Back To The 70's

You're right Slide, my iPod has 60s, 70s, 80s music as well, mga national anthems natin na walang kakupas-kupas... oooooh, the harder i try, the bluer i get... hey, that's not the way we planned it... i love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow...

Parang ganun lang ka-simple ang buhay noh?

Man, this posting brought back to me a song that I haven't heard for the longest time, "The Harder I Try" by a trio called the Free Movement. It's funny and sad at the same time na there are songs that we hear all the time in the Philippines and kind of take for granted because they're always played on the radio. Pero once we're in another country (US in my case), it takes a posting like the one above for someone like me to realize that there are certain songs I grew up with that I haven't heard played for a very long time.

As trivia and in keeping with the theme of this thread, this song came out in December of 1971. Surfing through the web, I was also surprised to find out that this song is considered a "lost classic" here in the US because it was one of 2 "minor" hits from the said group.

Edited by willow_boy

I was trying to recall where I'd stop to eat on the way to Baguio (or back to Manila) during the 70's, and I'm completely stumped. All I can remember is stopping by Dau (when turned away at Clark) to get "PX" junk food (like Scooter Pies) and wait nalang till I got to Baguio (and have American food at John Hay). The only other regular stop for me was the still-famous Shell station (before you hit Kennon or towards La Union) to fill-up and take a leak. I never had a regular resto to stopover. Even when I took the pantranco...tinulugan ko nalang wherever it stopped. Vilmar, Cindy's....didn't appeal to me. Did I miss something? Anyone?

If that sounds medyo corny, how 'bout this?......Do you prefer John Hay the way it is now?...or the way it was back then when it was still U.S. property? Lots to recall on the latter, diba? :rolleyes:

Bow ako! ANG GAGALING NINYO LAHAT !!!! Thanks to all who gave it a shot!

But may mali pa rin kayo, and I'm still waiting for Pareng Bods, Pinoy Strigoi, and Magaling to answer my 70s Lyric Quiz! Why don't you try it, Starbuck 911? I think you'll make a clean sweep!

I still have more of these, but a bit harder this time...

BTW, favorite singer yata ni Lipstick si "sirit" :thumbsupsmiley:

Storm, naka-ready na yung sounds ko for our next EB!!

I was trying to recall where I'd stop to eat on the way to Baguio (or back to Manila) during the 70's, and I'm completely stumped. All I can remember is stopping by Dau (when turned away at Clark) to get "PX" junk food (like Scooter Pies) and wait nalang till I got to Baguio (and have American food at John Hay). The only other regular stop for me was the still-famous Shell station (before you hit Kennon or towards La Union) to fill-up and take a leak. I never had a regular resto to stopover. Even when I took the pantranco...tinulugan ko nalang wherever it stopped. Vilmar, Cindy's....didn't appeal to me. Did I miss something? Anyone?

If that sounds medyo corny, how 'bout this?......Do you prefer John Hay the way it is now?...or the way it was back then when it was still U.S. property? Lots to recall on the latter, diba? :rolleyes:

I prefer the John Hay of old!!!! The burger, the steak, the chocolate milkshake and ice cream soda. Tsaka ibang crowd before.

Baguio in general was a lot better in the 70s. It's been our favorite sembreak destination :thumbsupsmiley: :cool: :wub: . Lots of fond memories :rolleyes:

But may mali pa rin kayo, and I'm still waiting for Pareng Bods, Pinoy Strigoi, and Magaling to answer my 70s Lyric Quiz! Why don't you try it, Starbuck 911? I think you'll make a clean sweep!

Hahaha, maraming pinasikat si sirit. Ikaw nga, kayang-kaya mong clean sweep. :P Paburn naman ng mga sounds mo.

Pero yung ibang songs ay 60s pa. Wala pa akong malay noon. :hypocritesmiley:

Pareng Storm, with this quiz eating up a lot of space/pages in your thread, it looks like talagang mauuna ka sa "Wine Savvy" mag-blow-out??

If it's my fault, then sagot ko na yung sounds! He, he... :hypocritesmiley:

Dapat siyang mauna. Maraming paliwanag dun sa kabilang thread.

