Back To The 70's

Speaking of Jun Papa, he often did something we seldom see today: the running jumpshot. And with much accuracy. Another thing we seldom see today is the the stop-and-shoot-on-a-fastbreak, which Atoy Co did time and time again, especially against Toyota with Fernandez defending the paint. And we no longer see the kind of fastbreaks that Jawo and Arnaiz used to run. Those passes by Jawo to Arnaiz often sent the Toyota crowd wild.

Oo nga, before Jun Papa developed that running jumpshot, he's the best sa "set shot" and he can put in that ball much farther than the 3-point lines of today. Siguro, kung meron 3-point shot nun, Papa would easily surpassed the 50 point barrier. But of course, he's in the company of other Asia's great scorers with the likes of Bogs Adornado and Danilo Florencio. Atoy Co is the owner of the most beautiful fade away shot and again, maski nasa 3 point area. Hirap nun. Being a player once during my younger years, fading away from 25 feet out takes lots of body balance for that scoring accuracy.

The tandem of Jawo and Arnaiz naman, the best sa fastbreak but the man responsible sa receiving end was Ompong Segura.

Speaking of Jun Papa, he often did something we seldom see today: the running jumpshot. And with much accuracy. Another thing we seldom see today is the the stop-and-shoot-on-a-fastbreak, which Atoy Co did time and time again, especially against Toyota with Fernandez defending the paint. And we no longer see the kind of fastbreaks that Jawo and Arnaiz used to run. Those passes by Jawo to Arnaiz often sent the Toyota crowd wild.

Well, very few among today's players can still shoot from long range like with the same consistency as Jawo, Arnaiz, Atoy and Bogs, Hubalde or even Webb, Lim Eng Beng, Bilbao, Mariano, etc. in their prime. After the Caidic/Magsanoc/Jarencio era, we now have Yap, etc. (pero hindi pa rin eh?) but mostly, everyone seems to want to take it strong to the hoop ala MJ which is fine for local, perhaps even regional tournaments but virtually useless for international competitions where we have to play against much, much taller teams.

Style dati, run-and-gun. That's why there is a premium on shooting and passing accuracy especially for long passes on those fastbreak plays. Scores commonly reach the 100s. Until Tommy Manotoc came along and started preaching defense. Now, it became more of a half-court game. Yung ginagawa nila Arnaiz noon na during a fastbreak, instead of driving to the hoop, titigil just before the arc para tumira ng tres, di na uubra sa mga coach ngayon yan! Although I also can't think of any player right now who can still do that, make the shot and get away with it. Or yung during a half-court play, libre naman, aatras pa si Atoy Co para bumira ng tres instead of taking the higher percentage shot and be happy with a two. But the thing is, they did it because they know they can sink the shot even from the parking lot! Kung ngayon gawin yan, automatic, lalabas na yung player at bangko na yan for the rest of the game.

Oo nga, before Jun Papa developed that running jumpshot, he's the best sa "set shot" and he can put in that ball much farther than the 3-point lines of today. Siguro, kung meron 3-point shot nun, Papa would easily surpassed the 50 point barrier. But of course, he's in the company of other Asia's great scorers with the likes of Bogs Adornado and Danilo Florencio. Atoy Co is the owner of the most beautiful fade away shot and again, maski nasa 3 point area. Hirap nun. Being a player once during my younger years, fading away from 25 feet out takes lots of body balance for that scoring accuracy.

Speaking of "signature" shots, ginagaya namin noon yung mga players who have a distinct way of shooting free throws. For example, si Jawo, hold the ball right above his forehead, right palm over left, then flicks the ball using only his palm. Or at least, for us, that's how it looked like. Si Adornado, he puts the ball over his right shoulder, both arms touching each other. Si Cleofas, palms on opposite sides of the ball, puts the ball right behind his head. Pag kami na gumagawa, hindi pumapasok yung bola. Hehehe! :lol:

Edited by Magaling
My unveiled sculpture in Fort Boni.

I am so glad to see this sculpture replace the one before it. Now dont get me

wrong. I have nothing against abstract art. But it pleases me to see pedestrians,

especially foreigners stop to admire sculptures such as these. Those along ayala

and makati avenue - of heroes from our past - have tourists reading the descriptions

at the foot of the statue.

This is very refreshing indeed.

Cheers Storm.

CS

Thanks Pareng CS.

I wish I could do a much larger version somewhere in Manila bay. Parang Statue of Liberty.

Pareng Storm: I finally saw this yesterday. All I can say is that it made the place look more pleasant. Two thumbs up! :thumbsupsmiley: Ipinagmalaki ko pa! Sabi ko sa kasama ko while we were driving, "Kita mo yan? Barkada ko gumawa nyan!" (As if. Hehehe) Kaya lang, nung tinanong ako "Talaga? Sino?" Change topic na lang di ko alam sagot eh alangan naman sabihin ko si "Storm" baka batukan pa ko nung kasama ko. Hahaha! :D :lol: :D

:D :D :D Pare sabihin mo si Ferdie Cacnio. Anyway na-publish naman sa mga newspapers.

Well, very few among today's players can still shoot from long range like with the same consistency as Jawo, Arnaiz, Atoy and Bogs, Hubalde or even Webb, Lim Eng Beng, Bilbao, Mariano, etc. in their prime. After the Caidic/Magsanoc/Jarencio era, we now have Yap, etc. (pero hindi pa rin eh?) but mostly, everyone seems to want to take it strong to the hoop ala MJ which is fine for local, perhaps even regional tournaments but virtually useless for international competitions where we have to play against much, much taller teams.

Style dati, run-and-gun. That's why there is a premium on shooting and passing accuracy especially for long passes on those fastbreak plays. Scores commonly reach the 100s. Until Tommy Manotoc came along and started preaching defense. Now, it became more of a half-court game. Yung ginagawa nila Arnaiz noon na during a fastbreak, instead of driving to the hoop, titigil just before the arc para tumira ng tres, di na uubra sa mga coach ngayon yan! Although I also can't think of any player right now who can still do that, make the shot and get away with it. Or yung during a half-court play, libre naman, aatras pa si Atoy Co para bumira ng tres instead of taking the higher percentage shot and be happy with a two. But the thing is, they did it because they know they can sink the shot even from the parking lot! Kung ngayon gawin yan, automatic, lalabas na yung player at bangko na yan for the rest of the game.

Exactly. Di puwede sa internatinal ang "buhat buhat" sa ilalim ng goal (not unless you are totally all alone under the basket).The very reason why South Koreal won the ABC title years ago against powerhouse China is that they have players who can accurately shoot from afar. And, flashback, the very reason we won consecutive ABC championship back then was that we have players who can shoot high percentage from the outside, Herrera, Mariano, Marquez, Botchok, Reyes, Marcelo, Miego, and lately, Freddie Webb. A glaring example was Alvin Patrimonio. Kapag locals ang kalaban niya, he can score at will but when he became a member of our national team, wala na! Pinapayungan na lang siya. We can see our players now from PBA na akala natin ang gagaling, what with those magical moves, pero in reality, bulok ang style na yun when it comes to international play.

Speaking of "signature" shots, ginagaya namin noon yung mga players who have a distinct way of shooting free throws. For example, si Jawo, hold the ball right above his forehead, right palm over left, then flicks the ball using only his palm. Or at least, for us, that's how it looked like. Si Adornado, he puts the ball over his right shoulder, both arms touching each other. Si Cleofas, palms on opposite sides of the ball, puts the ball right behind his head. Pag kami na gumagawa, hindi pumapasok yung bola. Hehehe! :lol:

And...ang uso nun kapag free throw...right foot forward for balance habang tumitira ng free throw. Signature shot? I remember Sullano of Mariwasa na ang style niya releasing the ball right hand malapit sa kanyang kanang ear. Martirez used to shoot with both hands also with dave Regullano. Style ni Bogs, kaya siya nabansagan na "double blade", ang landi kasi ng form niya. Another player who puts the ball behind his head while shooting was Manny Paner. Jake Rojas also of Mariwasa owns the most accurate hands, usually starting with 5 for 5 shots then 8 for 8 and who would not forget his "jack knife" layout-both hands while doing the layup. Si Belmonte (the balding player of San Miguel) who jump shoots while flicking both his feet behind. Delikado kapag hinawakan ng kalabang player. Si Mr. Pektus....Jimmy Mariano, who shoots left handed with great accuracy.

