Free Legal Advice

Butsoy

happened to us a few years ago. may tinerminate kaming contract na walang 30 day notice.

talo kami.... what should be done daw as per the DOLE is dapat inabsorb muna namin until the end of the 30 day period or sinuwelduhan namin ng isang buwan pa, maski hindi na sya nagrereport.

to answer your questions:

a. yes

b. should be company B dahil sila ang nakikipag coordinate sa iyo.

c. yes.

Hi sir,

Thank you for your repsonse. I have double checked my contract and unfortunately, it does not state something about a 30 day notice.

Would I still have a chance in my complaint kung hindi naka state ung 30 day notice?

Hi, I'm almost 35 and I have a full time job. But I'm thinking of taking law school, will I still be able to practice or will I be too old to be shifting to a new profession? Any schools that is of note for weekend or night time classes as I still need to work to pay for the tuition?

it's never too late.

schools which cater to working people are

up,ateneo, arellano,lyceum, and feu.

1. It is stated in my contract (from company B) that I should be informed at least 1 month prior to my end of contract. Since I they were not able to inform me, would I have a chance to win if I file a case?

Ayun kay google: happened to us a few years ago. may tinerminate kaming contract na walang 30 day notice. talo kami.

hindi ko lang alam kung ano talaga ang contract na involved sa case ni google, but I am assuming that sa kaso nila, either open-ended (walang fixed na period) ang contract OR tinerminate nila ang contract BEFORE its termination date. In those kinds of cases, the 30-day notice becomes important, dahil hindi alam nung tao na tatapusin na pala yung kontrata niya, biglaan baga.

Sa kaso mo, 6-months lang ang contract mo. Mula sa simula, alam mo na kung kelan matatapos ang contract mo, hindi ka na kailangang i-inform kung kelan ito matatapos, kung kaya't ano ang basehan ng claim mo na di mo alam na ma-teterminate ang contract mo.

1a. I have double checked my contract and unfortunately, it does not state something about a 30 day notice.

Mas malala, wala palang sinasabi sa contract mo na kailangan ng 30-day notice (dahil nga, hindi ka na kailangan bigyan ng notice because nakalagay na nga kung hanggang kailan lang ang contract mo), kung kaya't wala ka talagang basehan para humingi ng daños.

2. and who should i file a case against? In company B for not following up from Company A about my status on the 5th month?

Assuming na magkakaso ka pa rin, Company B, dahil ito ang employer mo (at kalimitan, sa Master Agreement ng agency mo (Company B) sa principal (Company A), mayroong clause na nagsasabi na lahat ng claim ay sagutin lamang ng Company B (non-liability at indemnification clause), at kung hindi man, ay babayaran ni Company B.

3. Would I be able to demand at least 1 month salary compensation for not being able inform me as my contract stated?

Nope.

Hi sir,

Thank you for your repsonse. I have double checked my contract and unfortunately, it does not state something about a 30 day notice.

Would I still have a chance in my complaint kung hindi naka state ung 30 day notice?

Edited by rocco69

Hi sir,

my take..... your contract is silent on this.... so walang laban, ika nga.

yung sa amin kasi is meron.

hi good am...the company terminated our union officials(we are under CBA nego)because of article 282 of labor code as basis..illegal strike...here is what happened..last april 9,,90% of the regular employees who are union members did not report for work even though the management have in many instances informed the employees that they are being required to work on that day..all premiums as mandated by law is to be given and cited ART..94 of labor code as basis...in reality some union official indeed talk to its members asking or in a indirect manner telling the member not to report for work that day(april 9) and in the coming holidays(april 17/19) citing that we are in the process of cba nego and that we must show unity..like i mentioned above,come april 9,90% of workers did not report for work,,next day he management issued ES or explanation slip to those employees asking for their reason,,union official initially told members to right under protest on their ES,after some time asked the members to give them their ES so that its the union officials that will answer,but then again after some time officials return said ES to members advising them to just give the real reason for not reporting to work on the said date. Come April 17 and 19, 75% of employees still did not report for work. Come May 5, management terminates union officials on the grounds of illegal strike. The termination was effective on the very same day.

Questions:

1. Does the company have a basis for terminating said officials?

2. Was due process observed or followed in the termination procedure?

3. Will this affect the existence of the union? The current CBA negotiation?

Technically I assume that since the officials were terminated and can be considered as no longer employees of the company, therefore they can no longer be considered members and officials of the union. Am I correct in assuming this? Right now these terminated officials continue to orchestrate and give instructions to members regarding activities and mobilizations. Should they still be followed by the union members? The terminated officials whose term of office will end this September still did not file a case against the company to the Department of Labor.

maraming empleyado po sa aming company are now being questioned by hr on their attendance and performance, pinagpa-file po ng resignation letter and not terminating them, tama po ba ito, ano po ang laban ng mga empleyado, marami po sa kanila ay waiting nalang for their retirement kc more than 20 yrs na silang in service pero ito po ang ginagawa sa kanila para di sila bayaran, if they are terminated kung sakaling di sila magpasa ng resignation letter, may makukuha pa rin po ba silang separation pay? tia

<br />maraming empleyado po sa aming company are now being questioned by hr on their attendance and performance, pinagpa-file po ng resignation letter and not terminating them, tama po ba ito, ano po ang laban ng mga empleyado, marami po sa kanila ay waiting nalang for their retirement kc more than 20 yrs na silang in service pero ito po ang ginagawa sa kanila para di sila bayaran, if they are terminated kung sakaling di sila magpasa ng resignation letter, may makukuha pa rin po ba silang separation pay? tia<br />
<br /><br /><br />

imho, forced resignation due to P&A issues are quite illegal unless:

a) it is written on your employee handbook, in which case, there should be a matrix.... hindi pwedeng dismissal or termination kaagad.

B) all concerned employees should have underwent proper due process, in which, steps and procedures are duly documented.

c) forced resignation due to disciplinary action is lower than termination.

kung mag resign, makukuha pa din ang separation pay.

kung termination, wala.

Hello People. May problem friend ko regarding his name sa diploma nya. Pinagaral sya ng lolo nya nun college. kaya lang ang naregister na middle name ng friend ko e yun sa second wife ng lolo nya (patay na orig nag asawa uli). Pinalabas ng lolo nya na anak sya. dahil kelangan daw un para maavail un scholarship under sa lolo nya. Nung magasawa na sya binalik na nya sa dati ang middle name nya pati sa mga credentials nya. Paano nya kaya mababago ang middle name sa diploma para ibalik sa tunay na middle name nya? Salamat mga sir.

1. It is stated in my contract (from company B) that I should be informed at least 1 month prior to my end of contract. Since I they were not able to inform me, would I have a chance to win if I file a case?

Ayun kay google: happened to us a few years ago. may tinerminate kaming contract na walang 30 day notice. talo kami.

hindi ko lang alam kung ano talaga ang contract na involved sa case ni google, but I am assuming that sa kaso nila, either open-ended (walang fixed na period) ang contract OR tinerminate nila ang contract BEFORE its termination date. In those kinds of cases, the 30-day notice becomes important, dahil hindi alam nung tao na tatapusin na pala yung kontrata niya, biglaan baga.

Sa kaso mo, 6-months lang ang contract mo. Mula sa simula, alam mo na kung kelan matatapos ang contract mo, hindi ka na kailangang i-inform kung kelan ito matatapos, kung kaya't ano ang basehan ng claim mo na di mo alam na ma-teterminate ang contract mo.

1a. I have double checked my contract and unfortunately, it does not state something about a 30 day notice.

Mas malala, wala palang sinasabi sa contract mo na kailangan ng 30-day notice (dahil nga, hindi ka na kailangan bigyan ng notice because nakalagay na nga kung hanggang kailan lang ang contract mo), kung kaya't wala ka talagang basehan para humingi ng daños.

2. and who should i file a case against? In company B for not following up from Company A about my status on the 5th month?

Assuming na magkakaso ka pa rin, Company B, dahil ito ang employer mo (at kalimitan, sa Master Agreement ng agency mo (Company B) sa principal (Company A), mayroong clause na nagsasabi na lahat ng claim ay sagutin lamang ng Company B (non-liability at indemnification clause), at kung hindi man, ay babayaran ni Company B.

3. Would I be able to demand at least 1 month salary compensation for not being able inform me as my contract stated?

Nope.

Hi Sirs,

thank you for your responses. mukhang mahirap ngang lumaban pa sa case. :(

I was only informed about the 30 days verbally when I had my job offer from the vendor. Although the person I talked with specifically stated that they will be informing me about my status if i will be extended or not on the 5th month. They even provided an assumption saying that normally, if they do not receive an email from the company, it would mean that I will be extended.

I guess based from that response, I would not be able to chase the person since there was no documentation of that.

Thank you for your help!

Punta siya sa College Secretary ng eskwelahan niya at magtanong kung ano ang requirements nila run para sa correction ng middle name niya (under the current set-up kasi, each college/university now have the exclusive power to correct the names of their students, wala na ito sa CHED)

Hello People. May problem friend ko regarding his name sa diploma nya. Pinagaral sya ng lolo nya nun college. kaya lang ang naregister na middle name ng friend ko e yun sa second wife ng lolo nya (patay na orig nag asawa uli). Pinalabas ng lolo nya na anak sya. dahil kelangan daw un para maavail un scholarship under sa lolo nya. Nung magasawa na sya binalik na nya sa dati ang middle name nya pati sa mga credentials nya. Paano nya kaya mababago ang middle name sa diploma para ibalik sa tunay na middle name nya? Salamat mga sir.

Edited by rocco69

kung termination, wala.

baliktad ata. pag magre-resign ka, wala ka makukuhang separation pay (kaya katangahan ang magresign, lalo na dun sa 20+ years in service na); pero pag tinerminate ka (for reasons not due to the employee's fault), the employee is entitled to separation pay.

<br /><br /><br />

imho, forced resignation due to P&A issues are quite illegal unless:

a) it is written on your employee handbook, in which case, there should be a matrix.... hindi pwedeng dismissal or termination kaagad.

B) all concerned employees should have underwent proper due process, in which, steps and procedures are duly documented.

c) forced resignation due to disciplinary action is lower than termination.

kung termination, wala.

kung termination, wala.

baliktad ata. pag magre-resign ka, wala ka makukuhang separation pay (kaya katangahan ang magresign, lalo na dun sa 20+ years in service na); pero pag tinerminate ka (for reasons not due to the employee's fault), the employee is entitled to separation pay.

sir, what do you mean by employee's fault, ito po ba yung tinerminate ang isang empleyado dahil sa bad record nya on his performance and attemdamce. pag ganito po ba wala syang makukuhang separatin pay?

may mga kasamahan kami before na na-early retire at the age of 50, illegal po ba ito?

marami pong kapabayaan ng company namin, di pagbabayad ng contributions namin sa sss at pag ibig pero regular kaming kinakaltasan, pati na rin sa sss loans namin kaya di kami ulit maka-loan, kapalpakan sa housing program na pina-reloan daw ulit sa bangko dahil daw nagka-arrears sila, dinig namin ay ganun din sa tax namin na regular na kinakaltas sa amin pero di umaabot sa bir, sino po ba ang da best na lapitan para maireklamo ang kumpanya namin? tia

1. what do you mean by employee's fault

kasalanan ng empleyado, e.g. nagnakaw siya sa kumpanya kaya siya tinanggal; o di-kaya'y pabaya siya sa trabaho; laging absent ng walang dahilan; pagpasok ng lasing o naka-droga. kapag kasalanan ng empleyado kaya siya tinatanggal, wala siyang karapatan sa separation pay. pero kung hindi niya kasalanan, e.g. inilipat sa agency ang pwesto niya; o nalulugi ang kumpanya; o nagsara ng branch at di siya mailipat sa ibang pwesto; o makina na ang gumawa ng trabaho niya; o sobra na ng tao, kung kaya't siya ay tinatanggal, kailangan bayaran siya ng separation pay.

2. may mga kasamahan kami before na-early retire at the age of 50, illegal po ba ito?

kung pumayag ang empleyado, hindi ito illegal, pumayag siya eh. pero kung hindi naman nakasaad yung early retirement sa kontrata niya (o sa CBA kung may unyon) hindi siya pwedeng pilitin kung ayaw niya, bawal ito, kasi ang compulsory retirement natin ay 65.

3. marami pong kapabayaan ng company namin,, sino po ba ang da best na lapitan para maireklamo ang kumpanya namin?

para sa SSS, eh di sa SSS kayo pumunta. mayron namang programa dun para anonymous at di makilala yung nagrereklamong empleyado.

yung sa housing, sa PAG-IBIG naman.

sa ibang benefits, punta ka sa DOLE.

sir, what do you mean by employee's fault, ito po ba yung tinerminate ang isang empleyado dahil sa bad record nya on his performance and attemdamce. pag ganito po ba wala syang makukuhang separatin pay?

may mga kasamahan kami before na na-early retire at the age of 50, illegal po ba ito?

marami pong kapabayaan ng company namin, di pagbabayad ng contributions namin sa sss at pag ibig pero regular kaming kinakaltasan, pati na rin sa sss loans namin kaya di kami ulit maka-loan, kapalpakan sa housing program na pina-reloan daw ulit sa bangko dahil daw nagka-arrears sila, dinig namin ay ganun din sa tax namin na regular na kinakaltas sa amin pero di umaabot sa bir, sino po ba ang da best na lapitan para maireklamo ang kumpanya namin? tia

Edited by rocco69

Yes. Ikaw na rin nagsabi - "some union official indeed talk to its members asking or in a indirect manner telling the member not to report for work that day(april 9)."

Ikaw ulit nagsabi - "next day the management issued ES or explanation slip to those employees asking for their reason... Come May 5, management terminates union officials on the grounds of illegal strike. The termination was effective on the very same day."

Assuming that the union officials were also given their explanation slips, that would mean the two-notice requirement was followed (una, notice to explain; pangalawa, notice of termination after either finding the explanation insufficient/unsatisfactory, or because no explanation was submitted). tingnan mo rin yung existing CBA kung ano ang nakalagay na procedure for terminating an employee (dapat nasunod din yun). Pero, offhand, I would say due process was followed.

Yes to both questions. Sa mata ng company, tanggal na yung current union officials. For the CBA negotiations, you need new ones (or ad hoc ones) as the company will surely refuse to negotiate with the officials on the ground that they are no longer employees.

4. Am I correct in assuming.. [that] since the officials were terminated... they can no longer be considered members and officials of the union?

Sa ilalim ng Art. 264 ng Labor Code: "Any Union officer who knowingly participates in an illegal strike and any worker or Union officer who knowingly participates in the commission of illegal acts during a strike may be declared to have lost his employment status."

I would say that the removal of union officials was valid, there being no ground to induce workers not to go to work on April 9 (on-going CBA negotiations are not a ground for not reporting to work). Of course, walang pumipigil sa unyon sa pagfa-file ng kaso sa labor questioning the removal of union officials (although mahihirapan silang manalo).

Kung valid ang removal, entonces, di na sila empleyado. Sa ilalim ng implementing rules, kailangang ermpleyado ang union official, kung di na sila empleyado dahil tinanggal na sila... [ikaw na mag-isip]

5. Should they still be followed by the union members?

Nasa mga empleyado yan, but see answer to #4.

NOTE: Di natin alam, from your query, kung may ibang factors/circumstances leading the union officials to induce the non-reporting for work of majority of the union members. Ultimately, the union and/or the employees needs to consult a lawyer AND lay before him all the facts surrounding the dispute; and they need to do that ASAP before considering their present/future courses of action. Whatever you get here is for general information purposes only, and any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

hi good am...the company terminated our union officials(we are under CBA nego)because of article 282 of labor code as basis..illegal strike...here is what happened..last april 9,,90% of the regular employees who are union members did not report for work even though the management have in many instances informed the employees that they are being required to work on that day..all premiums as mandated by law is to be given and cited ART..94 of labor code as basis...in reality some union official indeed talk to its members asking or in a indirect manner telling the member not to report for work that day(april 9) and in the coming holidays(april 17/19) citing that we are in the process of cba nego and that we must show unity..like i mentioned above,come april 9,90% of workers did not report for work,,next day he management issued ES or explanation slip to those employees asking for their reason,,union official initially told members to right under protest on their ES,after some time asked the members to give them their ES so that its the union officials that will answer,but then again after some time officials return said ES to members advising them to just give the real reason for not reporting to work on the said date. Come April 17 and 19, 75% of employees still did not report for work. Come May 5, management terminates union officials on the grounds of illegal strike. The termination was effective on the very same day.

Questions:

Technically I assume that since the officials were terminated and can be considered as no longer employees of the company, therefore they can no longer be considered members and officials of the union. Am I correct in assuming this? Right now these terminated officials continue to orchestrate and give instructions to members regarding activities and mobilizations. Should they still be followed by the union members? The terminated officials whose term of office will end this September still did not file a case against the company to the Department of Labor.

Edited by rocco69

thank you sir rocco..a lot had happen since i post this question...the federation where the union belongs refuse to call for an election for a new set of officials .maybe in sympathy of the terminated ones,,or even direct/appoint an ad hoc committe to bargain with the company in relation to the cba nego..the federation wanted the company to first returned the terminated official before sitting for negotiation..the thing is the terminated officials term of office is set to expire come september 2014..another thing these former official still continue to have access to the union funds because they hold the passbook and are still the signatories of the account..what or who could initiate the action needed to protect said funds...if the company declares a lockout.does these mean it will ceased to operate?removed all employees whether regular.contractuals and agency worker?or just the regular employees be affected by the declaration of lockout and company continue to operate with contractual and agency workers as workforce(if ever lang naman)..salamat sa pagsagot at pagbibigay ng panahon.....at kung hindi pala magkaroon ng panibagong official ang union sa pagtatapos ng termino ng mga dating opisyal..maari bang madisolve ang union o di ito kilalanin ng kumpanya(dahil walang lider)

Edited by jopok

1. what or who could initiate the action needed to protect said funds?

this is a matter internal to the union. you have to look at the Constitution and By-laws of the union as to what needs to be done on this matter. if all these fail, that is the time you can go to DOLE's Bureau of Labor Relations.

2. if the company declares a lockout, does these mean it will ceased to operate?

yung lockout, parang strike din, yun nga lang yung kumpanya ang may kagagawan. walang trabaho ang mga taga-unyon, pero tuloy ang operasyon (mga hindi miyembro ng unyon ang tuloy ang trabaho). as you said, "company continue to operate with contractual and agency workers as workforce".

3. kung hindi pala magkaroon ng panibagong official ang union sa pagtatapos ng termino ng mga dating opisyal..maari bang madisolve ang union o di ito kilalanin ng kumpanya(dahil walang lider)?

hindi madidissolve ang union dahil lang wala pang officials; pero may basehan ang kumpanya na di makipag-negotiate hanggang walang opisyal ang union.

thank you sir rocco..a lot had happen since i post this question...the federation where the union belongs refuse to call for an election for a new set of officials .maybe in sympathy of the terminated ones,,or even direct/appoint an ad hoc committe to bargain with the company in relation to the cba nego..the federation wanted the company to first returned the terminated official before sitting for negotiation..the thing is the terminated officials term of office is set to expire come september 2014..another thing these former official still continue to have access to the union funds because they hold the passbook and are still the signatories of the account..what or who could initiate the action needed to protect said funds...if the company declares a lockout.does these mean it will ceased to operate?removed all employees whether regular.contractuals and agency worker?or just the regular employees be affected by the declaration of lockout and company continue to operate with contractual and agency workers as workforce(if ever lang naman)..salamat sa pagsagot at pagbibigay ng panahon.....at kung hindi pala magkaroon ng panibagong official ang union sa pagtatapos ng termino ng mga dating opisyal..maari bang madisolve ang union o di ito kilalanin ng kumpanya(dahil walang lider)

If a sales man working about 5-6 years and a regular employee tas dumating na yung twilight of sales performance and the management decided to let her/him go by means of resignation, may habol ba as regular employee?

May mga options kaya?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

1. may habol ba as regular employee?

kug nagresign siya, wala

2. May mga options kaya?

wag siya magresign, hintay siya tanggalin siya or offeran siya ng magandang severance package

If a sales man working about 5-6 years and a regular employee tas dumating na yung twilight of sales performance and the management decided to let her/him go by means of resignation, may habol ba as regular employee?

May mga options kaya?

TIA

Good day, ask ko lang about the article below, this was filed by unionized employees and retirees, kasama ba sa ruling ang mga non-unionized employees at retirees na hindi nag-file? Thanks.

