Accountants\finance\auditors Etc.

• 2 weeks later...

The Surprising No. 1 College Major

Based on the number of college freshman who are making it their career choice, accounting is the new 'sexy' college major. Yes, accounting.

It's now the most in-dema! nd major on college campuses, according to both AccountingWeb.com and the Job Outlook 2005 survey, conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.

Why is it so popular? Academics say the numerous corporate accounting scandals over the last few years have piqued the interest of today's students. Add to that new regulations that are a result of those scandals, and the number of jobs, especially for auditors, has skyrocketed.

AccountingWeb.com cites these statistics from the Wall Street Journal:

* The number of accounting degrees awarded nationwide in 2003 jumped 11 percent from 2002.

* The largest accounting program in the nation, at Florida International University in Miami, saw a 43 percent increase in student enrollment between 2000 and 2003.

* The University of Michigan saw a 76 perc! ent increase in accounting master's students over the past three years.

* The University of Illinois, one of the nation's biggest producers of accountants, saw a 66 percent increase in undergraduate accounting majors from 2001 to 2004.

"What this tells us is there's no such thing as bad publicity," Ira Solomon, head of the department of accountancy at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign told AccountingWeb.com. "All the focus on accounting created a perception to students that accounting matters and is perhaps even sexy."

There's just one problem on the horizon: Accounting professors are retiring in droves, and there is no one to take their place. According to the American Accounting Association, there are more than twice as many faculty openings as there are applicants.

The top 10 most in-demand college majors:

1. Accounting

2. Electrical engineering

3. Mechanical engineering

4. Business administration/management

5. Economics/finance

6. Computer science

7. Computer engineering

8. Marketing/marketing management

9. Chemical engineering

10. Information sciences and systems  

• 3 weeks later...

The Surprising No. 1 College Major

Based on the number of college freshman who are making it their career choice, accounting is the new 'sexy' college major. Yes, accounting.

It's now the most in-dema! nd major on college campuses, according to both AccountingWeb.com and the Job Outlook 2005 survey, conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.

Why is it so popular? Academics say the numerous corporate accounting scandals over the last few years have piqued the interest of today's students. Add to that new regulations that are a result of those scandals, and the number of jobs, especially for auditors, has skyrocketed.

YEAHHHH....ACCOUNTING AND CPAs rules.....yabang hahahaha :evil: :evil:

does anyone here know what the difference is between a CA and a CPA? and, ano ano ba ang different specializations sa accounting i.e. tax, auditing, aa... etc. alin ang pinakarewarding at least stressfull?

i'm an accounting student. i'm asking para i know na how to position myself best for whatever i will choose in the future. para i know na which extra classes i have to take. which i classes i have to be extra good in. (yuck nerd.)

does anyone here know what the difference is between a CA and a CPA? and, ano ano ba ang different specializations sa accounting i.e. tax, auditing, aa... etc. alin ang pinakarewarding at least stressfull?

i'm an accounting student. i'm asking para i know na how to position myself best for whatever i will choose in the future. para i know na which extra classes i have to take. which i classes i have to be extra good in. (yuck nerd.)

As far as i know, CA is college of accountancy and CPA is certified public accoutnants, Syempre pag cpa ka you can signed an audit report provided that you meet some requirements by SEC and PICPA.

Normally pag accounting graduate tapos cpa ka pa, you can practise either accounting, tax or auditing which ever suits you.

Tsaka mas madaling mag law pag accounting graduate ka kasi merong kang subject na bussiness law pag accounting ka...

As far as i know, CA is college of accountancy and CPA is certified public accoutnants,  Syempre pag cpa ka you can signed an audit report provided that you meet some requirements by SEC and PICPA.

Normally pag accounting graduate tapos cpa ka pa, you can practise either accounting, tax or auditing which ever suits you. 

Tsaka mas madaling mag law pag accounting graduate ka kasi merong kang subject na bussiness law pag accounting ka...

i mean CA as in Chartered Accountant.

i mean CA as in Chartered Accountant.

As far as I know, CPA's are Certified Public Accountants essentially the regular term of certified or accredited accountants and derive this term in jurisdictions where the law is "civil based" or countries like the US, Singapore and the Philippines. Chartered Accountants or CA's are the equivalent of CPA's in "Common Law Countries" like UK, Australia and Canada. This is similar to the regular term lawyers as opposed to "solicitors" and "barristers" in common law countries.

In answer to your second question, an accountant's work is seldom easy and is almost always stressful. It may not really be physically stressful (although often it is), it is very much intellectually stressful.

