Back To The 70's

Mahal na kasi bayad sa artista ngayon. Imagine

shelling out approx $ 20M for just one superstar.

Another great scene in A Bridge Too Far: This British officer

with an umbrella peeking over the apex of this bridge

to see if more Germans were coming.

Inching ever closer and closer...

If I remember correctly, that British officer actually marched on the bridge and even demanded that the Germans surrender. When it was the British who actually surrendered (what a great battle that was!!), a German officer offered some chocolate to Anthony Hopkins, who wouldn't take it. The German officer said, in effect, "It's OK. We got this from you."

If I may add (sorry, sorry)...

One thing that struck me about "A Bridge Too Far" is that it was one of those few films that featured a loss by the Allies in WWII. Other films featured losses, but they were mostly "mission films" such as "Operation Daybreak" or perhaps "heroic" films meant to honor a failed defense. But "A Bridge Too Far" was an invasion film. I remember going to a theatre to watch "A Bridge Too Far," expecting something like "The Longest Day," only to see the Allies get their asses kicked. Imagine Sean Connery retreating.

If I remember correctly, that British officer actually marched on the bridge and even demanded that the Germans surrender.  When it was the British who actually surrendered (what a great battle that was!!), a German officer offered some chocolate to Anthony Hopkins, who wouldn't take it.  The German officer said, in effect, "It's OK.  We got this from you."

Yup, Maximilian Schell was the German officer.

Wow, I just gotta find a copy of this movie. Have been nostalgic

for these old wwii movies.

In fact, just got me a copy of 'The Eagle Has Landed.'

A trim and fit Michael Caine as a maverick German colonel tasked

with assassinating Churchill. Robert Duvall supports as his senior officer.

That film also featured an incompetent American officer played by Larry Hagman ("I Dream of Jeanie" "Dallas"). I loved that film, too. Remember how the Germans got "buking" because one of them saved a child in the English village? Aside from Michael Caine and Robert Duvall, it featured Donald Sutherland, Jenny Aguther ("Logan's Run"), and this Treat guy (can't remember his name). I'm not quite sure, but I believe Donald Pleasance was also in this film; he played the role of Himler.

Edited by jt2003
That film also featured an incompetent American officer played by Larry Hagman ("I Dream of Jeanie" "Dallas").  I loved that film, too.  Remember how the Germans got "buking" because one of them saved a child in the English village?  Aside from Michael Caine and Robert Duvall, it featured Donald Sutherland, Jenny Aguther ("Logan's Run"), and this Treat guy (can't remember his name).  I'm not quite sure, but I believe Donald Pleasance was also in this film; he played the role of Himler.

could that be Treat Williams, the guy in Hair, and Things To do in Denver When You're Dead? :P

speaking of bridges, does anybody remember that "bridge" film The Bridge at Remagen? The cast was not that "all-star" (George Segal, Robert Vaughn, Ben Gazzara) but as with all war movies with Germans in it, I just loved it! It tells of an American mission in the last days of the war to capture the last remaining bridge across the Rhine before the Germans could blow it up - which if they (the Germans) do would trap their own troops behind enemy lines!

speaking of all-star war films, I remember watching The Battle of Britain and although it had mostly a British cast, it was all-star nevertheless. Michael Caine, Laurence Olivier, Trevor Howard, Kenneth More, Christopher Plummer, Michael Redgrave, Susannah York, Robert Shaw, Ralph Richardson, Harry Andrews and of course that eternal German - Curt Jurgens....It told about the battle for supremacy over British skies. Lots of dogfights and air raids....

also talking about dog fights, I still remember The Blue Max, with George Peppard in the title role of a German fighter pilot in the First World War. The Blue Max is the highest honor Germany can bestow on its war heroes and Peppard, fighting through humble origins, becomes such a ruthless fighter in his pursuit of the medal. I think it had a sad ending as Peppard lost his life flying a new and untried plane.

It also starred the mercurial James Mason and the ever-stunning Ursula Andress (was this before her James Bond movie?).

Yup, Maximilian Schell was the German officer.

