Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Diaz announcing retirement = shock/controversy factor. Bad taste, bad grace and poor sportsmanship too.

The fact that we (and a whole lot of other people judging from the comments on the UFC page) are talking about it is proof enough. In this regard, you might say he wins.

Sadly though it was a bit like Carlos was playing to "not lose." Still a great game plan though IMHO, mixed up strikes and did not go to the ground where Diaz would have submitted him.

Is there anyone who can stop Roy Nelson? Sure he lost, but the level of punishment would have put down a whole lot of other fighters. Doubtful that he could cut as weight to make 205, but it just seems he is undersized for the division.

All in all, it wasn't as spectacular as other recent events though. Hoping Sanchez-Ellenberger and Edgar-Henderson would be better.

Edited by joseph1

This is speculation on my part, but Dana White always talks about making the UFC a true global brand and we have a pretty good fan base back here. It's bound to happen IMHO and all you have to do to project a successful event here is look at the GSP and Penn visits.

Bottom line, I know I'd buy tickets.

^^ UFC was suppose to bring their act in the Philippines about a year or two ago, this was the time when Brandon Vera was a contender, when Nover was hyped up by Dana, and with an up and coming Mark Munoz in the scene (still in WEC I think)..

Of course we know what happened to Vera and Nover. And besides let's be realistic, UFC is about making money, do we honestly think that they can make money in the Philippines? Most people back home does not even know what Ultimate Fighting is.. We are not like Brazil or Japan that has a huge fan base, we are not like Canada that has GSP.. we are not like Germany or Sweden that has an above average economy..

I am hoping for UFC to come to PH but I am not that optimistic about it..

Maybe if UFC can pick up more local talents but the thing is they are tied up by OneFC/Dream for future fights.. Let's wait and see..

^ It's actually possible. Checked the ticket prices and they can range from US$29 to above US$200. Assuming a 45 peso exchange rate, that would be about over 1K to around 15K for ringside seats. Seen concert tickets that cost similar.

IMHO, the fan base exists. It definitely isn't as mainstream as the countries you mentioned and yeah, no local fighter to hype the event, but one event in a lifetime just to provide even greater exposure to the area makes a Ph event quite probable.

Great performance by Brookins. Huge torque in what looked like pretty short punches from sitting down in the guard, Rocha just turned to jelly. Still humble too in the face of everything else going on post TUF.

Hope Struve can continue to get better at using his length. Sad when a fighter is unable to take advantage of freakish advantages like that, and that IMHO is what makes fighters like Jones, Aldo and Silva great.

The link between Jackson MMA and Tristar just is so potent. Menjivar looked great and seemed to have a perfect game plan as well.

"Diego may be a bit cooky but that belief in himself makes him a dangerous fighter" - Kenny Florian. I lol'ed.

Guessing that KOotN goes to Brookins and SotN to Menjivar.

Edited by joseph1

Tsk. Bad time to be sick.

Who was the Baguio boy? Eduard Folayang?

Edit: Wow, I'm confused. Am looking this up on google and found a PXC vs. URCC event that was scheduled in Baguio and PXC 29 scheduled in Pasig, both supposedly for last night.

Edited by joseph1

@ SaintPeter5858

Ah ok thanks. Another Wushu based fighter looks like.

@ topic/nick fury

Agree 100%. Bendo's wrestling should be able to counter Edgar's. He pushes a pretty good pace too so assuming he doesn't slow down as much in the latter rounds as during the Pettis fight (and not get hit by another Matrix kick), Henderson should come out on top.

Some pretty good showcase fights on the card too. I'm looking for bounce back performances from Kid Yamamoto, Gomi, and Okami. Also picking Lauzon and Hunt.

@ SaintPeter5858

Ah ok thanks. Another Wushu based fighter looks like.

@ topic/nick fury

Agree 100%. Bendo's wrestling should be able to counter Edgar's. He pushes a pretty good pace too so assuming he doesn't slow down as much in the latter rounds as during the Pettis fight (and not get hit by another Matrix kick), Henderson should come out on top.

Some pretty good showcase fights on the card too. I'm looking for bounce back performances from Kid Yamamoto, Gomi, and Okami. Also picking Lauzon and Hunt.

Yeah, you're right, The Wushu expert from Baguio was the one who defeated the Stockton guy of Nick Diaz