Boston Celtics

Not Melo... The roster is a lot better without Melo...

The Cs don't need Melo. The guy is a ball-hogging player who likes the ball in his hands and stagnates the offense. The Cs' offense is predicated on movement in order to get players in the best possible positions to score.

Edited by will robie
  • Like (+1) 1

This "death" line-up is better than the Ws:

PG-Kyrie Irving-the best shotmaker in the NBA barnone

SG-Jaylen Brown-Boston's Kawhi Leonard; no he's not a poor man's version. He was a better scorer than Kawhi was in both their sophomore seasons.

C-Al Horford- the Cs' swiss knife who can do everything.

SF-Gordon Hayward-he is another shot creator who Boston can lean on at crunch time. He can drive to the basket and shoot 3s. He is also athletic and versatile enough to guard the 1 to 4 positions if there is defensive switching needed. Furthermore, GH is another Swiss-army knife who can do it on both sides of the court.

PF-Jayson Tatum-the Cs version of KD; no he's not a poor man's version of KD. At a young age, this kid has shown proficiency from the three-point region that KD wasn't as adept at when he was Tatum's age. Tatum can also drive hard to the basket and can be another option at crunch time.

All 5 can be options at crunch time and all have proven they can cut the mustard when needed. The Ws can only depend on three players at crunch time as I haven't seen Draymond Green sink a crunch-time shot. DC wasn't the main option in NOLA as AD was the go-to-guy in NOLA. The 5 Celtics I mentioned have proven that they can hit winning shots. Al did that last year against Portland. Jaylen did that last year against Utah. JT went mano-a-mano against Lechoke in Game 7 of last year's ECF. This is my own take based in my years of watching Celtics games at hindi ko ito kinuha sa kung kani-kanino na sports pundit. Just like my analysis of the best coaches in the Gilas thread. I don't need to mention Gordon and Kyrie. I mean Kyrie hit the biggest shot in Cavalier history with that in your face 3-pointer against Curry in Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals.

Edited by will robie
  • Like (+1) 1

how do you know? on paper? they haven't played together a single game

brad stevens is way different than the thunder coach, he will find a way

Also, did everyone noticed that smart signing just happen after that Kawhi news? co-incidence?

Melo's playstyle does not fit the Celtics... The Smart signing is not a coincidence... I view it more on a move after a fallen domino...

Aaide from Baynes, Robert Williams and Ojeleye

exactly chief...bench is solid. Cs don't need melo. that guy is and will forever be a ballhog. besides he doesn't have even a semblance of playing defense. masisiraan lang ng ulo si brad kay melo tsk tsk tsk

• Like (+1) 1

exactly chief...bench is solid. Cs don't need melo. that guy is and will forever be a ballhog. besides he doesn't have even a semblance of playing defense. masisiraan lang ng ulo si brad kay melo tsk tsk tsk

If the Cs wanted him, they would have made a move to get him. He just isn't a player who would fit in Brad Stevens' selfless system.

Tatum's ceiling, in my opinion, is Kevin Durant. It could go higher considering his defensive potential. Durant was not a good defensive player like Tatum was in his freshman year. Tatum blocked shots either frontally or helping out from the weak side. I am not saying Tatum is a defensive ace now but he's getting there.

Edited by will robie

Kyrie Irving

Jaylen Brown

Al Horford

Jayson Tatum

Gordon Hayward

The best starting line-up in the NBA next season. All can create their shots. With the exception of Kyrie, the other four can be lockdown defenders. Tatum, Hayward, Brown and Horford have the length and the athleticism to guard guys one on one. I really hope the ones coming out of the West are the LA Lechokers, este, Lakers pala. :lol:

Edited by will robie

Kyrie Irving

Jaylen Brown

Al Horford

Jayson Tatum

Gordon Hayward

The best starting line-up in the NBA next season. All can create their shots. With the exception of Kyrie, the other four can be lockdown defenders. Tatum, Hayward, Brown and Horford have the length and the athleticism to guard guys one on one. I really hope the ones coming out of the West are the LA Lechokers, este, Lakers pala. :lol:

if only brad had this five in that series against the cavs, tapos na ang boksing.

What might have been. If Len and Reggie lived to play together, I will say this: the Bulls would be lucky to win a three-peat as the Bulls would have a hard time coming out of the East. Len Bias was the Lebron James of that era just as Reggie Lewis was the Kawhi of that era. No one ever blocked Jordan 4 times in one game except Reggie Lewis. If you think having Lechoke and Kawhi on one team is awesome, just think of the dynasty the Cs would have had with that era's version of Lechoke and Kawhi.

In that March 31 game, as Jordan pulled up for his patented fallaway -- one of the most feared weapons in basketball -- Lewis waited patiently for MJ to launch himself, then stretched his arms and timed it so he deflected the ball just as Jordan released.

The block surprised Jordan, whose otherworldly elevation usually negated any chance of a rejected shot.

Most players weren't athletic enough to literally "hang" with Jordan. Lewis was one of the exceptions.

"He was a tough matchup," Jordan said. "He had those long arms that really bothered me.

"I was trying to be aggressive with him. I was trying to take advantage of his passive demeanor, but he didn't back down. He never relinquished his own aggressiveness.

"He shocked me a little bit."

As he so often did with young players, Jordan tried to verbally engage Lewis, yet Reggie wouldn't participate. He merely smiled and made a move to the basket.

"I saw it happen all the time," Shaw said. "Players tried to intimidate him, make it personal. But Reggie never said a word.

"He was a silent assassin."

MJ dismissed Reggie's initial block as an anomaly. When it happened again, this time on a pull-up jumper, Jordan became irked. The next time, he became concerned. And by the fourth time, on a lefty drive to the hoop, Jordan was irritated -- and somewhat spooked.

"His length confused me," Jordan conceded. "Every time I thought I had him beat, he'd recover and get up on me. When you have the skills to break someone down on defense and you can't, it makes you tentative offensively."

Here's where we pause for a moment to understand the magnitude of what Jordan is saying. The most dynamic scorer in NBA history is now admitting two decades later that he was shocked by what Reggie Lewis did to him, confused by his length and made tentative offensively.

How many other NBA players can lay claim to making Michael Jordan feel that way?

Below is the statement of my favorite college coach, Coach K:

“This is my 24th year at Duke,” Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Boston Globe’s Bob Ryan in 2003, “and in that time there have been two opposing players who have really stood out: Michael Jordan and Len Bias. Len was an amazing athlete with great competitiveness. My feeling is that he would have been one of the top players in the NBA. He created things. People associate the term “playmaking” with point guards. But I consider a playmaker as someone who can do things others can’t, the way Jordan did. Bias was like that. He could invent ways to score, and there was nothing you could do about it. No matter how you defended him, he could make a play.”
Edited by will robie

If Kyrie Irving wants to leave for his hometown Knicks after this season which I think is a championship season, then so be it. We still have Rozier. Although Rozier will never be as elite a shot maker as Irving is, he can start for a championship team. Rondo is not in Irving's league in terms of scoring panache but he started for a Celtics team that was a champion in 2008 and a contender for a couple of years. Rozier is definitely a better scorer than Rondo was.

Dagdagan pa natin ang mga what-ifs and coulda beens:

- What if the Celtics were already able to draft Bill Russell after his freshman year and not after after his senior year in '57. That could have another couple championships. Bob Petit would be lucky to win anything if matched up against Big Bill.

- What if Bill Russell didn't sprain his ankle early in the '58 Finals. As mentioned, Bob Petit and his St Louis Hawks would be lucky to win against the full-strength Celtics.

- What if Red Auerbach didn't retire from coaching after the '66 season. I doubt Wilt and the Sixers would have won if Red was still at the helm of the Cs.

- What if John Havlicek didn't injure his shoulder in the '73 ECF. The Celts were the best team in the NBA that year and I doubt the aging Knicks would've beaten them if Hondo were 100%

- What if Kevin McHale didn't play with a broken foot in the '87 Finals. The Celts had basically the same line-up from the previous year, whom many consider among the greatest of all time. It would be safe to say that the Lakers were lucky that McHale wasn't 100% when they won.

- What if Larry Bird didn't injure his hand in the '85 ECF (after punching a bartender). He surely would've shot better than 44% in the Finals, if the hand was okay. The Lakers were, again, lucky.

So, added to the Len Bias/Reggie Lewis, and Kyrie/Hayward coulda beens - that's probably at least 10 more championships for the Celtics. They should have 28-30 'chips instead of a measly 17 ;)

They really are the best in NBA history!

P.S. source for most of the material is Bill Simmons' Book of Basketball

Edited by dencio