Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

Anderson Silva (22-4) def. James Irvin (14-5-1)

How: TKO, 1:01 round one

Key moment: Silva caught an Irvin kick, landed a crushing straight right and finished him on the ground.

blik middleweight ulit tong c spider?

Grabe tong si Silva. Sino pa ba pwede nilang ilaban sa kanya sa mw? Okami? Bisping? Yun na lang naiisip ko 2. Pero di masyado mabenta yun. Unless bisping kung sa england.

Pero pag LHW grabe daming interesting na match up! Liddell vs. Silva!!! Guaranteed box office!

Of course, MW champion sya eh... Okami is dead pagbalik nya sa MW, heheheh!

Kaya lang naman sya lumaban as LHW because he cant say no to Dana White who was desperate to put up a card na pangtapat sa Affliction... And he stressed that he can fight at LHW but the LHW belt belongs to Lyoto Machida...

Parang mas magandang panoorin yung boxing. Sa boxing may grace saka brutality on the otherhand sa MMA pure brutality di ko maapreciate lalo na pag grapling na, parang yung tendency palagi sa MMA e humantong sa posisyon na magkapatong yung dalawang naglalaban. Mas maganda kasi yung movement sa boxing tapos inaanticipate mo yung knockout punch o kaya maapreciate mo yung counter punch nung boxingero(e.g. Marquez technical savvy). Opinyon lang po, peace to all ^_^ ^_^

There is just no comparison, you dont compare apples and oranges, or orange and lemons, heheheh... But I fully understand what you are trying to arrive at... You dont like ground games. I also enjoyed boxing (in fact, I enjoyed watching it since I was a kid kaya ngayong matanda na ako ay nagboboxing na ako, heheheh!), but there is totally a different level of enjoyment kapag nanonood ka ng MMA (kaya nga mixed martial arts ang tawag eh, halo-halong martial arts, hehehe), the same thing with watching grappling or wrestling matches. Its totally different from one another, especially if you know something about those disciplines...

Anyway, if you are really into boxing, sigurado mag-eenjoy ka dito:

http://www.mmashare.com/belford-vs-martin-...nned-t2088.html

http://www.mmashare.com/josh-barnett-vs-pe...nned-t2014.html

http://www.mmashare.com/arlovski-vs-ben-ro...nned-t2019.html

Lalo na ito:

http://www.mmashare.com/anderson-silva-vs-...t-14-t2013.html

(and that guy wants to fight Roy Jones Jr., in a boxing match... What can you say about that?)

How about this? It started out as boxing and ended as grappling, heheheh:

http://www.mmashare.com/fedor-vs-sylvia-fi...nned-t1782.html

Anyway, talaga namang mas enjoy panoorin ang boxing, especially kung kilala mo yung mga naglalaban... Ganun din naman sa MMA, mag-eenjoy ka rin kung kilala mo yung mga naglalaban... Whether its a stand up or ground fight.

I think there is no doubt that Anderson Silva is the best pound for pound FIGHTER...

BTW, Lyoto fighting Thiago Silva in UFC 89 is a bunch of crap, Lyoto's title shot is long overdue...

But in fairness to Thiago, this will be an awesome fight, both undefeated and both coming from a great victory..

Hope that if Lyoto wins this one, Dana would give him his title shot.

37 seconds to put away Tim Sylvia! Hope Fedor shuts up lot of critics out there!? I'm waiting for Dana White will say next... Not a top 5 Heavyweight ey!? He be like: Umm Fedor got Lucky blah blah... Tim S. is on d way down blah blah!? Thats why we drop him in the UFC! Haha!!! Pretty lame coz they cant sign Fedor in the UFC?! Umm... well not yet but come on Anderson Sylvia pound for pound?! Come on Fedor vs. A. Silva what do you think?! This is a no brainer?! And by d way nobody wants to see a Fedor vs. Nog 4, we all know what happend in their 2 1/2 fights!? Fedor vs Randy make it happend!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Nice to see Fedor "destroy" Tim rather easily. I'm sure Dana's gonna quadruple his efforts now to try and sign the guy. And for all intensive reasons I hope he does. And I hope Randy comes back to fight him.

As for the guy here who compared boxing with mma. I advise you to try and search for that vid where Joe Rogan was in a debate with a boxing promoter on espn regarding boxing vs. mma. And I think this will sway your opinon. As he states during the debate. Boxing is not fighting. Boxing is combat limited to using only your hands. MMA on the other hand is fighting. Though it has rules in place for fighter safety it is the closest, most legitimate you'll ever get to having a fight as a sport or a competition.

"Parang mas magandang panoorin yung boxing. Sa boxing may grace saka brutality on the otherhand sa MMA pure brutality di ko maapreciate lalo na pag grapling na, parang yung tendency palagi sa MMA e humantong sa posisyon na magkapatong yung dalawang naglalaban."

Admittedly MMA is a lot more violent than boxing will ever be. But think about it how many deaths have ever resulted from a legit MMA fight (I believe there is only one during an MMA event last year in Russia) and from those of boxing. I know you may argue that boxing is the much older than MMA but still safety nets all over MMA. Aside from the usual intervention by the refs you have the beauty of the "tap" verbal or otherwise and this has saved a lot of fighters from acquiring any serious injury. A lot of rule changes have also been made to ensure fighter safety like the nevada resolution to disallow kicks to a downed opponent to the head and the prohibition of kidney strikes from the guard. MMA is actually a lot safer and a more "civilized" than a lot of people seem to think.

If you don't appreciate grappling I suggest you watch the fights of Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, Randy Couture, Dean Lister and Marcelo Garcia just to name a few. Maybe by watching them and learning about the techniques you would gain an appreciation of grappling and it's practical use in fighting. I have actually choked a couple of people during a street fight myself. The ground game is a big part of any fight (even street fights) not just MMA so when people do end up on top of one another it's just part of the game. And what you see as being boring is actually a chess match on the ground it just so happened that you don't know any of the techniques that's why you don't appreciate it.

"Mas maganda kasi yung movement sa boxing tapos inaanticipate mo yung knockout punch o kaya maapreciate mo yung counter punch nung boxingero(e.g. Marquez technical savvy). Opinyon lang po, peace to all"

And you don't have this in MMA?! I beg to differ sir! Just watch the fights of Anderson Silva, Chuck Lidell, Wanderlei Silva, Mirko Crocop just to name a few. You'd be surprised at the KO's these guys can produce. And these are KO's not just using the hands as in boxing but by the feet as well (knee strikes included). Watch Anderson Silva and see how pinpoint his striking is (and how technical) or Chuck (with his counter punching) and you will see that KO's or technical striking is not limited to people in boxing alone.

Let me just add the fact that in MMA anything can happen. The sheer multitude of techniques that can be used from the many arts studied in MMA (boxing,wrestling,muay thai,BJJ and others) just adds another dimension to an MMA fight. And it is becuase of this uncertainty that MMA matches are far more exciting in my opinion than any boxing match. Don't get me wrong though I am not bashing boxing as a sport here (I'm a big Pacquiao fan as well). I'm just saying that in terms of technique and the number of possible outcomes (and thus excitement) boxing pales compared to MMA.

If you don't believe just check out last year's best fights. Serra vs. GSP, Gonzaga vs. Crocop, Randy vs. Tim Sylvia, Jardine vs. Forrest, Quinton vs. Chuck and a whole lot more. You might still be watching MMA fights from the good old Shamrock vs. Dan Severn days that's why you got that "boring" outlook on MMA.

There'll be a martial arts festival sa Star City from JUly 25-27 (that's this weekend). During this GAB sponsored event there'll be demos from the many different martial arts namely: taekwondo, aikido, ju-do, muay-thai, brazilian and japanese jiu-jitsu and many others. They will also be holding a Yaw Yan Fighting Challenge to highlight the said event.

I believe there is only one during an MMA event last year in Russia

Actually there are two, Doug Dedge (the guy who fought in Ukraine) from way back in the 90s when the sport was in its infancy and no real systems in place (the fighter had a pre-existing medical condition and should have never stepped inside the ring), and Sam Vasquez last year.

but yes Boxing has more fight related deaths in the last 18 years that MMA was in around. Boxing averages around 11 deaths per year from fight related injuries mostly concussions and brain swelling. Injuries that you will rarely see in an MMA bout.

Why?

The violent nature of MMA, and the chance for horrible injuries has forced sanctioning bodies to enforce stricter rules with MMA. It is because of the possibility of irrepairable damage that MMA is one of the safest combat sports in the world today. Unlike boxing, MMA fighters are not counted out, once a referree sees that the fighter is in trouble and cannot intelligently defend himself, the fight is stopped, no ifs nor buts about it. In a boxing match you have to wait until the other fighter goes down, and then count him out, sometimes even if a fighter is obviously outclassed and unfit to continue, the fight goes on simply because he stood up before 10 and nodded his head when the referee asked him if he was okay. MMA doesn't allow knees to the head while on the ground, groin shots, finger locks, biting, eye gouging, fish hooking, strikes to the back of the head, and now soccer kicks and head stomps are banned too. this all adds up to fighter safety in the end.

Another factor to remember is that MMA has so many ways to win, not just hitting the other guys head until he falls. You can choke out your opponent, have him submit to a joint lock, win on points. In MMA you can win without causing serious injury to your opponent. No such option in boxing. How many boxing matches have you seen where the fighters didn't go to the hospital right after the fight? MMA fighters especially UFC fighters are up and about just a few minutes after their bouts, with minor bruises but relatively ok, boxers in some of their bouts often end up in the hospital even if they won to check for concussions and put them under observation.

Boxing is boxing, but very soon MMA will overtake boxing in popularity (if not already), boxing won't die, but in the general order of things, pretty soon MMA will become the most popular combat sport in the world.

Actually there are two, Doug Dedge (the guy who fought in Ukraine) from way back in the 90s when the sport was in its infancy and no real systems in place (the fighter had a pre-existing medical condition and should have never stepped inside the ring), and Sam Vasquez last year.

Boxing is boxing, but very soon MMA will overtake boxing in popularity (if not already), boxing won't die, but in the general order of things, pretty soon MMA will become the most popular combat sport in the world.

Amen to that. :thumbsupsmiley: And thanks for the correction sir.

lol

as much as i don't want to turn this into another boxing vs mma debate

this is obviously coming from a person who has only watched 1 mma fight in his entire life.

marami lang siguro akong napanood na mga grapplers. Naalala kong mga name Tank Abbot, Shamrock and there is this guy kamukha ni Freddie Mercury

--------------------

dailymotion.com is your friend

-----

Once again Fedor proves why he is the best heavyweight in MMA today. He looked about as fast as BJ Penn out there, and I've never seen Sylvia dominated like that ever, it seemed like it was Tim's first MMA fight ever. He looked really lost out there.

Nice to see Fedor "destroy" Tim rather easily. I'm sure Dana's gonna quadruple his efforts now to try and sign the guy. And for all intensive reasons I hope he does. And I hope Randy comes back to fight him.

As for the guy here who compared boxing with mma. I advise you to try and search for that vid where Joe Rogan was in a debate with a boxing promoter on espn regarding boxing vs. mma. And I think this will sway your opinon. As he states during the debate. Boxing is not fighting. Boxing is combat limited to using only your hands. MMA on the other hand is fighting. Though it has rules in place for fighter safety it is the closest, most legitimate you'll ever get to having a fight as a sport or a competition.

"Parang mas magandang panoorin yung boxing. Sa boxing may grace saka brutality on the otherhand sa MMA pure brutality di ko maapreciate lalo na pag grapling na, parang yung tendency palagi sa MMA e humantong sa posisyon na magkapatong yung dalawang naglalaban."

