Pacquiao-Mayweather: “It’s going to happen”

grayle

The most interesting part for me about this fight, is exactly what you guys were saying.... It's a Hero vs. Villain fight, just because Floyd likes to act like the bad guy, and we all know that our country loves this stuff.

If Manny (the Hero) wins! All is good!

But if Floyd (the Villain) loses.... Paano na yun?

Wake up call?

That the Hero does not always win?

So sad, but it's a BIG possibility!

Pinoy Floyd Fans will probably also admit, if Manny Loses, they will also probably feel bad for Manny.

Now as for this issue.

If Manny wins, eh di cinderella story ito. Ang lalabas, most people counted him out dahil natalo ni Marquez but he got back up and defeated a bigger opposition in Mayweather. Parang yung panalo ni Ali kay Foreman, lahat akala laos na si Ali. Natalo pa ni Frazier kasi. Tapos si Foreman naman tinalo si Frazier. So when Ali KOed him, it was a romantic victory.

Pero tama ka, reality is, the better competitor will always win even if he is the bad guy. If you remember Hopkins stomped on the Puerto Rican flag during a press tour and a lot of Puerto Ricans wanted Trinidad to KOTFO Hopkins. But Hopkins outclassed Trinidad and KOed him becoming undisputed middleweight Champ. It is what it is.

I did feel bad for Manny when Marquez turned his lights out. But that KO was good for the sport. Why? Because justice was served in that fight. Come on! Pacquiao was being booed after the third fight. Besides, panalo sya dapat dun sa pangalawa. Marquez focused for 6 months and delivered what he promised.

I do not understand why Marquez got so much hate from Pinoys lalo na from Chino Trinidad na para lang namang tanga kung mag comentate sa boxing. Kesyo nangapak daw ng paa, na ginawa rin naman ni Manny, o kaya nakasteroids naman. Marquez was a gentleman before and after the fight naman kung tutuusin.

Can't wait for the 24/7 or all access episodes. Matinding drama ito sigurado. I wonder what antics Floyd Mayweather will cook up to be a better villain. Its a role he does so well. Huwag lang sana maging sobrang OA kagaya yung ginawa nya kay Ortiz na talagang focus nya lang ay mainis sa kanya lalo ang tao para panoorin laban. Sabagay di naman kasi sikat si Ortiz.

But more than the drama between the two fighters, may drama din sigurado among the cornermen. Floyd Mayweather Sr. is back as his sons headcoach. Wala si uncle Roger. Floyd Sr. is really a pompous assh*le. He is the typical stage-daddy. He was a failure as a figher and now he is trying to make his own dreams be realized through his son. That would not have been a problem had he not stolen too much camera attention from his fighters the way he did with Ricky Hatton and Oscar Dela Hoya. I wonder why Floyd chose him, when Roger is the better trainer.

Floyd Sr. has a score to settle with Freddie. Freddie embarrassed him when Hatton got KOed badly. So much he had to walk out of Ricky's Corner. Plus Alex Ariza is now in Floyd's corner. Both of them hold a grudge against Freddie

First of all, boxing is a hit and don't get hit game. Its not supposed to be that bullsh!t Rocky Balboa Vs Ivan Drago. Floyd is a master of this, so in a sense he is right that he does not want to take punishment. Second in as much as Manny can hurt Floyd, Floyd can hurt him even more. He is bigger than him, he has better reach advantage, better reflexes, and the perfect style to nuetralize Manny's forward onslaught. From the point of view of skill vs skill, I dont see why he'd duck Manny.

Mayweather was scared then because Manny was destroying guys that Mayweather had a tough time putting away or was refusing to fight, Hatton, ODLH, Mosley. Mosley even hurt Mayweather with one punch in the 2nd round. Manny destroyed him. Mayweather wouldn't touch Cotto or Margarito at the time, until Manny destroyed both. He was a legitimate threat to PBFs legacy.

Zab lost that fight because Mayweather effectively frustrated him and adjusted to his game. Counterpunchers and precision fighters are always known to be slow starters, they like to adjust and frustrate opponents. Ito ang mga nakakaasar sa totoo lang sa sparring. Yung tipo bang hindi mo na nga matamaan nasisingitan ka pa ng suntok lagi. Many opponents fell into this trap, Judah, Hatton, Maidana, and Ortiz. They all started to get frustrated and started being reckless and paid for it dearly.

No.

Zab lost that fight because he ran out of gas. He was winning handily in the early rounds and ran out of gas by the later rounds.

Maidana lost because Mayweather resorted to clinching and not fighting. Watch that fight again. It was a terrible display and part of the reason why boxing is dying.

Before manny got his lights turned off by Marquez, many were criticizing that while it was impressive to see him fight bigger guys, he were fighting guys who had styles perfect for his. Come forward, bully the smaller guy and be slower. When he fought Marquez for the third time he got exposed really badly. That all along it was an issue of style and skill not size.

Again incorrect. Bradley is a poor man's Mayweather. Very evasive and defense oriented, and we all know who really won that first Pacquiao/Bradley fight.

But yes styles make fights and Marquez knows Manny by heart. Fight a guy enough times, you'll memorize his moves in your sleep.

Besides we all wanna believe Floyd is a coward because he acts like a douche all the time, when in fact its all just for show.

oh he really is a douchebag and its not just to sell fights he really is like that. None of the all time greats referred to themselves as The Greatest Ever, not even the true Greatest of All Time Sugar Ray Robinson. None of the greats got pissed at reporters for asking them pointed questions, and none of them challenged a septugenarian Larry Merchant to a fight because of a Manny Pacquiao comment.

great boxer? Sure PBF is probably one of the greatest technical boxers of all time. Class A human being? not by a longshot.

I believe it will be good for boxing if Manny wins. A lot of people will be interested in the sport. Win or lose, Mayweather will still be making a lot of Money with the sport, because many people just wanna see the living sh!t get kicked out of him. Its hard to appreciate Mayweather's fighting style by casual fight fans who really have no reason to follow the sport.

Nah, this is a one time thing. It won't be enough to bring boxing back. This is the only fight big enough to bring casual fans to the sport.

After this, there's nothing. Both guys are nearing the end of their careers, if PBF wins I think he only fights 3 more times to get to fifty and beat Rocky Marciano's unbeaten streak. Manny retires after this, that much is clear.

The best active fighters right now can't bring in the casual fans. The heavyweight champion, who has been undefeated in 12 years, can't bring the numbers. The deadliest and most exciting fighter in the sport today, GGG, also can't bring in the numbers (plus no one wants to fight him). No one's left after Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Boxing has ruined boxing. Gone are the days when the best fighters faced each other multiple times. Ali fought Frazier, and Foreman. Duran, Leonard, and Hagler fought each other multiple times.

we have none of that now.

That might be a good marketing decision for FMJ, but it makes it harder to consider him an all-time great. Nonetheless, in the next few years, FMJ will be judged if he can be written into boxing history's greatness. FMJ fans need not worry, coz in casting an ATG to stone, his personal demeanor and character are not given much weight- just his 'greatness' exploits. We'll see...

this is true

when people think of Ali now, he's this mythical being that could do no wrong. but people forget what a terrible sh1t talker Ali was back in the day, and how much of a douchebag he really was too.

Ali would say anything to promote a fight and psych his opponents out. He'd even go as low as using racial taunts, calling foreman a gorilla, and referring to Joe Frazier as an Uncle Tom (which Frazier hasn't forgotten until the day he died).

Mayweather was scared then because Manny was destroying guys that Mayweather had a tough time putting away or was refusing to fight, Hatton, ODLH, Mosley. Mosley even hurt Mayweather with one punch in the 2nd round. Manny destroyed him. Mayweather wouldn't touch Cotto or Margarito at the time, until Manny destroyed both. He was a legitimate threat to PBFs legacy.

Come on! The main reason why Manny destroyed all of them was because they had style perfect for his. This has always been a fair criticism about Manny. That as good as his opponents were, they all had no other strategy really but to come forward and bully the smaller man. Of course Pacquiao will get the upperhand because that is the way he fights. I mean to take nothing from Pacquiao but I think this is a fair criticism. Dela Hoya to begin with was not even healthy at all when he jumped in that ring. I mean look at him, he looked like he just got out of the hospital bed. Any welterweight contender who jumped in that ring with oscar would have kicked his ass, Manny only made it look good. His victory with Hatton of course was impressive, but then again Manny fights toe to toe, naturally he will get the upperhand. Mayweather likes to play the psych game, he likes to frustrate the opposition and pick them apart in the later rounds. Just like a matador would to a bull. Margarito? Oh come on! Margarito was not even an elite to begin with. His most significant victory was a fraud. Besides, if he was any slower he could have sprouted some roots on that canvass. Marquez on the third fight exposed what Pacquiao was about. Yes Freddie made him effective at what he does, but still he is the same fighter who can't handle precission boxers. I thought Bradley could have won the second fight had he not decided to brawl with manny.

The point I wanna make with all these is that Mayweather being the intelligent fighter that he is did not have any reason to be scared of Pacquiao skillwise. And besides, when it comes to styles its Mayweather who has fought all kinds of style there is. Swarmers, brawlers, counterpunchers, volume punchers etc. From the start we already saw Manny had problems with precision fighters. You think Mayweather did not notice this the way Marquez would?

No.

Zab lost that fight because he ran out of gas. He was winning handily in the early rounds and ran out of gas by the later rounds.

Maidana lost because Mayweather resorted to clinching and not fighting. Watch that fight again. It was a terrible display and part of the reason why boxing is dying.

More than Zab gassing out, he was getting frustrated because in the middle of the fight Floyd started to pick him apart and frustrate him. He got so reckless, he began throwing fouls which caused the melee and made roger jump over the ring. And granting that he did Gas out, that just shows that Mayweather came into that fight with better athleticism. Floyd is a master of frustrating his opponents.

Yes I know the way he fights maybe boring to casual fans its not Gatti VS Ward or that bullshit we saw in Rocky IV. But you gotta do what you can to win the fight right? Thats his style. At least he wasn't the one fouling so many times and making the fight dirty.

Again incorrect. Bradley is a poor man's Mayweather. Very evasive and defense oriented, and we all know who really won that first Pacquiao/Bradley fight.

But yes styles make fights and Marquez knows Manny by heart. Fight a guy enough times, you'll memorize his moves in your sleep.

But bradley is no counterpuncher. He is a boxer/brawler. He would have won the second fight with pacquiao had he decided not to brawl with him where Manny will get the upperhand. Still full credit to pacquiao in both fights.

Marquez deserves full credit for that win. Actually, in the entire series, I only have Manny winning the first fight out of the error made in the scorecareds. Marquez should have been awarded the decision in the second and third fight. Especially in the second where he clearly won more rounds than Pacquiao. The KD happened in only one round. Besides it works both ways, if Marquez was able to memorize Mannys move because he fought him so many times, so should have Manny. I mean he is younger than Marquez so he should have made the necessary adjustments in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fight.

Manny being KOed in the 4th fight I thought was something good for the sport. Its how you settle an injustice. Besides, Marquez really prepared for that fight. He promised hed turn Manny's lights out and boy did he? II dont even know if Manny took this fight seriously. Maybe his conditioning was spot on, be he did not take into account that Marquez at the time was pissed as a motherfcker for getting robbed for the 3rd time and was so determined to put him to sleep he reportedly trained almost 6 months.

oh he really is a douchebag and its not just to sell fights he really is like that. None of the all time greats referred to themselves as The Greatest Ever, not even the true Greatest of All Time Sugar Ray Robinson. None of the greats got pissed at reporters for asking them pointed questions, and none of them challenged a septugenarian Larry Merchant to a fight because of a Manny Pacquiao comment.

great boxer? Sure PBF is probably one of the greatest technical boxers of all time. Class A human being? not by a longshot.

Ali quarelled with his critics a lot and he was credited for the famous quote "while I am up here fighting you are down there shouting!". Ali was sometimes the hero and the villan depending on who he was fighting. People hated him so much theyd boo him when he entered the ring. I don't see that happening with Floyd. As for SRR? Man Floyd is actually a choirboy compared to SRR. Outside the ring SRR was a pompous narcissitic primadonna who would nail his wife with combinations. He breached fight contracts all the time. He'd sign the contract, then demand for more pay, sometimes the only way you can be sure that the fight would indeed happen is when you actually see him jump on that ring.

Manny is not the class triple A human being the media portrays him to be. He has his own brand of arrogance. Besides, doesnt this guy cheat on his wife all the time? He is a mere poster boy. But who cares right? We do not know these people in person, and at the end of the day its skills that determine the outcome of the fight.

To me, its enough that Floyd has that gracious winner attitude and so as long as he is not fouled, he tries to fight clean.

Edited by Edmund Dantes

Nah, this is a one time thing. It won't be enough to bring boxing back. This is the only fight big enough to bring casual fans to the sport.

After this, there's nothing. Both guys are nearing the end of their careers, if PBF wins I think he only fights 3 more times to get to fifty and beat Rocky Marciano's unbeaten streak. Manny retires after this, that much is clear.

The best active fighters right now can't bring in the casual fans. The heavyweight champion, who has been undefeated in 12 years, can't bring the numbers. The deadliest and most exciting fighter in the sport today, GGG, also can't bring in the numbers (plus no one wants to fight him). No one's left after Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Boxing has ruined boxing. Gone are the days when the best fighters faced each other multiple times. Ali fought Frazier, and Foreman. Duran, Leonard, and Hagler fought each other multiple times.

Or..... maybe we are just too focused right now on Pacquiao Mayweather

Wait! Again did I miss a big news again? Manny will surely retire after this fight?

Don't know how to react to this, though just a bit surprised... wait actually I think it's better for him to Retire na nga!

The last Fight with Marquez, I myself give full Credit to Marquez, it was a well won fight, he obviously prepared for the fight, and as I said KOs are the surest way to win a fight, no score cards, decisions, etc.

We have to admit it, bulagta talaga si Manny, he even convulsed a bit, which was scary!

I saw the youtube compilation about Floyd posted by Edmund, grabe talaga yung lokong yun sa bilis nang ilag at counterpunch. He looks like a rattlesnake when he strikes, he knows when he can start countering. This is 1000% what Manny has to watch out for, because he really knows how to start hitting back, after his opponent stop to recover after a combination. I also saw that hitting his deltoids as I suggested won't work, if you punch him on the shoulder, he'd counter punch you in the face.

So paano?

Manny will probably do what he does, if he decides to counter punch with Floyd, we'd be watching a dancing competition not boxing (and we know Manny won't do this, he'd be scared people will start booing).

Wala as a non expert, I'd say, he should do what he does, but make sure he can defend himself from strong counters, and keep going, so he should not lose steam. Of course you use up a lot more energy doing 3 to 4 combinations, compared to just dodging those combinations, so he should really be on top of his game physically.

Edmund, noted about your points, as I said I understand what you are saying, but even though you say you don't want yourself to be called "Pinoy" there are lots of "Pinoys" who are not like the "Pinoytards" that you describe, maybe "Pactards" na nga lang siguro, (retarded Pacquiao fans)? Para at least smaller Generalization :)

Kakatawa nga, forget about personalities, who is Hero or Villain, just look at their fighting styles and their fight history, nakaka excite talaga!

this is an interesting fight which could go either way... if mayweather would be able to maximize his reach advantage just like when he fought against marquez then he would have win this fight specially if manny keeps on coming to him and it would expose manny's vulnerability same with the pacman-marquez4..yan ang dapat ingatan ni manny yung bara-bara style nya na volume punches sometimes it leaves an opening just a perfect set up for money-may ..pero on the other hand it could work for pacman's advantage kasi yung volume punches ni pacman sometimes walang magawa si floyd which was also exposed in the mayweather-marquez fight nung time na nasa ropes si mayweather di na nya alam kung pano gagawin pag napasukan sya ni marquez the problem with marquez is that hindi sya kasing dami at lakas sumuntok ni manny .. so this is really an exciting fight ... calculations vs volume punches ... perfect for gambling a match made in heaven .. thats what makes it exciting both fighters can win or lose its just a good fight

Wait! Again did I miss a big news again? Manny will surely retire after this fight?

Don't know how to react to this, though just a bit surprised... wait actually I think it's better for him to Retire na nga!

The last Fight with Marquez, I myself give full Credit to Marquez, it was a well won fight, he obviously prepared for the fight, and as I said KOs are the surest way to win a fight, no score cards, decisions, etc.

We have to admit it, bulagta talaga si Manny, he even convulsed a bit, which was scary!

I saw the youtube compilation about Floyd posted by Edmund, grabe talaga yung lokong yun sa bilis nang ilag at counterpunch. He looks like a rattlesnake when he strikes, he knows when he can start countering. This is 1000% what Manny has to watch out for, because he really knows how to start hitting back, after his opponent stop to recover after a combination. I also saw that hitting his deltoids as I suggested won't work, if you punch him on the shoulder, he'd counter punch you in the face.

So paano?

Manny will probably do what he does, if he decides to counter punch with Floyd, we'd be watching a dancing competition not boxing (and we know Manny won't do this, he'd be scared people will start booing).

Wala as a non expert, I'd say, he should do what he does, but make sure he can defend himself from strong counters, and keep going, so he should not lose steam. Of course you use up a lot more energy doing 3 to 4 combinations, compared to just dodging those combinations, so he should really be on top of his game physically.

Edmund, noted about your points, as I said I understand what you are saying, but even though you say you don't want yourself to be called "Pinoy" there are lots of "Pinoys" who are not like the "Pinoytards" that you describe, maybe "Pactards" na nga lang siguro, (retarded Pacquiao fans)? Para at least smaller Generalization :)

Kakatawa nga, forget about personalities, who is Hero or Villain, just look at their fighting styles and their fight history, nakaka excite talaga!

Coming from a fellow non-expert.

RJJ would have neutralized Floyds elusive style. Like Floyd, he had catlike reflexes.. perhaps the best in the history of the sport. He was so accurate and quick, he never needed to jab to establish his powershots. It will find the target like his fists were laser guided heat-seaking rockets. Floyd can shoulder roll and duck all he wants, but he will catch him. RJJs main defense is his reflexes too, he don't need to cover up of slip the punches, he can dodge them quickly. With his long reach Floyd will have problems trying to counter him....

Now I know what smartasses will say, but RJJ was a light heavyweight. I know! but in terms of fighting style and anatomy, this would have been perfect for Floyd's defensive style. Unfortunately, Manny does not fight this way. First of all, he is a short guy and his reach isn't that long. He comes in, flurry, then turns. He leaves himself open for a counter and when he has to back up, he can't fight anymore. Its not athleticism that will make Pacquiao stand a chance. Rather its intelligent strategy and fighting.

Yes I understand not all Filipinos are "pinoytards". Ang mga tinutukoy ko naman yung mga walang pinagaralang masa na madali mauto ng kapamilya at kapuso sa proud to be pinoy na kalokohan na yan. Marami namang pilipino ang edukado at hindi bobo para itaya buong bansa nila sa laro ng boxing. Pero itong mga tinutukoy ko, kakapal ng mukha. Sila malakas sumigaw ng proud to be pinoy, at patriotic daw kuno, mga hindi naman nagbabayad ng buwis. I hope we have a way of shutting them up kasi nakakahiyang mageneralize na puros ganun ang Pilipino.

Yes polar opposites sina Floyd at Manny in terms of fighting style and personalities. Manny is the humble warrior who fights for the honor of his country kuno. Floyd is the flambouyant and arrogant douchebag who fights for money and does not even care if the fans love him or not. Manny is the best offensive fighter in the game right now. Floyd is the best defensive fighter in this generation... maybe of all time even.

Like it or not, personalities really sell the sports. Ali, Frazier, Liston, Duran, Leonard, Hagler, Tyson, RJJ, Hopkins, they are all personalities who made the sport popular not just beacuse of their skill but on the colorful characters they portrayed. Klistchko as good as a fighter he is could not revive the heavyweight division. The thing is, the bros have very intersting personalities, pero wala na yung magagaling na kontrabida sa division. Sure Shannon Briggs keeps trolling him, but that guy has no talent.

Eto wishful thinking ko.

Sana after the fight, kahit sino pa manalo, sana Mayweather will be coming to the Philippines to do a commercial with Manny Pacquiao. Sobrang regalo yun sa Filipino fans. And why not? Morales and Pacquiao were bitter rivals but after the trilogy, Morales won the hearts of Filipino fans. Marquez naman kahit papano may fans pa din dito. Sana talaga gumawa silang dalawa ng San Mig commerical o kahit ano, basta kaya talent fee ni Mayweather.

Ako I believe if Mayweather beats Pacquiao, hindi nya naman masyado tatapakan pride nya. In fact, him being a consistent gracious winner will even praise him and the Filipino fans supporting him. Tsaka kahit naman sa mga bitter rivalries sa boxing madami naging magkaibigan pagkatapos. Ali and Foreman, Leonard tsaka si Duran. and of course Tyson and Holyfield who did a lot of things together after the fight.

Sakin, sino man manalo, both men deserve credit for what they did to the sport. Let us not hate so much on Floyd just because he always likes to be the bad guy. Kung tutuusin, tama naman sya, he is a very dedicated athlete. Wala naman syang ibang bisyo talaga other than sports betting

Come on! The main reason why Manny destroyed all of them was because they had style perfect for his. This has always been a fair criticism about Manny. That as good as his opponents were, they all had no other strategy really but to come forward and bully the smaller man. Of course Pacquiao will get the upperhand because that is the way he fights. I mean to take nothing from Pacquiao but I think this is a fair criticism. Dela Hoya to begin with was not even healthy at all when he jumped in that ring. I mean look at him, he looked like he just got out of the hospital bed. Any welterweight contender who jumped in that ring with oscar would have kicked his ass, Manny only made it look good. His victory with Hatton of course was impressive, but then again Manny fights toe to toe, naturally he will get the upperhand. Mayweather likes to play the psych game, he likes to frustrate the opposition and pick them apart in the later rounds. Just like a matador would to a bull. Margarito? Oh come on! Margarito was not even an elite to begin with. His most significant victory was a fraud. Besides, if he was any slower he could have sprouted some roots on that canvass. Marquez on the third fight exposed what Pacquiao was about. Yes Freddie made him effective at what he does, but still he is the same fighter who can't handle precission boxers. I thought Bradley could have won the second fight had he not decided to brawl with manny.

The point I wanna make with all these is that Mayweather being the intelligent fighter that he is did not have any reason to be scared of Pacquiao skillwise. And besides, when it comes to styles its Mayweather who has fought all kinds of style there is. Swarmers, brawlers, counterpunchers, volume punchers etc. From the start we already saw Manny had problems with precision fighters. You think Mayweather did not notice this the way Marquez would?

Maybe PBF doesn't have a reason to be scared of Manny, but he is scared, he admitted it himself and to paraphrase him "I don't want to get hurt, I have my family to think about" - is that not scared?

But bradley is no counterpuncher. He is a boxer/brawler. He would have won the second fight with pacquiao had he decided not to brawl with him where Manny will get the upperhand. Still full credit to pacquiao in both fights.

what!? Bradley is a counterpuncher, his game is almost identical to Floyd's.

Marquez deserves full credit for that win. Actually, in the entire series, I only have Manny winning the first fight out of the error made in the scorecareds. Marquez should have been awarded the decision in the second and third fight. Especially in the second where he clearly won more rounds than Pacquiao. The KD happened in only one round. Besides it works both ways, if Marquez was able to memorize Mannys move because he fought him so many times, so should have Manny. I mean he is younger than Marquez so he should have made the necessary adjustments in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fight.

Manny did make adjustments, in fact he was winning the majority of the rounds before the KO. But it's boxing, you get caught.

Ali quarelled with his critics a lot and he was credited for the famous quote "while I am up here fighting you are down there shouting!". Ali was sometimes the hero and the villan depending on who he was fighting. People hated him so much theyd boo him when he entered the ring. I don't see that happening with Floyd. As for SRR? Man Floyd is actually a choirboy compared to SRR. Outside the ring SRR was a pompous narcissitic primadonna who would nail his wife with combinations. He breached fight contracts all the time. He'd sign the contract, then demand for more pay, sometimes the only way you can be sure that the fight would indeed happen is when you actually see him jump on that ring.
Manny is not the class triple A human being the media portrays him to be. He has his own brand of arrogance. Besides, doesnt this guy cheat on his wife all the time? He is a mere poster boy. But who cares right? We do not know these people in person, and at the end of the day its skills that determine the outcome of the fight.

To me, its enough that Floyd has that gracious winner attitude and so as long as he is not fouled, he tries to fight clean.

Floyd fighting clean is the funniest thing you've said in the entire post.

Mayweather utilizing the overhook from grappling

http://giant.gfycat.com/ImmaculateKnobbyDutchsmoushond.gif

this time Mayweather utilizes the underhook and an overhook, WITHOUT throwing a punch. It's more wrestling now than boxing

http://giant.gfycat.com/AdvancedEmptyCondor.gif

and like any good wrestler, Mayweather also utilizes the elbow to the face or the crossface

http://fat.gfycat.com/VariableOrganicAppaloosa.gif

http://i.minus.com/jywh37BzRpeWk.png

Yup he sure fights clean.

Edited by Larry

when the promoters started deciding the fights is when boxing went down ...

this fight is 5 years too late and im having second thoughts buying the ppv ...

Maybe PBF doesn't have a reason to be scared of Manny, but he is scared, he admitted it himself and to paraphrase him "I don't want to get hurt, I have my family to think about" - is that not scared?

First of all, thats just rubbish. I don't want to get hurt = I don't wanna fight Pacquaio because I am scared he will hurt me. Seriously? Miguel Cotto said something similar in front of Max Kellerman and Antonio Margarito himself. So does that mean he was scared of Margarito? Give me a break, every opponent you face will always try to hurt you. But the name of the game is hit-but-don't-get-hit. Its not that Rocky Balboa bullsh!t. No soldier wants to be shot or lose a limb, but that is not te same as saying they will not jump into the battlefield.

what!? Bradley is a counterpuncher, his game is almost identical to Floyd's.

Huh? Bradley's style is very very far from Mayweathers. Watch the Provodnikov fight. Actually had he decided not to slug it out with manny and stick to precision boxing, he would have had the better of Pacquiao.

Manny did make adjustments, in fact he was winning the majority of the rounds before the KO. But it's boxing, you get caught.

Oh here we go, the "lucky punch" argument again. Thats it, Marquez just got lucky. Sure, he was so lucky he dropped Pacquiao twice in that fight. The second time turning his lights off. Pacquaio was merely ahead in the scorecards by a few rounds. It does not mean he was dominating the fight. In fact, it was Pacquaio who was always lucky to escape decision wins he does not deserve. IMO, he only won the first fight. Fight number 2 and 3 should have been awarded to Marquez. Why can't you people give Marquez full credit for that win. Like I said what he did was good for the sport. He settled and injustice to his own career by being the best he could be. He trained for almost 6 months. I hardly saw Manny's determination to prepare for this fight.

Floyd fighting clean is the funniest thing you've said in the entire post.

I specifically said, he tries to fight clean as long as he is not fouled. Hatton, Ortiz, and Maidana all kept fouling him. Come on, Maidana was headbutting Floyd a lot. And why hate on Floyd for Clinch fighting Maidana a lot? He had to win the fight the way he knows how to right?

Love him or hate him, boxing makes a lot of Money because of Floyd. Who wanted to see Pacquiao pummel Chris Algieri? Nobody! But more people follow the bad guy because you either pay to see him win or pay to see him lose.

First of all, thats just rubbish. I don't want to get hurt = I don't wanna fight Pacquaio because I am scared he will hurt me. Seriously? Miguel Cotto said something similar in front of Max Kellerman and Antonio Margarito himself. So does that mean he was scared of Margarito? Give me a break, every opponent you face will always try to hurt you. But the name of the game is hit-but-don't-get-hit. Its not that Rocky Balboa bullsh!t. No soldier wants to be shot or lose a limb, but that is not te same as saying they will not jump into the battlefield.

It's boxing, if you don't want to get hurt go play tennis.

Oh here we go, the "lucky punch" argument again. Thats it, Marquez just got lucky. Sure, he was so lucky he dropped Pacquiao twice in that fight. The second time turning his lights off. Pacquaio was merely ahead in the scorecards by a few rounds. It does not mean he was dominating the fight. In fact, it was Pacquaio who was always lucky to escape decision wins he does not deserve. IMO, he only won the first fight. Fight number 2 and 3 should have been awarded to Marquez. Why can't you people give Marquez full credit for that win. Like I said what he did was good for the sport. He settled and injustice to his own career by being the best he could be. He trained for almost 6 months. I hardly saw Manny's determination to prepare for this fight.

i didn't say it was a lucky punch. I said he got caught. big difference.

I specifically said, he tries to fight clean as long as he is not fouled. Hatton, Ortiz, and Maidana all kept fouling him. Come on, Maidana was headbutting Floyd a lot. And why hate on Floyd for Clinch fighting Maidana a lot? He had to win the fight the way he knows how to right?

Those gifs I posted are from the second Maidana fight. And explain the Mosley crossface then...

And yes I will hate on Floyd for clinching and not fighting. The old Floyd used the clinch to avoid the counter after throwing a punch. That Floyd I posted clutched on Maidana the entire fight. It's boxing not wrestling. Clinching is an art form in boxing, but if you just clinch to stay "safe" then you're just cheating your way to a win. The fight was so bad, that people were leaving even before it was over. It was so bad, that Floyd only threw one punch in the final round.

Yeah he's great technically, he has excellent technique, etc. etc. One thing he's not is a fighter. He's a great boxer, but he's not a fighter, because fighters fight, and don't run.

Love him or hate him, boxing makes a lot of Money because of Floyd. Who wanted to see Pacquiao pummel Chris Algieri? Nobody! But more people follow the bad guy because you either pay to see him win or pay to see him lose.

I was chatting with Boxing fans, and these guys has some boxing background naman.

We started of course with how exciting the fight will be, and of course we got to talking who we think will win.

I told them that I am of course for Manny, though I am not too sure about his odds, as Mayweather is of course is unbeaten and is very skilled.

They agreed with me, but offered some insights on how they think Manny might be able to beat Mayweather.

1. Manny is a Southpaw

2. Manny's punches comes from different angles.

3. Manny punches hard

I was told to watch a youtube video of Mayweather fighting a southpaw, forgot his name, but I was able to find the video of someone who said that he knows how Mayweather can be beat.... and he used a lot of videos from Mayweather vs. Judah, and that video showed how Judah was able to connect on Floyd. This was mostly about how Floyd's defence (like the shoulder roll) isn't as great with southpaws. Okay sure.

But that is not all, Manny has a strong punch and can hit from different angles, which hopefully also will keep Floyd guessing.

At the end, we all agreed, that Manny has to hurt Floyd within the first 3 rounds, if not, then Floyd will be able to read what Manny is doing and will bounce back at the end... Edmund pointed this out, that this is Floyd's tactics often.

I think that once a boxer starts getting tired, they rely on muscle memory and thus start going into the same rhythm which is what Floyd capitalizes on. So for the May 2 fight, I guess, for Manny he has to go and try to hurt Floyd within the first 3 rounds, then after that he should be very defensive.

It's boxing, if you don't want to get hurt go play tennis.

Come on! there are injuries in tennis also, even in golf. You can get hurt playing any sport. Thats why you equally train to not hurt yourself. Yes its boxing. Its supposed to be a hit-and-do-not-get-hit-game. Its not supposed to be that bullsh!t in the Rocky series. Boxing is also a game of tactical finesse.

i didn't say it was a lucky punch. I said he got caught. big difference.

But the way you said it, its as if Marquez does not deserve full credit as the better fighter because he just "caught" Pacquiao and it "happens" in boxing. I give full credit to Marquez and IMO, Marquez is the better fighter. He should have been awarded the decision in the second and third fight. He saw it as an injustice, so he trained nearly for 6 months, he developed his power and physique and delivered what he promised. Pacquiao? I am not even sure if he took the fight as seriously as he was supposed to. He trained in GenSan in order to support his brothers campaign. Sure his conditioning may have been spot on, but from the onset he should have taken Marquez's determination to KOTFO seriously.

Anyway, like I said, victories like that are good for the sport. It may have been a sad day for Filipinos, but definitely what happened there was good for boxing

Those gifs I posted are from the second Maidana fight. And explain the Mosley crossface then...

And yes I will hate on Floyd for clinching and not fighting. The old Floyd used the clinch to avoid the counter after throwing a punch. That Floyd I posted clutched on Maidana the entire fight. It's boxing not wrestling. Clinching is an art form in boxing, but if you just clinch to stay "safe" then you're just cheating your way to a win. The fight was so bad, that people were leaving even before it was over. It was so bad, that Floyd only threw one punch in the final round.

Yeah he's great technically, he has excellent technique, etc. etc. One thing he's not is a fighter. He's a great boxer, but he's not a fighter, because fighters fight, and don't run.

Come on, those are semi-legal moves actually. Its sometimes needed to protect your head from a headbutt. Its a fighting game it gets ugly. Maidana is a known dirty fighter himself. He was also fouling floyd in the second fight. Floyd complained to the ref that he was biting his fingers. Thing is, nobody hates on Hatton, Ortiz, or Zab for fouling Floyd, but when Floyd retaliates with a semi-legal move everyone hates on him.

You do not like his non-aggressive style. Thats understandable. Many of us from this generation became interested in boxing because of the rocky series. I admit that some of his fights are sometimes not as exciting as Pacquiao. But that does not mean he deserves all this hate for fighting the way he does. Its also unfair to say that he "runs" and does not fight".

Look at it this way, Floyd only lost to the scorecards one time! If there is one thing that boxing judges don't like its those fighters who "run" and not fight. He will not reach 47-0 losing only one time to the scorecards and drawing twice, if the judges think he is not fighting. Aggression, ringmanship, and control of the fight is taken into consideration in the 10-point scoring system.

Floyd does not fight toe to toe, sure. But that is not the same as running. He is like a matador who likes to take his time, tire out the bull, frustrate it, then pick them apart later on using finesse instead of brute force. He likes to calculate, adjust and rally in the later rounds.

Come on! there are injuries in tennis also, even in golf. You can get hurt playing any sport. Thats why you equally train to not hurt yourself. Yes its boxing. Its supposed to be a hit-and-do-not-get-hit-game. Its not supposed to be that bullsh!t in the Rocky series. Boxing is also a game of tactical finesse.

lol are you seriously trying to compare boxing injuries with tennis elbow? Injured boxers are never the same, Floyd Patterson, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Willie Pep all had dementia pugilistica. Meldrick Taylor can't be coherent to save his life. You're seriously saying that the injuries from non-contact sports like tennis and golf can compare to the severity of boxing injuries?

But the way you said it, its as if Marquez does not deserve full credit as the better fighter because he just "caught" Pacquiao and it "happens" in boxing. I give full credit to Marquez and IMO, Marquez is the better fighter. He should have been awarded the decision in the second and third fight. He saw it as an injustice, so he trained nearly for 6 months, he developed his power and physique and delivered what he promised. Pacquiao? I am not even sure if he took the fight as seriously as he was supposed to. He trained in GenSan in order to support his brothers campaign. Sure his conditioning may have been spot on, but from the onset he should have taken Marquez's determination to KOTFO seriously.

where did i say that? It's a fighting fact, everybody gets caught. It's common knowledge for every one that participates in a combat sport, everybody gets caught, no one is invincible. I don't even know how you got the feeling that I said that Marquez didn't deserve full credit. You're reading too much into what I say

Come on, those are semi-legal moves actually. Its sometimes needed to protect your head from a headbutt. Its a fighting game it gets ugly. Maidana is a known dirty fighter himself. He was also fouling floyd in the second fight. Floyd complained to the ref that he was biting his fingers. Thing is, nobody hates on Hatton, Ortiz, or Zab for fouling Floyd, but when Floyd retaliates with a semi-legal move everyone hates on him.

That's neither here nor there. It doesn't matter if the other guy does it to you too, if you retaliate then you're dirty as well. You can't rationalize it by saying "but he did it first" it's black and white, it's either you do it or you don't. That's such a childish argument.

You do not like his non-aggressive style. Thats understandable. Many of us from this generation became interested in boxing because of the rocky series. I admit that some of his fights are sometimes not as exciting as Pacquiao. But that does not mean he deserves all this hate for fighting the way he does. Its also unfair to say that he "runs" and does not fight".

I don't know which fights you're watching but if you're in a fight and you only throw one punch in 3 minutes, then you're not fighting.

Look at it this way, Floyd only lost to the scorecards one time! If there is one thing that boxing judges don't like its those fighters who "run" and not fight. He will not reach 47-0 losing only one time to the scorecards and drawing twice, if the judges think he is not fighting. Aggression, ringmanship, and control of the fight is taken into consideration in the 10-point scoring system.

ah yes because the boxing judging system is so incorruptible that they make correct decisions all the time.

