Free Legal Advice

Butsoy

no. i mean why choose mandrake over the other distributions?

Actually my first choice is Redhat Linux 9.0 kaso.... Nag stop na sila at nag concentrate sa Redhat Linux Enterprise... Which is not available for downloading...

I guess ok naman yung Mandrake at parang user friendly... Medyo nahirapan lang me sa pag setup ng mail server... May info k n b sa Mail server setup?

mayorsam & menime

I know its somewhat late but thanks for your help.One last question. Based on your respective replies it seems that overclocking involves adjusting the values in the BIOS. Is my impression correct or is there more to it....

when you're overclocking, you're basically abusing the hardware. so it's also a matter of how much abuse the hardware can tolerate.

you typically increase the values in the BIOS using small increments, boot to windows, run a few applications to see if everything is stable (better yet, run benchmarking applications). you keep increasing the values in the BIOS until your pc won't boot or windows won't boot or applications start to crash.

there are also heat and power issues as you operate your hardware beyond its specification.

if you are actually going to attempt to overclock your machine i would suggest following the links that menime posted and probably search the web for some more information.

i haven't personally experienced frying my machine by overclocking it but i guess it's a possibilty based on what i've read from the web. so proceed with caution.

although it is dubious that you would damage your machine by increasing the FSB by just 1Mhz (just to get the feel of it), i still wouldn't recommend it if you're not willing to risk damage to your hardware.

just to give you an idea, i was able to run my 2.4Ghz P4 at 3.1Ghz using the FSB increase method. it ran stably at that speed but i restored it to it's original speed afterwards. overclocking your hardware for extended periods of time tends to decrease its lifetime (not that it matters, computers get obsolete faster than they die)

nope, di ako familiar sa mandrake kung meron silang distro specific way of setting up a mail server.

fyi, available ang Redhat Enterprise (and suse enterprise ata) sa greenhills. at least it was a few months ago.

nope, di ako familiar sa mandrake kung meron silang distro specific way of setting up a mail server.

fyi, available ang Redhat Enterprise (and suse enterprise ata) sa greenhills. at least it was a few months ago.

La kcing tindang pirated d2 sa location ko... Kaya hirap maghanap ng mga Linux... Ayaw ko nmang bumili ng original... :D

Video recording... buy a VIVO (video-in video-out) video card. Your only problem is the ina nd out ports in these cards are all S-Video.

Overclocking.... I wouldn't recommend it at all. Just the extra cost for cooling and possible instability would rather make me just upgrade to the next highest CPU. Ganon din naman eh. Besides, the bottleneck in modern PCs isn't with the processor anymore. Overpowered na nga mga PC ngayon eh.

you should also try slackware. it's the best _out of the box_ distribution i've tried so far. the only package you have to seriously worry about is the proxy server (i haven't fooled around with this too); apache and sendmail are already installed by default and yesterday i started the sendmail daemon (just for fun) without changing any configuration from the default installation and i was able to send an email right away.

it's lightweight, without any hacks like redhat. granted that it lacks in some graphical interface for system configurations, it's still quite easy to use and configure through the console. you just have to read, read, and read; but that's what you should be doing since you're acting as a system administrator anyway.

you should also try some other distribution, a lot of users/sysads are also going for debian.

you should also try slackware. it's the best _out of the box_ distribution i've tried so far. the only package you have to seriously worry about is the proxy server (i haven't fooled around with this too); apache and sendmail are already installed by default and yesterday i started the sendmail daemon (just for fun) without changing any configuration from the default installation and i was able to send an email right away.

it's lightweight, without any hacks like redhat. granted that it lacks in some graphical interface for system configurations, it's still quite easy to use and configure through the console. you just have to read, read, and read; but that's what you should be doing since you're acting as a system administrator anyway.

you should also try some other distribution, a lot of users/sysads are also going for debian.

Ok I'll try.. Thanks for the info. :)

mayorsam & menime

I know its somewhat late but thanks for your help.One last question. Based on your respective replies it seems that overclocking involves adjusting the values in the BIOS. Is my impression correct or is there more to it....

Yup, you have to adjust the Front side bus frequency in your bios in order to overclock your proc.

I agree with mayorsam that there are certain risk in pushing your system beyond it's recomended limit. By increasing the frontside bus frequency of your motherboard, you overclock not only your processor but also your ram, agp, and every pci component in your in system.

