Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Guest nick fury

With Overeem's performance against Brock Lesnar, I would assume both would bang from the opening bell but if Overeem's kicks to Brock are an indication of the devastating power he has in those legs, he'd hurt JDS bad. Both are good strikers but I give the advantage to Overeem simply coz he is the K1 heavyweight champ.

With Overeem's performance against Brock Lesnar, I would assume both would bang from the opening bell but if Overeem's kicks to Brock are an indication of the devastating power he has in those legs, he'd hurt JDS bad. Both are good strikers but I give the advantage to Overeem simply coz he is the K1 heavyweight champ.

Agreed. Something Rogan also pointed out in the commentary - K1 was the elite striking competition and Reem won it. JDS is a great boxer, he is said to have BJJ skills as well but I don't believe I've ever seen it. Alistair on the other hand was the first to submit Vitor and as opposed to other fighters who have come from different promotions, is entering the UFC at pretty much his prime.

Early pick on paper is Overeem. Knee taps are just too good, on top of coming from someone who is physically imposing.

Guest nick fury

Agreed. Something Rogan also pointed out in the commentary - K1 was the elite striking competition and Reem won it. JDS is a great boxer, he is said to have BJJ skills as well but I don't believe I've ever seen it. Alistair on the other hand was the first to submit Vitor and as opposed to other fighters who have come from different promotions, is entering the UFC at pretty much his prime.

Early pick on paper is Overeem. Knee taps are just too good, on top of coming from someone who is physically imposing.

Moreover, Brock is a world-class wrestler. If Brock can't take him down, more so with JDS. With his performance against Brock, Dos Santos, Mir, Velasquez, and Nog would have a hard time beating him. He has the potential to become a long-reigning heavyweight champ. If that happens and Jon Jones cleans house in the LH division, we could be seeing these two going at it. In a Jones vs. Overeem match-up, it would be difficult to predict a winner since Jones hits in an unorthodox manner. For Overeem to win, he must close the distance between him and Jones so that Jones won't be able to use his length.

Moreover, Brock is a world-class wrestler. If Brock can't take him down, more so with JDS. With his performance against Brock, Dos Santos, Mir, Velasquez, and Nog would have a hard time beating him. He has the potential to become a long-reigning heavyweight champ. If that happens and Jon Jones cleans house in the LH division, we could be seeing these two going at it. In a Jones vs. Overeem match-up, it would be difficult to predict a winner since Jones hits in an unorthodox manner. For Overeem to win, he must close the distance between him and Jones so that Jones won't be able to use his length.

Don't you think the weight difference would be a deal breaker? Jones has good Muay Thai but Overeem has technique and precision with his. Interesting... Carwin would get thrashed by this guy, MIr would need to get the fight on the ground for any chance to win...

Guest nick fury

Don't you think the weight difference would be a deal breaker? Jones has good Muay Thai but Overeem has technique and precision with his. Interesting... Carwin would get thrashed by this guy, MIr would need to get the fight on the ground for any chance to win...

After clearing house in the LH division, I think Jones would be amenable to go up in weight. Maybe bulk up a bit. I'm not even sure if Carwin or Mir could take Overeem down. If Carwin wants to stand and bang, he'd lose. Overeem has a longer reach and is much taller than Carwin. He'd dictate the fight just by firing jabs and kicking Carwin's legs. I think the only way Carwin could beat Overeem is a lucky punch.

^

LHW doesn't look so cut and dried though. There are a lot of legitimate challengers in the division and quite a few could conceivably dethrone Jones.

I think you're right about Jones being amenable to bulking up though. Big advantage that he's relatively young so gaining that mass to fight at HW should be easier than dropping weight to fight Silva at MW.

HW on the other hand (although I agree with Dana White as well that it's an exciting time for the division) looks pretty lean in terms of contenders for Reem. Don't really see anyone who is at par with him at this point. This also coming off Raghavender's comment about the difficulty in overcoming the physical obstacles going up against both Jones and Overeem respectively.

Guest nick fury

^

LHW doesn't look so cut and dried though. There are a lot of legitimate challengers in the division and quite a few could conceivably dethrone Jones.

I think you're right about Jones being amenable to bulking up though. Big advantage that he's relatively young so gaining that mass to fight at HW should be easier than dropping weight to fight Silva at MW.

HW on the other hand (although I agree with Dana White as well that it's an exciting time for the division) looks pretty lean in terms of contenders for Reem. Don't really see anyone who is at par with him at this point. This also coming off Raghavender's comment about the difficulty in overcoming the physical obstacles going up against both Jones and Overeem respectively.

I almost forgot Hendo. I think he has the tools to beat Silva since Silva has had trouble fighting elite wrestlers in the past like himself and Chael Sonnen. Both took him down with ease. Too bad though both got submitted. I don't think Hendo though could take down Jones since Jones is an excellent wrestler himself so my conclusion is a lucky punch from Hendo could very well be the only way Hendo could beat Jones.

Can a revitalized Cain Velasquez do anything in HW? Mahirap talaga pag galing injury...

Can a revitalized Cain Velasquez do anything in HW? Mahirap talaga pag galing injury...

Agreed. Title defense against JDS was coming off a very long layoff. Thing is, looks like no matter who Cain goes up against next, there's no way it will be an "easy" fight.

@nick fury

Yeah, I think Hendo has the power to go up against Jones should he be able to overcome the range. Wrestling might cancel out given the talent of both.

Guest nick fury

@nick fury

Yeah, I think Hendo has the power to go up against Jones should he be able to overcome the range. Wrestling might cancel out given the talent of both.

I agree with you here. Both are talented wrestlers but, I think, Jones' length might be too much to overcome.

I agree with you here. Both are talented wrestlers but, I think, Jones' length might be too much to overcome.

Jones para sa akin dito... I will go with youth...

Agreed. Title defense against JDS was coming off a very long layoff. Thing is, looks like no matter who Cain goes up against next, there's no way it will be an "easy" fight.

For me to consider Cain to be a legit player in this division, he needs to whoop someone real bad...

wow, Strikeforce never fail to impress me. King Mo should take Rampage, that would be interesting...

King Mo vs Rampage would be great, trash talking and all..

Although I believe the new Strikeforce deal prevents fighters from jumping to UFC, that's why Mendez was calling out fighters from the UFC to fight in SF because he cant go to the UFC due to the deal..

UFC Rio na! I hope Mendes does better than what his team mate Faber did against Aldo..

King Mo vs Rampage would be great, trash talking and all..

Although I believe the new Strikeforce deal prevents fighters from jumping to UFC, that's why Mendez was calling out fighters from the UFC to fight in SF because he cant go to the UFC due to the deal..

UFC Rio na! I hope Mendes does better than what his team mate Faber did against Aldo..

Hoping that Mendes mean... Tired of seeing Brazilians all over the place...

Guest nick fury
1326563557[/url]' post='8091309']

Quite true... Brock came out of injury and then fought Carwin right?

Bukas na laban ni Vitor and Rumble. Aldo vs Mendes. Let's get it on!

Are we talking here of Carwin or Velasquez?