Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

And what will happen to the much Hyped Kimbo Slice!?

if dana wants to make big money, he should get Kimbo on TUF

and Cyborg X Carano would be a great co-main event for a UFC

we do need competition against the UFC, but it will be a long hard road for another promotion to get bigger than the UFC, it will take a lot of money and a solid strategy to be able to compete. It doesn't happen overnight, UFC had a lot of tough times and it has been around since forever, an upstart org would need to really know what its doing in order to compete

and as much as the UFC needed a competitor, i'm glad that Elite folded. Too many freak show fights, and bad press about bribes and such is bad for the sport.

UFC 92 poster for ‘The Ultimate 2008′

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/9429/ufc92posterip4.jpg

Event: UFC 92: “The Ultimate 2008″

Date: Saturday, December 27, 2008, at 10 p.m. ET on pay-per-view (PPV)

Main event:

265 lbs.: UFC Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira () vs. Frank Mir ()

Under card:

205 lbs.: UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Forrest Griffin () vs. Rashad Evans ()

205 lbs.: Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (28-7) vs. Wanderlei Silva (32-8-1)

185 lbs.: Yushin Okami (21-4-1) vs. Dean Lister (11-5)*

265 lbs.: Cheick Kongo (12-4-1) vs. Mustafa Al-Turk (6-3)

185 lbs.: C.B. Dollaway vs. Jorge Rivera

170 lbs.: Ryo Chonan (15-8) vs. Brad Blackburn (12-9-1)*

*Fight not yet officially confirmed by UFC.com

the key is that they have huge amounts of money that they can afford to lose.

the fertitas lost around 40-50 mil putting the UFC together when they bought it from SEG. That's not a small amount. But they did lose that much and they persevered though and committed themselves to making it work

there lots of other rich dudes who have more money than the fertitas but don't have the will or the commitment to see it through. Mark Cuban balked at it, and even donald trump didn't go in all the way.

Affliction could be the next big thing, BUT until they see it as a legit business endeavor, put up a solid business model, they will fold just like everybody else. Currently they only see promoting MMA events as a way to sell more of their shirts. It's part of their marketing and not an actual part of their business as a profit center. I'm willing to bet that they lost a lot of money in the first affliction fight, not that it wasn't successful but because of the huge amount of money required to put it all together (fighter salaries, venue rental, marketing, etc) and the fact that the return is pale compared to the amount that they shelled out.

what's needed is a solid MMA fan (a real one and not a TUF noob who only started following MMA through TUF and training in UFC lol) who has really deep pockets and who has good business sense.

I'm not sure who that is.

Vera still has one fight remaining in his contract with UFC... I believe his next fight would be his "make or break" fight to stay in UFC... He must win impressively, and I mean impressively, for him to be on Dana's good side again...

Affliction's fate really depends on Fedor. They spent tons of money on him just like what EliteXC did with Kimbo. Hell, they are even planning to make a reality show (IMO to match the Ultimate Fighter) wherein there will be a tournament of heavyweight fighters, mostly outside US, and the winner will fight Fedor in one of Affliction's PPV.

My question is that what if Arlovski defeats Fedor on the next PPV, what then Affliction?? Tom Atencio?? and whoever is the genius behind this whole crap.

Or maybe Fedor will crush every opponent that they put in front of him.. who knows..

But then again, I'd rather watch UFC and their two or three or even more main events than to watch Fedor every PPV.. but that's just me.. hehe..

Affliction website promotes Emelianenko vs. Arlovski for Jan. 24

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Oct 22, 2008 at 10:15 am ET

Fedor Emelianenko will apparently meet Andrei Arlovski in the "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" main event, after all.

Although Affliction Entertainment Vice President Tom Atencio recently declined to confirm any details of the event, the organization's website now promotes a Jan. 24 headline fight between the current WAMMA heavyweight champion and the former UFC title-holder.

Josh Barnett, Matt Lindland, Vitor Belfort, Vladimir Matyushenko, Jay Hieron, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Renato "Babalu" Sobral and Chris Horodecki are also promoted as event participants.

The event was originally scheduled to take place Oct. 11 in Las Vegas, but "Day of Reckoning" organizers postponed the event last month. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously mentioned, a new partnership with Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions was cited as the reason for the postponement, but slow ticket sales may also have factored into the decision.

"Day of Reckoning" is expected to take place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. The main card will air on pay per view, and the preliminary card is slated to air on HDNet.

Arlovski (14-5) was last seen successfully defeating IFL champion Roy Nelson at "EliteXC: Heat" earlier this month. The bout was a co-promoted affair between Affliction and the now-defunct EliteXC, which recently alerted the Nevada State Athletic Commission that it's ceased operations.

Prior to the Nelson victory, Arlovski defeated former IFL stand-out Ben Rothwell at Affliction's debut event in July. At that same event, Emelianenko (28-1) defeated former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia with a quick submission victory in the night's main event.

For the latest on "Affliction: Day of Reckoning," including full event coverage, check out the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/13068/affliction...-for-jan-24.mma

Edited by berserker15

I would really love to see Fedor vs. Arlovski! I've always been a Fedor Fan but I must admit may "tulog" sya kay Arlovski!

Dana said if Kimbo wants to be in the UFC, he should join and win in TUF! That would be great for ratings...

Gina Carano vs. Cyborg Santos "where will it happen" sigh :thumbsupsmiley:

I would really love to see Fedor vs. Arlovski! I've always been a Fedor Fan but I must admit may "tulog" sya kay Arlovski!

Dana said if Kimbo wants to be in the UFC, he should join and win in TUF! That would be great for ratings...

Gina Carano vs. Cyborg Santos "where will it happen" sigh :thumbsupsmiley:

Depends on the Arlovski that shows up bro. He's been Jekyll and Hyde recently.

If the Arlovski who fougt Rothwell shows up we'd have one helluva show, but if it's the one who fougt Werdum it could be a short night for him.

UFC 92 poster for ‘The Ultimate 2008′

185 lbs.: Yushin Okami (21-4-1) vs. Dean Lister (11-5)*

I am really looking forward to seeing this fight. Okami's controlling wrestling style against the BJJ ability of someone who was once called the world's best grappler.

I wonder how Demian Meia or Palhares would do against Dean Lister. It'd be a BJJ highlight reel I'm sure.

I am really looking forward to seeing this fight. Okami's controlling wrestling style against the BJJ ability of someone who was once called the world's best grappler.

I wonder how Demian Meia or Palhares would do against Dean Lister. It'd be a BJJ highlight reel I'm sure.

yep good grappling match there indeed, although i'm seeing how Palhares will manhandle Lister, that Palhares guy is one scary dude, and has an iron chin to boot

hehehe he should have Kimbo try out for TUF, let's see him earn his way up and not just rely on hype

and yeah Arlovski has become kinda inconsistent as i've noticed, the Arlovski who fought Nelson wasn't theArlovski who fought Rothwell, i dunno i'm just speculating, maybe he fights better with a bigger purse?

...or fighters should not be tied in on one organization like boxing where you can fight on any org they choose. UFC is smart that way having 'productive' fighters on their stables.

I agree with brownman, fighters are tied to the organization thus making it hard to get new exciting match ups...the boxing organizational set up i guess will work well in any mma event and the way it is being run...in terms of business.

hehehe he should have Kimbo try out for TUF, let's see him earn his way up and not just rely on hype

and yeah Arlovski has become kinda inconsistent as i've noticed, the Arlovski who fought Nelson wasn't theArlovski who fought Rothwell, i dunno i'm just speculating, maybe he fights better with a bigger purse?

Of course any fighter will fight better for big money! kaw papatalo kaba sa bilyar kun 20k mo nakataya...

there is always something at stake, all that i'm saying is siguro mas ganado si Arlovski kapag mas mataas sa usual purse nya ang binibigay sa kanya, and kasi nakatikim na ng mas malaki, nawawalan siya ng gana kapag bumalik sa usual yung ibibigay sa kanya. ^_^

i know it's become a business of sort, but a real fighter worries about the fight first then money second. its just that nowadays the fighters seem to worry about the money first instead of the fight. MMA is still a growing sport and with that kind of primadonna attitude it, as a sport, won't take off sooner than when they would like.

Kimbo on TUF is not such a bad idea

ratings will shoot through the roof, especially now that they don't boot fighters out of the house after they lose.

--------

yeah that would be nice, they should also have a backyard brawl while they're at the house it should be Kimbo VS any other fighter included in the TUF cast ^_^

Kimbo on TUF is not such a bad idea

ratings will shoot through the roof, especially now that they don't boot fighters out of the house after they lose.

--------

dapat TUF: The Comeback II yan.. starring Kimbo Slice, Tank Abbott, Scott Ferrozo, Dan Severn, & Kimo Leopoldo! :lol:

nakalimutan ko.. Joe Son!

Edited by fatso8
UFC 90 preview: Anderson Silva to defend title amid retirement talk

by Steve Sievert on Oct 24, 2008 at 6:30 am ET

Welcome to the Anderson Silva Farewell Tour. First stop, UFC 90 Saturday at Allstate Arena near Chicago.

Silva, the consensus pick for the top pound-for-pound mixed martial artist in the world, is set to face Canadian Patrick Cote in the fourth defense of his UFC middleweight title in what Silva calls the beginning of the end of his MMA career.

Despite being only 33 years old and having fought on the ultimate stage of the UFC for less than three years, Silva has openly commented that he intends to fulfill the final six fights on his UFC contract and then walk away from the sport. Few athletes, and even fewer in combat sports, retire from their chosen craft while at the very pinnacle of their primes.

"Even before Anderson came into the UFC, his goal has always been to retire at the age of 35," said Silva's manager, Ed Soares. "He's actually talking about it much sooner than all of us would have liked, but the reality of it is, his goal is to retire at 35. He loves fighting, but his goal has been to retire at 35."

Time will tell us if Silva sticks to his word, but this much is clear: Silva is a different breed of athlete. Not only is the Brazilian capable of making world-class fighters look like they stepped into the cage for the first time, he is as self-assured as they come. The language barrier and Silva's choice to remain in his native Brazil make "The Spider" something of an enigma in the States, but his confidence, focus and composure are apparent every time he enters the octagon.

Silva's decision to talk retire now seems partly fueled by his utter dominance of the UFC's middleweight division. Dan Henderson and Travis Lutter had moments of success against Silva, but no fighter has truly been able to threaten him. A slew of intriguing match-ups are in the offing at light heavyweight, and at least a couple of his remaining six matches could be contested at 205. However, the idea of conquering another weight class hasn't dampened the retirement talk.

Fans should savor watching Silva (22-4 MMA, 7-0 UFC) while they still can. The match-up with Cote, at least on paper, is the least challenging during Silva's title reign. Cote, 28, is a solid fighter on a five-fight winning streak, but he hasn't been in the cage with the overall quality of opposition Silva has faced.

A look at outcomes against a pair of common opponents offers some insight into how the action could unfold Saturday night. Silva stopped both Lutter (by second-round submission) and Chris Leben (by KO in 49 seconds) in efficient fashion. Cote (13-4 MMA, 4-4 UFC) lost to both. Lutter took him out via submission in the first while Leben earned a split decision.

That's of little consequence to Cote, however, who is talking confidently about finding a chink in Silva's unbeaten UFC armor.

"We know exactly how to beat him. I just have to do it," Cote said. "I respect this fighter a lot. He's one of the best in the world, but I ain't scared of him, and I like my chances against him. We're very confident [i'll] be the champion at the end of this night. We're going to push the pace and give him a real war."

It's surprisingly lively talk from a combatant, who, according to most rankings, isn't even a top 10 fighter in the division. An unexpected win by Cote would rival the upset victory Matt Serra scored against Georges St. Pierre at UFC 69, and it would deny Silva a chance to tie the record for most consecutive victories in the octagon. Silva's run currently stands at seven.

Koscheck steps up to face Alves

A welterweight showdown between Diego Sanchez and Thiago Alves was one of the most anticipated fights on the UFC 90 card – until a rib injury forced Sanchez out of the co-main event. However, an equally compelling match-up was pieced together when Josh Koscheck agreed to fill the void created by Sanchez's departure.

These two 170-pounders are at the top of their respective games. Since losing to Jon Fitch in June of 2006, the 25-year-old Alves (15-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC) has been on a roll, winning six straight, including five by knockout or TKO. He looked particularly impressive against Matt Hughes his last time out, with no lasting implications for his failure to make weight due to an ankle injury sustained just before the bout.

Koscheck, 30, the guy many fans love to hate, shows improved striking skills virtually every time out to complement his always-on wrestling. "Kos" is 7-1 in his past eight bouts with his only loss to St. Pierre. Koscheck (11-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) didn't hesitate to the take the fight on short notice.

"I felt like it should have been me and him in the first place," Koscheck said. "I'd been in the gym training really hard for my upcoming fight in December. I just had to change a couple of things in the last week. It was just fine tuning a couple little things, working on strategy and changing my diet."

The winner of the fight should be next in line for a shot at the welterweight belt.

Another potentially intriguing bout on the main card pits Tyson Griffin (12-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) against Sean Sherk (32-3-1 MMA, 6-3 UFC) in a lightweight match-up of two top 10 fighters. For Griffin, it would be a signature win over a former champion. Sherk, meanwhile, hasn't tasted victory in more than a year after being manhandled by B.J. Penn at UFC 84 in May and serving a drug suspension.

UFC 90 is the promotion's first trip to Chicago. Until earlier this year, Illinois had a law on the books that prevented the state's athletic commission from sanctioning MMA events, though exemptions allowed a handful of organizations to host un-regulated shows.

MAIN CARD

* Anderson Silva vs. Patrick Cote (for middleweight title)

* Thiago Alves vs. Josh Koscheck

* Fabricio Werdum vs. Junior dos Santos

* Sean Sherk vs. Tyson Griffin

* Rich Clementi vs. Gray Maynard

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Thales Leites vs. Drew McFedries

* Spencer Fisher vs. Shannon Gugerty

* Dan Miller vs. Matt Horwich

* Marcus Aurelio vs. Hermes Franca

* Josh Burkman vs. Pete Sell

source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/13082/ufc-90-pre...rement-talk.mma