Edited by storm
:D Di man ako old enough to deeskotek in the 70s pero mega audiophile naman ako so pasubok lang ...:

“Something happened along the way and yesterday was all we had." - After The Love Has Gone by EWF

"Can it be that it was all so simple then? Or has time re-written every line?" - Memories by B. Streisand

“We got a thing goin' on." - Me and Mrs. Jones, pero hahaha wiz ko know ang singer!

"I need you by me, beside me, to guide me." - Last Dance by Donna Summer

“They want you as a new recruit!" - YMCA by Village People

"Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear." - Sing A Song by the Carpenters

"I think it was the 4th Of July." - sirit!

"I close my eyes. Only for the moment then the moment's gone." - sirit!

"And they were dancin' and singin' and movin' to the groovin'." - Play That Funky Music, sirit sa singer

“This song is for you, filled with gratitude and love. God bless you!" - You Make Me Feel Brand New by The Stylistics

“So please believe me, my heart is in your hands. And I'll be missing you." - Babe I Love You, Styx ... ?

"You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one." - Imagine by John Lennon

"I believe in miracles, since you came along." - You Sexy Thing , sirit sa singer

"Are we in love? Or just friends? Is this my beginning? Or is this the end?!" - When Will I See You Again by err sirit!

"and you flew your Lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun" - Afternoon Delight? sirit!

"The night is young, and full of possibilities." - sirit!

"I really want to see you. I really want to be with you." - My Sweet Lord by George Harrison

"So I'd like to know where you got the notion." - Rock the Boat, sirit sa singer

Well, I know it's kind of late. I hope I didn't wake you." Spending The Night Together by Captian Hook ... ?

"When I was young, I never needed anyone. Making love was just for fun, those days are gone." - All By Myself, sirit sa singer

"My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim. I had to stop for the night." - sirit

"I wanna hold you 'til I die, 'til we both break down and cry." - Sometimes When We Touch, sirit sa singer

“You grew up right in the subways, running with people, up in Harlem, down on Broadway” - Native New Yorker/New York City Girl, sirit sa singer

"Stay with me while we grow old and we will live each day in the springtime." - Loving You by Minnie Ripperton

“Will you disappear from the earth just like Atlantis did?” - City Of Angels, sirit sa singer

“Conventionality belongs to yesterday." - sirit!

"Satisfaction came in a chain reaction." - sirit!

"Who can make a sunrise? Sprinkle it with dew." - The Candy Man, sirit sa singer

"I tried hard to forget it but I know my mind won't let it." - I Just Wanna Stop by Gino Vanelli

“All right now, go! Walk out the door!" - I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor

"There's one perfect fit and, sugar, this one is it." - Reunited by Peaches and Herb

"Loving both of you is breaking all the rules." - Torn Betwen Two Lovers by Francine Nightingale something?

"Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore." - So Far Away by Carly Simon

"I know it's late. I know you're weary. I know your plans don't include me." - sirit!

"I will never, no, no, never love again." - The Love I Lost by Sybil

"Grow apple trees and honey bees and snow-white turtle doves." - I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing, sirit sa singer

"These little town blues are melting away." - New York, New York by Frank Sinatra (Liza Minelli has a version too)

"You come on like a dream, peaches and cream, lips like strawberry wine." - sirit!

"Riding out on a horse in a star-spangled rodeo." - sirit!

"Voulez-vous coucher avec moi." - Lady Marmalade, sirit sa singer

“The words will never show the you I’ve come to know” - If by Bread?

"He takes a ladder, steals the stars from the sky, puts on Sinatra and starts to cry." - sirit!

“We can try to understand the New York Times’ effect on man.” - Stayin' Alive by the BeeGees

“Electricity starts to flow and my indicator starts to glow.” - sirit!

“Half of us are satisfied, half of us in need” - Harvest For The World by the Isley Brothers[/i]

“I don’t think that I can take it, ‘cause it took so long to bake it.” - and this is my dad's absolutest fave Donna Summer song! McArthur's Park!

"Spirits rise and their dance is unrehearsed" - Evergreen by Barbara Streisand (ka duet ba si Barry dito?).

"Please tell me yes, and don’t say no, honey, not tonight." - Love Won't Let Me Wait by sirit!

:lol: Kinarir! Hello to the '70s afficionados and thanks for letting me make kalat here :) I just couldn't resist. :blush:

Fill in the blanks ko yung mga sirit! ni Lipstick:

"I close my eyes. Only for the moment then the moment's gone." - Dust in the Wind - Kansas

"And they were dancin' and singin' and movin' to the groovin'." - Play That Funky Music, by Taylor Hicks, este White Chocolate pala

"I believe in miracles, since you came along." - You Sexy Thing , Hot Chocolate

"Are we in love? Or just friends? Is this my beginning? Or is this the end?!" - When Will I See You Again by The 3 Degrees!

"and you flew your Lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun" - You're so Vain, Carly Simon

"So I'd like to know where you got the notion." - Rock the Boat, Hues Factory yata

"When I was young, I never needed anyone. Making love was just for fun, those days are gone." - All By Myself, Eric Carmen

"My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim. I had to stop for the night." - Hotel California (Eagles)

"I wanna hold you 'til I die, 'til we both break down and cry." - Sometimes When We Touch, Dan Hill

“Conventionality belongs to yesterday." - Grease...ni Frankie Valli

"Who can make a sunrise? Sprinkle it with dew." - The Candy Man, sus si Dammy Davis Jr ito dba?? Ang tagal na nito :-)

"I know it's late. I know you're weary. I know your plans don't include me." - hmmmmm We Got Tonight by Bob Seager and the Silver Bullet Band

"You come on like a dream, peaches and cream, lips like strawberry wine." - Ringo Starr ito....uuuuhh.....You're 16

"Riding out on a horse in a star-spangled rodeo." - Si Glen Campbell, Rhinestne Cowboy

"He takes a ladder, steals the stars from the sky, puts on Sinatra and starts to cry." - On and On

songs i always hear on the radio nuong musmus pa ako :boo:

1. reunited - peaches & herbs

2. my fair share - seals & croft

3. babe - styx

4. give me the night - george benson

5. the winner takes it all - abba

6. hopelessly devoted to you - olivia newton john

7. please don't go - kc & the sunshine band

8. we're all alone - boz scaggs

9. don't cry for me argentina - sarah brightman

10. i don't wanna lose you -spinners

WOW! Looks like we have the 70s lyric quiz practically completed now, so here are the answers:

“Something happened along the way and yesterday was all we had." "After the Love is Gone" Earth, Wind & Fire

"Can it be that it was all so simple then? Or has time re-written every line?" "The Way We Were" Barbara Streisand (puede rin si Rico J. :P )

We got a thing goin' on." "Me and Mrs. Jones" Billy Paul

"I need you, by me, beside me to guide me." "Last Dance" Donna Summer

They want you as a new recruit!!!" "In The Navy" Village People

"Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear." "Sing" The Carpenters

"I think it was the 4th Of July." "Saturday In The Park" Chicago

"I close my eyes. Only for the moment then the moment's gone." "Dust in the Wind" Kansas

"And they were dancin' and singin' and movin' to the groovin'." "Play That Funky Music" Wild Cherry

This song is for you, filled with gratitude and love. God bless you!" "You Make Me Feel Brand New" The Stylistics

So please believe me, my heart is in your hands. And I'll be missing you." "Babe" Styx

"You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one." "Imagine" John Lennon

"I believe in miracles, since you came along." "You Sexy Thing" Hot Chocolate

"Are we in love? Or just friends? Is this my beginning? Or is this the end?!" "When Will I See You Again?" Three Degrees

"And you flew your Lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun" "You're so Vain" Carly Simon

"The night is young -- and full of possibilities." "Ring My Bell" Anita Ward

"I really want to see you. I really want to be with you." "My Sweet Lord" George Harrison

"So I'd like to know where you got the notion." "Rock the Boat" The Hues Corp.