Wow, I just gotta find a copy of this movie. Have been nostalgic

for these old wwii movies.

Is Maximilian Schell still alive?

Now that I've got a working DVD player ( :lol: ), I might as well add Judgment at Nuremberg among the titles I would hunt for...

I clearly remember Schell in Krakatoa, East of Java - one of the early disaster films. Thinking of it now brings back memories of that tsunami...

Since we're on the topic of war movies, what about that parody

on the Cold War mania of the '50's? Dr. Strangelove. This

b-52 pilot tried to manually release the H-bomb, sat on top of it,

in the process riding it cowboy-style as it dropped toward its

destination. Kept shrieking Heeehah! and waving his cowboy hat all the way down.

Sorry ha, but 70's pa ba ito? Black and white kasi eh, although

i'm sure the choice of film stock was more in keeping in tune with

the 50's motif.

Is Maximilian Schell still alive?

Now that I've got a working DVD player ( :lol: ), I might as well add Judgment at Nuremberg among the titles I would hunt for...

I clearly remember Schell in Krakatoa, East of Java - one of the early disaster films. Thinking of it now brings back memories of that tsunami...

Also have no idea kung buhay pa. If I remember right he

always played some cold, stoic, anti-hero.

Since we're on the topic of war movies, what about that parody

on the Cold War mania of the '50's? Dr. Strangelove. This

b-52 pilot tried to manually release the H-bomb, sat on top of it,

in the process riding it cowboy-style as it dropped toward its

destination. Kept shrieking Heeehah! and waving his cowboy hat all the way down.

Sorry ha, but 70's pa ba ito? Black and white kasi eh, although

i'm sure the choice of film stock was more in keeping in tune with

the 50's motif.

i think it's 70's. Style lang siguro ng director kung bakit ito b&w, the director being the great Stanley Kubrick (Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Oddysey). It was one of the great Peter Sellers movies.

come to think of it - yun palang mga films na mention ko - Blue Max, Bridge at Remagen, Battle of Britain, Krakatoa - 60's pa pala kaya OT ako, pareng storm! :lol:

still on war movies :lol:

I loved those WW2 films that took place in the North African desert, particularly involving Field Marshal Erwin Rommel and his Afrika Korps. Two movies I remember seeing:

Tobruk - with Rock Hudson. Can't exactly remember the story now but it had something to do with a mission to blow up the fuel supply port in Tobruk.

The Battle of El Alamein - this was quite a blockbuster when it was shown here. Frederick Stafford played the lead although I can't recall who played the roles of Rommel and Bernard Law Montgomery.

Lots of great battle scenes involving tanks in the desert.

Of course there was the old TV show The Rat Patrol where Christopher George and his men with machineguns loaded on jeeps were forever chasing around Germans in the African desert. :P

One of the stars in "The Rat Patrol" was Gary Raymond, who also played the villain in that wonderful film "Jason and the Argonauts" (aka "The Golden Fleece"). "The Rat Patrol" also starred this handsome European (the German officer) who later became a regular in "The Young and the Restless."

I really loved those 70s (and 60s) war/mission movies. To me, the best were The Wild Geese, Operation Daybreak (with Timothy Bottoms and this fellow from "The Professionals"), A Bridge Too Far, The Eagle has Landed, and others that my withered mind can't recall at the moment. Put in The Guns of Navarone as well (not 70s, but what the heck).

Speaking of "Operation Daybreak," it was based on an actual British mission (using Czechs) to assassinate the "butcher of Prague." The same "butcher of Prague" was played many years later by Shakespearean actor/director Kenneth Branagh in the HBO production "Conspiracy." As a spoiler (sorry, folks, but this is an old film anyway), "Operation Daybreak" ended with Timothy Bottoms and his friend shooting each other in the head as the Germans were flooding the basement.

I never cared much for the 80s, 90s, and later war films because they came across too much as propaganda (eg. Delta Force, Rambo, Missing in Action, etc).

Another all star war movie in the 60's and 70's was " Battle of Midway" which had Charlton Heston, Robert Mitchum, Henry Ford, Robert Wagner and a few others.