This is also a problem in the NBA. A lot of the younger players just take the ball to the basket. It's rare to see players who are good/great with their outside shots. That's why they're also running into problems lately in winning international competitions against Europeans and South Americans who are still well grounded on the various basketball techniques. Sa US, puro "show time" na kasi ang ginagawa ng mga nakababatang mga player. The shooting percentages have steadily gone down and it's becoming quite common to see players miss even their free throws. In the early days of the NBA up to the time of Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and MJ, it was the other way around. It was rare to see a player miss a free throw or miss a jump shot once one frees himself from defenders.

Granted that the NBA's influence and following among our youth is quite strong, pero huwag sanang gayahin ng mga player natin ang mga player ng NBA because these guys are not setting a good example. We would be much better off looking towards the Eastern Europeans, specifically the Yugoslavians (Serbians & Croatians), who still master the fundamentals of basketball.

Ei! Nice pic of the Sony Betamax. That unit brings back a lot of memeories - especially the XXX kind. ung una kong XXX beta na napanood ko was "Deep Throat" and it was on a unit like that! Previous to that puro super 8mm na films ang pinanapanood namin. :thumbsupsmiley:

The Betamax really freed us from all the boring shows on TV, and the movie reruns. Now we have cable (which is also becoming boring) and dvd players. But the VCR was really a liberating experience and gave the consumer the power to watch what he wanted.

Lahat ng nahuhuli sa Curfew sa Crame. Most likely

Pero pinagdamo pa daw siya dun..... according to some posts here

Metrocom is a formidable force then. Kapag dinampot ka .... good luck

White car with red markings .... with men in brown riding

"Sa ika-uunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan" as he spoofed koymacks' slogan for martial law.

Ayun dinampot ng metrocom, at pinagbisikleta maghapon sa crame.

(crame nga ba?)

Edited by lomex32
Metrocom is a formidable force then. Kapag dinampot ka .... good luck

White car with red markings .... with men in brown riding

"Sumuku na kamo! Mitrukum ini! Patyon ka diha!" was the familiar

battle cry that we often hear from jokes in those days. :huh:

Another shuddering word---ASO (Arrest Seizure Order) issued by the dreaded

JAGO (Judge Adjutant General's Office under Brig. Gen. Nanadiego). :cry:

Another shuddering word---ASO (Arrest Seizure Order) issued by the dreaded

JAGO (Judge Adjutant General's Office under Brig. Gen. Nanadiego). :cry:

I believe it was ASSO (Arrest, Search and Seizure Order), and it was indeed shuddering. And how about PDO (Preventive Detention Order)?

Mukhang walang pwede tomorrow. I'll be out of the country next week so pag balik ko na lang ang EB! Thanks pareng sbm.

Kumusta sa inyong lahat.

Pareng JT, long time no see.

Basta nung Martial Law nauso yung stay-in typar. Kapag inabot ng 12 then naging 1am, dehins na pwedeng lumabas.

Noon din naging hari ang mga PC or Philippine Constabulary under FVR.

i wish i got a chance to join TV POW! i could still remember it..lying down on our sofa me glued on tv shouting POW! POW!

I remember TV POW - daily game show (6pm sa RPN 9) hosted by Dodo Gonzales. I saw Dodo do a cameo in the 2nd season of Grey's Anatomy as a male nurse? utility. He is very active in Filipino Cultural and Arts orgs in NY.

Folks, here's some good news. Tune in to Rock 990 on the AM band. There's classic rock in the morning on Saturdays, Pinoy Rock from noon to 4 p.m. hosted by Howling Dave. Other djs are Bob Magoo, Sleepy John. The format sounds exactly like the old RJ-AM. Check it out. Medyo tunog lata nga lang, but we are back to the 70s, right?

Gosh, AM band pa rin? Can't listen to that on mp3 radio these days...

Btw, can anyone name the artist who sang the title song in my signature?

High 5 to the correct answer... :goatee:

Gosh, AM band pa rin? Can't listen to that on mp3 radio these days...

Btw, can anyone name the artist who sang the title song in my signature?

High 5 to the correct answer... :goatee:

Look at Me, Look at You....

I think that was sung by Marlena Shaw! A personal favorite of mine by the same artist is Rhythm of Love!

Hats off to Pareng Storm, congratulations! Full speed ahead ka na talaga! :thumbsupsmiley: