Mixed Martial Arts

aidz

hehe... got judo as my PE back in 1998.. 1st year college pa lang ako non...

anyways...liked it a lot.. it's just that other school activities and my studies hindered me from furthering my judo skills....

hope to find time to improve on it soon...

probably by next year may... i don't have anything in my schedule for may 2004 yet.

and about this thread not having any girl posters.... i'm a girl... so that's one girl now...

glad to know may girl na d2 sa thread. welcome :)

MTC Adults' Choice Awards!

x-mas party • awards night • new year's party

December 29, 2003 (Mon. 9pm)

The Basement, Eastwood City, Libis (CityWalk)

3 celebrations, 1 BIG event!

Mark your Calendars! Details to follow!

F R E E - E N T R A N C E

Beers at P65

Guys, see you on Monday!

!! We will have eheads' Raymond Marasigan + andwich !!

!!We will also have 6cyclemind, NU107's Rock Band of the year!!

These Recording Artists will be playing for us!

PULP Magazine will be there! El Gimikero will be there! Teaz will be there!

I hope you guys could come coz its really gonna be fun!

Did i mention that i will be giving away group awards?

--------------------

BizMan

• Information Architect • Creative Director • Digital Artist

• Visionary • Dreamer • Passionate Lover • RESUME • 0922 802

quoted message from Bizman! See you on the 29th!--Hansolo

MTC Adults' Choice Awards!

x-mas party • awards night • new year's party

December 29, 2003 (Mon. 9pm)

The Basement, Eastwood City, Libis (CityWalk)

3 celebrations, 1 BIG event!

Mark your Calendars! Details to follow!

F R E E - E N T R A N C E

Beers at P65

Guys, see you on Monday!

!! We will have eheads' Raymond Marasigan + andwich !!

!!We will also have 6cyclemind, NU107's Rock Band of the year!!

These Recording Artists will be playing for us! :mtc:

PULP Magazine will be there! El Gimikero will be there! Teaz will be there!

I hope you guys could come coz its really gonna be fun!

Did i mention that i will be giving away group awards? ;)

:mtc: :mtc:

Friends from this Group, Please come on Monday, 29th, Its really gonna be fun! Bring your friends! This is my gift to you guys! :) See you all there!

quoted message from Bizman! See you on the 29th!

<poknat>

dude,

you might try the krav maga website, it's got a listing of the countries that have km schools and certified instructors. you can also order the km videos and books from there. i've done a couple of weekend workshops in km with eyal yanilov, head of km intl. and it is nasty, brutal, vicious and highly effective. gotta love it. if there's anyone there who's offering km classes check the certification first. all km instructors should have some paperwork to verify their training. and it should be signed by eyal.

could you also fill me in on the capoeira there: what type do they do, angola, regional or mandinga? is it a true capoeira class with music, singing and a roda at the end of it? i've been doing capoeira for the last seven months and it's great fun and a great workout. i also enjoy learning how to play the berimbau, and learning the songs for the roda.

i've been lucky enough to meet mestre jogo de dentro from capoeira angola and mestre marcelo pereira from capoeira mandinga. for those who got interested in capoeira because of tekken 2 and eddie gordo, mestre marcelo is eddie gordo. check the credits at the end of the game, you'll see his name come up. he was approached by the game makers and brought to japan where they filmed and digitized his movements for the game. of course, some of the moves in the game are not real, thanks to computer animation, but about 80-85 percent of them are capoeira mandinga moves.

could you also fill me in on the capoeira there: what type do they do, angola, regional or mandinga? is it a true capoeira class with music, singing and a roda at the end of it? i've been doing capoeira for the last seven months and it's great fun and a great workout. i also enjoy learning how to play the berimbau, and learning the songs for the roda.

i tried the website a couple of months back but didnt see any listing for the philippines.

sorry but i just attended two sessions and its more like an introductory thing to capoeria. visit them na lang every monday 7-8 pm at body worx gym on west avenue. look for mylen (pronounced mee-len) imao. she's the manager there.

hindi ko masyadong alam kung anong klaseng capoeira sya.

<poknat>

thanks dude. if i ever go back to the islands i'll check it out. if you've got time drop by the capoeira mandinga website: www.mandinga.org

and there's a lot of capoeira music available on kazaa, both angola and regional.

there's a brazilian guy who drops in to our capoeira group a couple of times a month. he's a gracie and he was telling me how he started on bjj at 5 years old, but all of his friends were into capoeira. now his friends in brazil are starting to study bjj and he's trying to catch up on capoeira.

Sup everybody?!

Nice to know that there's a thread like this here :D

I'm into mixed martial arts, muay thai, wrestling (freestyle and BED wrestling), boxing and submission grappling... fought my first MMA match last year, will definitely fight again as I'm f*ckin hooked, yea what a rush!

For me, it's not the art, it's the practitioner :)

hey did you guys get to see that atenista teenager who fought and won in urcc? grappler sya and he beat this boxer. astig no?

hmmnn not really. that guy fought a washed up boxer. i noticed that some of the fights are somewhat rigged: washed up boxer vs well trained atenista or lasallista grappler. well, cguro they want to have a nice MMA win-loss record first before taking on legit fighters. still, the kid's strong for his age. i'm sure he'll do well vs a legit grappler.

hmmnn not really. that guy fought a washed up boxer. i noticed that some of the fights are somewhat rigged: washed up boxer vs well trained atenista or lasallista grappler. well, cguro they want to have a nice MMA win-loss record first before taking on legit fighters. still, the kid's strong for his age. i'm sure he'll do well vs a legit grappler.

yeah i agree na laos na yung boxer but still this kid is a teenager! diba? the kids got potential. its always good to start them young. chinese kids start learning wushu at age 5-6. :)

<poknat>

dude,

you might try the krav maga website, it's got a listing of the countries that have km schools and certified instructors. you can also order the km videos and books from there. i've done a couple of weekend workshops in km with eyal yanilov, head of km intl. and it is nasty, brutal, vicious and highly effective. gotta love it. if there's anyone there who's offering km classes check the certification first. all km instructors should have some paperwork to verify their training. and it should be signed by eyal.

i've been lucky enough to meet mestre jogo de dentro from capoeira angola and mestre marcelo pereira from capoeira mandinga. for those who got interested in capoeira because of tekken 2 and eddie gordo, mestre marcelo is eddie gordo. check the credits at the end of the game, you'll see his name come up. he was approached by the game makers and brought to japan where they filmed and digitized his movements for the game. of course, some of the moves in the game are not real, thanks to computer animation, but about 80-85 percent of them are capoeira mandinga moves.

But did you know that Krav Maga was patterned and created using the Jeet Kune Do concepts? No offense to Krav Maga practitioners, but for me its just the same

thing only with a different name. For me the Filipino Martial Arts is still the best

when it comes to Ass whoopin and self defense. :ninja:

The ironic thing is that while other foreign arts are making big bucks, FMA is being

neglected and taken for granted. The common misconception about the FMA is that

it is a weapon based art and that its practioner/s are helpless when they are empty handed. Wrong again! FMA is one or if I'm not mistaken the only one "COMPLETE" art that uses both weapon and empty hand techniques, kicks,locks, grappling techniques , edged , blunt, and flexible weapons.

Any other arts that gives you all this in one package? :ninja:

hi hvl,

here's a brief history of krav maga:

Imrich ("Imi") Lichtenfield, founder of Krav Maga, was born in 1910 in Budapest, which at the time was one of the centers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. He grew up in Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, in a home where sports, law, and Central European education were equally respected. Samuel Lichtenfeld, Imi's father, was undoubtedly quite a unique figure. At age 13 he joined a traveling circus, and for the next 20 years engaged in wrestling, weightlifting, and various demonstrations of strength. For him the circus was also a school, where he met people involved in a wide variety of sports, including some quite unusual ones. These people taught Samuel what they knew - including various martial arts.

With his father's encouragement, Imi became active in a wide range of sports. He first excelled in swimming, and subsequently in gymnastics, wrestling, and boxing. In 1928 Imi won the Slovakian Youth Wrestling Championship, and in 1929 the adult championship (in the light and middle weight division). That year he also won the national boxing championship and an international gymnastics championship. During the ensuing decade, Imi's athletic activities focused mainly on wrestling, both as a contestant and a trainer.

In the mid thirties, conditions began to change in Bratislava. Fascist and anti-Semitic groups appeared, determined to upset the public order and harm the city's Jewish community. Imi became the un-crowned leader of a group of young Jews, most of them with a background in boxing, wrestling, and weightlifting. This group attempted to block the anti-Semitic bands from entering the Jewish quarter and wreaking havoc there. Thus, between 1936 and 1940 Imi took part in countless violent street encounters.

In 1940, having become a thorn in the side of the anti-Semitic inclined local authorities as a result of his activities, Imi left his home, family, and friends and boarded the last immigrant ship that succeeded in escaping the Nazis' clutches. The vessel was an old riverboat named Pentcho, that had been converted to carry hundreds of refugees from Central Europe to the land of Israel (then called Palestine). The gripping story of the Pentcho and its passengers is told in detail in the book Odyssey by John Birman (published by Simon & Shuster, New York, 1984). Imi's private odyssey aboard that ship and afterwards, which was filled with thrilling episodes, took about two years..... In 1944 Imi began training fighters in his areas of expertise: physical fitness, swimming, wrestling, use of the knife, and defenses against knife attacks. During this period, Imi trained several elite units of the Hagana and Palmach (striking force of the Hagana and forerunner of the special units of the IDF), including the Pal-Yam, as well as groups of police officers.

In 1948, when the State of Israel was founded and the IDF was formed, Imi became Chief Instructor for Physical Fitness and Krav Maga at the IDF School of Combat Fitness. He served in the IDF for about 20 years, during which time he developed and refined his unique method for self-defense and hand-to-hand combat.

After he finished his active duty, Imi began adapting and modifying Krav Maga to civilian needs. The method was formulated to suit everyone - man and woman, boy or girl, who might need it to save his or her life or survive an attack while sustaining minimal harm, whatever the background of the attack - criminal, nationalistic, or other. To disseminate his method, Imi established two training centers, one in Tel Aviv and the other in Natanya.

Even during his last years, Imi continues to personally supervise the training of those who have attained high ranks in Krav Maga, and to spend time with the instructors in Israel and abroad. Imi monitored the trainees' progress and achievements, captivating them with his personality and imparting them with his knowledge and unique personality.

Imi, a teacher, a fighter and a great human being, passed away on the 9th of January 1998, early in the morning, in the hospital just 5 hours

after he got there, and with Eyal Yanilov at his bed-side.

as you can see krav maga is older than jkd.

in my research and communications with other martial artists, i've come across other systems that are complete in and of themselves: two that immediately come to mind are silat and "the system" (russian martial art used by the spetsnaz, russian special forces). one is asian with many branches and one is european.

another european art that i'm very impressed with is savate. it covers knife, stick, staff, hands, feet, knees, ground work and a whole bunch of other dirty tricks.

i'm not disrespecting fma, i spent over two years studying balintawak arnis and train in amok every chance i get (and hope to one day get back to the philippines to meet and train with grand tuhon leo gaje) but i don't buy into the whole "my art is better than your art" cat fighting that's so common nowadays. it just leads to divisiveness and ill will among martial artists and there's already too many ego inflated morons out there.

hi hvl,

here's a brief history of krav maga:

Imrich ("Imi") Lichtenfield, founder of Krav Maga, was born in 1910 in Budapest, which at the time was one of the centers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. He grew up in Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, in a home where sports, law, and Central European education were equally respected. Samuel Lichtenfeld, Imi's father, was undoubtedly quite a unique figure. At age 13 he joined a traveling circus, and for the next 20 years engaged in wrestling, weightlifting, and various demonstrations of strength. For him the circus was also a school, where he met people involved in a wide variety of sports, including some quite unusual ones. These people taught Samuel what they knew - including various martial arts.

With his father's encouragement, Imi became active in a wide range of sports. He first excelled in swimming, and subsequently in gymnastics, wrestling, and boxing. In 1928 Imi won the Slovakian Youth Wrestling Championship, and in 1929 the adult championship (in the light and middle weight division). That year he also won the national boxing championship and an international gymnastics championship. During the ensuing decade, Imi's athletic activities focused mainly on wrestling, both as a contestant and a trainer.

In the mid thirties, conditions began to change in Bratislava. Fascist and anti-Semitic groups appeared, determined to upset the public order and harm the city's Jewish community. Imi became the un-crowned leader of a group of young Jews, most of them with a background in boxing, wrestling, and weightlifting. This group attempted to block the anti-Semitic bands from entering the Jewish quarter and wreaking havoc there. Thus, between 1936 and 1940 Imi took part in countless violent street encounters.

In 1940, having become a thorn in the side of the anti-Semitic inclined local authorities as a result of his activities, Imi left his home, family, and friends and boarded the last immigrant ship that succeeded in escaping the Nazis' clutches. The vessel was an old riverboat named Pentcho, that had been converted to carry hundreds of refugees from Central Europe to the land of Israel (then called Palestine). The gripping story of the Pentcho and its passengers is told in detail in the book Odyssey by John Birman (published by Simon & Shuster, New York, 1984). Imi's private odyssey aboard that ship and afterwards, which was filled with thrilling episodes, took about two years..... In 1944 Imi began training fighters in his areas of expertise: physical fitness, swimming, wrestling, use of the knife, and defenses against knife attacks. During this period, Imi trained several elite units of the Hagana and Palmach (striking force of the Hagana and forerunner of the special units of the IDF), including the Pal-Yam, as well as groups of police officers.

In 1948, when the State of Israel was founded and the IDF was formed, Imi became Chief Instructor for Physical Fitness and Krav Maga at the IDF School of Combat Fitness. He served in the IDF for about 20 years, during which time he developed and refined his unique method for self-defense and hand-to-hand combat.

After he finished his active duty, Imi began adapting and modifying Krav Maga to civilian needs. The method was formulated to suit everyone - man and woman, boy or girl, who might need it to save his or her life or survive an attack while sustaining minimal harm, whatever the background of the attack - criminal, nationalistic, or other. To disseminate his method, Imi established two training centers, one in Tel Aviv and the other in Natanya.

Even during his last years, Imi continues to personally supervise the training of those who have attained high ranks in Krav Maga, and to spend time with the instructors in Israel and abroad. Imi monitored the trainees' progress and achievements, captivating them with his personality and imparting them with his knowledge and unique personality.

Imi, a teacher, a fighter and a great human being, passed away on the 9th of January 1998, early in the morning, in the hospital just 5 hours

after he got there, and with Eyal Yanilov at his bed-side.

as you can see krav maga is older than jkd.

in my research and communications with other martial artists, i've come across other systems that are complete in and of themselves: two that immediately come to mind are silat and "the system" (russian martial art used by the spetsnaz, russian special forces). one is asian with many branches and one is european.

another european art that i'm very impressed with is savate. it covers knife, stick, staff, hands, feet, knees, ground work and a whole bunch of other dirty tricks.

i'm not disrespecting fma, i spent over two years studying balintawak arnis and train in amok every chance i get (and hope to one day get back to the philippines to meet and train with grand tuhon leo gaje) but i don't buy into the whole "my art is better than your art" cat fighting that's so common nowadays. it just leads to divisiveness and ill will among martial artists and there's already too many ego inflated morons out there.

hellspawn, how long have you been in the martial arts? where are you based right now? :ninja: