Back To The 70's

Good Morning to ALL  :)

Ny favorite movie in the 70's was TOWERING INFERNO any info you can share about this?  and also EXORCIST ?

Hi Augustmoon!

Here's a brief summary of TOWERING INFERNO I got from another source

Construction magnate Jim Duncan (Holden) has teamed with architect Doug Roberts (Newman) to build a 135-storey structure named 'The Glass Tower' in San Francisco. On opening night, many dignitaries including a U.S. Senator, San Francisco's Mayor & his wife and others are celebrating in the ballroom/restaurant on the top floor. On the 81st floor, in a utility room, an overloaded circuit breaker starts a fire in a can of oily rags. While the party is still going on, Roberts is inspecting the wiring in the building and discovers it is very low standard - a serious fire hazard. In the Security HQ, a guard, Jernigan (Simpson) spots smoke crawling out from under a door, and activates the alarm. The San Francisco Fire Department immediately comes out, with Chief O'Hallorhan (McQueen) commanding. By now fires are starting all over the building, and the enraged Duncan discovers that his son-in-law, Simmons (Chamberlain) is the one who chose the cheaper wiring to save money. As the night goes on the fire races closer and closer to those trapped in the Tower, until the Chief discovers that detonating the water tanks above them will likely drown the fire - but will it k*ll the remaining men trapped inside?

Remember that incredibly suspenseful moment in The Towering Inferno when they all strapped themselves to brace for the blast? The direction was really great, focusing on the worried faces of Fred Astaire, William Holden, Paul Newman, and Steve McQueen. There was also a very poignant moment earlier in the film...that was when Robert Wagner (It Takes a Thief) died when he and his lover were trapped in a lower floor. Who else was in the film? Robert Vaughn (The Man from UNCLE), Jennifer Jones (The Song of Bernadette), Richard Chamberlain (The Thornbirds, Shogun), OJ Simpson (Naked Gun), and Faye Dunaway (Bonnie & Clyde, Network). Those were the days of "all-star cast" movies.

My Top 10 personal signs of growing old:

1) I do the hiring in the company I work in. I actually read a resume of an applicant whose father is as old as I am.

2) I never knew the day would come. An applicant is literally half my age.

3) When going out, my college buddies would still ogle some cute girls, and I'd say, "pare ang babata naman nyan"!

4) I can only stay an hour in a noisy bar.

5) It's rise and shine for me at 5:50AM. It's Sunday.

6) I nag my son about doing well in school because it's "for his own good".

7) I drive a sedate 70kph on a traffic free hiway.

8) I listen to Deo Macalma and DZRH on the AM radio every morning drive to work.

9) I actually worry about work I'm not attending to when on vacation.

10) I can't stand hip-hop music.

For me, wala na akong kilala sa mga banda ngayon. Clueless would

be the right term. My daughter knows about them a lot more, then

I'd be wondering where in the hell she got to know about them.

And she's only 9.

Also i tend to linger more in the "Best of" section sa mga record stores.

Do they still actually say "Record Store?"

heheheh.. not quite, if I may. :)

I still play it loud -- and just like Sliderule, I really can't stand HipHop. Matter of fact, I have my CD player hooked up on a 2X250 Behringer PA with digital signal processors going out to Two 15 inchers... :boo:

Sign you're getting old.

"If it's too loud, you're too old."

Edited by 16track

Who can ever forget the Excorcist?

The Excorcist. Scary movie--- an even more frightening book. My father had the novel on top of his night table and I asked him if I could read it. He mumbled his ok and I took the better part of 5 days whole week to finish. I was 15 years old and it was the very first book I had ever read in my entire life.

Immediately after that book, going to the toilet in the middle of the night became quite an experience as I kind of became aware of floor boards creaking, the wind blowing, looking behind my back and all that stuff. CreepY!

I still have that book with me and I have not read it since that time.

Linda Blair played the character of possessed Regan in the movie to perfection!

I knew I was getting old when I turned to classical music. But at the time I was just about turning 30. I've been hooked on classical music ever since. Classical music can be really enjoyable when loud...as when performed by a full orchestra or a string quartet. Absolutely beautiful.

I hate hip-hop, too.

I also knew I was getting old when I began my "War with the Flies."

Who can ever forget the Excorcist?

The Excorcist. Scary movie--- an even more frightening book. My father had the novel on top of his night table and I asked him if I could read it. He mumbled his ok and I took the better part of 5 days whole week to finish.  I was 15 years old and it was the very first book I had ever read in my entire life.

Immediately after that book, going to the toilet in the middle of the night became quite an experience as I kind of became aware of floor boards creaking, the wind blowing, looking behind my back and all that stuff.  CreepY!

I still have that book with me and I have not read it since that time.

Linda Blair played the character of possessed Regan in the movie to perfection!

I read the novel as well. But the book I read was published (or reprinted) after the film was released, so there were photos of some movie scenes. I remember that scene with Regan with one arm up, with the demon Kazuzu in the background.

When "The Exorcist" was released, everyone in our school kept saying (often in jest), "The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you!" because it was one of those scenes shown in the trailer. At the time, we were still too young to see the film. "For Aduts Only."

By the way, did you guys see the re-release (they called it the "director's cut") of "The Exorcist"? That "spider" scene on the the staircase was great. Also, there were lingering images of the demon in Regan's bedroom that weren't there in the 70s film. I just didn't like the denouement in the "director's cut." It took too long. The original denouement was better.

Hi Augustmoon!

Here's a brief summary of TOWERING INFERNO I got from another source

Construction magnate Jim Duncan (Holden) has teamed with architect Doug Roberts (Newman) to build a 135-storey structure named 'The Glass Tower' in San Francisco. On opening night, many dignitaries including a U.S. Senator, San Francisco's Mayor & his wife and others are celebrating in the ballroom/restaurant on the top floor. On the 81st floor, in a utility room, an overloaded circuit breaker starts a fire in a can of oily rags. While the party is still going on, Roberts is inspecting the wiring in the building and discovers it is very low standard - a serious fire hazard. In the Security HQ, a guard, Jernigan (Simpson) spots smoke crawling out from under a door, and activates the alarm. The San Francisco Fire Department immediately comes out, with Chief O'Hallorhan (McQueen) commanding. By now fires are starting all over the building, and the enraged Duncan discovers that his son-in-law, Simmons (Chamberlain) is the one who chose the cheaper wiring to save money. As the night goes on the fire races closer and closer to those trapped in the Tower, until the Chief discovers that detonating the water tanks above them will likely drown the fire - but will it k*ll the remaining men trapped inside?

Yes I remember the story... TOWERING INFERNO also had a song sa OST na that beacme famous ...I am not sure, parang Maureen McGovern yata...and the some says something like ...""We may never love loke this again...dont stop the flow...so we may know...?????""

What is the 70's movie that had Ï AM WOMAN song of Helen Reddy in its OST ???

JT / 16 Track, Slide and all others , Can you kindly name some famous 70's Movies and the famous songs (and artist too) from their OST ?

example :::::: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - "Raindrops keep falling on my Head"

Thanks in advance.

Good morning to all and Happy weekend.

Yes I remember the story... TOWERING INFERNO also had a song sa OST  na that beacme famous ...I am not sure, parang Maureen McGovern yata...and the some says something like ...""We may never love loke this again...dont stop the flow...so we may know...?????""

Maureen McGovern also appeared in the film. Maureen McGovern's other big hit was "Morning After" from "The Poseidon Adventure," but she didn't appear in the film.

Other wonderful songs and themes from 70s films, excluding those from musicals:

"Love Story"

"The flight of the wild Geese" (from The Wild Geese)

"Speak Softly Love" (from The Godfather, although the film featured only the music, no lyrics)

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (from Play Misty for Me)

"I'm ready to take the chance again" (from Foul Play)

"Live and Let Die"

The theme from "Enter the Dragon"

"Staying Alive" (from Saturday Night Fever)

"Gonna Fly Now" (from Rocky)

"My Fair Share" (from One on One)

And if I may include something from the 60s, that's the love theme from "Dr. Zhivago." The film itself has a great soundtrack.

Another great one from the 60s was "Moonriver" from "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

Edited by jt2003
Maureen McGovern also appeared in the film. Maureen McGovern's other big hit was "Morning After" from "The Poseidon Adventure," but she didn't appear in the film. 

Other wonderful songs and themes from 70s films, excluding those from musicals:

"Love Story"

"The flight of the wild Geese" (from The Wild Geese)

"Speak Softly Love" (from The Godfather, although the film featured only the music, no lyrics)

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (from Play Misty for Me)

"I'm ready to take the chance again" (from Foul Play)

"Live and Let Die"

The theme from "Enter the Dragon"

"Staying Alive" (from Saturday Night Fever)

"Gonna Fly Now" (from Rocky)

"My Fair Share" (from One on One)

And if I may include something from the 60s, that's the love theme from "Dr. Zhivago." The film itself has a great soundtrack.

Another great one from the 60s was "Moonriver" from "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

Thanks JT for the indo...for time there It felt like I was listening to my parents pLayList :) :) :)

Theme from Ice Castles, this is the song always sung in amateur singing contests..... Looking Thru the Eyes of Love

Theme from "Shaft" - instrumental

And of course all the teeny-bopper movies of Sharon then had their own chart breaking hits (80's na?).

Sa Musicals:

Grease - Greased Lightning, Summer Nights, Hopelessly Devoted to You, You're the One that I Want ("I got chills, they're multiplyin' and I'm losin' control") and the ending song, "We go together like shabadaba.... that's the way it should be" (can't remember the title)

Saturday Night Fever also had Staying Alive, Night Fever, You Should be Dancing, Disco Inferno, More Than a Woman (Bee Gees and Tavares), How Deep is Your Love, and many more.

During that time sulit talaga pag bumili ka ng LP ng OST kasi madaming songs ang nagiging hits.

Yup, I liked Foul Play with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase. Ready to Take a Chance Again sung by Barry Manilow was playing while Goldie Hawn was driving on a steep winding road with ocean waves crashing on jagged rocks below. San Francisco?

Beautiful!!!

Theme from Ice Castles, this is the song always sung in amateur singing contests..... Looking Thru the Eyes of Love

And of course all the teeny-bopper movies of Sharon then had their own chart breaking hits (80's na?).

Sa Musicals:

Grease - Greased Lightning, Summer Nights, Hopelessly Devoted to You, You're the One that I Want ("I got chills, they're multiplyin' and I'm losin' control") and the ending song, "We go together like shabadaba.... that's the way it should be" (can't remember the title)

Saturday Night Fever also had Staying Alive, Night Fever, You Should be Dancing, Disco Inferno, More Than a Woman (Bee Gees and Tavares), How Deep is Your Love, and many more.

During that time sulit talaga pag bumili ka ng LP ng OST kasi madaming songs ang nagiging hits.

Yup, I liked Foul Play with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase. Ready to Take a Chance Again sung by Barry Manilow was playing while Goldie Hawn was driving on a steep winding road with ocean waves crashing on jagged rocks below. San Francisco?

Beautiful!!!

Sa Musicals:

Beautiful!!!

Speaking of "Foul Play," this film made the late Dudley Moore a star. He was involved in the funniest moments, particularly that "Staying Alive" scene in his apartment and that hilarious scene at the massage parlor. Goldie Hawn was already a star by the time, having already won an Oscar. Chevy Chase, on the other hand, was already popular because of SNL. But it was really Dudley Moore who made us laugh in that film.

The chase sequence was great. In that sequence, the cowboy kept saying "Far out." That was something that the late John Denver used to say, especially when he accepted his Grammies.

Speaking of John Denver, remember that song "Sunshine" from a movie (was it a TV movie?) of the same title about a woman dying from cancer?

I remember how "Sunshine" as it was played over the radio had a lead-up featuring lines from the film. Those were lines from the Cristina Raines character who anguished over leaving her family. "Who's gonna clean the toilet?" It was all about who's going to do this or that... all those things she did for her family. It was so touching because even at the prospect of dying, she was thinking of her family. I believe the husband was played by Cliff de Young.

Edited by jt2003
Remember that incredibly suspenseful moment in The Towering Inferno when they all strapped themselves to brace for the blast?  The direction was really great, focusing on the worried faces of Fred Astaire, William Holden, Paul Newman, and Steve McQueen.  There was also a very poignant moment earlier in the film...that was when Robert Wagner (It Takes a Thief) died when he and his lover were trapped in a lower floor.  Who else was in the film?  Robert Vaughn (The Man from UNCLE), Jennifer Jones (The Song of Bernadette), Richard Chamberlain (The Thornbirds, Shogun), OJ Simpson (Naked Gun), and Faye Dunaway (Bonnie & Clyde, Network).  Those were the days of "all-star cast" movies.

That was the era of disaster movies, mostly directed by Irwin Allen who also produced the 60s/70s TV classics Voyage to the Bootom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants. Ocean Liners capsizing (Poseidon), fires (Towring Inferno), plane crashed (Airport), Earthquakes (yun na nga). I thought they started running out of calamities when they made 'Swarm' which was about an attack of killer bees. Disaster movies made a comeback in the 90s though when special effects enabled filmakers to stretch their creativity, mostly on freak forces of nature naman. How many times have they blown up New York city (ID4, Godzilla, Armaggedon, Day after tomorrow) ?

JT, I feel the same way about that scene you described. Among the actors in that movie, si Robert Wagner kasi yung most recognizable, and this was due to that old TV series whose name I forget. Robert Vaughn din, and I think he died in that film too.

Kainis pa dati when you try to watch a blockbuster, you eagerly buy a ticket, you enter the orchestra section, and all you see are heads of standing people because there are no more seats available! So pay extra ka to transfer sa Balcony...puno din! And yuck! Several times I had to sit on the floor and accidentally touched all sorts of nasty things...ugh....

Kung sabagay how much were tickets then? P2.50? This is a fact : sometime in the 70's, Filipinos actually landed in the Guiness Book of World Records as the nationality that watches the most number of movies in a year. Mura kasi ng tickets natin. Double feature pa....hehehe

For me, wala na akong kilala sa mga banda ngayon. Clueless would

be the right term. My daughter knows about them a lot more, then

I'd be wondering where in the hell she got to know about them.

And she's only 9.

Also i tend to linger more in the "Best of" section sa mga record stores.

Do they still actually say "Record Store?"

I mean listen to a hit rap song now. All you hear is a monotonous drum machine and some rappers voice, no melody, just pure beat. At least yung 'Rapper's Delight' ng Sugar Hill Gang, recognizable yung riff - yun ba ang tawag dun Bods? 'riff' ? ('Good Times' by Chic). Tone Loc and Will Smith's hits were at least funny. But take any record of Eminem...I mean it sounds like he's making up the "lyrics" as he goes by, and they don't even rhyme...haaay naku generation gap na lang siguro talaga.

And they use such explicit lyrics! Their being former drug dealers (50 cent) or having criminal records (Snoop Doggy Dog ba yun? whattaname) actually ADD to their "appeal".

Dutchman, don't forget we also tend to linger in the 'old classics' section hehehe. Try going to Makati Cinema Square. There's a shop there (Bods also frequents this store) in the same level as the Bingo place where this guy has this incredible collection of old LPs which he can burn for you in a CD for a fee of course. Kind of reminds me of the old days when I would go to Stop and Shop (Mother's) in Sta Mesa and have albums 'taped' for me in C-90 cassettes.

JT, I feel the same way about that scene you described. Among the actors in that movie, si Robert Wagner kasi yung most recognizable, and this was due to that old TV series whose name I forget. Robert Vaughn din, and I think he died in that film too.

Aside from "It takes a thief," the other popular TV series that Robert Wagner starred in was "Hart to Hart" with Stephanie Powers. And yes, Robert Vaughn died in The Towering Inferno when he and a few others tried to get Richard Chamberlain off that hanging chair that was being used to transport people to the nearest building. I believe Robert Vaughn played a senator in the film.

Perhaps he wouldn't have died had Ilya Kuryakin been around. Remember him? He was Napoleon Solo's partner in "The Man from UNCLE." I believe the actor's name was David McCallum. He also starred in a 70s series called "The Invisible Man."

Edited by jt2003