Admittedly MMA is a lot more violent than boxing will ever be. But think about it how many deaths have ever resulted from a legit MMA fight (I believe there is only one during an MMA event last year in Russia) and from those of boxing. I know you may argue that boxing is the much older than MMA but still safety nets all over MMA. Aside from the usual intervention by the refs you have the beauty of the "tap" verbal or otherwise and this has saved a lot of fighters from acquiring any serious injury. A lot of rule changes have also been made to ensure fighter safety like the nevada resolution to disallow kicks to a downed opponent to the head and the prohibition of kidney strikes from the guard. MMA is actually a lot safer and a more "civilized" than a lot of people seem to think.

If you don't appreciate grappling I suggest you watch the fights of Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, Randy Couture, Dean Lister and Marcelo Garcia just to name a few. Maybe by watching them and learning about the techniques you would gain an appreciation of grappling and it's practical use in fighting. I have actually choked a couple of people during a street fight myself. The ground game is a big part of any fight (even street fights) not just MMA so when people do end up on top of one another it's just part of the game. And what you see as being boring is actually a chess match on the ground it just so happened that you don't know any of the techniques that's why you don't appreciate it.

"Mas maganda kasi yung movement sa boxing tapos inaanticipate mo yung knockout punch o kaya maapreciate mo yung counter punch nung boxingero(e.g. Marquez technical savvy). Opinyon lang po, peace to all"

And you don't have this in MMA?! I beg to differ sir! Just watch the fights of Anderson Silva, Chuck Lidell, Wanderlei Silva, Mirko Crocop just to name a few. You'd be surprised at the KO's these guys can produce. And these are KO's not just using the hands as in boxing but by the feet as well (knee strikes included). Watch Anderson Silva and see how pinpoint his striking is (and how technical) or Chuck (with his counter punching) and you will see that KO's or technical striking is not limited to people in boxing alone.

Let me just add the fact that in MMA anything can happen. The sheer multitude of techniques that can be used from the many arts studied in MMA (boxing,wrestling,muay thai,BJJ and others) just adds another dimension to an MMA fight. And it is becuase of this uncertainty that MMA matches are far more exciting in my opinion than any boxing match. Don't get me wrong though I am not bashing boxing as a sport here (I'm a big Pacquiao fan as well). I'm just saying that in terms of technique and the number of possible outcomes (and thus excitement) boxing pales compared to MMA.

If you don't believe just check out last year's best fights. Serra vs. GSP, Gonzaga vs. Crocop, Randy vs. Tim Sylvia, Jardine vs. Forrest, Quinton vs. Chuck and a whole lot more. You might still be watching MMA fights from the good old Shamrock vs. Dan Severn days that's why you got that "boring" outlook on MMA.

so in your opinion what is the most effective style in MMA? Ano yung tawag sa style nung MMA fighter na naka mow hock, the guy in that nickelback video?

sa boxing kasi walang superman punch & spinning backfist, kaya mas exciting MMA! :D

kidding aside, ang nakakabilib w/ MMArtists is the ability to give & receive punishment..

isipin mo na lang kung gano kasakit yung pagsalo sa mga suntok at sipa na manipis ang gloves and yet, nakatayo pa din sila able to instill the same type of punishment to their opponents..

===

Sayang, di papalabas Affliction dito.. Read somewhere that they sold out the Honda Center, sana maganda din PPV buys. HWs of Affliction >> UFC, at least on paper.

so in your opinion what is the most effective style in MMA? Ano yung tawag sa style nung MMA fighter na naka mow hock, the guy in that nickelback video?

not sure what style you're referring to, because implying straight from the name Mixed Martial Arts, there's no longer one specific style, but a hybrid of styles encompassing all ranges of fighting from punching, kicking, clinch (elbows and knees) down to grappling.

style vs. style is so UFC 1

but to partly answer your question the guy in the mohawk is Chuck Liddel and his martial arts background came from Kenpo Karate.

ang kenpo diba parang kickboxing din siya?

styles makes fight = old UFC days (eto yung panahon na walang weight class pa, tamang t** kwon do vs boxing, BJJ vs karate, wrestling vs kick boxing, etc)

ngayon kasi fighters makes fights, sa dami ng pwedeng pag cross train nila mga disciplines mahirap na talaga sabihin na iisa lang ang style na gamit nila, although meron dominant, kasi kung BJJ practitioner yung fighter simula't sapul malamang submission expert yun, kaso if you saw how BJ Penn destroyed Sean Sherk without using BJJ grappling, prang ni-rape ni Penn sa suntok si Sherk.

Yeah! After UFC 1 everybody started learning jiujitsu, then the wrestlers came in! Its was Don Frye (Freddie Mercury look alike) was one of the first fighters who can strike/boxe and grapple/wrestle in the UFC. You guys are right its not style vs. style anymore but more of a fighter vs. fighter nowadays! And its true that MMA is more brutal than boxing but its what we have close to a "real" fight is! Brutal! Theres no "grace" in a fight!!! Never submitted/ choked anybody in my life (only fought in the streets) but always GnP footstomped and soccerkicked f#&kers in their heads after I knocked them to the ground!!! All fights ends up on the ground! Congrats to Hansen for winning the DREAM Lightweight GrandPrix!!! Never expected that after he lost to Alvarez in the second round of the grand prix!!!Just waiting for Fitch vs. St. Pierre, anu take nyo dito mga pare!? Fitch ako dito!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Yeah! After UFC 1 everybody started learning jiujitsu, then the wrestlers came in! Its was Don Frye (Freddie Mercury look alike) was one of the first fighters who can strike/boxe and grapple/wrestle in the UFC. You guys are right its not style vs. style anymore but more of a fighter vs. fighter nowadays! And its true that MMA is more brutal than boxing but its what we have close to a "real" fight is! Brutal! Theres no "grace" in a fight!!! Never submitted/ choked anybody in my life (only fought in the streets) but always GnP footstomped and soccerkicked f#&kers in their heads after I knocked them to the ground!!! All fights ends up on the ground! Congrats to Hansen for winning the DREAM Lightweight GrandPrix!!! Never expected that after he lost to Alvarez in the second round of the grand prix!!!Just waiting for Fitch vs. St. Pierre, anu take nyo dito mga pare!? Fitch ako dito!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Hmmm.. Honestly I find this quite hard to call. Fitch in my opinion has a "controlling" style much like a Yushin Okami wherein he uses his base and wrestling to take people down and control them. He's a really good wrestler and he showed it when he defeated Thiago Alves (who Matt Hughes failed to defeat the last time out). But no mistake about it GSP's wrestling has come a long way (even being asked to be part of Canada's Olympic Wrestling Team), this from a guy who didn't know wrestling at the start of his career but was compelled to learn it when he entered MMA. So in the wrestling side of the equation these two might be equal.

But think about this for a second... GSP has been matched up with wrestlers with supposedly better pedigrees than him and have always come out on top. We all know what happened to Matt Hughes (twice), Frank Trigg and NCAA Undefeated Division 1 All American Josh Koschek. Will Fitch be next? That still remains to be seen.

As for the Standup advantage. I give this one to GSP though Fitch has improved tremendously on his feet also (with his boxing in particular). I also think Fitch has the stronger chin among the two, but heck who needs an iron chin when you can stick and move like the athletic GSP. Remember also the "diversity" of strikes GSP is capable of as was shown during his second meeting with Matt Hughes. You can expect everything from the guy, spinning back kicks and superman punches included.

Turning now to grappling/BJJ again I give the advantage to GSP. I mean, Man!, that "submission chain" he did on Matt Hughes during their third and final meeting. Now that was something. Hip Throw into a kimura slash top triangle choke, into an armbar with a wristlock. What else can I say? As for Fitch I haven't seen him use his grappling that often relying on his wrestling brilliance to control and ground and pound.

So I think I'll go with GSP on this one. But heck it's MMA! Anything can happen.

Edited by geneticfreak
not sure what style you're referring to, because implying straight from the name Mixed Martial Arts, there's no longer one specific style, but a hybrid of styles encompassing all ranges of fighting from punching, kicking, clinch (elbows and knees) down to grappling.

but to partly answer your question the guy in the mohawk is Chuck Liddel and his martial arts background came from Kenpo Karate.

And Chuck was a great wrestler back in high school and college too. He's one of those strikers who is so difficult to takedown.

Ortiz couldn't do it. Brazilian Olympic Wrestling Team member Renato "Babalu" Sobral couldn't do it and neither was Randy successful their last couple of meetings.

Hmmm.. Honestly I find this quite hard to call. Fitch in my opinion has a "controlling" style much like a Yushin Okami wherein he uses his base and wrestling to take people down and control them. He's a really good wrestler and he showed it when he defeated Thiago Alves (who Matt Hughes failed to defeat the last time out). But no mistake about it GSP's wrestling has come a long way (even being asked to be part of Canada's Olympic Wrestling Team), this from a guy who didn't know wrestling at the start of his career but was compelled to learn it when he entered MMA. So in the wrestling side of the equation these two might be equal.

But think about this for a second... GSP has been matched up with wrestlers with supposedly better pedigrees than him and have always come out on top. We all know what happened to Matt Hughes (twice), Frank Trigg and NCAA Undefeated Division 1 All American Josh Koschek. Will Fitch be next? That still remains to be seen.

As for the Standup advantage. I give this one to GSP though Fitch has improved tremendously on his feet also (with his boxing in particular). I also think Fitch has the stronger chin among the two, but heck who needs an iron chin when you can stick and move like the athletic GSP. Remember also the "diversity" of strikes GSP is capable of as was shown during his second meeting with Matt Hughes. You can expect everything from the guy, spinning back kicks and superman punches included.

Turning now to grappling/BJJ again I give the advantage to GSP. I mean, Man!, that "submission chain" he did on Matt Hughes during their third and final meeting. Now that was something. Hip Throw into a kimura slash top triangle choke, into an armbar with a wristlock. What else can I say? As for Fitch I haven't seen him use his grappling that often relying on his wrestling brilliance to control and ground and pound.

So I think I'll go with GSP on this one. But heck it's MMA! Anything can happen.

Agree ako 100%.

hawaiian kenpo to be precise since there are other forms of kenpo as well.

and as grfeak said, he was also a good high school and college wrestler.

No wonder Tim and Andre left UFC.. look at how much they earned during Affliction Banned..

UFC better empty their pockets cause the way Donald Trump is paying this fighters, nobody will be surprised if more will follow..

Also don't forget that Mark Cuban is also riding the MMA bandwagon...

Fedor Emelianenko: $300,000 (no win bonus)

def. Tim Sylvia: $800,000

Andrei Arlovski: $750,000 (includes $250,000 win bonus)

def. Ben Rothell: $250,000

Josh Barnett: $300,000 (no win bonus)

def. Pedro Rizzo: $70,000

Renato "Babalu" Sobral: $90,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)

def: Mike Whitehead: $50,000

Matt Lindland: $300,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus)

def. Fabio Nascimento: $20,00O

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: $50,000 (no win bonus)

def. Edwin Dewees: $15,000

Vitor Belfort: $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus)

Terry Martin: $30,000

Paul Buentello: $80,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)

vs. Gary Goodridge: $25,000

Edited by G_sKiLLz

Man! Tim Sylvia got $800k for a 36 sec ass whoopin!? Cant believe Fedor only got $300k?! Although the event was co promoted ofcourse by M1 which is owned by the Russians. I'm sure he gets a cutt of the payperview buys of the event!? How long can they go putting up stacked cards and paying sooo much money to some fighters huh?! Hope they last a for good!? Cause for me MMA>UFC! Cant stand others refers MMA as Ultimate Fighting!? This is what Dana wants, to brand MMA as UFC!? More like as NBA to basketball, NFL to football etc... its a global sport not a global domination of one promotion!!! :thumbsdownsmiley: