Spooky Nights!

heres one.. it aint that scary coz we laughed and joked about it.

a month ago while on my regular wall climbing practice at around 10 pm, me and two of my friends decided to take a break... nanakit na kasi ang kamay namin by then. so we got some juice sa tindahan and started being stupid talking nonsense and laughing at the corniest joke as what we usualy do when together. ito naman si john, he placed his cell phone sa table after making a call. minutes after while we were laughing our brains out, tumunog ang phone ni john. sabi pa ni lil "oist sagutin mo.. syota mo ata yan." john did not dare to touch the phone till the ringing was over. lil ask him kung ano ba ang problema niya and why he didnt answer the phone. we were 100% sure it was his phone coz it was in front of us and the sound came from it. sabi ni john, nak silent mode ang phone niya and when the phone rang, di man lang nagvibrate nor umilaw ang screen. diba ganun yon pag nokia? and we saw it too.. no vibration.. no lights.. thats why daw he didnt answer it. lil took the phone and check kung naka silent nga ba talaga.. pinasa niya agad sa akin and when i look at it, silent mode nga.. lil then said "may multo atang nagkagusto sayo eh, pano yan di mo sinagot ang phone.. she might be thinkin na ayaw mo sa kanya" after he said that, we started laughing again. we laughed on a couple of jokes about it and decided to go home. kahit ngayon kapag nakikita namin si john, we tease him.. his not bothered bout the incident bcoz he still uses the same second hand phone he bought. <_<

This is my first post to MTC. Anyway my wife experienced this before we got married.

We went to Baguio on the first week of January 2001 right after New Years Day to celebrate my birthday. We stay at this very cozy hotel in Kisad Rd, *** *****, which is I believe still owned by a very prominent family. On our first night my then girlfriend was drying her hair in front of the electric fan while I was lying on the bed watching TV. She always dries her hair this way with her eyes closed. She related to me later that while she was drying her hair she saw in her mind's eye an old woman sitting behind her staring at her. She described her as mestizahin, with her white hair tied up in a bun. I did not see her BTW, and the chair she claimed the old lady was sitting on was directly in front of me!

We later went to dinner at the hotel restaurant and she asked one of the waiters if the hotel is haunted. The waiter was at first hesitant to answer, but later admitted that the room where we stayed in was the favorite room of the family matriarch whenever they would stay there. I guess she was very much attached to the room. I later learned that that hotel is really haunted to the rafters. Stories abound that the hotel lobby is haunted in the middle of the night, though I never experienced anything, I do go out sometimes to feel the atmosphere. Attribute it to insensitivity I guess.

Still if there is another opportunity for me to go back to Baguio, I will definitely stay there again because it is so nice and cozy.

dito sa opis meron din. pag maaga akong dumadating, natutulog muna ako sa lamesa ng conference room. tapos magigising na lang ako dahil may tumutulak sa akin. para bang pinaaalis ako sa lamesa eh ako lang ang narito sa conference room. Dati lumilipat ako ng matutulugan kapag nararamdaman ko yun pero ngayon hindi na. Nakasanayan ko na kasi.

im back! our house in antipolo is kinda haunted, not by ghost but by earthly spirits. this happened to my ate. during an afternoon nap, naalimpungatan siya, parang meron daw siyang katabi. she was lying on her side, facing the left. pag higa daw niya ng flat, tumingin siya sa right niya. meron daw matandang lalaki na nakahiga. hindi naman siya nataranta, bigla na lang daw tumayo yung lolo tapos umalis.

second story. i was talking to my gf siguro at 2:30 in the morning nang may biglang sumitsit sa akin dun sa labas ng bintana ko. immediately, alam ko na sila yun. i went out of the house, galit, sabi ko wala naman akong ginagawang masama kaya wag silang magtitrip diyan. hindi ako natakot. siguro kasi alam kong peaceful naman yung mga nasa amin.

dun sa kwarto ng mama ko, hindi ka makakatulog with you not facing the door. kasi pagtatalikod ka, mararamdaman mo talagang may nakasilip sayo.

another story, dun sa dating bahay ng lola ko dona juana subv sa pasig. every weekends, dun ako sa kanila umuuwi. one time, dumating ako 430 ng hapon and was exhausted. i immediately went up our room. malaki yung kwarto. apat na kama na pinagtabitabi yun, para sa aming magpipinsan. dun sa corner ng room, meron make up table of sorts tapos may salamin.

at around 6 pm siguro, nagising ako kasi biglang may pumasok dun sa kwarto. nakaputi with long hair. hindi ko naman masyadong pinansin, akala ko pinsan ko. umupo siya dun sa may harap ng table, parang nag- aayos. i remember telling her, thinking that she was may cousin, "buksan mo kaya ang ilaw para maayos yang pagpapaganda mo..." then i dosed off again. i forgot about that. naalala ko lang later that night nung dumating yung pinsan ko galing school. sabi ko diba umuwi ka na kanina? sabi niya hindi daw. eh yung ibang pinsan ko naman babae, hindi ganung kahaba buhok. grabe takutan talaga that night...

Thanks Bro. Mike for the vote of confidence.

Eto pa isang kuwento. Judge for yourself.

My then GF (now my wife) and me went back to Baguio after Holy Week 2001 and stayed at the same hotel which I previously mentioned B4. Although this experience did not involve the hotel, this story is a bit eerie.

My GF had a brief quarrel and she decided to go back to the hotel in an FX taxi. As she related to me later, she got on and while on her way back she spotted a little boy staring at her at the back. At first she did not mind because she thought it was the taxi driver's kid and went along for the ride. But when she got off the taxi the kid was staring back at her in a very strange way and got her into thinking: if the boy was a tag-along, why did not the taxi driver called her attention to that fact? It was as though the kid was not even there!

If you have a similar experience like this I would very much appreciate it. :)

Eto pa isang kuwento. This time it is a personal experience.

I have this friend who lives in Sta. Cruz who has a fine family as a next-door neighbor. Di ko alam na may instability yung wife; as a matter of fact there were several suicide attempts. Now on one particular day I was with my friend when we heard that she (a teacher of a good Catholic school) committed suicide by jumping off the school roof. We were discussing her death in their dining room when suddenly we felt a chilly wind coming our way with the scent of flowers usually associated with funeral wreaths. Now his place is near a funeral parlor but as far as experience went we never experienced any odors from that establishment. Anyway I was not all imagining it; everyone there smelt the same thing, and furthermore the wind went towards the direction of the house next door, which is only separated by a wall.

We did not feel scared at all although it made for a good story afterwards.

Three years back at 2 pm, my 9-year old daughter who was playing at the living room stood up, slowly inched her way to the adjacent dining room, and with a weary eyes peeped through the door of the kitchen. In a split second, she recoiled one step!

I sensed what was happening!

When we asked her why she acted the way she did, she told us this story.

While playing in the living room, she saw in her periphery, a boy (around 10-years old) wearing white polo shirt and black pants playing around the kitchen. From the living room, she could only see the sink-side portion of the kitchen through the open door, so the boy would be partly hidden in some moments when he's on the refrigerator-side. She's not familiar with the boy. She tried to identify the boy but when she looked straight to the kitchen, the vision of the boy was seemingly blurred. She rubbed her eyes but the vision remained hazy though she could see her sibling in the dining room well enough.

She moved slowly in tiptoe fashion, as if catching a mouse off guard, nearer to the dining room. At the time she reached the open kitchen door the boy has moved to the hidden refrigerator-side of the kitchen. As my daughter peeped through the open door, the boy mysteriously appeared near the door while moving to the sink-side!!! Scared, my daughter recoiled but she still saw the boy streaming through the kitchen sink and through the wall separating the kitchen and the garage!!! The face of the boy was no longer in the playful mood.

The boy never came back. She kept quiet until we asked her if she saw something strange.

I too have seen ghosts in the past. Every now and then, I would stay alone in the area and try to catch anything in the kitchen. It’s been three years but nothing strange has showed up again. My daughter, likewise, never got to experience the same things again.

Our subdivision sits atop a mountain and no residential community thrived in the same area before. We don't suspect the ghost as a former resident years ahead of us.

Three years back at 2 pm, my 9-year old daughter who was playing at the living room stood up, slowly inched her way to the adjacent dining room, and with a weary eyes peeped through the door of the kitchen. In a split second, she recoiled one step!

I sensed what was happening!

When we asked her why she acted the way she did, she told us this story.

While playing in the living room, she saw in her periphery, a boy (around 10-years old) wearing white polo shirt and black pants playing around the kitchen. From the living room, she could only see the sink-side portion of the kitchen through the open door, so the boy would be partly hidden in some moments when he's on the refrigerator-side. She's not familiar with the boy. She tried to identify the boy but when she looked straight to the kitchen, the vision of the boy was seemingly blurred. She rubbed her eyes but the vision remained hazy though she could see her sibling in the dining room well enough.

She moved slowly in tiptoe fashion, as if catching a mouse off guard, nearer to the dining room. At the time she reached the open kitchen door the boy has moved to the hidden refrigerator-side of the kitchen. As my daughter peeped through the open door, the boy mysteriously appeared near the door while moving to the sink-side!!! Scared, my daughter recoiled but she still saw the boy streaming through the kitchen sink and through the wall separating the kitchen and the garage!!! The face of the boy was no longer in the playful mood.

The boy never came back. She kept quiet until we asked her if she saw something strange.

I too have seen ghosts in the past. Every now and then, I would stay alone in the area and try to catch anything in the kitchen. It’s been three years but nothing strange has showed up again. My daughter, likewise, never got to experience the same things again.

Our subdivision sits atop a mountain and no residential community thrived in the same area before. We don't suspect the ghost as a former resident years ahead of us.

It may not have been a former resident. Most of them are the ligaw type

• 2 weeks later...

mga 9 years old pa lang me. kalilipat lang namin sa lugar ng lola. ginawan muna kami ng lolo ko ng bahay na made sa nipa hut kasi kagagaling namin sa mindanao.

malapit kami sa bakery ang distancia ng bahy namin is 2 meters. Di pa tapos yong bintana sa itaas baga open yon.ang distansya sa ground is 3.5 meters.

Isang gabi.....nakagising me. Pagkagiding me nakakita me babae sa bintana yong buhok eh ang haba di ko maaninag ang mukha. Siguro kung may dumaan na ibon makita ko dahil nga full moon yong time na yon. How much yong tao nakasteasy doon. i was just thinking lola ko...sabi ko pa nga eh ANO BA ITO SI LOLA AYAW PA JAN UMALISNAKAHARAP KASI SA KAMA KO. tAGAL KO TINITIGAN YONG ALI NA YON. naalala ko ang buhok pala ng lola ko is maigsi. nag puzzle me sino kaya ito..Gust o gumalaw kasi igisingin ko yong katulong namin noon kaso di me maka galaw. tapos yong ali paran initingnan nay lola ko sa kabilagn kama......natakot me...di me nag isip ng aswang...kaso sino yon....parang papunta na sa higaan namin..gusto ko sumigaw di ko magawa.....d pa me marunong magpray that time...wala pa sa isip ko yong aswang. Ang ginawa ko pinikit ko na lang ang mata ko tapos sumigaw me ng napalakas...mayamaya nanay at tatay ko pinuntahan ako galing kabilang kwarto.....sabi ko sa kanola may nakita me di me makagalaw....two consecutive nights nangyari yon sa akin...tapos ang lola ko lately nagkwento na yong bakery pala yon may aswang nanakatira.

sa bahay din iyon......nag play cards me sa harapan ng tv. that was dec...mag isa me sa loob ng bahay. nanay ko nagsimbang gabi.sa bakuran ang bro ko. parang di me mapakali habang nagplay me cards...parang i feel strange......ang ginawa ko sinilip ko yong sahig...alm nyo kung ano ang nakita ko split ng bamboo yong sahig kasi eh....nakaita me tao walang mukha nakatingala nagkasalubungan ang tingin namin ang distansya nya sa akin is 1 foot...ANG ITSURA NYA MAY BUHOK SYA KULOT...MAPUTI MASYADO ANG MUKHA PERO ANG GILID NG MATA IS MAITIM PARANG KATULANG SA NAPANOOD NATIN...NAKATINGILA... ang ginawa ko bigla me tayo tapos sumigaw ng napakalaks bigla tumakbo ang kapatid ko. tinanong nya kung ano ang nangyari may tao sa baba nakakit ame ulo walang katawan..bigla takbo kapatid ko sa silong...sabi ng kapatid ko may nararamdan daw sya paparoon palang...tapos tiningnan ko yong sahig wala na ang ulo. nakarinig ang kapatid ko ng tiktik sa baba...nagmura me..sabi kilala kita kung sino..di me natatakot sa u lapit ka rito...tatagainkita ng tanso....

sa bagong bahay namin ngayon...nakita nyo ang pic ko sa yahoo id...yong profilr na yon...noong ginawa yon wal me doon.

kararating ko lang isang gabi...galing me dito ng manila mga several years ago.

mga 9 pm ng gabi yon...

kasama ko sa bahay nanay ko, cousin ko, sis in law, 4 na lkapatid....lahat sila sa room na...iisa na lang me sa labas

nag take shower me. lumabas me ng cr . nag tooth brush.malapit lang yong pinagtooth brushan ko sa pintuan ng Cr....habang nag totooth me...sumigaw me napa ka laks kasi may nakita me na tao na nasa gilid me galing sa loob ng banyo tapos parang tiningnan ang mukha ko parang lalake kulot ang buhok...tapos bigla uli pasok sa cr...biglahat nagsilabasan sa room...tinanatanong me...sabi ko sa kanila...may nakita me tao....galing CR...eh sabi ko sa kanila wala naman tao dyan eh kasi kagagaking ko....pero tiningnan ko ang cr walang tao...sabi ng nanay ko may nakita rin daw sya mag asawa may nakatira raw sa bahay naminna mga 3rd dimendion na tao...sabi ng nanay ko mabait daw sila sila kasi mga puti...kung maitim mga pangit daw...baga sila ang nagbabantay ng bahay namin....grabe ang kaba ko noon.

marami nagsabi sa akin...may3rd eye daw ako kaso di ko raw ginagamit...kaya pangtinitigan nyo ang mata ko parang inaantok yan daw talaga mostly ang makakita.....palagi mabati

nakapag board me dati sa manila times sa likod ng phcr sa las pinas.

marami me naencounter sa boarding house na ito.

mga friday yon...bed spacer me rito sa boarding house

araw.

naglinis me ng room hanggang 11:oo am that day...sa sobrang pagod nhiga me natulog......nakagising me. nasa ibabaw ng deck ako...wala me kasama that time sa kwarto .....pagkamulat ng mata ko nakita ko board mate ko nakatayo sa pintuan naka white sya yong pang nurse...nag take kasi sya ng nursing that time....gusto ko bumangon. di me makagalaw. I really tried myself...nagagalaw..di ko magawa...sabi konga sana lalapit si Marlyn yong boatdmate ko para galawin kahit paa lang ...kaso di ginawa nya...tinititigan lang nya ko...tagal ko pinilit ang sarili ko para makabangon kaso di ko kaya......ang tagal...ang gianawa ko pinikit ko na lang ang mata tapos magdasal ng i believe...nakakwentas din me ng rasary that time. nagdasal me ng dasal tapos sabi ko sa sarili ko bahana...tapos nakagising me mga 3 pm. pagkagising ko sakit ng ulo ko. bumagon me agad hinanap ko boardmate ko tapos nasalubong ko anak ng land lady ko... tapos tinanong ko sya kung asan s i marlyn tapos sabi andoon sa likod..tinanong ko kung kakarating pa lang ...sabi niya ..oo. ngeh...totoo daw.....kinan firm ko kay marlyn kung kararating lang nya.sabi ni marlyn mag mula mga 6 wm pag ali. pero pag kakita ko sa kanya naka civilian sya. sabi ko nga sa kanya wag sya mag biro..sabi naman nya...totoo daw kararating lang nya...tapos tinanong nya me...bakit bel...nirelay ko sa kanya ang lahat. sabi nya sa akin baka nanaginip daw ako...pero hindi...nangilabutan me.sabi ko sa sarili ko may nakatira sa bahay na yon. Mga 4 experience ko sa baday na yon na kababalaghan.

nakapag board me dati sa manila times sa likod ng phcr sa las pinas.

marami me naencounter sa boarding house na ito.

mga friday yon...bed spacer me rito sa boarding house

araw.

naglinis me ng room hanggang 11:oo am that day...sa sobrang pagod nhiga me natulog......nakagising me. nasa ibabaw ng deck ako...wala me kasama that time sa kwarto .....pagkamulat ng mata ko nakita ko board mate ko nakatayo sa pintuan naka white sya yong pang nurse...nag take kasi sya ng nursing that time....gusto ko bumangon. di me makagalaw. I really tried myself...nagagalaw..di ko magawa...sabi konga sana lalapit si Marlyn yong boatdmate ko para galawin kahit paa lang ...kaso di ginawa nya...tinititigan lang nya ko...tagal ko pinilit ang sarili ko para makabangon kaso di ko kaya......ang tagal...ang gianawa ko pinikit ko na lang ang mata tapos magdasal ng i believe...nakakwentas din me ng rasary that time. nagdasal me ng dasal tapos sabi ko sa sarili ko bahana...tapos nakagising me mga 3 pm. pagkagising ko sakit ng ulo ko. bumagon me agad hinanap ko boardmate ko tapos nasalubong ko anak ng land lady ko... tapos tinanong ko sya kung asan s i marlyn tapos sabi andoon sa likod..tinanong ko kung kakarating pa lang ...sabi niya ..oo. ngeh...totoo daw.....kinan firm ko kay marlyn kung kararating lang nya.sabi ni marlyn mag mula mga 6 wm pag ali. pero pag kakita ko sa kanya naka civilian sya. sabi ko nga sa kanya wag sya mag biro..sabi naman nya...totoo daw kararating lang nya...tapos tinanong nya me...bakit bel...nirelay ko sa kanya ang lahat. sabi nya sa akin baka nanaginip daw ako...pero hindi...nangilabutan me.sabi ko sa sarili ko may nakatira sa bahay na yon. Mga 4 experience ko sa baday na yon na kababalaghan.

marami na faith healer nagsabi sa akin na may 3rd eye daw ako, may gagampanin daw ako rito sa mundo, may kakayahan sa paggamot, at na reincarnate na raw mw.....may isang alaala na nag puzzle sa mind ko kasi na tinatanong ko sa nanay magmula ng high school me tinatanong.

sabi ko sa nanay ko alam mo nanay..parang nakita ko katawan ko kalong me ng tatay nasa maliit na bangka....parang nakahimlay me sa lap ng father ko tapos parang anjan me sa ibabaw din ng katawan ko nakalutang.

tapos nagkwento ang nanay ko....4 years old me noon...naggrabe m sa barko...malapit sa Gensan....papalaaot na ang barko ng magka 50 50 raw ako....sinabi ng tatay ko sa kapitan ng barko pag may nangyari sa akin lagot daw sila...sakitin me noong maliit pa ako. ang ginawa ng kapitan sa barko pinahinto ang barko at pinasakay kami ng tatay padaungan...kasi sasalhin me sa GenSan Hospital......Yong andoon din me.may nakita mother ko na estatwa ng mother of perpetual help malaki sa basurahan...sa ngayon andoon daw yon sa kapilya sa gensan...pinapakuha nga sa amin eh....Nakasurvive me sa pagiging 50 50 ko..

this one happened on a spooky day. i went to the faculty center in UP Diliman on a Sunday morning (around 8am) to submit an outline of the final speech for my Comm III class. the deadline was on the following day but i have to go to Bicol for the wake of my grandma that day and my return to manila was on tuesday. my prof's room is located on the third floor in the end of the west wing. no one was around except for the guards in the lobby. the whole hallway of the 2nd floor was dark and no lights was on. the only illumnation were lights coming from the slits of beneath the doors. i've heard small but creepy voices the moment i stepped on the hall (just like the line of the song Hotel California, "there were voices down the corridor...")and felt a sudden chill in the air. even with goosebumps on my skin, my desire to pass overcame my fear. with that thought, i have mustered the courage (i really need to pass the course since i'm graduating that sem) to climb up the similarly unlit third floor. i still heard the same sounds on the third level. because of the poor illumination, i felt my way by counting the doors towards my prof's room. after slipping the outline beneath the door, i ran back as fast as i can. i still heard the same creepy sounds as went down. i didn't saw anything that would correspond to those creatures(?) that made the sounds and i was more preoccupied in running away from that place. i can never forget that experience.

i'm more fearful of my terror professor than those voices in the corridor. :boo:

i was really scared one night... i was asleep and suddenly the room was filled with smoke... it was eerie, dark, and chilly... i noticed a dim light outside my bedroom window... i hesitated to peek out of it, but i gathered up all my courage and slowly took steps towards the window.. i parted the binding curtains, the dim light was getting clearer and clearer... i heard a hissing sound... as i was moving closer to the window when the sounds began becoming extremely loudy and repetitive. i swallowed a gulp of spit and decided to look out the window.... and to my surprise...

my neighbor was cleaning the street in the middle of the night... at ang putang un, nagsisiga pa!

haha love this thread. ive always been a sucker for ghost stories. MORE! MORE!

mas masarap mag basa nito pag midnight tapos tapat aircon sa paa mo, then turn off all the lights tapos sindi ka ng candle sa tabi ng pc mo. :evil:

hahaha... ang lufet mo pre! ako nga nagbabasa lang nito pag may araw na eh. :lol:

Guest kittychan8

these I saw in the net share ko lang konti ha?

H. R. Wakefield's "The Triumph of Death"

One must strive to be at the mercy of as few circumstances as possible. Vulnerability has a scent which attracts predators of all types. Should they ever join forces & work in collaboration, one may find oneself hopelessly outflanked, & miss the entertaining struggle over one's shredded remains.

Mrs Redvale, the Rector's wife, knows something is wrong at Carthwaite Place, where Amelia Lornon is paid companion to terrible Miss Prunella Pendleham. Amelia is wasting away, & something must be done before she ends up dead like three of the last five companions who preceded her, as she hasn't the fibre to flee like the other two.

The Pendleham family history is a long scroll of black stains, & the house is savagely haunted, a fact of which the agnostic Mrs Redvale is well aware. Now all she has to do is prop her husband up to the task of helping Amelia, & going to see Miss Pendleham.

Amelia is indeed in a bad way, for she also perceives the malignant ghosts at Carthwaite Place. Yet she keeps silent about them, thinking she must be going mad. Miss Pendleham doesn't seem to notice anything when Amelia sees murderous shadows or hears fearful shrieks, & she badgers Amelia constantly not to succumb to superstitious fancies like her predecessors did.

Miss Pendleham likes to be read to ("... get those stories by James..."), & selects unnerving reading matter: a biography of Gilles de Rais prompts her to remind Amelia that something of that sort was supposed to have happened at Carthwaite Place. She also likes to send Amelia up the dark stairs at night to fetch her wrap, because she knows Amelia had a fright up there once. For Miss Pendleham is as cruel & evil as her ancestors, & delights in the mental torture of Amelia. Meals in the dining room are presided over by "The Triumph Of Death":

"... on the wall facing Amelia was a tattered seventeenth century tapestry. It depicted a company of knights & ladies riding in pairs along a sinister serpentine path. On the left of the path were three rotting corpses in open coffins. The air above them was thronged with vile flying things. Amelia's eyes flickered around the room trying not to see it. Miss Pendleham watched her covertly..."

Before the Rector can arrive, it will be seen that Miss Pendleham is all too successful in her wickedness, Amelia too complacent in her worst apprehensions, & the evil of the house more than a match for either.

Guest kittychan8

Looking up its somber & lifeless avenue from the top of the London coach, as I have often done, you are struck with so many signs of desertion & decay — the tufted grass sprouting in the chinks of the steps & window-stones, the smokeless chimneys over which the jackdaws are wheeling, the absence of human life & all its evidence, that you conclude at once that the place is uninhabited & abandoned to decay. The name of this ancient house is Gylingden Hall. Tall hedges & old timber quickly shroud the old place from view, & about a quarter of a mile further on you pass, embowered in melancholy trees, a small & ruinous Saxon chapel, which, time out of mind, has been the burying-place of the family of Marston, & partakes of the neglect & desolation which brood over their ancient dwelling-place.

In the night the butler investigates a receeding shadow that appears to have disappeared into an old carved cabinet:

In the center panel of this is a sort of boss carved into a wolf's head. The light fell oddly upon this, & the fugitive shadow seemed to be breaking up, & rearranging itself oddly. The eyeball gleamed with a point of reflected light, which glittered also upon the grinning mouth, & he saw the long, sharp nose of Scroope Marston, & his fierce eve looking at him, he thought, with a steadfast meaning.

Old Cooper stood gazing upon this sight, unable to move, till he saw the face, & the figure that belonged to it, begin gradually to emerge from the wood. At the same time he heard voices approaching rapidly up a side gallery, & Cooper, with a loud "Lord a mercy on us!" turned & ran back again, pursued by a sound that seemed to shake the old house like a mighty gust of wind.