"Well, I know it's kind of late. I hope I didn't wake you." "I have to Say I Love You in a Song" Jim Croce

"When I was young, I never needed anyone. Making love was just for fun, those days are gone." "All By Myself" Eric Carmen

"My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim. I had to stop for the night." "Hotel California" Eagles

"I wanna hold you 'til I die, 'til we both break down and cry." "Sometimes When We Touch" Dan Hill

“You grew up riding the subways, running with people, up in Harlem, down on Broadway” “Native New Yorker” Odyssey

"Stay with me while we grow old and we will live each day in the springtime." "Lovin' You" Minnie Ruperton

“Will you disappear from the earth just like Atlantis did?” “City Of Angels” The Miracles

“Conventionality belongs to yesterday." "Grease" Frankie Valli

"Satisfaction came in a chain reaction." "Disco Inferno" The Trammps

"Who can make a sunrise? Sprinkle it with dew." "The Candy Man" Sammy Davis Jr.

"I tried hard to forget it but I know my mind won't let it." "I Just Wanna Stop" Gino Vannelli

All right now, go!! Walk out the door!!" "I Will Survive" Gloria Gaynor

"There's one perfect fit and, sugar, this one is it." "Reunited" Peaches & Herb

"Loving both of you is breaking all the rules." "Torn Between Two Lovers" Mary MacGregor

"Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore." "So Far Away" Carole King

"I know it's late. I know you're weary. I know your plans don't include me." "We've Got Tonight" Bob Seger & Silver Bullet Band

"I will never, no, no, never love again." "The Love I Lost" Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes (or Sybil)

"Grow apple trees and honey bees and snow-white turtle doves." "I'd Like to Teach The World to Sing" The New Seekers

"These little town blues are melting away." "New York, New York" Frank Sinatra

"You come on like a dream, peaches and cream, lips like strawberry wine." "You're Sixteen" Ringo Starr

"Riding out on a horse in a star-spangled rodeo." "Rhinestone Cowboy" Glen Campbell

"Voulez-vous coucher avec moi." "Lady Marmalade" Labelle

“The words will never show the you I’ve come to know” “If” Bread

"He takes a ladder, steals the stars from the sky, puts on Sinatra and starts to cry." "On and On" Steven Bishop

“We can try to understand the New York Times’ effect on man.” “Staying Alive” Bee Gees

“Electricity starts to flow and my indicator starts to glow.” “Love Machine” The Miracles

“Half of us are satisfied, half of us in need” “Harvest For The World” Isley Bros.

“I don’t think that I can take it, ‘cause it took so long to bake it.” “McArthur Park” The Four Tops (or Donna Summer)

"Spirits rise and their dance is unrehearsed" “Theme from Evergreen” Barbra Streisand

“Please tell me yes, and don’t say no, honey, not tonight” “Love Won’t Let me Wait” Major Harris

Napabilib mo ako, Mama Lipstick, you knew the one from "Harvest for the World" of the Isley Bros. And I thought that was hard! :thumbsupsmiley:

Thanks to all, I hope you had fun!

Edited by liberty
The trouble with my handle being the popular X-Men character and my avatar at the same time is that a lot of people here thought I'm a woman or maybe a lesbian. :lol:

The truth about the handle is that my first company has "storm" in it and my favorite bowling ball then was my Storm El Niño.

Ooops..my bad..

The white castle ladies wore red 2 piece string bikinis.

This would feature the latest starlet. I remember Lorna Tolentino filling this role.

I just wonder what band/albums to do you have/had

I had then

KISS - Kiss Alive I/Kiss Alive 2, Kiss Unmasked, Kiss Killers

Nazareth - Gretast hits, 2XS

Led Zeppelin - Greatest hits / Collection

Rod Stewart

Queen

I have the following:

Eagles - Greatest Hits Vols. 1 and 2

Seals and Crofts - Greatest Hits

A Decade of Steely Dan

America - Greatest Hits

Bread - The Best of Bread

Bee Gees - Greatest Hits

ABBA - Greatest Hits

Commodores - Love Songs, Greatest Hits

Stylistics - Greatest Hits

Blue Magic - Greatest Hits

The Police - Every Breath You Take (Greatest Hits)

The Who - The Ultimate Collection

Paul McCartney & Wings - Wings' Greatest

John Lennon - Imagine, John Lennon Collection

Rod Stewart - Greatest Hits

Queen - Greatest Hits

Carole King - Greatest Hits

James Taylor - Greatest Hits

Earth, Wind, and Fire

Stevie Wonder - Greatest Hits

Carly Simon - Greatest Hits

Yoyoy Villame - Yoyoy's Golden Hits, A Romantic Evening with Yoyoy

Biro lang po iyong huling entry. :D

Edited by willow_boy

Wow i remember the others that we had

Abba, America _ Greatest Hits

Biro din on 8-track stero:

Claire Dela Fuente

Didith Reyes

Yoyoy Villame

Victor Wood

I have the following:

Eagles - Greatest Hits Vols. 1 and 2

Seals and Crofts - Greatest Hits

A Decade of Steely Dan

America - Greatest Hits

Bread - The Best of Bread

Bee Gees - Greatest Hits

ABBA - Greatest Hits

Commodores - Love Songs, Greatest Hits

Stylistics - Greatest Hits

Blue Magic - Greatest Hits

The Police - Every Breath You Take (Greatest Hits)

The Who - The Ultimate Collection

Paul McCartney & Wings - Wings' Greatest

John Lennon - Imagine, John Lennon Collection

Rod Stewart - Greatest Hits

Queen - Greatest Hits

Carole King - Greatest Hits

James Taylor - Greatest Hits

Earth, Wind, and Fire

Stevie Wonder - Greatest Hits

Carly Simon - Greatest Hits

Yoyoy Villame - Yoyoy's Golden Hits, A Romantic Evening with Yoyoy

Biro lang po iyong huling entry. :D

Looks like I logged on too late. A quiz like this won't stay unanswered for very long what with an avid 70s crowd like we have here in this thread. :cool: Sure enough, mukhang nasagot na lahat by this time. Yung iba, nakalimutan ko na rin nga actually. Hehehe... But I still look forward to the next round B)

speaking of Bert Tawa, aside from his Isang platitong Mani , he had also an ad where he says, Pupulbusin ko and dibdib mo!

I can't recall for what product that was....

That was also from a San Miguel beer commercial. If memory serves me right, the plot and dialogue went like this:

Bert facing the camera says: "Kapag ito (pointing at the door) hindi nagbayad ng utang, pupulbusin ko ang dibdib (sabay suntok sa palad parang siga). Then he walks towards the door and bangs while shouting "Bruno!!!! Lumabas ka diyan!!!Kapag hindi ka nagbayad ng utang mo pupulbusin ko ang....." The thug (played by Amang Buwaya) opens the door, Bert's face is pressed on his chest as he answers in a loud and defiant voice "Ano!?!?" Sabay tingin paitaas sa kanya si Bert at sinabi "Mag-beer muna tayo!" complete with his trademark Bulakeno accent... Next scene, nagiinuman na sila with background music playing "Mag-beer muna tayo...mag beer muna tayo..."

Edited by Magaling

Not mine

Max Surban

Reycards (Rey and Karding Kabayo)

Pilita Corales

Ehto my Aunt's

VST and Company

Boyfriends (Pinoy Bee Gees)

Hagibis (Pinoy Village People)

Sa Dance naman

Aldeguer Sisters

Archie Lacson

Talk show host

Joe Quirino - Take it Away "OK ngarud"

Inday Badiday

Wala kang Eva Eugenio, Imelda Papin, Big 3 Sullivans, Tarzan and Baby Jane, and the "King" himself: Eddie Peregrina? :D :P :D
:D Di man ako old enough to deeskotek in the 70s pero mega audiophile naman ako so pasubok lang ...:

:lol: Kinarir! Hello to the '70s afficionados and thanks for letting me make kalat here :) I just couldn't resist. :blush:

And who said you're old? Had you not mentioned you were an audiophile mas mapapaniwala mo kami na VIDEOKE QUEEN :P ka talaga!!!!

Speaking of videoke, I would like to confirm once and for all that I am not the person who was shot in a San Juan videoke some weeks back. :D Some friends got worried when they heard my name on the radio. Some of them really thought, that "My Way" finally got me.

Edited by masi