Apple Cidra

7-Up

ChocoVim

Noong 60s

Cosmos Pineapple

Canada Dry Uva

Bireley or Barley Choco, lemon, etc.

Avenue

My parents ran a sari-sari store for a few years during the 70s. I remember Fanta Rootbeer. Ang sarap! Iyan usually ang ini-inom ko kapag nanonood kami ng sine sa Cubao.

Does anyone remember the company that used to make Choco-Vim? Was it Magnolia?

I also remember PANCHO PANTERA chocolate mix drink which used to be promoted by Uncle Bob Stewart, original owner of Channel 7. :D

Oo nga. Uncle Bob's tv shows were very much a part of the 1970s. I don't know if this gentleman is still around. The last thing I heard about him was that he and his Filipina wife left the Philippines to retire in Arizona.

You're right na he was the original owner of Channel 7. The company that used to operate Channel 7 was known as RBS (the initials stood for Republic Broadcasting System) until the name changed much later to GMA-7 when Jimenez took over.

If ever the day comes when a history of Philippine television is written, this man deserves, at the least, a chapter in it.

Edited by willow_boy
Oo nga.  Uncle Bob's tv shows were very much a part of the 1970s.  I don't know if this gentleman is still around.  The last thing I heard about him was that he and his Filipina wife left the Philippines to retire in Arizona. 

You're right na he was the original owner of Channel 7.  The company that used to operate Channel 7 was known as RBS (the initials stood for Robert B. Stewart) until the name changed much later to GMA-7 when Gimenez took over.

If ever the day comes when a history of Philippine television is written, this man deserves, at the least, a chapter in it.

According to a news report in INQ.7 dated June 12/06. Uncle Bob passed away in Phoenix, Arizona on 06 April 2006. :(

Edited by Mandrake
According to a news report in INQ.7 dated June 12/06. Uncle Bob passed away in Phoenix, Arizona on 06 April 2006. :(

I seem to remember that an earlier item in INQ.7 reported that Uncle Bob's remains were brought back to our lovely PI to be buried here. I understand it was his wish to be buried in the Philippines.

it's because may takot ang tao noon, takot kay Marcos....ngayon...ang tao walang takot kaya tayo ganito.

Pero mali na kaya peaceful dahil sa takot. Kaya nga nangyari yung EDSA.

Mas masarap mabuhay na walang takot at malaya. Dapat lamang ay naghahari ang kabutihan, pagmamalasakit sa kapwa, bayan at kapaligiran, at merong pagkakaisa. :thumbsupsmiley:

dominant broadsheets were Bulletin Today and Daily Express. in the back pages of the former, leisure section i think, i always noticed at the bottom of the page the prominent ad of Eduardo's in pasay listing the night's performers (balladers, etc.). right next to the box of eduardo's is the ad for Impierno's also in pasay where listed performers are usually groups of sexy girls. wonder what happened to the site where these two establishments used to be located?

dominant broadsheets were Bulletin Today and Daily Express. in the back pages of the former, leisure section i think, i always noticed at the bottom of the page the prominent ad of Eduardo's in pasay listing the night's performers (balladers, etc.).  right next to the box of eduardo's is the ad for Impierno's also in pasay where listed performers are usually groups of sexy girls. wonder what happened to the site where these two establishments used to be located?

let's not forget BAYSIDE NIGHT CLUB which was also located along this row. Naalala kO unang pasok ko sa Eduardo's tumutugtog ang HOTDOG BAND.

Pag Christmas, I looked forward to the Christmas presentation at the old C.O.D. department store sa Cubao. Ali Mall was also newly built and was nice.

Actually, IMHO, during the 1970s, as far as family entertainment was concerned, mas maganda pumunta sa Cubao kaysa sa Makati. Cubao had several movie theaters on Aurora Boulevard and the Araneta Center (Fiesta Carnival, Araneta Coliseum, Farmers' Market) offered a lot of options for family trips. Makati, except for some restaurants on Makati Avenue and Buendia, was primarily a business district.

Edited by willow_boy
Actually, IMHO, during the 1970s, as far as family entertainment was concerned, mas maganda pumunta sa Cubao kaysa sa Makati.  Cubao had several movie theaters on Aurora Boulevard and the Araneta Center (Fiesta Carnival, Araneta Coliseum, Farmers' Market) offered a lot of options for family trips.  Makati, except for some restaurants on Makati Avenue and Buendia, was primarily a business district.

more on cubao . . . before TV Patrol and the live coverage of unfolding events on evening news, TV newscast was subdued and bland in the 70s (martial law eh?). i can't remember the exact year but i think it's '78 or '79 when RPN 9 went on live telecast with a bank robbery that dragged till early evening hours. the bank was the BPI branch along aurora blvd. in what used to be the well-manicured lawn of Stella Maris College. nakipagbarilan ang mga bank robbers sa mga pulis. guess this is the toned down version of the infamous shootout between L.A. cops and the robbers of Bank of America north hollywood.

more on cubao . . . before TV Patrol and the live coverage of unfolding events on evening news, TV newscast was subdued and bland in the 70s (martial law eh?). i can't remember the exact year but i think it's '78 or '79 when RPN 9 went on live telecast with a bank robbery that dragged till early evening hours.  the bank was the BPI branch along aurora blvd. in what used to be the well-manicured lawn of Stella Maris College.  nakipagbarilan ang mga bank robbers sa mga pulis.  guess this is the toned down version of the infamous shootout between L.A. cops and the robbers of Bank of America north hollywood.

Yes, you're right. 1979 noong mangyari iyon and the reason I remember is that a family friend of ours was in that BPI branch when the robbery took place. I do remember RPN-9's live coverage. Naalala ko rin na pumasok iyong SWAT team sa bank branch after firing tear gas into the bank. A few moments later, they all came out because they all forgot to put on their masks when they went in! That was hilarious! :D

Edited by willow_boy

The mid 70s ushered the birth and growth of SAUNA BATHS & MASSAGE PARLORS esp. in the QC area, most popular were:

1. Maalikaya (formerly Maharlika)---same location at present n still surviving but lost its glorious past

2. Crown MP--- still located in the same location but suffering the same fate as Maalikaya

3. Palace---used to be located in the area now occupied by Red Ribbon fronting National Bookstore..it

has now relocated in Timog...

Beer gardens with a-ago-go dancers were then the favorite hang-outs. First beerhouse my uncle brought me was REST in Timog circa '78. :P

PNB was the prominent government owned bank back then. their ad line "para kang nakasandal sa pader" says it all. at the end of this decade, the bank purchased a fleet of buses to shuttle its main office (escolta) employees on their morning and afternoon trip to work. those were really nice coaches - MAN from germany. not even the tour buses from the country's top tour agencies like rajah tours can top them. during the financial crunch post 08/21/83, i think those buses found their way at the pantranco station in quezon ave.

TV Shows during the 1970s:

Channel 7:

1) Discorama - hosted by the late Bobby Ledesma along with TVJ (remember their Tough Hits?) :)

2) Student Canteen - hosted by Eddie Ilarde, Bobby Ledesma, Helen Vela, and Coney Reyes-Mumar

3) Kapwa Ko, Mahal Ko - Does anybody remember Dr. Talusan? :)

4) News at Seven - anchored by Bong Lapira and Tina Monzon-Palma (ang ganda ni Tina noon YES!)

5) Penthouse 7 - hosted by Archie Lacson

6) Voltes V - premiered in the Philippines in May 1979

Channel 9:

1) Eat Bulaga - show premiered in 1979 (It's been that long, geez.)

2) Tony Santos Presents - noontime show (early 70s)

Channel 13:

1) Seeing Stars with Joe Quirino

2) Iskul Bukol - with TVJ, premiered in 1978

3) TODAS - Spanky Rigor, Val Sotto, Frieda Fonda, etc.

I remember that Tina Revilla and Ariel Ureta had a show too pero I can't recall the title nor the channel that it was on.

Edited by willow_boy
TV Shows during the 1970s:

Channel 7: 

1)  Discorama - hosted by the late Bobby Ledesma along with TVJ (remember their Tough Hits?)  :)

2)  Student Canteen - hosted by Eddie Ilarde, Bobby Ledesma, Helen Vela, and Coney Reyes-Mumar

3)  Kapwa Ko, Mahal Ko - Does anybody remember Dr. Talusan?  :)

4)  News at Seven - anchored by Bong Lapira and Tina Monzon-Palma (ang ganda ni Tina noon YES!)

5)  Penthouse 7 - hosted by Archie Lacson

6)  Voltes V - premiered in the Philippines in May 1979

Channel 9:

1)  Eat Bulaga - show premiered in 1979 (It's been that long, geez.)

2)  Tony Santos Presents - noontime show (early 70s)

Channel 13: 

1)  Seeing Stars with Joe Quirino

2)  Iskul Bukol - with TVJ, premiered in 1978

3)  TODAS - Spanky Rigor, Val Sotto, Frieda Fonda, etc.

I remember that Tina Revilla and Ariel Ureta had a show too pero I can't recall the title nor the channel that it was on.

Channel 13:

4) Big Ike's Happening - with . . . of course, Ike Lozada

Thanks mga pre for keeping the thread alive.

We used to watch lounge acts in hotels. Here are some of my favorites:

1. New Minstrels/Something Special at Siete Pecados

2. Music and Magic with Kuh Ledesma - Alibi bar

3. Family Birth Control Band - Siete Pecados

4. Music Making Company - Cusco

5. Vernie Varga at the Calesa Bar

6. Boy Katindig at the Tap Room

7. Eddie K - Birds of the Same Feather (80s na yata?)

Favorite Bands noong high school pa ako

1. Circus

2. Hot Dog

Nung nasa UP na ako nadagdag ang

Banyuhay

Asin

Naging favorite ko nung tumanda na ako

VST

Hagibis lalo na yung Katawan - lead vocalist nilang tunay ay si Pareng Mike Hanopol