Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

yeah after the Tim fight, i must admit that Choi did better than Tim against Fedor. or was it that Fedor knew already what to do as he had experience in fighting Choi previous Tim.

what i'd like to see next is a Aleksander Vs Tim fight, hehehe lets he he tries to jab a UD against that banger. ^_^

Yup Aleksander against Big Timmy would be cool. Aleksander has the same power and aggressive style his brother has but with less "oxygen". hehe. and Tim's gone the 5 rounds (championship rounds) in the UFC several times. Maybe against him he'll have a slightly better chance.

Diego Sanchez vs. Thiago Alves at UFC 90

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jul 24, 2008 at 10:01 am ET

Diego SanchezA bout between welterweight contenders Diego Sanchez (19-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) and Thiago Alves (15-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC) originally earmarked for UFC 89 has instead been pushed back to the following week's Chicago-area UFC 90 event.

A source close to one of the fighters confirmed the move with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

However, despite reports that the fight would headline the event, the source tells us that the Sanchez vs. Alves bout could end up with co-main-event status.

UFC 90 takes place Oct. 25 at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill., near Chicago.

For Alves, who most recently defeated contenders Karo Parisyan and Matt Hughers, this latest booking would be another crack at a top-10 opponent. For Sanchez, it would be his biggest opportunity to prove he's back to his top form.

Alves, who hasn't lost since a second-round TKO defeat to Jon Fitch in August 2006, most recently fought and defeated Hughes in a late-booked main event for UFC 85. Despite failing to make weight (claiming an ankle injury he said he suffered in the days before the fight), Alves dominated all aspects of the bout, eventually forcing a second-round TKO stoppage due to strikes.

It was sixth consecutive victory in the UFC, which has included wins over Parisyan, Chris Lytle and John Alessio. Of his eight UFC wins, seven have come via knockout.

Sanchez, meanwhile, will look to continue the momentum of back-to-back victories over David Bielkheden and Luigi Fioravanti. After beginning his career with 17 consecutive victories to emerge as a top contender, Sanchez suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Josh Koscheck (though Sanchez was dealing with a staph infection) and then a split-decision loss to Fitch.

As we previously reported, discussions have been underway that could move Anderson Silva's next title defense from a tentative UFC 88 date to UFC 89. However, a source close to the event now tells MMAjunkie.com that UFC 90 is also under consideration for Silva's title defense, which could come against Patrick Cote. An announcement is expected soon.

For the latest on UFC 90, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

Keith Jardine says he's fighting Brandon Vera at UFC 89

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jul 23, 2008 at 11:52 am ET

Keith Jardine (13-4-1 MMA, 5-3 UFC) will look to rebound from his recent loss to Wanderlei Silva when he meets Brandon Vera (9-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) at UFC 89, an event that takes place Oct. 18 at The NIA in Birmingham, England.

Jardine today announced the fight on an Albuquerque radio show.

The light heavyweight bout will likely end up on the night's main card, which currently features a headline bout between Michael Bisping and Chris Leben.

However, the UFC has yet to announce the fight.

Jardine most recently suffered a stunning, 36-second knockout to Wanderlei Silva at UFC 84. The loss came right after the biggest win of his career -- a split-decision victory over Chuck Liddell in September 2007.

With a May 2007 loss to Houston Alexander, the Team Jackson fight has now lost two of his past three fights -- the first such stretch of his seven-year career.

Vera, meanwhile, will look to shake a recent three-fight funk. After a unanimous-decision loss to Tim Sylvia at UFC 77, Vera then suffered a first-round TKO to Fabricio Werdum at UFC 85. He then decided to drop to 205 pounds, and though he scored a unanimous-decision victory over UFC newcomer Reese Andy at this past weekend's UFC Fight Night 14, the performance was flat and heavily criticized.

The fight with Jardine is essentially a must-win for Vera, a former top heavyweight contender who had, at one time, been promised a title shot with then-champ Tim Sylvia, but a feud with his manager kept the fight from happening. Since returning from that year-long layoff, Vera -- who began his UFC career with four consecutive stoppage victories -- has posted three lackluster performances.

For the latest on UFC 89, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

I pick Thiago to win over the Nightmare.

and Yes it is a must win for Brandon. So I hope he does pull off against the Dean of Mean. And does it convincingly.

yup Pitbull over Nightmare, as long as he shows the same aggressiveness he showed against Hughes, although you can't overlook the wins Diego had recently, i was rooting for him in that loss to Fitch but he just got overpowered by Fitch.

and yes Brandon really needs to win over Keith, Keith has been a gatekeeper of sorts to the upper echelon of the UFC LHW division. a win against The Dean of Mean means Brandon is ready for those boys up the division. hope he grapples Jardine out who is very dangerous standing up. i mean i really haven't seen Jardine's ground game of sorts & as geneticfreak advised Brandon's grappling is not really shabby, so against Jardine who is no BJJ blackbelt i believe so Brandon can outgrapple him as i see the standup pretty much equal. Jardine can rock with haymakers so as Brandon can kick someone senseless.

i hope he wears the Pinoy flag fightshorts again in this fight. ^_^

Brock Lesnar is on UFC 87

Yup. And as much as I want him to finally win in the UFC and prove himself The Texas Crazy Horse has been one of my all time favorites. Was honored to finally got to meet him when he did commentary for the Ring of Fire show at Araneta last December. I love not only due to his various hairdo's but also his exciting fighting style. I like what he said in the countdown show. It was also exactly what he said during the countdown show back when before he fought a bigger, stronger Chieck Kongo. "He's not gonna bring me anything that I haven't seen before" and that is true. He has the experience advantage over Brock and I hope it's enough to negate Lesnar's size and strength advantage.

Guys! Lets talk Elite XC naman! Damn! Just watched lawler vs. smith 2! Knockout si Smith sa round 1!? Kala ko he'd put up a better fight but I always knew lawler would win!? And move over Gina Carano!? Cris Cyborg is in the house, if you guys dont know her she's the wife of Evangelista Cyborg Santos the Chute Boxe fighter!? The way she KTFO Shayna Baszler!? And her jiu jitsu skills very good, escaping all the subs that Shayna pulled!? Anyone here for women MMA?! Well I'm into it! sino pa??? :thumbsupsmiley:

^^^^

mas exciting pa talaga minsan laban ng mga babae. tulad nung ring of fire, astig yung laban ni evinger!

mukhang bini build up nila cyborg vs. carano ah. sana mangyari na, ewan ko ba, gusto ko matalo si carano eh, hehe.

sana makalaban na din mga female japanese fighters sa elite xc.

and Yes it is a must win for Brandon. So I hope he does pull off against the Dean of Mean. And does it convincingly.

I'll never bet against brandon, but I'm afraid for him. but yes it's a must win, if he loses he'll lose his big draw status for sure, and probably be just fight out his remaining contract before the UFC decides to let him go.

on lesnar X Herring

Texas Crazy Horse all the way! Too bad they don't allow knees on the ground in the UFC, that was a huge part of his arsenal during his pride days

Ken Shamrock is the world's most dangerous man not fedor hehehe.. kelan nga yung big nog vs. Mir match.. i hope bumalik na talaga yung totoongmir after the accident.. good match up to but has the potential of being boring kasi pareho ju jitsu guys..

kenny boy aint that dangerous nowadays, specially after that TKO loss to an unknown fighter from the UK, grabe 1st round...

Big Nog over Mir, sa tingin ko the win he had over Lesnar was a lucky break for him, imagine him getting pounded by Brock, then the ref stops Brock saying he hit Frank in the back of the head. kaya ayun nung pangalawang beses na binabasag ni Brock mukha ni Mir medjo nagaalangan na siguro kaya pinasok yung legs nya sa position na yun kaya na rolling kneebar siya ng hindi oras.

basta lets go Brandon!

Ken is washed up. The problem he has is he still believes he is still training the the best team in the world aka his Lion's Den. You are only as good as the people you train with. And the Lion's Den has not introduced any type of innovation at all to their fight game. It is so 1994-1995 "ish" still.

As for Mir getting lucky. Well yah he was lucky. And Brock made a rookie mistake and oh that bad call from Mazzagatti helped him out too.

Ken Shamrock is the world's most dangerous man not fedor hehehe.. kelan nga yung big nog vs. Mir match.. i hope bumalik na talaga yung totoongmir after the accident.. good match up to but has the potential of being boring kasi pareho ju jitsu guys..

sa December yung Heavyweight Championship match ni Big Nog at Frank Mir...

Co Main Event of the Second Affliction Promoted Fight is Tito Ortiz vs. Renato "babalu" Sobral...

I have been a big Babalu fan for the biggest time and actually wondered why the heck Tito had not fought him back in the UFC but now we're gonna get a chance to see them in action against one another.

I hope Babalu wins by some wicked submission. However we all know how good Tito (a former runner up in the ADCC) has gotten on the ground especially off his back, nearly catching Machida last time with a triangle during his last stint in the UFC.

I have been a big Babalu fan for the biggest time and actually wondered why the heck Tito had not fought him back in the UFC but now we're gonna get a chance to see them in action against one another.

I hope Babalu wins by some wicked submission. However we all know how good Tito (a former runner up in the ADCC) has gotten on the ground especially off his back, nearly catching Machida last time with a triangle during his last stint in the UFC.

yep Tito's as good as they come. he transitioned that triangle to an armbar. but yeah Babalu should win via a wicked sub, maybe an anaconda choke or a standing kimura that he'll to the ground. hehe

that main event would be the battle of the bad boys! the Huntington Beach Bad Boy Vs the Ex-Con! hehehe ^_^

Edited by riceb0i

Man just read Josh Gross column at SI!? It seems that rampage had another "episode" (the first one before his second fight with W. Silva last 2004 and becoming a born again Christian) meaning a mental breakdown! Just as I thought!? Fired Juanito Ibarra as his trainer/manager and the UFC is setting him up for a W. Silva vs. Rampage part 3 this coming Nov. Man this is a fight I always wanna see inside the cage but given Rampages mental state, eventhough he's getting professional help and going to therapies. I mean is he gonna be ready for W. Silva on Nov?! :thumbsdownsmiley:

i hope mir wins.. im a big fan of mir since he he broke tim syla's arm... yan ang tinatawag na arm breaking win.. pero dihado nga sya dito.. pareho sila ok sa jiu jitsu pero syempre big nog has the edge as to stand up many say this is where mir has a chance big nog boxing si mir kenpo karate... pero i think what would determine is mir's conditioning....

by the way, somebody posted na si don fry yung first na all around fighter sa UFC. sorry i beg to disagree si frank shamrock yung considered na prototype ng isang mma fighter...

hmmm.. as to new fights parang maganda yung next fight ni lyoto machida kalaban nya yung undefeated din na brazilian i forgot the name.. i think after this match if machida wins. which i think he will, dapat may title fight na sya he defeated many great names already.. rich franklin, bj pen, tito, sokodju... dapat nga sya na no. 1 contender eh hehe

i hope mir wins.. im a big fan of mir since he he broke tim syla's arm... yan ang tinatawag na arm breaking win.. pero dihado nga sya dito.. pareho sila ok sa jiu jitsu pero syempre big nog has the edge as to stand up many say this is where mir has a chance big nog boxing si mir kenpo karate... pero i think what would determine is mir's conditioning....

by the way, somebody posted na si don fry yung first na all around fighter sa UFC. sorry i beg to disagree si frank shamrock yung considered na prototype ng isang mma fighter...

hmmm.. as to new fights parang maganda yung next fight ni lyoto machida kalaban nya yung undefeated din na brazilian i forgot the name.. i think after this match if machida wins. which i think he will, dapat may title fight na sya he defeated many great names already.. rich franklin, bj pen, tito, sokodju... dapat nga sya na no. 1 contender eh hehe

That's thiago silva you're referring to. As for your comment on who has the advantage standing up between Nog and Frank Mir I actually think they're quite equal. The fact that Mir has a Kenpo Karate background doesn't in my opinion give him any advantage over Nog apart from the fact he maybe a bit better with his kicks than Nog (Nog however has honed his skills with the Brazilian Boxing Team so I think he is better with the hands).

Also, between the two I think Nog has the stronger chin, having never been knocked out or even stopped in any of his fights (Fedor couldn't even finish him off) and Mir having been knocked out in the past by Ian "the Machine" Freeman and our very own Brandon Vera.

I agree with what you said though about Mir's conditioning. He hasn't been the same since the motorcycle accident and his conditioning (or his lack thereof) might just be the deciding factor in this fight.

yep he's fighting Thiago Silva, but that dude ain't no pushover either. just to comment on what you said about Lyoto defeating defeating great names, hmmm i'd think twice about it he beat a Rich Franklin that wasn't that great yet, he beat a chubby BJ Penn who was way over his fight weight and Soku well Soku still has some octagon jitters i'd say, but if you saw how he schooled Nakamura on their fight in UFC 76 now that was exceptional. btw i'm a Lyoto fan as well chief. ^_^