Back To The 70's

Marty Feldman was that forever-sidekick guy. The poor guy died quite early.

Of all those early Saturday Night comics, Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray are also still active, although to a lesser extent now.

Speaking of Bill Murray, he became (or has become) a victim of his own success. Have any of you guys seen W. Somerset Maugham's "The Razor's Edge" that starred Bill Murray? He had that famous poker face all throughout the film, so much so that you kept waiting for the punchline that never came. Even when he became "dramatic" in the film, you still found yourself waiting for the punchline. It was the same thing with "Lost in Translation." Bill Murray's poker face practically says that "Hey, something's coming." When it doesn't come, you're kind of disappointed.

I think that bored, poker face was quite made to order for his character in Lost in Translation - that of a bored middle-aged guy not quite sure of what he would like to further do with his life. The blase look even served him well when he got that close with doing it with Scarlet Johanson, but didn't. Now speaking of Scarlet, I think she was the reason why I so loved Lost in Translation :P

you're quite right - his punchlines never came again in his later movies. He was better as a comic.

Talking about the 70's...

Have you guys heard about this "Nutri bun" thingy which they used to give out in school daw?

Do you guys remember "choco vim"?

There used to be this TV ad for a refrigerator, with a bald pinoy actor. One lady comes up to him and asks "Ice pugo please", instead of "Ice buko".

Royal tru Orange used to have "pulp bits" are they real or plastic bits? I remember hadji alejandro doing the TV ad "RTO pag ibig kong tunay".

Talking about the 70's...

Have you guys heard about this "Nutri bun" thingy which they used to give out in school daw?

Do you guys remember "choco vim"?

There used to be this TV ad for a refrigerator, with a bald pinoy actor.  One lady comes up to him and asks "Ice pugo please", instead of "Ice buko".

Royal tru Orange used to have "pulp bits" are they real or plastic bits?  I remember hadji alejandro doing the TV ad "RTO pag ibig kong tunay".

Allowance ko nung Grade 1 ako, 15 cents- pambili ng isang choco vim.

Pugo was the bald Pinoy actor. "Dasalasanansens" :D

I liked Bill Murray in Stripes.

Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd in Trading Places

Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop

Steve Martin in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Kaya lang OT kasi 80s na ito lahat. :P

ok lang yan pards - overlap naman memories natin hehe

yeah those were good films - Trading Places and Stripes; reminds me to score a copy of Trading Places.

hindi ba yun yung film na poor si Eddie Murphy and super rich si Dan then they traded places? That was a hilarious movie!

Michael Caine was the other dirty rotten scoundrel..

Michael Caine was the other dirty rotten scoundrel..

Anak ng....

Do you remember that scene where Michael Caine kept hitting Steve Martin's legs? And Steve Martin was in tears because he couldn't react since he was supposed to be paralyzed? Classic. Of course, it was the lady who actually turned out to be the true dirty rotten scoundrel.

Anak ng....

Do you remember that scene where Michael Caine kept hitting Steve Martin's legs?  And Steve Martin was in tears because he couldn't react since he was supposed to be paralyzed?  Classic.  Of course, it was the lady who actually turned out to be the true dirty rotten scoundrel.

pucha.....how can anybody forget that scene!! Grabe istorya ng pelikulang yun - they don't do them now like they used to...hehe another dibidi to look for...

Sila yung naisahan nung girl.

Mga pare koy. Eb naman tayo.

before I get too busy, say when where pare!

isama natin si sbm!!

also I really like to get to meet jt - although may utang yata ako sa kanyang beer :D

Hmmm... Seems like a good idea for a topic:

"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" that had Michael Caine and Steve Martin was actually a remake of a movie that starred David Niven and believe it or not-- Marlon Brando. I saw this movie when I was a kid and immediately remembered the film when I saw the Caine/ Martin adventure.

It had more or less the same plot--two con men trying to get what they can from rich women. The Niven and Brando stint was quite good. If I remember right, I think the movie's title was Bedtime Story.

Want to start a list of Remakes? or same plots or spoofs? Lets try a few:

1. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels -- Bedtime Story

2. Look Who's coming to Dinner -- I think this was spoofed recently by Bernie Mac and Ashton Kucher

3. Charlie's Angel -- Well... Charlie's Angel

3. The Longest Yard with Burt Reynold --- The Longets Yard with Adam Sandler. Correct me but was not this move titled the "Mean Machine" when it was shown 3 decades ago?

4. Thunderball with Sean Connery --- Never Say Never Again -- with Sean Connery

5. A star is born with Judy Garland --- Star is Born with Barbara Streisand

6. The Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland --- The Wizard with Diana Ross and Michael Jackson

Maikli lang list ko pala.... heheh!

2. Look Who's coming to Dinner -- I think this was spoofed recently by Bernie Mac and Ashton Kucher

3. The Longest Yard with Burt Reynold --- The Longets Yard with Adam Sandler. Correct me but was not this move titled the "Mean Machine" when it was shown 3 decades ago?

6. The Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland --- The Wizard with Diana Ross and Michael Jackson

There was another "A Star is Born" film. I believe it came before the Judy Garland starrer, but I just can't remember the name of the actress in it. And yes, the Burt Reynolds version of The Longest Yard was called "The Mean Machine." (The scene where Reynolds passed twice to the crotch of a guard then everyone piled on the guard was unforgettable) There's a British version which has been shown on Hallmark or HBO, but they play football instead of American football. The remake of "The Wizard of Oz" with Michael Jackson was called "The Wiz."

So if I may add to the list:

1. "Charade" with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn ... "The Truth about Charlie" withTim Robbins

2. "Love Affair" with Charles Boyer (as they say, "in glorious black and white") ... "An Affair to Remember" with Cary Grant ... "Love Affair" with Warren Beatty

3. "Planet of the Apes" with Charlton Heston ... "Planet of the Apes" with Mark Walberg

4. "Rear Window" with James Stewart and Grace Kelly... "Rear Window" with Christopher Reeve and Darryl Hannah

5. "Bye bye Birdie" with Ann Margret ... "Bye bye Birdie" with that chubby guy from "Seinfeld" (can't remember his name)

I just remembered. There could probably be another version of "The Longest Yard." It featured a game between policemen and anti-war individuals. The game itself, set in the Vietnam war era, was billed as "Pigs vs. Freaks." The "freaks" included a draft dodger as the quarterback. It was a TV movie, and it starred Brian Dennehy.

Edited by jt2003

Oh yeah! The Planet of the Apes movie! That was a good one!

I almost forgot that the Affair to Remember was also based on the old BnW version. Good memory.

A couple of movies I just remembered:

1. The Thomas Crowne Affair with Steve McQueen --The Thomas Crowne Affair with Pierce Brosnan.

2. The Getaway wtih Steve McQueen -- The Getaway with I forgot who the star(s) was?

At this age and time, I'd like someone to do a remake/ version of the Omega Man and Soylent Green which starred Charlton Heston.

Oh yeah!  The Planet of the Apes movie! That was a good one!

I almost forgot that the Affair to Remember was also based on the old BnW version. Good memory.

At this age and time, I'd like someone to do a remake/ version of the Omega Man and Soylent Green which starred Charlton Heston.

Damn, I loved "The Omega Man" and "Soylent Green," those doomsday-type films. What was so unforgettable about Soylent Green was the dying scene with Edward G. Robinson, showing the Earth in all its beauty to the music of Grieg's "Morning Mood." Also unforgettable was that meal when they had meat and vegetables. What was that Charlton Heston said? "I've never eaten like this."

I remember way back in the 70s when Soylent Green was first released. It actually became a topic of discussion in class, all about people sleeping on the streets, no more food, all those things.

"Soylent green is made of people! Soylent green is made of people!"

Edited by jt2003

As for Omega Man, if I remember right, it was an end-of-humankind type of film, with deserted cities and zombie-like people moving around (they all had white eyes) while a group led by Charlton Heston kept moving to find safety. Charlton Heston was paired with an African-American actress. I can't quite recall what caused most people in the world to die in the film. Was it some kind of biological or chemical weapon?

These days, doomsday films are more about large meteors, asteriods or comets hitting the Earth.

JT:

Yes, I remember how teachers would talk about how the world would be filled with so many people that all resources were getting too scarce.

heheh... "Soylent Green is made of people!" That was a line too hard to forget! :D :sick:

Darn, at the very least, HBO should show it !

Damn, I loved "The Omega Man" and "Soylent Green," those doomsday-type films.  What was so unforgettable about Soylent Green was the dying scene with Edward G. Robinson, showing the Earth in all its beauty to the music of Grieg's "Morning Mood."  Also unforgettable was that meal when they had meat and  vegetables.  What was that Charlton Heston said?  "I've never eaten like this."

I remember way back in the 70s when Soylent Green was first released.  It actually became a topic of discussion in class, all about people sleeping on the streets, no more food, all those things.

"Soylent green is made of people!  Soylent green is made of people!"

"Soylent Green" also featured Leigh Taylor-Young, who years earlier appeared in the film adaptation of Harold Robbins' "The Adventurers." In one scene in "Soylent Green," she and Charlton Heston took a shower together. Although no flesh was shown, that scene was pretty erotic for one such as myself who still wasn't a teen-ager. My imagination flared.

O ano eb na.

A Star is Born starred Judy Garland's daughter, Liza Minnelie.

More remade movies:

1. War of the Worlds with Orson Welles. War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise

2. Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn and Humprey Bogart. Sabrina with Harrison Ford and

3. Kingkong is coming soon. A 3rd remake.

4. The Time Machine with Rod Taylor. The Time Machine with Guy Pierce.

5. Heaven Can Wait with Warren Beatty. Heaven Can Wait with Chris Rock.

6. Rollerball with James Caan. Rollerball with Rebecca Romijn (I forgot the guy's name)

7. The Italian Job

8. Alfie

9. Get Carter

10. Around the World in 80 days

O ano eb na.

A Star is Born starred Judy Garland's daughter, Liza Minnelie.

More remade movies:

1. War of the Worlds with Orson Welles. War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise

2. Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn and Humprey Bogart. Sabrina with Harrison Ford and

3. Kingkong is coming soon. A 3rd remake.

4. The Time Machine with Rod Taylor. The Time Machine with Guy Pierce.

5. Heaven Can Wait with Warren Beatty. Heaven Can Wait with Chris Rock.

6. Rollerball with James Caan. Rollerball with Rebecca Romijn (I forgot the guy's name)

7. The Italian Job

8. Alfie

9. Get Carter

10. Around the World in 80 days

Hmmm... Seems like a good idea for a topic:

"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" that had Michael Caine and Steve Martin was actually a remake of a movie that starred David Niven and believe it or not-- Marlon Brando. I saw this movie when I was a kid and immediately remembered the film when I saw the Caine/ Martin adventure.

It had more or less the same plot--two con men trying to get what they can from rich women. The Niven and Brando stint was quite good. If I remember right, I think the movie's title was Bedtime Story.

Michael Caine seems to have appeared in a lot of movies with conmen as the theme. In The Man Who Would Be King, he appeared with Sean Connery as two adventurers trying to pass themselves off as some sort of gods to a primitive tribe. In the end nabuking din sila - I can't quite recall the last scene - was it the one where they were made to cross a hanging bridge which was about to be cut off and they would plunge into a ravine?

Caine also appeared with Jack Nicholson in Blood and Wine. The two of them were I think wine connoisseurs -cum- jewel thieves. It also had a very young and nubile Jennifer Lopez. The dance scene she had with Nicholson I found so sensual - I can't keep my eyes off her considerable backside.

Caine was also in the original Italian Job which I preferred to the remake though it had less gadgetry and gimmickry.

Of course, Caine was the quintessential womanizing conman sort-of in Alfie.

As for Omega Man, if I remember right, it was an end-of-humankind type of film, with deserted cities and zombie-like people moving around (they all had white eyes) while a group led by Charlton Heston kept moving to find safety.  Charlton Heston was paired with an African-American actress.  I can't quite recall what caused most people in the world to die in the film.  Was it some kind of biological or chemical weapon?

These days, doomsday films are more about large meteors, asteriods or comets hitting the Earth.

I remember seeing a lot of reruns of The Omega Man in those afternoon movie features in the old Channel 9. The start of the film made such an impression on me and still gives me some creeps today. Charlton Heston was supposed to be the last man alive on earth. Alone in a windy city, no cars running, stores open but nobody there - he was supposed to be the only human left then he hears the phone ringing in a lonely telephone booth.

Michael Caine seems to have appeared in a lot of movies with conmen as the theme. In The Man Who Would Be King, he appeared with Sean Connery as two adventurers trying to pass themselves off as some sort of gods to a primitive tribe. In the end nabuking din sila - I can't quite recall the last scene - was it the one where they were made to cross a hanging bridge which was about to be cut off and they would plunge into a ravine?

You're right there, pareng Bods. It wasn't quite the final scene though, because Michael Caine's character survived the fall and came back to tell the story ... and to bring back Sean Connery's head, crown and all.

You're right there, pareng Bods.  It wasn't quite the final scene though, because Michael Caine's character survived the fall and came back to tell the story ... and to bring back Sean Connery's head, crown and all.

ah yes that was it. Thanks, pareng jt. So when do we drink the beers I owe you?

I think the movie was based on a Rudyard Kipling story.