Like mayor sam i was able to overclock my 2.6ghz intel to 3ghz plus and it ran very stable, but there was a really disturbing side effect. By overclocking my processor, my pc's memory subsystem lost a lot of memory bandwidth from a score of 4850 it went down to around 4150 (by the way i used sandra to measure the benchmark).

Not that 4150 is a bad score in fact it still is very good benchmark, but the point is I was pushing my ram too much.

Believe me that if you overclock, your ram would be the first thing to get busted, My previous system was a p3 600mhz, It wouldn't play modern games anymore because the minimum system requirement is around 800mhz p3's. So it tried to overclock it. It worked for about an hour but after that it crashed then my system become very unstable even after i reconfigured my system to to its original clock speed. I found out that one my 256 sdram was busted, I knew that it was because of the overclock.

Actually processors are sturdy enough to endure more heat, so it would be able handle faster than what is specified, The reason to this is that manufacturers often underclock cpu speed rating to accomodate all market segments.

for example 10 units of p4s are produced using the same silicon wafers...

they would test the batch to verify what speed rating the processors are capalbe of. Often processors from the same batch would yield the same speed ratings. Lets say all this processor passed as 3.2 ghz pentium 4. Intel wont rate all thsese processors as 3.2ghz they will first look if they have stock defficiency of other pentium 4's. Lets say that there is a huge stock defficiency of pentium 4 2.6 ghz, then some of these processors would be rated at 2.6 in order to fill in the void.

If someone gets this cpu's... he actually has 3.2ghz pentium locked as a 2.6ghz, These CPU's are the ones that are really pretty easy to overclock. Most of the time this is the case... specially for pentium 4's

But again if you plan to overclock you got to have, sturdy rams, dont worry about your proc they oftentimes overclock easy.

thanks for the reply ....

well we have a tv naman the thing is ayaw nya ng 2 pa ung monitor he wanted it sana na nasa pc na din.... how this capture card works... do u think i need it to make it work??

before kasi ung webcam naka plug sa tv then may converter lang then nilipat namin sa isang channel sa cable.

but now un he wanted it sana na wala na ung tv sa pc na lang lahat.

thanks in advance

Hello,

I'm currently experiencing problem with my PC (clone). Previosly, when I'm playing games like Rise to Nations, my monitor will suddenly display garbage data (green and red lines). I tried a lot of things to remedy this. I already tried re-formatting my PC but still no dice. I also replaced the video card (same specs) but still I encounter the same problem. I also tried updating my drivers. The spec of PC are the following:

memory: 512MB

cpu: P4 2.66

motherboard: ecs8x

videocard: nvdia fx 5600 ultra

hard drive: 40gb

Can anybody help me with this problem.

Thanks

for example 10 units of p4s are produced using the same silicon wafers...

they would test the batch to verify what speed rating the processors are capalbe of. Often processors from the same batch would yield the same speed ratings. Lets say all this processor passed as 3.2 ghz pentium 4. Intel wont rate all thsese processors as 3.2ghz they will first look if they have stock defficiency of other pentium 4's. Lets say that there is a huge stock defficiency of pentium 4 2.6 ghz, then some of these processors would be rated at 2.6 in order to fill in the void.

If someone gets this cpu's... he actually has 3.2ghz pentium locked as a 2.6ghz, These CPU's are the ones that are really pretty easy to overclock. Most of the time this is the case... specially for pentium 4's

cool! i didn't know that.

I bought a clone pc yesterday P4. They placed win98 command com on the hd. I then installed win xp professional. It always ask which OS will it use everytime i turn it on. Can I remove the win 98 without formatting? Thanks!

nope, now that the pc has two os in its hdd, it will always ask which os you would run at start up...

had that incident when i reinstalled win xp pro on a pc, forgetting to reformat, the pc then had two win xp's in it, the old xp home and the pro installed.

since your pc's new, do a reformat, divide your hdd in to two or three if its really huge then install your os on the least amount...

post-57-1089433105.jpg

Edited by roxysnonie

mga gurus....

Tulong..., meron ba kayong pang repair ng boot sector/FAT ng hardisk. Kasi yung laptop (IBM tHINKPAD) ng utol ko, nababasa nya yung laman ng hardisk pero once mag - invoke ka ng any write commands (whether copy/delete/etc), nag-eeror ("Unable to write to disk").. Try ko na mga procedures na ito:

1. Fdisk/Format - kaso format failed dahil hindi makapagwrite sa hard-disk

2. Bios reset - ganun pa din

3. Scandisk - walang error pag normal scan, pero once i-try mo yung surface scan, parang naghahang

help, ala kasi akong budget for hard disk right now :)

Hello,

I'm currently experiencing problem with my PC (clone). Previosly, when I'm playing games like Rise to Nations, my monitor will suddenly display garbage data (green and red lines). I tried a lot of things to remedy this. I already tried re-formatting my PC but still no dice. I also replaced the video card (same specs) but still I encounter the same problem. I also tried updating my drivers. The spec of PC are the following:

memory: 512MB

cpu: P4 2.66

motherboard: ecs8x

videocard: nvdia fx 5600 ultra

hard drive: 40gb

Can anybody help me with this problem.

Thanks

I've experienced the same problem before...

by the way, after the red and green garbage did your system crash and you needed to reboot or were you able to recover from the error without rebooting?

I could be wrong but anyway my best guess is that you have a leaking RAM try replacing your ram with a new one. What's your ram configuration do you have two 256 or a single stick of 512 memory? Please post the rest of your pc specification so we could help you better.

Due to my constant downloading of mp3s, I'm now about to run out of space in my hard drive. I have 37 gb capacity and I only have 7 gbs free space left. Should I buy another hard drive asap? If I get a hard drive, how should I have it configured with my current system and existing hard drive?

nope, now that the pc has two os in its hdd, it will always ask which os you would run at start up...

had that incident when i reinstalled win xp pro on a pc, forgetting to reformat, the pc then had two win xp's in it, the old xp home and the pro installed.

since your pc's new, do a reformat, divide your hdd in to two or three if its really huge then install your os on the least amount...

Actually you can just remove the Menu from bootup.

Just right click my computer ->properties -> advanced tab -> Under startup and Recovery -> click settings -> Under System Startup -> Click Edit

You will See like this on notepad:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /execute

just remove the line with windows 98 and save... Viola!!! no more startup boot options. ;)

I bought a clone pc yesterday P4. They placed win98 command com on the hd. I then installed win xp professional. It always ask which OS will it use everytime i turn it on. Can I remove the win 98 without formatting? Thanks!

As far as I know there is no way you can erase win 98 without affecting the newly installed win XP, my guess is you did not overwrite or upgrade win 98 while installing win xp. When installing XP over another OS you will be given a choice to upgrade, but instead i think you installed win xp as a seperate os in your system. What you have now is what we call a dual boot machine.

The thing is if you erase win 98 the start-up command string will also be erased. The consequences of erasing win 98 is that you would have winxp on your harddrive but without the start-up string, you wont be able to boot to xp.

If you are annoyed of the OS choices at start-up you could do the following tricks

first option, You can hide win 98 at start-up boot to winXP then

Right click on my computer, select properties, click the advace tab then choose start-up and recovery settings. Clicking this would lead you to the system start-up menu.

The first dialogue bar would ask you for your default operating system

choose "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect"

Then, check time to display operating system and key in 0 sec,

leave the rest of the options alone specially the edit tab. Manually encoding the start-up string could prove fatal to you system.

After doing so reboot then you would notice the choices would be gone and your PC would boot automatically to xp. However the win 98 coommand will still be present in your system.

The second Option is to re-format the whole thing.

I would prefer this option because First of all I would really hate to have a hidden OS in my system which would be eating-up precious storage. In this case out of sight should not be out of mind. And if you installed win 98 you would at least have 1 fat32 partition which is an inferior filing system when compaerd against win xp's NTFS file system.

But before I forgot Did you actually have win 98 or you only have the command string. Could you actually boot to win 98?

Please post so that I could suggest more solutions to you pc headache!

Hope this helps.

Due to my constant downloading of mp3s, I'm now about to run out of space in my hard drive. I have 37 gb capacity and I only have 7 gbs free space left. Should I buy another hard drive asap? If I get a hard drive, how should I have it configured with my current system and existing hard drive?

Yep I suggest that you grab a brand new hard drive, and get the biggest mother f**ker you can afford. Hard drive gets cheaper by the gigabyte when you get the ones with larger capacity.

Then I suggest that you put your os in your old disk and relegate the newer, bigger and badder disk as your data disk, Voila! welcome to mp3 dowloading heaven!

By the way a i have a 40 barracuda as a system and a bad ass 120gb barracuda for my video, mp3 and all sorts of data disk.