Further on, how can anyone forget the DIRTY DOZEN??? heheh!

We can also add "Magnificent 7" -- although it was not a war movie, it certainly was memorable.

One of the stars in "The Rat Patrol" was Gary Raymond, who also played the villain in that wonderful film "Jason and the Argonauts" (aka "The Golden Fleece").  "The Rat Patrol" also starred this handsome European (the German officer) who later became a regular in "The Young and the Restless."

I really loved those 70s (and 60s) war/mission movies.  To me, the best were The Wild Geese, Operation Daybreak (with Timothy Bottoms and this fellow from "The Professionals"), A Bridge Too Far, The Eagle has Landed, and others that my withered mind can't recall at the moment.  Put in The Guns of Navarone as well (not 70s, but what the heck).

Speaking of "Operation Daybreak," it was based on an actual British mission (using Czechs) to assassinate the "butcher of Prague."  The same "butcher of Prague" was played many years later by Shakespearean actor/director Kenneth Branagh in the HBO production "Conspiracy."  As a spoiler (sorry, folks, but this is an old film anyway), "Operation Daybreak" ended with Timothy Bottoms and his friend shooting each other in the head as the Germans were flooding the basement. 

I never cared much for the 80s, 90s, and later war films because they came across too much as propaganda (eg. Delta Force, Rambo, Missing in Action, etc).

I remember " The Rat Patrol " on tv. This bunch of americans on willy's jeeps

with mounted .50 cal machine guns fighting off hordes of tigers and panzers.

Ok if I may add some war movies that I had seen when I was young (kunsabagay young pa rin naman hanggang ngayon, siguro?):

Battle of the Bulge

Raid on Rommel

Patton

Tora, Tora, Tora

MacArthur

Ito 60s pero WW2 movie pa rin na musical naman

tutal walang OT rito:

South Pacific

Just a few comments regarding your list, pareng Storm.

I was fortunate enough to watch the premiere of "MacArthur" (just can't remember the theater). The thing is, not a single scene in that film was shot in our lovely PI. If I remember the reports correctly, most of the Philippine scenes, including the beach scene, were shot in California.

I loved "Tora, Tora, Tora" because it was probably the first Hollywood-produced WWII film that presented the Japanese as people. I remember that Japanese naval officer (Toshiro Mifune perhaps?) saying sadly, "We may have awakened a sleeping dragon." Many of the scenes in that film were later used over and over in mini-series that had the attack on Pearl Harbor as the setting.

I believe that "Tora, Tora, Tora" also featured that Japanese-American actor who later became Jack Klugman's sidekick in "Quincy, MD."

Another all star war movie in the 60's and 70's was " Battle of Midway" which had Charlton Heston, Robert Mitchum, Henry Ford, Robert Wagner and a few others.

Further on, how can anyone forget the DIRTY DOZEN??? heheh!

We can also add "Magnificent 7" -- although it was not a war movie, it certainly was memorable.

Pareng 16strack, it was Glen Ford. Your mind must have been on cars when you made that post. That film also starred Henry Fonda as Admiral Nimitz, who asked toward the end of the film, "Were we that good or were we just lucky?"

"Battle of Midway" was THE film that made aircraft carriers popular among the common folk. The battle itself was perhaps also the reason aircraft carriers were redesigned to have two runways. The film itself didn't show how the planes of one Japanese carrier couldn't land because another squadron had to take off. That left them vulnerable. From what I've read, that was one of the tipping points in the battle.

What was great about the film was that it showed actual scenes. I remember Monte Markham ("The New Perry Mason" who also played the 7-million dollar man who clashed with Steve Austin) diving that plane toward a Japanese carrier and drilling it with all that ammo.

Edited by jt2003

Heheh!

You are right bro!

I was thinking cars for the last few weeks and the last shop I went to was FOrd in Libis--trying to check out the Escape. Heheh!

The 7 Million dollar man fought the 6 million dollar man on tv and I could not get off my seat. The 7 million dollar man got the 2 bionic arms from Oscar Goldman as compared to Steve's one arm.

