South China/West Philippine Sea

I quoted your post regarding the joint exploration then you suddenly shift to China guarding it and not let anyone else near it. Which is which? The joint exploration or China guarding it?

You should really read your previous reply first.

...both parties find something valuable, then both parties should use it for both their citizens. Why will you leave something valuable to be left untouched when it can benefit us?

Yes, leave it better to leave it untouched if we're not gonna benefit from it directly.

If and when we can extract hypothetical resource on our own, then only then should we explore it first.

But as it is right now, better not find out if there are resources hidden as it will just be another powder keg we'd have to deal with.

we don't have the technology, but we can hire the services of investors who have the equipment. the issue here for some is why give china a piece of the pie when in fact we are the rightful owner. they rather choose that both parties get nothing.

now, there are people who think it's better to share than to get nothing at all. perhaps they are banking on china will treat us fairly. the other group doesn't think it'

possible for china to play fair. there's the saying that when you offer your hand the other party will take your whole arm.

both sides of the argument has its own merits. what i am wary of is china's ability to actually be fair and follow through with whatever agreement that will be made. we really have to be careful in dealing with the chinese government.

Heed your own advice. Read your post again and understand it.

If we are gonna have a joint exploration, then we get to benefit from it directly.

Do we have the resources and technology to do this on our own? I bet we have the same answer and the answer is "no".

How is it a powder keg?

We benefit from it, how?

Do we have the technology? No. That's why I'm saying not to do any "joint" exploration if it means we won't get to exploit it. How many times do I have to explain this?

If there are verified resources there, what do you think China will do with it? Allow us to exploit it? Ask for our permission before exploiting it themselves? Honestly?

When we do a joint exploration with China and we both find oil, then I would deduce that there would be a 50-50 sharing. You haven't answered my question. How is it a powder keg?

You would deduce?! And I've already answered it in my last post's last paragraph. Please review it.

That is why it is called a "joint exploration". You seem to be confused.

Is finding something and using something the same thing? Just because it's a joint exploration, doesn't mean they give us access to that resource when the time comes. It's different from joint exploitation.

That is why it is called a "joint exploration". You seem to be confused. Again, it is a joint exploration, hence, when both parties discover valuable natural resources like oil, both get to benefit from it. How sure are you that China will not allow us to exploit it when there is a joint exploration?

How sure are you that they will share it? Who's oil rig will be planted there if they do resources there, do you think?

In China's view: does that area belong to them or to the Philippines or to both? Are you really that naive to think China will just share "their" resources sitting on "their" lands with us?

*I used "their" to convey that China thinks that it rightfully belongs to them (it doesn't).

Really... at this point if you still don't get it, then I really don't know how to explain how the real world works to you.

Because there is a contract and a contract is legally binding.

...and you are implying that China will renege on its deal once they discover oil or something valuable.

Funny you should say that.

China signed a contract years ago.

And do you know what China thinks of that contract now?

Edited by tk421

The question should be: What does the Philippine president think of that contract now?

Youre replying to an answer from straw or from me? Im referring to the UNCLOS. A treaty/contract that they signed that, once decided against them think that the contract is garbage now.

As for contract 57. Why do you think theyve been sitting on it for so long? Is it because they deemed it so advantageous to us that they want to delay it as much as possible?

Edited by tk421

I thought your silence meant an acquiescence to that article. Anyway, China wouldn't budge from its position and the US can't even make them budge. Duterte and Xi have a great diplomatic relationship as evidenced by China's billions of dollars of investments and soft loans that they committed to our government, not to mention guns to fight against terrorism. These are evidence of good will and a possible joint exploration is another sign of good will. China would not agree to a joint exploration if it wanted the Spratlys for its own.

It shows that:

1) China is capable of reneging on a promise.

2) A "legally binding contract" will only be honored if it's enforceable. And that is a sad fact about the real world.

3) Duterte and his policies will not be around forever, but potential losses from this "deal" will affect us for a long time.

^^^ We all know that at present, a military solution against China's encroachment of the WPS is a no-win solution. Because of our preoccupation with the internal security vs. communist rebels and muslim separatists, we have neglected to develop our capability defend our sovereignty against foreign threats.

Abnoy tried saber rattling during his term, and he just gave China the opportunity to rub in on our faces the fact that we can't do anything about it and the US is not prepared to put their own neck on the line to defend us.

At least for now, I can accept our "silence" in order to maintain status quo.

It would be in our best interest to continue what we are doing in building up our defense capability. Once we have built a sufficiently credible defensive capacity, continue growing economically as we are doing now, and build political leadership among the ASEAN, we will soon have enough strength to assert our sovereignty without having to rely on the US to fight our war for us.

Edited by camiar

Exactly what Im saying. Maintain status quo as its going to be harder to assert sovereignty if weve already given China access to the territory with this joint exploration venture.

It will just embolden them even more if they know theres an untapped resource in the area.

And it will also be ecologically devastating as China is well known for destroying the ecosystem in order to exploit resources.

Filing the case at the Arbitral Court in The Hague was a legal and diplomatic move. I praise the government team led by the DFA and Justice Carpio for doing that.

That's not saber rattling.

You figure out what pathetic saber rattling Abnoy did that he was not able to sustain. Vietnam did it better.

• 2 months later...

So eto na naman tayo. Pinana survey natin sa magnanakaw yun ari-arian natin para next time alam na nila kung ano nanakawin nila doon...

“At dito po matatagpuan niyo ang malaking oil reserves sa ilalim ng seabed. Mas malaki po ito kaysa sa West Philippine Sea. Wag niyo pong kukunin, ah. Pinky promise?”

Binebenta na tayo, nagmamangmang mangmangan pa...

Nuclear powers such as US and Russia will ensure that there will be no another bloody world war for the people here in Earth. This kind of balance of power discourages countries with strong armed forces to engage armed confrontation with opponents. Right now, only the North Korea creates imbalance and the real threat to a possible nuclear war.

The present battlefield for conflicting countries is now situated at the economic arena and at the cyber world. These are the areas where China is a dominant player and pose a great threat to the Philippines.