Pacquiao-Mayweather: “It’s going to happen”

grayle

Kudos Edmund!!!!

As I have always said, I understand your points, and still do.

Dapat sasabihin ko "agree to disagree" but I hate that phrase, debate is always healthy, as long as it is civil, and I thank you for putting this topic back to that level again :)

Eto lang, IF Manny wins, I suggest that you try to avoid going into chat rooms so that you won't see all the posts that "Pactards" will post, all you will get is elevated blood pressure, and no use in arguing with them, coz all they have to say is "Who won?"

Heck even if Floyd loses, try to avoid chat rooms as well, for the same reason :)

So going back on topic ulit:

Thanks for posting the Video of the Press Conference.... Let me vent out lang... pucha yan ang future President of the Philippines, incoherent, couldn't really understand what he was trying to say... walang structure. Then again si Floyd medyo hirap din akong intindihin. I even felt that Floyd's voice was a bit shakey, may stage fright ba yan when public speaking?

Loko parin si Floyd, with his subtle remarks that "if you lose it stays with you", saying that siya Wins lang ang iniisip, si Manny nakatikim na nang talo, psych war parin.

Did not see Justin Beiber, siya ba yung guy in Blue during the photo op? Ano papel niya dun?

I'll stop here, will watch the youtube videos posted by other members from ESPN. :)

The training clip that was shown, where he was hitting the bag, shouldn't he be training to hit a bit higher? Floyd is Taller than him diba?

(Hahaha, as soon as I posted this, I saw that Lychee posted a video on how Manny negates taller fighters) watching it now. :)

Also someone should teach Manny to stop saying "My Lord, My God" Share naman niya ang Diyos, hindi akin, hindi sa iyo, hindi sa kanya, pero "Atin" So "Our Lord" dapat.

Edited by shadow555

So going back on topic ulit:

Thanks for posting the Video of the Press Conference.... Let me vent out lang... pucha yan ang future President of the Philippines, incoherent, couldn't really understand what he was trying to say... walang structure. Then again si Floyd medyo hirap din akong intindihin. I even felt that Floyd's voice was a bit shakey, may stage fright ba yan when public speaking?

Nah, Floyd lives for the bright lights, he never gets stage fright, which makes the Pacman X PBF press conference weirder.

Here's two previous press conferences that Floyd had, just to compare how he was.

https://youtu.be/EPvYlwBGs8I?t=1m24s

Mayweather x Maidana 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OjhI3eFd4M

Mayweather x ODLH

Hahaha, Point taken Larry, now that was the Floyd that we know. Labo di nung presscon na yan daming hecklers and stuff, walang proper decorum.

So wonder what happened? They were told to keep it civil? Or no trash talking? Or as others said, maybe it's too hyped no need to hype it up some more. Or maybe what they did is what is happening with us, because of the "Non hype" we are talking more about it :)

So what the heck was Justin Bieber doing in that presscon?

Hahaha, Point taken Larry, now that was the Floyd that we know. Labo di nung presscon na yan daming hecklers and stuff, walang proper decorum.

So wonder what happened? They were told to keep it civil? Or no trash talking? Or as others said, maybe it's too hyped no need to hype it up some more. Or maybe what they did is what is happening with us, because of the "Non hype" we are talking more about it :)

So what the heck was Justin Bieber doing in that presscon?

That could be a reason too, only press were allowed to the pacXmay presscon, no fans, except Justin Beiber.

It could also be part of TMT's mind games though - unveiling serious and civil Floyd to confuse Pac.

Another reason that I'm thinking of is that it's hard to talk trash to Manny, 1) A lot of what Floyd will talk sh1t about, will probably just go over Manny's head, not a dig against Pac but he's just not used to ghetto style trash talking 2) It will make anyone who talks trash to really look bad, given Manny's light and very friendly demeanor, and the fact that he's Asian (it turns it racial the instant you talk trash to him).

That was a really scary Tyson, if he had said those things to me I would have needed a new pair pants.

here's the full uncensored clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx66LWV-CCk

This was the craziest Tyson has ever been.... Ok maybe second to the ear-gnawing incident. After the melee though, he went to his management team and asked something like"so this is gonna make the fight bigger right?" And what do you know? It did generate more interest in they fight and hyped up the drama. They even had to go through separate press conferences and weigh ins. If only 24/7 was conceived in 2002. This was Tyson being the freak, the entertainer, and the broke athlete who wanted to milk this payday as much as he could. He was in need of money at the time. To Tyson's credit, he was gracious in his defeat and he mellowed a lot after the fight.

Speaking of 24/7 and all access, there are some reports that suggest that Mayweather/Pacquiao will have neither. For real? Can anyone confirm this? Is it because this is 2015's most anticipated sports event anyway? Sayang naman kung wala, it would be the best episodes sana for both of the series. Ito yung matagal ng inaantay eh. Sabi naman dun sa isa, may 1 hour special documentary para sa laban na ito. Ang corny naman, parang yung kay Pacquiao/Clottey lang.

This was the craziest Tyson has ever been.... Ok maybe second to the ear-gnawing incident. After the melee though, he went to his management team and asked something like"so this is gonna make the fight bigger right?" And what do you know? It did generate more interest in they fight and hyped up the drama. They even had to go through separate press conferences and weigh ins. If only 24/7 was conceived in 2002. This was Tyson being the freak, the entertainer, and the broke athlete who wanted to milk this payday as much as he could. He was in need of money at the time. To Tyson's credit, he was gracious in his defeat and he mellowed a lot after the fight.

Speaking of 24/7 and all access, there are some reports that suggest that Mayweather/Pacquiao will have neither. For real? Can anyone confirm this? Is it because this is 2015's most anticipated sports event anyway? Sayang naman kung wala, it would be the best episodes sana for both of the series. Ito yung matagal ng inaantay eh. Sabi naman dun sa isa, may 1 hour special documentary para sa laban na ito. Ang corny naman, parang yung kay Pacquiao/Clottey lang.

Word is HBO and Showtime are going to do two separate 1 hour pre-fight documentaries. So HBO gets to do a 1 hour 24/7 on Manny, and Showtime gets its own 60 minute All Access on Mayweather. They're doing the same thing with the ring announcers. Michael Buffer is going to introduce Manny, and Jimmy Lennon Jr. is going to introduce Floyd.

It's also a battle between the networks HBO and Showtime.

-----

The scariest I've ever seen Tyson was this one interview he did with a female reporter he just looked like a stone cold killer, looked the reporter into the eyes and said "I don't talk with women unless I'm fornicating with them, so if we're not, you know, I suggest you stop." To me he had gone full psycho there.

he's still one of my favorite boxers though.

Edited by Larry

Word is HBO and Showtime are going to do two separate 1 hour pre-fight documentaries. So HBO gets to do a 1 hour 24/7 on Manny, and Showtime gets its own 60 minute All Access on Mayweather. They're doing the same thing with the ring announcers. Michael Buffer is going to introduce Manny, and Jimmy Lennon Jr. is going to introduce Floyd.

It's also a battle between the networks HBO and Showtime.

Yeah this is similar to what Michael Koncz said. But is one hour enough to capture all the backstage drama leading to the fight? Sure we are already interested, but there are so many backstories we wanna know about.

1. Is Floyd Sr. still holding a grudge on Freddie? Floyd Sr. was badly humbled when his fighter got KOTFO by Freddie's pupil. Not only did he have to eat his own words, hatton reportedly would later on claim Floyd Sr. was unprofessional.

2. Floyd Sr. is now back in his sons corner as the head trainer, how did this happen? Didn't they use to call each other f@ggots? lol

3. Alex Ariza now in Mayweather's camp, and while Manny gave him a hug after the Rios fight, he seems to still be pretty pissed off with Roach firing him.

4. Super Zab Judah now Floyd's sparring partner, didn't they use to hate each others gutts?

5. What transpired in the Miami meeting? Just what exactly did the two talk about and how exactly did they materialize the fight?

6. Manny fighting (supposedly) for the honor of his country, so much that lawmakers wanna give him a special tax exemption. Opposite him is a guy who well.... fights for money.

7. Manny now the probasketball playing coach, congressman, etc etc.

We can go on and on and on.... Point is, this is like a soap opera where we have the perfect Hero pitted against the perfect villain. I do not know when has it ever been this perfect..... maybe since Lewis Vs Tyson? In that fight the hero won.

My idea is, why don't HBO do a couple of episodes more focused on Manny's perspective, and Showtime more focused on Floyd's. That will be a way for the 2 networks not to compete so much.

----

No doubt that in the 80s, Tyson was one bad motherfukcer. Had he only kept the right people in his corner, he would have had better longevity as an elite champion. King was key to Mikes deterioration, he convinced him that he was better off being with black people in his management and training team. They said king would even pay for guys to be Mike's friend.

Edited by Edmund Dantes

ahahaha, Mike Tyson! That guy who heckled him poked a Tiger outside his cage! He can't even brag anymore that he was the one who heckled Mike, coz people will say... oh so you were the "Fag....t"?. hahaha! I also like the part that Mike was said to go to the fight managers and asked if the fight will become more popular from what happened... so basically same as what Floyd has been doing all the time.

As for back stories, both Manny and Floyd are saying that they are the sole reason why the fight came to be. I mean Floyd says he is the one who wanted this, and Manny said he was the one who wanted it.

Okay maybe debate time, my opinion, Manny really was the one who wanted the fight, since a long time ago, we all know how Floyd asked for this and that before. If Manny's camp were just making it up, Floyd would have pointed it out. As to who was responsible for the fight happening, of course Floyd can say he was... because everyone was really just waiting on him to say yes.

Then again all those is a moot point, the most important point now is who will win the fight? :)

Diba, what the heck will it matter who asked for the fight, etc. after the fight itself, it's who won which matters at the end.

TTFN
Arvin

ahahaha, Mike Tyson! That guy who heckled him poked a Tiger outside his cage! He can't even brag anymore that he was the one who heckled Mike, coz people will say... oh so you were the "Fag....t"?. hahaha! I also like the part that Mike was said to go to the fight managers and asked if the fight will become more popular from what happened... so basically same as what Floyd has been doing all the time.

I rememeber in the prefight interview with Floyd before he beat Diego Corralles, he decided to be the "eminem of boxing". Meaning he will be the sports bad boy. Another opinion is that since his style is not really a "crowd-pleaser" he has to hype up his fight by talking a lot of trash. Paulie Malignaggi is also trying to copy the blueprint because he is no KO artist. Broner too, he considers Floyd as his mentor.

As for back stories, both Manny and Floyd are saying that they are the sole reason why the fight came to be. I mean Floyd says he is the one who wanted this, and Manny said he was the one who wanted it.

In a way Floyd is right that he was the one who came to Manny and talked to him about the fight. Ito yung matagal ko ng sinasabi sa thread na ito. Na silang dalawa dapat mismo magusap para matuloy na dapat ito. Mahirap kasi na may middle-men lagi. One meeting lang with Floyd was all it took and nagkasundo naman sila. I knew this, kasi noon pa sinasabi ni Floyd kay Manny na "Be your own boss" and silang dalawa magusap

Okay maybe debate time, my opinion, Manny really was the one who wanted the fight, since a long time ago, we all know how Floyd asked for this and that before. If Manny's camp were just making it up, Floyd would have pointed it out. As to who was responsible for the fight happening, of course Floyd can say he was... because everyone was really just waiting on him to say yes.

Then again all those is a moot point, the most important point now is who will win the fight? :)

Diba, what the heck will it matter who asked for the fight, etc. after the fight itself, it's who won which matters at the end.

TTFN

Arvin

I wont argue that Floyd's ego got in the way. He believed he was the face of boxing and the one who would bring the bigger money. Yes Floyd acted like a bully, but excuses did come from both camps. Sure Manny himself would fight anyone, and maybe he was not the one who cooked up the outdoor stadium in the strip excuse. It most likely came from his own negotiating team.

But yeah, we can all go back and forth, argue about this and that, whose fault is it, what matters is that its finally fight on. Although some will argue that both are a little past their "peak" prime, its still a relevant fight pa din naman because they are still considered the top dogs of the sport.

At least di yung kagaya kay Hopkins Vs RJJ part 2. Yun talaga sayang. Bernard was dominating the middleweight division, and RJJ in the light heavyweight. Palitan lang sila sa top spot ng p4p ranking. But egos got in the way, di nagkasundo sa hatian, kaya nilabanan na lang ni Hopkins si Dela Hoya. Tapos nung nangyari na yung rematch, pareho ng matanda at laos na laos na si RJJ.

Edited by Edmund Dantes

I'd say your theory is plausible that Floyd knew that the middlemen were asking this and that, so he was asking this and that. Maybe what happened might be something like... Okay Floyd we want 60/40 split for Manny, and you need to use this and that gloves, etc. Then Floyd counters 60/40? That is crazy, if you want that, then okay let's fight outdoors. Or something like that, okay sort of like saying if you want 60/40 fine, but Manny fights without Cups :) But we'll never know really what happened.

There is an interesting article in wikipedia about the negotiations though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Mayweather,_Jr._vs._Manny_Pacquiao

Age-wise, actually Floyd is older 38 vs. 36, I know when we talk about "past their prime" we are talking about their physical fighting prime, but at least they are still more or less matched. I think we can still say we'd still be all satisfied to find closure.

Edited by shadow555

I'd say your theory is plausible that Floyd knew that the middlemen were asking this and that, so he was asking this and that. Maybe what happened might be something like... Okay Floyd we want 60/40 split for Manny, and you need to use this and that gloves, etc. Then Floyd counters 60/40? That is crazy, if you want that, then okay let's fight outdoors. Or something like that, okay sort of like saying if you want 60/40 fine, but Manny fights without Cups :) But we'll never know really what happened.

There is an interesting article in wikipedia about the negotiations though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Mayweather,_Jr._vs._Manny_Pacquiao

Age-wise, actually Floyd is older 38 vs. 36, I know when we talk about "past their prime" we are talking about their physical fighting prime, but at least they are still more or less matched. I think we can still say we'd still be all satisfied to find closure.

Prime or not both are still at the top of the sports rankings, thus the fight is still relevant. All that matters now really is they are gonna fight. After this parehong pwede na magretire yung dalawa

Question;

How did Floyd Sr. get back in his son's corner as head trainer? For a while Floyd Jr. couldn't stand his own dad, and I wouldn't too. Floyd Sr. was a failure at being an elite champion, so he tried to live his dreams through his more talented son. A typical stage Dad. Nothing wrong with being proud of your son, but when you attempt to steal your sons kudos thats just not cool. I mean, Sr. wants to steal every credit he can for his sons success.

I was so disgusted with him watching Pacquiao Hatton 24/7. Roach never attempted to steal too much spotlight from his pupil. He acknowledges that he is where he is at because of Pacquiao and not the other way around. But Floyd Sr. was your classic kulang sa pansin. Kungbaga sa pelikula, sidekick lang sya pero gusto nya sya bida. He was not hyping his fighter, he was hyping himself. It also didn't help that he was so unprofessional and would arrive late for Hatton's training session. I wonder why Jr. would choose to have him back in his corner, when it was uncle Roger who made Jr. the champion he is.

Question;

How did Floyd Sr. get back in his son's corner as head trainer? For a while Floyd Jr. couldn't stand his own dad, and I wouldn't too. Floyd Sr. was a failure at being an elite champion, so he tried to live his dreams through his more talented son. A typical stage Dad. Nothing wrong with being proud of your son, but when you attempt to steal your sons kudos thats just not cool. I mean, Sr. wants to steal every credit he can for his sons success.

I was so disgusted with him watching Pacquiao Hatton 24/7. Roach never attempted to steal too much spotlight from his pupil. He acknowledges that he is where he is at because of Pacquiao and not the other way around. But Floyd Sr. was your classic kulang sa pansin. Kungbaga sa pelikula, sidekick lang sya pero gusto nya sya bida. He was not hyping his fighter, he was hyping himself. It also didn't help that he was so unprofessional and would arrive late for Hatton's training session. I wonder why Jr. would choose to have him back in his corner, when it was uncle Roger who made Jr. the champion he is.

sir si roger ang naging champion..si sr. kamoteng boxer yan,mas accomplished pa as a boxer si roach..pero yun na nga frustration nya ang maging champion.si roger talaga ang nag lay down ng boxing fundamentals ni money kasi nung naguumpisa sya diba nakakulong si sr.

Apparently the main reason for Sr. to be back is because of Roger's failing health.

Also apparently it is not just because of the fight with Manny, they were back before already 2013 palang.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/3857/mayweather-jr-and-sr-reunite

Thanks for the link.

Yeah, nakikita ko na sa mismong corner ni Jr. erpat nya back in 2013 pa. Interesting! Kasi remember yung baldomir fight? Nakulong din noon si Roger kaya si Ellorbe ang tumayong head trainer sa mismong laban. Tapos nasuspindi pa pagkatapos nung melee kay Zab Judah. I guess talagang nagbati na yung mag-ama. I wonder, tama kaya si Freddie na magiging factor ito sa preparation ni Jr.? Si Roger naman kasi daw ang mas magaling na trainer.

Not to sound like I am making excuses for Hatton, at that stage of his career noone could have really helped him perform better against Pacquiao. Kahit anong technique pa kasi ituro, he will go back fighting the way he is used to. But, I think that Floyd Sr. never really cared that much about his own fighter. He cared more about himself. Syempre malaking laban, gusto nya makapantay sa kasikatan ng anak nya. Ni hindi daw naging professional sa mga training session, tapos iniwan pa si Hatton nung bulagta at halos bumula na bibig. Anong klaseng trainer naman yan?

sir si roger ang naging champion..si sr. kamoteng boxer yan,mas accomplished pa as a boxer si roach..pero yun na nga frustration nya ang maging champion.si roger talaga ang nag lay down ng boxing fundamentals ni money kasi nung naguumpisa sya diba nakakulong si sr.

True, mas accomplished talaga as a fighter and trainer si Roger. Inggit talaga si Floyd Sr. sa tandem ng dalawa, kasi sila yung sumikat at naiwan sya.

Ask ko lang kung may ppv na dito sa atin? At kung meron na, magkano kaya at sino kaya ang may hawak ng rights for ppv?

Most likely meron yan. Checked with my cable provider kung meron na or kung magkakaroon at ang sabi daw eh wala pang advise ang PPV since march pa lang tayo. Try asking at around mid-april at i'm sure meron na yan. But expect the subscription to jack up by more than 100% from the usual price since this is no ordinary fight.