Back To The 70's

Hi peeps, does anyone remember Gary Bautista? The famous mimic/impersonator of the 70's.

This is just a small tribute to the man, since i've personally met him once during a party in Project-8.

He was tropa of my tropa so to speak, so after all the people in the room are stoned, he would perform

in dim lights mimicking the voices of President Marcos and dozens of other famous voices.

I can still remember how all of us would say " wow pare, ang bigaaat!", "heavy..." the life of the party.

Many years have passed when I was surprised to see him appearing on TV and was proud of him.

Then came Willie Nepumuceno. I don't exacly know what happened but I think Willie has a better talent

manager than Gary. But when it comes to talent I think Gary is better and he is the original. The only thing

that Willie does that Gary did not do is the addition of props, making him a complete performer and thus

deserve the celebrity status.

I forgot the name of that typhoon but I and 2 other school buddies got stuck in a mining town in N. Vizcaya for 2 days

without any electricity.

In the aftermath of that storm, the lowlands were so flooded we had to brave the long ride going to

Cabanatuan City hitching in a 6x6 truck passing through the treacherous mountain roads. 2 long wooden planks

were used to bring the truck over to the other side of the road where a small bridge was awashed by the floods.

Man, that was some adventure! :P :cool:

For me, it was Typhoon Didang back in 1976. Sobrang tindi na one week kaming walang pasok! :cool:

The problem with Didang was that it hovered. It moved westward to the South China Sea...then stopped! Then returned. So we were stuck with those strong winds for days. Yoling was stronger than Didang, but the latter stuck around for much longer.

Hi peeps, does anyone remember Gary Bautista? The famous mimic/impersonator of the 70's.

This is just a small tribute to the man, since i've personally met him once during a party in Project-8.

He was tropa of my tropa so to speak, so after all the people in the room are stoned, he would perform

in dim lights mimicking the voices of President Marcos and dozens of other famous voices.

I can still remember how all of us would say " wow pare, ang bigaaat!", "heavy..." the life of the party.

Many years have passed when I was surprised to see him appearing on TV and was proud of him.

Then came Willie Nepumuceno. I don't exacly know what happened but I think Willie has a better talent

manager than Gary. But when it comes to talent I think Gary is better and he is the original. The only thing

that Willie does that Gary did not do is the addition of props, making him a complete performer and thus

deserve the celebrity status.

Yes , i do, he joined The Society of Seven group based in Hawaii sometimes 1983-1984.I saw him performed in Las vegas with Lani Misalucha. What i like about him, he could do an energetic rendition of anything from broadway to Frank Sinatra.He has ability to change his voice to do other impressions is just uncanny. Unfortunately, last april , he suffered a massive heart attack and passed away.

gary ( second from left)

post-5708-1159761834.jpg

Edited by vergaman

wow... brings back memories of the 70s!

Here is what I remember from those days!

Magic boy cartoon - this was my first anime to see

- A boy, plagued by an evil sorceress, studies magic and uses his powers to defeat her. aka The Adventures of The Little Samurai

http://www.btinternet.com/~shawweb/stephen/cast.jpg

http://www.weirdwildrealm.com/filmimages/magic-boy.jpg

Also, Soylent Green - 1973 science fiction movie starring Charlton Heston, remeber that?

I had to check on this for more info... it was a great film!

Set in the year 2022, the film depicts a dystopia, a Malthusian catastrophe that takes place because humanity has failed to pursue sustainable development and has not halted population growth. New York City's population is 40,000,000, with over half unemployed. Global warming, air and water pollution have produced a year-round heatwave and a thin yellow smog in the daytime. Food and fuel resources are scarce because of animal and plant decimation, housing is dilapidated and overcrowded, and widespread government-sponsored euthanasia is encouraged as a means of reducing overpopulation.

Meat, bread, cheese, fruit, vegetables and even alcoholic beverages are scarce and extremely expensive (example: a six-ounce jar of strawberry jam is 150 "D's", equivalent to $150 US dollars). Farms that produce these foods are heavily guarded and off-limits to civilians (in addition to the factories where soylent products are manufactured). To most people, natural foods are a rarely, if ever, enjoyed luxury. The government dispenses rations of synthetic food substances made by the Soylent Corporation: Soylent Yellow, Soylent Red, and the newest product, Soylent Green, the most popular version derived, according to the firm, from plankton.

Soylent's food products are mostly distributed as brightly-colored crackers which may be eaten with margarine, although they are also seen being sold as bread-like buns and in crumb form. The word "Soylent" is a portmanteau derived from soybeans and lentils (presumably, these are some of the ingredients of soylent's products, both being very high-yielding crops that are cheap to produce).

Specific soylent products are distributed on different days of the week to the populace. However, even the supplies of this are limited and there is much competition between people to get their rations early. Such is the competition that if the supply runs out, rioting is common. To deal with this problem, the distribution centers have a heavy police presence, and they deal with the rioting crowds in a very heavy-handed way using 'scoops' — special vehicles that scoop up people from the crowd and dump them into containers at the back. Such callous treatment is invariably fatal to a portion of the rioters.

Charlton Heston plays Robert Thorn, a New York City police detective who investigates the murder of William R. Simonson (Joseph Cotten), a former member of the board of the Soylent Corporation. Thorn's elderly roommate is Sol Roth (Edward G. Robinson), a onetime college professor, now employed as a police researcher. Unlike most people in the world of the film, including Thorn, Sol had a formal education and is literate; education of any sort at the current time is only available to the wealthy elite. Such people are referred to as 'books' (actual books being largely out of print due to lack of wood to make new paper, a shortage of electricity and printing presses.)

During his investigation of the Simonson murder, Thorn slowly uncovers a strange conspiracy, which would be revealed if he can see what goes on behind closed doors at the euthanasia centers. When an elderly and dispirited Sol opts for euthanasia, Thorn forces his way in to the euthanasia center and makes two shocking discoveries.

First, he sees motion pictures of the beautiful Earth of former times, which are shown only to those about to be euthanized. He is startled and brought to tears when he sees how beautiful the Earth was before it sank to its current state.

Second, when Thorn follows the disposal of Sol's corpse, he discovers that Soylent Green includes the recycled bodies of people who have used government-sponsored euthanasia centers, those killed by "scoop trucks," and those who have knowledge of this form of cannibalism (which Simonson did and Sol later discovered).

Due to the cult popularity of the film, the term 'soylent green', and the movies famous last line, have become something of a catch phrase. "Soylent green is people!"

"Soylent Green" was one of those science-fiction movies that were popular during the early 70s. Charlton Heston also appeared in "The Planet of the Apes" and "The Omega Man" where both movies depicted our world in the aftermath of a nuclear war. Soylent Green was Edward G. Robinson's last movie as he died soon after filming was done.

Charlton Heston is still around. Unfortunately, he's also suffering from Alzheimer's disease (he announced that he has the disease last year) and has retreated from the spotlight.

Edited by willow_boy
"Soylent Green" was one of those science-fiction movies that were popular during the early 70s. Charlton Heston also appeared in "The Planet of the Apes" and "The Omega Man" where both movies depicted our world in the aftermath of a nuclear war. Soylent Green was Edward G. Robinson's last movie as he died soon after filming was done.

Charlton Heston is still around. Unfortunately, he's also suffering from Alzheimer's disease (he announced that he has the disease last year) and has retreated from the spotlight.

One of the best actors of his era...strong and commanding voice. Watched all of his earlier epic movies which included:

1. The Ten Commandments

2. Ben Hur

3. El Cid

almost in the same genre, wasn't "the day after" starring jason robards also released in the 70s?

also a great actor contemporary of charlton heston was gregory peck with his great portrayal of gen. macarthur also released in the 70s?

almost in the same genre, wasn't "the day after" starring jason robards also released in the 70s?

"The Day After" was shown in the 80s. I'm pretty sure about that because I was already out of college when I saw it, I think on the old BBC 2. It created quite a stir. I don't think it was ever released theatrically; I believe it was a made-for-TV movie. Personally, I felt it was rather mild. The devastation from a nuclear war would have been far worse. But it was a good film. That final scene, with Jason Robards crying with a stranger, with a ruined city in the background, was really powerful.

We kept talking about nuclear war during those days, didn't we? A great TV mini-series from the 70s was "World War III" which starred Rock Hudson, David Soul, Brian Kieth and Cathy Lee Crosby. Rock Hudson played the American president, while Brian Kieth played the Soviet head. David Soul played the officer who headed a group pursuing a Soviet group in Alaska. Cathy Lee Crosby ("That's Incredible") was an officer in the American group. I believe that the mini-series also featured David Protsky, who later became a regular in that great TV series "Hill Street Blues." In this mini-series, just before the grenade exploded, the Soviet officer said "This is the end of war," as he and David Soul were about to shake hands.

I'm no film historian, but I believe the mini-series originated from the 70s, with "Rich Man, Poor Man." Other notables were Roots, Captains and the Kings, Holocaust, The Moneychangers, and Wheels. Even "Dallas" began as a six-episode mini-series.

One of the best actors of his era...strong and commanding voice. Watched all of his earlier epic movies which included:

1. The Ten Commandments

2. Ben Hur

3. El Cid

OMG! El Cid... all time favorite! love that movie.. I have yet to see Ben Hur - but I do know it was one of the most expensive movies ever to be made at that time or even up to this time...

Brings back memories of good times. :thumbsupsmiley:

OMG! El Cid... all time favorite! love that movie.. I have yet to see Ben Hur - but I do know it was one of the most expensive movies ever to be made at that time or even up to this time...

Brings back memories of good times. :thumbsupsmiley:

The most memorable Ben-Hur scene for me (sorry pero OT na 'to dahil this movie was from the '50s) was the chariot race scene between Charlton Heston and Stephen Boyd. The action (the stunts and the race itself) was so brilliantly filmed. :cool:

The 70s was also memorable for the "disaster" films that came out such as "The Towering Inferno", the "Airport" movies, and the "The Poseidon Adventure", to name a few. I remember seeing "The Towering Inferno" with my folks at the Quezon Theater in Cubao.

Edited by willow_boy

I remember TOWERING INFERNO.

The last scene(s) left an indelible mark (I actually cried) - yung nagtali yung dalawang bida (na parang na-in love doon) kasi bubuhos na iyong malakas na tubig at baka hindi na sila magkita / mabuhay after. I was not yet even a tweener then but i was moved by that scene.

If i remember right, Faye Dunaway was part of the cast.

I also like the OST "Morning After" sang by Maureen McGovern (yata) or is it Helen Reddy ????

Meron din Movie EARTHQUAKE

of course JAWS ....

sexy movie LIPSTICK - bawal pa ako

CASSANDRA CROSSING

MOBY DICK

I remember TOWERING INFERNO.

The last scene(s) left an indelible mark (I actually cried) - yung nagtali yung dalawang bida (na parang na-in love doon) kasi bubuhos na iyong malakas na tubig at baka hindi na sila magkita / mabuhay after. I was not yet even a tweener then but i was moved by that scene.

If i remember right, Faye Dunaway was part of the cast.

I also like the OST "Morning After" sang by Maureen McGovern (yata) or is it Helen Reddy ????

70's movies, this is still on my memory bank.....................

The Godfather (marlon brando)

The Godfather Part 2 (al pacino)

The Sting...........Robert Redford , Paul Newman

Last Tango In Paris ............marlon brando

Saturday Night Fever..............John Travolta

Patton.........................george scott

M*A*S*H

Julius Caesar..............charlton heston

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest..............jack nicholson

Star Wars

Rocky.......................sylvester stallone

Dog Day Afternoon.................al pacino

Love Story ...............ali mcgraw, r. whiting

Apocalypse Now..................marlon brando

For me, it was Typhoon Didang back in 1976. Sobrang tindi na one week kaming walang pasok! :cool:

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the typhoon's name was Dading :)

Gary Bautista died as he was performing onstage with the SOS and Lani Misalucha. Sabi pa nga hawak pa daw nya yung mike kahit bumagsak na siya sa floor...

....and who would ever miss the Western movies of CLINT EASTWOOD:

1. High Plains Drifter ;)

2. The Outlaw Josie Wales :cool:

... and also his "Dirty Harry" movies such as Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, and The Enforcer. :thumbsupsmiley: :cool:

Aside from these three, there were 2 other "Dirty Harry" movies but they came out in the 80s: Sudden Impact (with the famous line "Go ahead... make my day.") and The Dead Pool.

Edited by willow_boy
correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the typhoon's name was Dading :)

Gary Bautista died as he was performing onstage with the SOS and Lani Misalucha. Sabi pa nga hawak pa daw nya yung mike kahit bumagsak na siya sa floor...

Hello pareng Bods!

Well Dading was in the 60s maybe 1964 or 65. Kwento lang sa akin kasi it's being compared to Yoling.

Gusto kong bumalik sa plaka pero wala naman akong plaka. :( :D

Grabeng mamahal ng mga turntables ngayon.

To all,

Please drop by the OBRA MAESTRA interior design exhibit at the 3rd floor of Greenbelt 1 (sa itaas ng mga sinehan). There's a booth there where some old LPs (Donna Summer, Ray Connif, etc.) are incorporated in the design. :thumbsupsmiley:

You'll find some of my sculptures featured in some of the booths, too. :rolleyes: :hypocritesmiley: