mini-skirt. :evil: Talo niya si MYSTICA sa pag-split (kaya mo pa kaya ngayon?) :rolleyes: Buti na lang di ka nadiskubre ng mga taga DENR.... if ever, baka nakulong ka sa salang ILLEGAL LOGGING (peace man) :hypocritesmiley:

What do I remember about the 70's? Si Uncle Bob (member ako ng Uncle Bob's Lucky 7 Club), Clubhouse 9 ba yon ni Pepe Pimentel (my cousin was so into it that she forced her mom to bring her to the studio to join the tawa-iyak portion. ayon, natalo), Si Shintaro pag lunch time, Gigantor, yung cartoon sa channel 7 na may sing-a-long (there was a ball na tatalon-talon sa lyrics para tama ang timing mo!), and more.

Siyempre favorite dating place ko noon for the food & the ambience, Italian Village. Sayang, wala na ngayon.... :(

:D  :D  Good one Liberty!!! :cool: 

In our times we call "strutting" in the GAL / WNCAA as flirting so we would be noticed by the cutie boys (then) ...Now they call it RAMPA and Hala !!!!  with the intent to bring bag one of those cuties...  Its really a generational thing.. :blink:

After all these years, my girl-friends and I (PromdQ should second this  :P ) have realized that it all come down to this...  When you were young sweet thing , you had to PROTECT your REP  :hypocritesmiley: ...but when you get older  you BUILD a REP.  :evil:  :evil: 

Sa guys ba may REP issues din?  Ha? mga  chick-boys?  :boo:

Meron din! :evil: :goatee: :hypocritesmiley: :rolleyes:

The smileys say it all.

Malapit nang maging 100 pages. :cool:

Edited by storm
Hi everyone.  Pwede na ako mag post ngayon kasi DAY-OFF ko.  :D

Augustmoon, ikaw na rin nag banggit ng GAL games........ For the info of everyone, augustmoon was one of our star cheerleaders then. Ganda ng uniform nila, legal na legal mag mini-skirt.  :evil:  Talo niya si MYSTICA sa pag-split (kaya mo pa kaya ngayon?) :rolleyes: Buti na lang di ka nadiskubre ng mga taga DENR.... if ever, baka nakulong ka sa salang ILLEGAL LOGGING (peace man)  :hypocritesmiley:

What do I remember about the 70's?  Si Uncle Bob (member ako ng Uncle Bob's Lucky 7 Club), Clubhouse 9 ba yon ni Pepe Pimentel (my cousin was so into it that she forced her mom to bring her to the studio to join the tawa-iyak portion. ayon, natalo), Si Shintaro pag lunch time, Gigantor, yung cartoon sa channel 7 na may sing-a-long (there was a ball na tatalon-talon sa lyrics para tama ang timing mo!), and more.

Siyempre favorite dating place ko noon for the food & the ambience, Italian Village. Sayang, wala na ngayon.... :(

Hi din.

Favorite rin namin ang Italian Village pero mas favorite namin ang Mother's (wala na rin) along EDSA near the Quezon Rotunda. Yes, uso pa noon ang rotunda. Now, Welcome Rotonda na lang ang natira :(

I hope you could also find the time to attend my exhibit.

What do I remember about the 70's?  Si Uncle Bob (member ako ng Uncle Bob's Lucky 7 Club), Clubhouse 9 ba yon ni Pepe Pimentel (my cousin was so into it that she forced her mom to bring her to the studio to join the tawa-iyak portion. ayon, natalo), Si Shintaro pag lunch time, Gigantor, yung cartoon sa channel 7 na may sing-a-long (there was a ball na tatalon-talon sa lyrics para tama ang timing mo!), and more.

Hello promdiqueen...

Shintaro favorite ko yun, with his sidekick Tombe the Mist, tapos maraming klaseng ninja, shadow ninja, iga ninja...tapos sikat na sikat nun yung mga "star-knife"! Alala nyo yung "Magic hands"? Yung dalawang kamay na naka white gloves, tapos mag ma-magic, tapos after teh commercial, ipapakita nya yung secret ng trick!

Hello promdiqueen...

Shintaro favorite ko yun, with his sidekick Tombe the Mist, tapos maraming klaseng ninja, shadow ninja, iga ninja...tapos sikat na sikat nun yung mga "star-knife"! Alala nyo yung "Magic hands"? Yung dalawang kamay na naka white gloves, tapos mag ma-magic, tapos after teh commercial, ipapakita nya yung secret ng trick!

Koichi Ose played Shintaro in the Samurai.

Hi everyone.  Pwede na ako mag post ngayon kasi DAY-OFF ko.  :D

Augustmoon, ikaw na rin nag banggit ng GAL games........ For the info of everyone, augustmoon was one of our star cheerleaders then. Ganda ng uniform nila, legal na legal mag mini-skirt.  :evil:  Talo niya si MYSTICA sa pag-split (kaya mo pa kaya ngayon?) :rolleyes: Buti na lang di ka nadiskubre ng mga taga DENR.... if ever, baka nakulong ka sa salang ILLEGAL LOGGING (peace man)  :hypocritesmiley:

Hi PromdiQ...enjoy ka ba sa day-off mo ? dami ba tao sa BaywalK ?? :P

Ibinaon ko na sa baul ng limot ang mga masasayang araw ko bilang cheerdancer. Pag ibinibida ko nga sa mga anak ko that I WAS once in the center court when we watch the UAAP games AYAW nila maniwala.. :blink: ...and to relive the glory days.., I still do the split on special ocassions and upon request :D :D :boo: I must correct you though,..they were not LOGS...they were CANKLESPromdiQ (Calf and Ankles) :thumbsupsmiley:

Remember ko din iyang Italian Village. Ang dami naming LIBREng kain diyan... as date or as chaperone.

Ang Mortal enemies ni Shintaro ay iyong mga KOGA Ninjas. Sino nga ba iyong batang paslit alaga ni Shintaro?? Parang anak yata iyon ng master niya diba?

Hi to ALL.

Hi PromdiQ...enjoy ka ba sa day-off mo ? dami ba tao sa BaywalK ??  :P

Ibinaon ko na sa baul ng limot ang mga masasayang araw ko bilang cheerdancer.  Pag ibinibida ko nga sa mga anak ko that I WAS once in the center court  when we watch the UAAP games AYAW nila maniwala.. :blink: ...and to relive the glory days..,  I still do the split on special ocassions and upon request  :D  :D  :boo:  I must correct you though,..they were not LOGS...they were CANKLESPromdiQ (Calf and Ankles) :thumbsupsmiley:

Remember ko din iyang Italian Village.  Ang dami naming LIBREng kain diyan... as date or as chaperone.

Ang Mortal enemies ni Shintaro ay iyong mga KOGA Ninjas.  Sino nga ba iyong batang paslit alaga ni Shintaro?? Parang anak yata iyon ng master niya diba?

Hi to ALL.

So pwede pala lifting sa iyo sa swing!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Parang chusakoo yata...nasa dulo ng dila ko...

Haay time to kiss this wonderful weekend goodbye...

Mukhang napagod si TOM JONES ah...d na nagpadinig after nung concert nya..

Speaking of Tom Jones, the last song of his gave birth to the SEX BOMB dancers.

Noong early 70s dumudugo ang ears ko sa mga songs nitong mga grupong ito

The Doors with Jim Morrison who died in 1971.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

Simon and Garfunkel

The Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Deep Purple

Chicago

Favorite ng mga pinsan ko.

Mga natatandaan ko sa The Doors ay

Light My Fire

You know that it would be untrue

You know that I would be a liar

If I was to say to you

Girl, we couldn't get much higher

Come on baby, light my fire

Try to set the night on fire

The time to hesitate is through

No time to wallow in the mire

Try now we can only lose

And our love become a funeral pyre

Try to set the night on fire, yeah

The time to hesitate is through

No time to wallow in the mire

Try now we can only lose

And our love become a funeral pyre

You know that it would be untrue

You know that I would be a liar

If I was to say to you

Girl, we couldn't get much higher

although 1967 pa ito.

That's so true, kasi madalas tampuhan lang... napupunta sa suntukan.

Kadalasan, nagsisimula sa tuksuhan. Tapos, yung mga miron will say stuff like "Sige nga, kung matapang ka, hawakan mo nga sa tenga!". If either kid actually gets prodded to hold the other's ear, ayan na. Mauuwi na sa suntukan. Pag hindi naghawakan sa tenga, yung mga miron will say stuff like "Duwag ka naman pala eh!". Come to think of it, it really was a no-win situation....

Boring kasi pag Sabado nights sa mga elderly tulad natin.. :(  Remember some few years back..when our  Saturday gimmicks  would stretch till early Sunday.  Ngayon, Saturday IS rest day. The usual Weekened Gimmicks has transformed in "Social Obligations"" ranging from B-day Parties (also of the elderly to commemorate a milestone) to Wakes... we are really getting older...  even our Parent's friends have  become our friends na rin.  :blink: 

There was a time when Friday pa lang, may party na. Tapos, Sabado, ibang party naman. When we learned how to drive and became mobile, my barkada got invited to so many parties that sometimes, we'd be hopping from one party to another on the same night! Pag walang aksyon dito, doon naman kami. B) My mom got so pissed that I'm out of the house all the time... :huh:

These days, weekends are for running errands. Kulang pa nga kung minsan. In the service of the family... :huh:

Sabi nila, for men ( with due apologies to the women here), the first half of your life is ruined by your mother, the next half is ruined by your wife. I'm not saying this is true hah! (Defensive :blush: kaagad) Sabi lang nila . . . :)

Peace to the ladies! :)