Back To The 70's

Mga pareng Bods, Storm, SBM, 16track, Magaling, and the rest of the friends on this thread (and the 36+ group as well), I'm not quite up to an EB these days.  Personal circumstances.  Maybe some time later where I'm concerned.

we understand, pare....

it's more than enough that we see each other on these pages.

I'm getting busy too, so it's a shot-in-the-dark that I will be attending any EB.

Speaking of Shot in the Dark, I wonder how Steve Martin will fare as the new Inspector Closeau. I don't think at this point in time that anybody can approach the comedic genius of Peter Sellers. That Roberto Benigni remake was a total farce and a complete disaster. I think they better not tamper with the Pink Panther franchise anymore.

Speaking of Shot in the Dark, I wonder how Steve Martin will fare as the new Inspector Closeau. I don't think at this point in time that anybody can approach the comedic genius of Peter Sellers. That Roberto Benigni remake was a total farce and a complete disaster. I think they better not tamper with the Pink Panther franchise anymore.

"A Shot in the Dark" with Steve Martin? When did this happen? One of the funniest moments of "A Shot in the Dark" was when Peter Sellers and Elke Sommer (damn, she was pretty) were caught naked in a car, and they kept screaming. Of course (as always), there was Herbert Lom wishing to murder Closeau, if he only could.

"A Shot in the Dark" with Steve Martin?  When did this happen?  One of the funniest moments of "A Shot in the Dark" was when Peter Sellers and Elke Sommer (damn, she was pretty) were caught naked in a car, and they kept screaming.  Of course (as always), there was Herbert Lom wishing to murder Closeau, if he only could.

no I was just referring to the Pink Panther franchise.

There is actually a forthcoming Pink Panther film with Steve Martin as the new Closeau and Kevin Kline as Chief Inspector Dreyfuss. They say it's a prequel. Should be interesting, pare.

Master Bods... now you are THE 70's Cineaste with all your info and digs on the movies of that time..Borrowing from our wine savvy / vip room colleague spongebobby : you once again took this forum to the next level.

What is it that you do not know? :-)

it just shows my age and it just reveals my persona as a denizen of dark moviehouses....

jt sure knows more than I do and it is his lead I take in taking this thread into, as you say, "the next level"....the only levels I know are loge, orchestra and balcony :D

it just shows my age and it just reveals my persona as a denizen of dark moviehouses....

jt sure knows more than I do and it is his lead I take in taking this thread into, as you say, "the next level"....the only levels I know are loge, orchestra and balcony :D

I do have my own 70's moviehouse memories...DELTA Theater (my favorite) which was a 1.50 jeepney ride THEN away from UP... eatingat JACK's Resto beside it ...for those in the know, has the best hamburgers.

I also had my first french kiss in the LOGE area of Delta in a JAWS movie. :-)

Ay naku!!! happy days sana may time warp.

I never quite liked Delta Theatre. The air-conditioning was bad, and there was something about the seats that was rather uncomfortable. But yes, yes, right beside Delta was a Jack's branch. My parents and I used to eat there after watching a movie at Delta. Many of their waiters were rather effeminate, many of them with a kembot (we actually wondered if it was a policy), and there was always someone playing tunes on a Yamaha organ, which we could perhaps says was the precurser of the synthesizer. On one occasion, my father ordered a screwdriver. The waiter said he couldn't serve it. "Liquor ban po." Remember all those plebiscites during martial law?

There was also a Jack's restaurant at the corner of EDSA and P. Tuazon in Cubao. But my earliest memories of Jack's was the orig in Caloocan. It even had a television, which at the time wasn't quite standard fare in restaurants.

Close to Delta was Circle, where I watched "The Towering Inferno" and "The Return of the Jedi" along with a lot of other films I can't recall. The seating was more comfortable there. Like Delta, Circle is gone (I mean the theatre, not the building). It's sad how many theatres in the Quezon City area have gone or gone astray. Even my favorites from the 70s, such as Remar, Coronet, and Quezon, are in such bad shape, both physically and figuratively.

I do have my own 70's moviehouse memories...DELTA Theater (my favorite) which was a 1.50 jeepney ride  THEN away from UP... eatingat JACK's Resto beside it ...for those in the know, has the best hamburgers.

I also had my first french kiss in the LOGE area of Delta  in a JAWS movie. :-)

Ay naku!!! happy days sana may time warp.

inabot mo pa yung Delta?! :P Well yes nung araw nga ganun lang ang pamasahe galing UP papunta dun. Ako naman sa Cubao nagsisine galing UP - New Frontier, Nation, Remar, Coronet.....

grabe ka nagawa nyo pang mag-frenchie-frenchie sa Jaws! It could be that the yawning jaws of the great white gave your partner the idea to get it on. :evil:

sana nga may Time Machine mabalik man lang tayo kahit isang linggo dun sa 70's :goatee:

Speaking of Jack's resto:

The sons of the owners were my classmates in Notre Dame. We used to hold our class parties there in Jack's Caloocan. One of the owners used to own the Mothers Restaurant in Edsa beside Merced.

Yes, Jack's hamburger was the best!

inabot mo pa yung Delta?! :P Well yes nung araw nga ganun lang ang pamasahe galing UP papunta dun. Ako naman sa Cubao nagsisine galing UP - New Frontier, Nation, Remar, Coronet.....

grabe ka nagawa nyo pang mag-frenchie-frenchie sa Jaws! It could be that the yawning jaws of the great white gave your partner the idea to get it on. :evil:

sana nga may Time Machine mabalik man lang tayo kahit isang linggo dun sa 70's :goatee:

Don't forget the Quezon theaters. Dinagdagan ng Quezon 2.

May katabi pang Fun Center yun dati.

The precursor of the video arcades na pinasara rin ni Marcos.

Tapos everyone transferred to Ali Mall kaya naglaho na

yung appeal nung mga theaters along Aurora blvd.

Those theatres along Aurora Blvd. were among the best in Metro Manila (or should I say the Greater Manila Area?) during the 1970s. They were better than Recto or Quad or wherever. The first film I watched at Coronet Theatre was "The Light at the Edge of the World" with Kirk Douglas. Remar was where I watched re-releases of the Sean Connery Bond films such as "Thunderball" and "Diamonds are Forever." I even watched a film or two at the now rather infamous Alta Theatre.

There was also Cinema 21 at the Araneta center side of Cubao. The first movie I watched there was "The Doberman Gang." Of course, we all know New Frontier, where I watched "Willard" and "Ben," as well as the premiere of "The Man with the Golden Gun." Close to New Frontier was Nation. A man-made lake now stands there.

Quezon was where I watched the last two films of the "Planet of the Apes" series ("Conquest" and "Battle"). Right next door to Quezon was/is Sampaguita. That was where I watched "The Game of Death" with Ramon Zamora and Panchito (an imitation of "Enter the Dragon").

Yo JT!

My favorite theatres then were New Frontier, the Diamond and the Quezon.

If my father was in the mood, then it was off to Rizal Theatre.

I Can't forget the New Frontier theatre as it had that small ice cream Window right beside the Ticket booth--where you can buy an ice cream cone dipped in hot chocolate.

Any one here remember the series of horror movies that pervaded the cinemas at that era?

1. The House of Dark Shadows -- first horror film I saw.

2. Dracula - Christopher Lee

Those theatres along Aurora Blvd. were among the best in Metro Manila (or should I say the Greater Manila Area?) during the 1970s.  They were better than Recto or Quad or wherever.  The first film I watched at Coronet Theatre was "The Light at the Edge of the World" with Kirk Douglas.  Remar was where I watched re-releases of the Sean Connery Bond films such as "Thunderball" and "Diamonds are Forever."  I even watched a film or two at the now rather infamous Alta Theatre.

There was also Cinema 21 at the Araneta center side of Cubao.  The first movie I watched there was "The Doberman Gang."  Of course, we all know New Frontier, where I watched "Willard" and "Ben," as well as the premiere of "The Man with the Golden Gun."  Close to New Frontier was Nation.    A man-made lake now stands there.

Quezon was where I watched the last two films of the "Planet of the Apes" series ("Conquest" and "Battle").  Right next door to Quezon was/is Sampaguita.  That was where I watched "The Game of Death" with Ramon Zamora and Panchito (an imitation of "Enter the Dragon").

Don't forget the Quezon theaters. Dinagdagan ng Quezon 2.

May katabi pang Fun Center yun dati.

The precursor of the video arcades na pinasara rin ni Marcos.

Tapos everyone transferred to Ali Mall kaya naglaho na

yung appeal nung mga theaters along Aurora blvd.

of course who can forget Quezon Theater. Nung araw hindi pa masyadong delikado maglakad dyan sa Cubao pero ngayon parang nerbyos na akong maglakad dun. Of course there's the new Gateway and I haven't been to Cubao in ages pero dun ako naloko sa Aurora dati. Bumili ako ng prutas sa sidewalk na-wantutri ako nung tindero sabi hindi pa daw ako nag-aabot ng bayad :grr:

Tapos yung mga nagpapalaro ng chess sa ilalim ng overpass nakakatakot pumusta dahil alam mo na purong alipores nila yung mga kumwari mga miron. :P

Those theatres along Aurora Blvd. were among the best in Metro Manila (or should I say the Greater Manila Area?) during the 1970s.  They were better than Recto or Quad or wherever.  The first film I watched at Coronet Theatre was "The Light at the Edge of the World" with Kirk Douglas.  Remar was where I watched re-releases of the Sean Connery Bond films such as "Thunderball" and "Diamonds are Forever."  I even watched a film or two at the now rather infamous Alta Theatre.

There was also Cinema 21 at the Araneta center side of Cubao.  The first movie I watched there was "The Doberman Gang."  Of course, we all know New Frontier, where I watched "Willard" and "Ben," as well as the premiere of "The Man with the Golden Gun."  Close to New Frontier was Nation.    A man-made lake now stands there.

Quezon was where I watched the last two films of the "Planet of the Apes" series ("Conquest" and "Battle").  Right next door to Quezon was/is Sampaguita.  That was where I watched "The Game of Death" with Ramon Zamora and Panchito (an imitation of "Enter the Dragon").

grabe ang memory mo pare. I can't recall what movie I saw in what theater basta dun ko napanuod yung mga Shalako ni Sean Connery, ONce Upon A Time in the West, yung Battle of the Bulge, Longest Day, Dog Day Afternoon....yung Godfather sa New Frontier hindi namin napanuod kasi hindi kami pinapasok For Adults lang :lol:

of course who can forget Quezon Theater. Nung araw hindi pa masyadong delikado maglakad dyan sa Cubao pero ngayon parang nerbyos na akong maglakad dun. Of course there's the new Gateway and I haven't been to Cubao in ages pero dun ako naloko sa Aurora dati. Bumili ako ng prutas sa sidewalk na-wantutri ako nung tindero sabi hindi pa daw ako nag-aabot ng bayad :grr:

Tapos yung mga nagpapalaro ng chess sa ilalim ng overpass nakakatakot pumusta dahil alam mo na purong alipores nila yung mga kumwari mga miron. :P

grabe ang memory mo pare. I can't recall what movie I saw in what theater basta dun ko napanuod yung mga Shalako ni Sean Connery, ONce Upon A Time in the West, yung Battle of the Bulge, Longest Day, Dog Day Afternoon....yung Godfather sa New Frontier hindi namin napanuod kasi hindi kami pinapasok For Adults lang :lol:

Speaking of The Longest Day, anyone know where i can get

a copy of this movie? Have been looking for it for the

longest time.

I havent been to Cubao in ages.

Meron pa bang New Frontier Theater?

New Frontier has been closed for years now. For a while the theatre lobby became a tianggehan. Now it's really closed.

As for "A Bridge Too Far," I also loved that "Hail Mary" scene with Robert Redford. But the best portion in the film involved the British troops led by Anthony Hopkins that failed to secure a particular bridge.

If I may expand a bit on "A Bridge Too Far" and similar films ...

The 1970s really had a lot of those "all-star cast" films such as "A Bridge Too Far." That film had Anthony Hopkins, Sean Connery, Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, Laurence Olivier, Liv Ulmann, Edward Fox, Michael Caine, Ryan O'Neal, Maximilian Schell, etc.

There was also "The Towering Inferno" with Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, Faye Dunaway, Richard Chamberlain, Susan Blakely, Robert Vaughn, Fred Astaire, William Holden, etc.

Then think of "Earthquake" with Charlton Heston, Ava Garner, Lorne Greene, Genevieve Bujold, Richard Roundtree (the original shaft), a still unknown Victoria Principal, and even Walter Matthau (credited with his real name) having a drink while the Earth was shaking.

They don't make "all-star cast" films anymore.