CA affirms Coke workers’ bonus claims

THE Court of Appeals (CA) has ruled that the practice of giving yearly bonuses to employees, aside from their 13th-month pay, can no longer be withdrawn once it has ripened into a “company practice.”

Thus, the appellate court denied the petition filed by Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines Inc. (CCBPI) seeking to reverse the decision issued by the National Labor Relations Commission (NLRC), which upheld the claim of its regular rank-and-file employees for the payment of their bonuses equivalent to their monthly pay from 2008 to 2010.

2. May mga options kaya?

wag siya magresign, hintay siya tanggalin siya or offeran siya ng magandang severance package

itong mga ganitong offer po ba, 1 month salary x length of service po ba ang katumbas or half month lang po? ang mga naririnig ko po kc ay half month lang daw po, tia

ang 1/2 month salary for every year of service ay para sa:

i. retrenchment to prevent losses

ii. closures or cessation of operations of establishment or undertaking not due to serious business losses or financial reverses

iii. an employee who has been found to be suffering from any disease and whose continued employment is prohibited by law or is prejudicial to his health as well as to the health of his co-employees

ang bayad ay one (1) month pay or at least one-half (1/2) month pay for every year of service, whichever is higher.

It ay alinsunod sa Art. 283 at 284 ng Labor Code na nagsasabi:

Art. 283. Closure of establishment and reduction of personnel. The employer may also terminate the employment of any employee due to the installation of labor-saving devices, redundancy, retrenchment to prevent losses or the closing or cessation of operation of the establishment or undertaking unless the closing is for the purpose of circumventing the provisions of this Title, by serving a written notice on the workers and the Ministry of Labor and Employment at least one (1) month before the intended date thereof. In case of termination due to the installation of labor-saving devices or redundancy, the worker affected thereby shall be entitled to a separation pay equivalent to at least his one (1) month pay or to at least one (1) month pay for every year of service, whichever is higher. In case of retrenchment to prevent losses and in cases of closures or cessation of operations of establishment or undertaking not due to serious business losses or financial reverses, the separation pay shall be equivalent to one (1) month pay or at least one-half (1/2) month pay for every year of service, whichever is higher. A fraction of at least six (6) months shall be considered one (1) whole year.

Art. 284. Disease as ground for termination. An employer may terminate the services of an employee who has been found to be suffering from any disease and whose continued employment is prohibited by law or is prejudicial to his health as well as to the health of his co-employees: Provided, That he is paid separation pay equivalent to at least one (1) month salary or to one-half (1/2) month salary for every year of service, whichever is greater, a fraction of at least six (6) months being considered as one (1) whole year.

2. May mga options kaya?

itong mga ganitong offer po ba, 1 month salary x length of service po ba ang katumbas or half month lang po? ang mga naririnig ko po kc ay half month lang daw po, tia

it depends on the wording of the Decision. you need to look at the Decision.

Don't worry though, di mo pa makukuha yan, at siguradong iaapela yan sa Supreme Court at malaking halaga ang involved, mga ilang taon pa ulit yan.

Good day, ask ko lang about the article below, this was filed by unionized employees and retirees, kasama ba sa ruling ang mga non-unionized employees at retirees na hindi nag-file? Thanks.

CA affirms Coke workers’ bonus claims

THE Court of Appeals (CA) has ruled that the practice of giving yearly bonuses to employees, aside from their 13th-month pay, can no longer be withdrawn once it has ripened into a “company practice.”

Thus, the appellate court denied the petition filed by Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines Inc. (CCBPI) seeking to reverse the decision issued by the National Labor Relations Commission (NLRC), which upheld the claim of its regular rank-and-file employees for the payment of their bonuses equivalent to their monthly pay from 2008 to 2010.

it depends on the wording of the Decision. you need to look at the Decision.

Don't worry though, di mo pa makukuha yan, at siguradong iaapela yan sa Supreme Court at malaking halaga ang involved, mga ilang taon pa ulit yan.

Thanks Sir.

hi good afternoon po, I'm having problems with my mother who is always nagging and bragging which makes my life miserable, my mother is not a filipino citizen which is considered alien I think, I'm 21 years old, what legal charges can I consider to make my life much better. thank you