There are a lot of pros and cons in choosing which field to specialize in. Audit tends to be very stressful and low paying :cry: but also fulfilling in the sense that it has the most opportunities in an auditing firm :goatee: . Financial Accountants get good pay at the start but you tend to hit a ceiling somewhere down the road (I have yet to see a rich accountant that was an employee). :) Tax accountants are very rewarding financially but you tend to be unglamorous (at least as accountants go :blush:) and be viewed as "corruptors". Management Services is very glamorous but if you do not have the right credentials, is essentially a dead-end practice for most individuals because of the larger players. Piece of advise on how to position yourself.

Imagine what you want to be 20 years from now and then work on it. The downside to that is that more often than not, 20 years from now, you will find yourself in something that you did not imagine you'd be in or even if you did imagine yourself in that position, it was not what you imagined it to be. :blink:

Take it from me. I started out aiming for Management Services practice and ended up in Tax Practice. And I even took Tax 1 twice!!! I swore then that tax would be the least of my priorities. But now, I'm in tax services. :blush:

Wow dami BSA sa MTC! Yay!

mag-pa-plug ako!!

mei convention ang accountancy students hosted by National Federation of Junior Philippine Institute of Accountants (NFJPIA). lahat ng JPIA, member din ng NFJPIA.

Sa April 17-20, 2005 sa DAP Conference Center sa Tagaytay.

invited rin alumni (dating JPIA members and officers, graduated FY 2003-2004 or earlier) sa evening events.

visit na lang sa www.nfjpia.tk =)

Wow dami BSA sa MTC! Yay!

mag-pa-plug ako!!

mei convention ang accountancy students hosted by National Federation of Junior Philippine Institute of Accountants (NFJPIA). lahat ng JPIA, member din ng NFJPIA.

Sa April 17-20, 2005 sa DAP Conference Center sa Tagaytay.

invited rin alumni (dating JPIA members and officers, graduated FY 2003-2004 or earlier) sa evening events.

visit na lang sa www.nfjpia.tk =)

Shandy pwede ba advisers dyan? :sick:

In answer to your second question, an accountant's work is seldom easy and is almost always stressful.  It may not really be physically stressful (although often it is), it is very much intellectually stressful. 

There are a lot of pros and cons in choosing which field to specialize in.  Audit tends to be very stressful and low paying  :cry:  but also fulfilling in the sense that it has the most opportunities in an auditing firm :goatee: .  Financial Accountants get good pay at the start but you tend to hit a ceiling somewhere down the road (I have yet to see a rich accountant that was an employee).  :)  Tax accountants are very rewarding financially but you tend to be unglamorous (at least as accountants go  :blush:) and be viewed as "corruptors".  Management Services is very glamorous but if you do not have the right credentials, is essentially a dead-end practice for most individuals because of the larger players.  Piece of advise on how to position yourself.

Imagine what you want to be 20 years from now and then work on it.  The downside to that is that more often than not, 20 years from now, you will find yourself in something that you did not imagine you'd be in or even if you did imagine yourself in that position, it was not what you imagined it to be.  :blink:

Take it from me.  I started out aiming for Management Services practice and ended up in Tax Practice.  And I even took Tax 1 twice!!!  I swore then that tax would be the least of my priorities.  But now, I'm in tax services.  :blush:

I think Audit nga is stressful. I have a friend in this field and his favorite line is "mamatay na ako next week."

I am leaning towards tax but, sabi mo nga, hindi mo alam kung san ka mapupunta. Basta, ang goal ko ay mag-retire ng mid-40s at mag-turo na lang in my 50s.

I am enjoying accounting so far, still getting As. I don't understand why people abhor accounting and find it boring. It's so much fun (nerd!). Hindi ako nagsisisi that I went back to school to study accounting.

Hala. April 16 na.. tapos na ba ang ITR ek ek nyo?

I think Audit nga is stressful. I have a friend in this field and his favorite line is "mamatay na ako next week."

I am leaning towards tax but, sabi mo nga, hindi mo alam kung san ka mapupunta. Basta, ang goal ko ay mag-retire ng mid-40s at mag-turo na lang in my 50s.

I am enjoying accounting so far, still getting As. I don't understand why people abhor accounting and find it boring. It's so much fun (nerd!). Hindi ako nagsisisi that I went back to school to study accounting.

Hala. April 16 na.. tapos na ba ang ITR ek ek nyo?

Yup Audit is stressful but you have to consider audit is one side of the picture, while the financial accountant is on the other side of that stress of audit. After all they are the ones who have to come up with answers to the questions of the auditors to come up with a financial statement in time for the deadline. :huh: Tax is also another cause they have to figure out if what the auditors and accountants did was correct (as far as taxes are concerned). :P

Teaching will always be a good diversion for you. I taught for more than 15 years and apparently it was the only thing that kept me sane these past years. Try to go into teaching earlier cause it is not necessary to teach only after you work. For all intents and purposes, teaching while you are young make you more appealing to the students. :evil: