Back To The 70's

Storm,

Ayos iyang listahan mo, pards! Brings back a lot of memories. Siete Pecados! How could I forget that place sa Philippine Plaza, right?

Pa'no ko ba nalimutan si Pareng Heber Bartolome? :)

Si Sampaguita din for coming out with "Bonggahan" back in the summer of 1978! :thumbsupsmiley:

Rey Valera's love songs and of course si Rico J. Puno!

Storm,

Ayos iyang listahan mo, pards!  Brings back a lot of memories.  Siete Pecados!  How could I forget that place sa Philippine Plaza, right?

Pa'no ko ba nalimutan si Pareng Heber Bartolome?  :)

Si Sampaguita din for coming out with "Bonggahan" back in the summer of 1978!  :thumbsupsmiley:

Rey Valera's love songs and of course si Rico J. Puno!

Pagkatapos tuloy kami sa Wherelse, then sa lobby ng Manila Pen kung may pera pa or kung kulang sa Aberdeen (for the siomai) either sa Makati Ave. o sa Quezon Ave.

Are you referring to Yolly Samson? :(

That's her alright...Mrs. Yolly S. Ilacad. Not sure though if it

was cancer that she died of 3 or 4 yrs back.

Down memory lane, the Ilacads own and manage OctoArts which was among

the first music companies to start the Original Pilipino Music (OPM) in

80s. Orly, the elder brother of Ricky, used to lead the band called

THE RAMRODS in the late 60s and early 70s.

yesterday as I was driving along Santolan in QC, I came side by side with a jeepney whose route written on the side was Crame-Murphy-Adamson. Adamson there refers to Adamson & Adamson which was the first company I worked for in the early 80's. It used to be along Santolan after West Crame but now it's not there anymore - having transferred to along South Superhighway.

But the route name for jeepneys plying that route has stuck with that name - Adamson - but a firsttimer along that route would wonder what the heck Adamson is :D

Madaming ganyang landmark here in Manila - long-gone places that have continued to exist in jeepneys' route names. I don't know what Stop & Shop was pero madaming ganitong ruta sa Marikina (Parang-Stop & Shop or SSS - Stop & Shop). Or what the heck is Gabby's? :blink: Daming jeep na Gabby's sa Kalentong...

I'm sure madami pang ganyan dito eh pero offhand I can't think of anything more. Care to help guys? :D

That's her alright...Mrs. Yolly S. Ilacad. Not sure though if it

was cancer that she died of 3 or 4 yrs back.

Down memory lane, the Ilacads own and manage OctoArts which was among

the first music companies to start the Original Pilipino Music (OPM) in

80s. Orly, the elder brother of Ricky, used to lead the band called

THE RAMRODS in the late 60s and early 70s.

Mandrake,

Is Artie Ilacad, the drummer for the Boyfriends, a brother or a cousin of the Ilacads?

Mandrake,

Is Artie Ilacad, the drummer for the Boyfriends, a brother or a cousin of the Ilacads?

The skinny one? I believe he's the brother...I'm not sure though.

The Boyfriends, HAGIBIS, VST & Co. The New Minstrels and Circus Band were the hit bands of

the glory years of Disco that was the 80s.

The 70s, on the other hand, were dominated by Rock n Roll bands which peaked following the showing of EASY RIDER & WOODSTOCK. For those who were in ANTIPOLO ROCK JAM, bigaaat nyoooo pre!!!! :P

Edited by Mandrake
The skinny one? I believe he's the brother...I'm not sure though.

The Boyfriends, HAGIBIS, VST & Co. The New Minstrels and Circus Band were the hit bands of

the glory years of Disco that was the 80s.

The 70s, on the other hand, were dominated by Rock n Roll bands which peaked following the showing of EASY RIDER & WOODSTOCK.  For those who were in ANTIPOLO ROCK JAM, bigaaat nyoooo pre!!!! :P

Sorry pero medyo mali ka yata jan bro. The Disco peaked in the late 70s with movies like Saturday Night Fever and TGIF. First time kong nakapunta sa Delirium and Wherelse was in 1975.

The Boyfriends, Wadab and VST & Co. were the Pinoy version of the BeeGees. Hagibis naman ang Pinoy version of the Village People.

Disbanded na ang Circus band nung late 70s.

In the 80s, the Disco faded then nauso na ang mobile and new wave but that's in the other thread.

Sorry pero medyo mali ka yata jan bro. The Disco peaked in the late 70s with movies like Saturday Night Fever and TGIF. First time kong nakapunta sa Delirium and Wherelse was in 1975.

The Boyfriends, Wadab and VST & Co. were the Pinoy version of the BeeGees. Hagibis naman ang Pinoy version of the Village People.

In the 80s, the Disco faded then nauso na ang mobile and new wave but that's in the other thread.

Storm,

Speaking of WADAB, mayroon ba silang CD compilation of their greatest hits? I was searching through the internet pero wala akong makita. So far e mayroon akong CD ng Hotdog and VST (greatest hits CDs). Thanks in advance for any info you can share about WADAB.

Some Hit Songs (foreign) from the 70s:

"Short People" - Randy Newman

"Sentimental Lady" - Bob Welch/Fleetwood Mac

"Fire and Rain" - James Taylor

"Dancing Queen" - ABBA

"YMCA" - Village People

"How Deep Is Your Love" - Bee Gees

"Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin

"Hotel California" - Eagles

"Oh Lori" - Alessi Brothers

"Danny's Song" - Loggins & Messina

"Annie's Song" - John Denver

"Terminal" - Rupert Holmes

"Summer Breeze" - Seals & Crofts

Edited by willow_boy

I stand corrected with Circus Band although they were re-united for some special concerts in the early 80's. I say early 80s (circa 1980-83) when the Disco genre was still making waves before it gradually faded with the attack of punk or new wave music in the airwaves. VELVET SLUM DISCO was still packing it strong in 1980, until it slowly deteriorated over the years.

The early 70s (circa 70-72) were the years of long-hair and pill-popping, herb-smoking headbangers until Martial Law was declared on Sept. 21/72 that dramatically changed everything from politics to the way of life under the slogan of the so-called New Society (or Bagong Lipunan): "Sa Ikaauunlad ng Bayan--Disiplina ang Kailangan." Was it Ariel Ureta who was rumored to have been picked up by the Metrocom for making fun of the slogan by saying in his noontime show "......Bisikleta ang Kailangan?" For this, it was rumored that he was brought to Crame and required to ride the bike around the camp. :P

Edited by Mandrake
Some Hit Songs (foreign) from the 70s:

"Short People" - Randy Newman

"Sentimental Lady" - Bob Welch/Fleetwood Mac

"Fire and Rain" - James Taylor

"Dancing Queen" - ABBA

"YMCA" - Village People

"How Deep Is Your Love" - Bee Gees

"Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin

"Hotel California" - Eagles

"Oh Lori" - Alessi Brothers

"Danny's Song" - Loggins & Messina

"Annie's Song" - John Denver

"Terminal" - Rupert Holmes

"Summer Breeze" - Seals & Crofts

a lot of mp3's of these songs nagkalat sa mga malls. PLATINUM RHYTHMS, THAT 70'S MP3 COLLECTION, '70s R&B COLLECTIONS and BILLBOARD TOP HITS 1976-85.

I stand corrected with Circus Band although they were re-united for some special concerts in the early 80's. I say early 80s (circa 1980-83) when the Disco genre was still making waves before it gradually faded with the attack of punk or new wave music in the airwaves. VELVET SLUM DISCO was still packing it strong in 1980, until it slowly deteriorated over the years.

The early 70s (circa 70-72) were the years of long-hair and pill-popping, herb-smoking headbangers until Martial Law was declared on Sept. 21/72 that dramatically changed everything from politics to the way of life under the slogan of the so-called New Society (or Bagong Lipunan):  "Sa Ikaauunlad ng Bayan--Disiplina ang Kailangan."  Was it Ariel Ureta who was rumored to have been picked up by the Metrocom for making fun of the slogan by saying in his noontime show "......Bisikleta ang Kailangan?"  For this, it was rumored that he was brought to Crame and required to ride the bike around the camp. :P

Yup it was funnyman Ariel Ureta. Incidentally, he has a show at the ANC Channel entitled "My Favorite Show."

Martial Law was formally announced on September 23, 1972.

I agree with you on the circa 70-72 before Martial Law. Uso noon ang sobrang long hair. From the Beatles to Alice Cooper. I have cousins who lost their minds due to drugs. Sayang sila.

I started attending typars in 1973. I saw a Circus band concert that year. Si Pabs Dadivas and Tillie Moreno ang lead vocals nila. Backup lang noon sina Hajji Alejandro and Basil Valdez pero nang magdisband, unang sumikat si Basil for Ngayon at Kailanman then sinundan ni Hajji with Panakip Butas.

Favorites namin sa mga typars noon (circa 73-76) ay:

Tower of Power

Led Zeppelin, particularly - Stairway to Heaven

MFSB

Three Degrees

Barry White

Diana Ross

Blue Magic

The Stylistics

The Temptations

BeeGees

Sergio Mendez

Gino Vanelli

Lani Hall

Astrud Gilberto

Deodato

KC & the Sunshine band

Seals and Crofts

The Doobie Brothers

Maureen McGovern

Friends of distinction

The Main Ingredient

Chicago

Aveage White Band

Sige na nga si Barry Mannilow

HotDog

Paul Williams

Olivia Newton-John

Wings

Chuck Mangione

Ramsey Lewis

Bob James

Major Harris

Cerrone

Biddu Orchestra

The Commodores

Earth Wind and Fire

among others

Storm,

Speaking of WADAB, mayroon ba silang CD compilation of their greatest hits?  I was searching through the internet pero wala akong makita.  So far e mayroon akong CD ng Hotdog and VST (greatest hits CDs).  Thanks in advance for any info you can share about WADAB.

Wala rin akong makita. Wadab is Davaw spelled backwards kasi taga Davao sila if I'm not mistaken.

what's the 70's without the ever-present NUTRIBUN?

Fortified Monay :P

:lol:  I share your sentiments about this one, pards!  Hahaha!!!

Regarding Pabs Dadivas, wasn't he active in the Hare Krishna movement during that time?

Pero favorite ng mga chikas si Barry Mannilow

Memorable nga sa akin yung "As Sure as I'm Standing Here" :rolleyes: :hypocritesmiley:

I don't know bro pero hindi siya nag-click as a solo performer.

Huwag rin nating kalimutan ang dakilang si Rudy Genaskey ("Tom Jones" of the Philippines daw) na ang palaging kinakanta sa TV e "Rock Me Baby".  :D

Hahaha...Ang daming Pinoy copy cats nitong si Tom Jones! When I was stationed in Bahrain in the late 80s, I was a regular at the Holiday Inn where lo and behold was the band of BOY MONDRAGON making waves in this Middle Eastern State. I quite remembered this tiny showbiz singer in the 70s doing Tom Jones impersonations and belting out songs of Wilson Picket on TV shows as "Big Ike's Happening" and "The Sensations" (pabaduyan na ito!) :P

But seriously, this guy (or should I say gay) made it really big-time in Manama, Bahrain. :D

Hahaha...Ang daming Pinoy copy cats nitong si Tom Jones! When I was stationed in Bahrain in the late 80s, I was a regular at the Holiday Inn where lo and behold was the band of BOY MONDRAGON  making waves in this Middle Eastern State.  I quite remembered this tiny showbiz singer in the 70s doing Tom Jones impersonations and belting out songs of Wilson Picket on TV shows as "Big Ike's Happening" and "The Sensations" (pabaduyan na ito!)  :P

But seriously, this guy (or should I say gay) made it really big-time in Manama, Bahrain. :D

Tutal pabaduyan na rin lang e lubusin na natin! :D

Who can forget the sentimental songstress Claire dela Fuente at ang kanyang makapag-bagbag damdaming awiting "Sayang" that went to the top of the charts in the summer of 1978? :lol:

At si Imelda Papin sa kanyang awiting "Tukso"?

Edited by willow_boy
Sige sali na rin ako. I met Victor Wood early this month in a cocktail at the National Museum. He's now an artist (painter).

Wasn't he the undisputed Jukebox King?

Don't forget Eva Eugenio?

Yeah. he was indeed the unidsputed Jukebox King. I just don't know kung saan iyong mga jukebox na they were referring to. :)

How about Rey Valera at ang kanyang romantikong awiting "Superman"? (Sa totoo lang, ok sa 'kin 'tong kanta niyang ito. Hehe :D Baduy rin pala 'ko 'no?)