Thanks!

Pareng 16strack, it was Glen Ford.  Your mind must have been on cars when you made that post.  That film also starred Henry Fonda as Admiral Nimitz, who asked toward the end of the film, "Were we that good or were we just lucky?"

"Battle of Midway" was THE film that made aircraft carriers popular among the common folk.  The battle itself was perhaps also the reason aircraft carriers were redesigned to have two runways.  The film itself didn't show how the planes of one Japanese carrier couldn't land because another squadron had to take off.  That left them vulnerable.  From what I've read, that was one of the tipping points in the battle.

What was great about the film was that it showed actual scenes.  I remember Monte Markham ("The New Perry Mason" who also played the 7-million dollar man who clashed with Steve Austin) diving that plane toward a Japanese carrier and drilling it with all that ammo.

"Battle of Midway" was THE film that made aircraft carriers popular among the common folk.  The battle itself was perhaps also the reason aircraft carriers were redesigned to have two runways.  The film itself didn't show how the planes of one Japanese carrier couldn't land because another squadron had to take off.  That left them vulnerable.  From what I've read, that was one of the tipping points in the battle.

My apologies for quoting myself. I just remembered that the Japanese officers in that aircraft carrier decided that they should let the planes on the air land since they were running out of fuel. That meant that the carrier had no air cover, since no other planes could take off. Then came the yanks. The rest is history.

That wasn't shown in the film.

One of the stars in "The Rat Patrol" was Gary Raymond, who also played the villain in that wonderful film "Jason and the Argonauts" (aka "The Golden Fleece").  "The Rat Patrol" also starred this handsome European (the German officer) who later became a regular in "The Young and the Restless."

I really loved those 70s (and 60s) war/mission movies.  To me, the best were The Wild Geese, Operation Daybreak (with Timothy Bottoms and this fellow from "The Professionals"), A Bridge Too Far, The Eagle has Landed, and others that my withered mind can't recall at the moment.  Put in The Guns of Navarone as well (not 70s, but what the heck).

Speaking of "Operation Daybreak," it was based on an actual British mission (using Czechs) to assassinate the "butcher of Prague."  The same "butcher of Prague" was played many years later by Shakespearean actor/director Kenneth Branagh in the HBO production "Conspiracy."  As a spoiler (sorry, folks, but this is an old film anyway), "Operation Daybreak" ended with Timothy Bottoms and his friend shooting each other in the head as the Germans were flooding the basement. 

yeah pare I saw Operation Daybreak in the 70's and it was really heartbreaking - much like Von Ryan's Express with the last scene showing Frank Sinatra chasing futilely at their train with the Germans shooting at his back. While his compatriots made it to the train, Frank did not.

so many memorable war movies then....I can also recall Where Eagles Dare, with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood; Castle Keep with Burt Lancaster....

A Bridge Too Far and The Longest Day were based on books by Cornelius Ryan. These were serialized in the Condensed Books Section of Reader's Digest way back then and I remember eagerly awaiting each monthly issue of RD in anticipation of the next installment. The books were quite lengthy so it had to be in installments...Those were the days...

Battle of Midway - in full "sensurround." Which meant speakers

blaring at full. This would cause your seat to shake.

Saw it at Quezon in Cubao.

pards do you also remember that other film in sensurround - ROLLERCOASTER - a thriller starring George Segal? Your seats were pounding and shaking and it was as if you were riding the rollercoaster itself.....it gave me quite a thrill back in my teens hehehe

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/iomega0002/bruce.jpg

Bruce Lee in 'Enter the Dragon' 1973

:headsetsmiley: pareng bods1000 and pareng jt2003 and pareng sallybognamathay, hindi ko kayo nakikita sa aking Pinoy Bisccuits board

si pareng storm at si blackmamba (aka diabolix) lang ang nakakasama ko sa Pinoy Biscuits

heto website address uli ==> http://s9.invisionfree.com/Pinoy_Biscuits

hope to see you all there, maraming topic dun na kakaiba dito sa mtc ;) hope to see you all there