Floyd does not fight toe to toe, sure. But that is not the same as running. He is like a matador who likes to take his time, tire out the bull, frustrate it, then pick them apart later on using finesse instead of brute force. He likes to calculate, adjust and rally in the later rounds.

The new floyd would disagree with you. The old floyd was a very technical fighter, who beat you with technique. This new floyd is just a runner and a parody of his old self. He couldn't even put Maidana away. A Maidana who got hurt very badly by a plodding Broner. A Maidana who has been in absolute wars within 10 months, and has been hurt very badly by other fighters. He couldn't put him away. The last knockout he had was a very severely underweight and overmatched JMM, who struggled to make weight.

• Like (+1) 1

lol are you seriously trying to compare boxing injuries with tennis elbow? Injured boxers are never the same, Floyd Patterson, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Willie Pep all had dementia pugilistica. Meldrick Taylor can't be coherent to save his life. You're seriously saying that the injuries from non-contact sports like tennis and golf can compare to the severity of boxing injuries?

I am saying, any athlete who says he wants to get hurt is an idiot. The more dangerous the sport is, the more you have to learn to protect yourself. A lot of fighters had their lives and talents wasted because they didn't protect themselves. The name of the game is hit-and-dont-get-hit. No fighter wants to be seriously injured anymore than a soldier in the battlefield wants to be shot. Is that the same as being a coward?

Manny ealier in his career said he wants to retire at the age of 28 because he does not wanna suffer neurological damages. So I guess he was scared now?

where did i say that? It's a fighting fact, everybody gets caught. It's common knowledge for every one that participates in a combat sport, everybody gets caught, no one is invincible. I don't even know how you got the feeling that I said that Marquez didn't deserve full credit. You're reading too much into what I say

To me it sounded that it was more of Manny getting caught and not because a better fighter turned his lights out. But you cleared this one up. so having said that Marquez was the better fighter then right? And there isn't just one excuse you can make for Pacquiao losing that fight. Hence counterpunchers have always been his kryptonite. 4 fights and he could never solve the game of Marquez. In fact he got worse and worse with each outing IMO.

That's neither here nor there. It doesn't matter if the other guy does it to you too, if you retaliate then you're dirty as well. You can't rationalize it by saying "but he did it first" it's black and white, it's either you do it or you don't. That's such a childish argument.

So now we should have double standards then? If Floyd does a semi-legal move we should all throw rotten tomatoes at him because he is the douchebag anyway? I didn't hear anybody booing Ortiz when he was fouling Mayweather against the ropes. Besides, you said it yourself, its a fight business. Its not pretty. You sometimes need to defend yourself against dirty fighters. Those GIFs you show is hardly as damaging as a headbutt, a punch to the back of the head, and even a knee to the thigh which Maidana does sometimes.

I don't know which fights you're watching but if you're in a fight and you only throw one punch in 3 minutes, then you're not fighting.

Lol. Now in what fight and in what round did Floyd throw one punch in 3 minutes. Please name that fight? Because as far as punch stats are concerned he has consistently outlanded his opponents. lol. This is a similar argument in Loenard Vs Hagler. Leonard wasn't fighting Hagler. But in fact the punch stats showed that he was outboxing Hagler. Sure I thought Hagler deserved the decision based on aggression, but ringmanship belonged to leonard.

ah yes because the boxing judging system is so incorruptible that they make correct decisions all the time.

So are you insinuating that the judges were either stupid or the decisions were rigged? I do not understand why you dont give the man the benefit of the doubt he deserves. Love him or hate him, he has outclassed most of his opponents. The most controversial fight he had was against Jose Luis Castillo, whom he gave a rematch to. Other than that, most of his wins were convincing enough not just to the judges but to the other ring observers. Like I said, even the fight stats show that he is winning.

The new floyd would disagree with you. The old floyd was a very technical fighter, who beat you with technique. This new floyd is just a runner and a parody of his old self. He couldn't even put Maidana away. A Maidana who got hurt very badly by a plodding Broner. A Maidana who has been in absolute wars within 10 months, and has been hurt very badly by other fighters. He couldn't put him away. The last knockout he had was a very severely underweight and overmatched JMM, who struggled to make weight.

A runner? That is an unfair criticism when in fact, he has consistently fought champions both young and old. The punch statistics consistently shows that he has thrown and landed more. IMO over the last 2 years Floyd chose better opposition than Manny. Brandon RIos? Chris Algieri come on.

So he has slowed down a bit and showed signs of wear and tear. But thats normal for a boxer that ages. despite that he is still considered as the best fighter in the world right now. I guess all Im trying to say is, lets not discredit him too much just because he is not Rocky Balboa and does not mind being the villain in this sport.

I am saying, any athlete who says he wants to get hurt is an idiot. The more dangerous the sport is, the more you have to learn to protect yourself. A lot of fighters had their lives and talents wasted because they didn't protect themselves. The name of the game is hit-and-dont-get-hit. No fighter wants to be seriously injured anymore than a soldier in the battlefield wants to be shot. Is that the same as being a coward?

Manny ealier in his career said he wants to retire at the age of 28 because he does not wanna suffer neurological damages. So I guess he was scared now?

If you're a boxer and you say don't want to get hurt, that's like a swimmer saying I don't want to get wet.

To me it sounded that it was more of Manny getting caught and not because a better fighter turned his lights out. But you cleared this one up. so having said that Marquez was the better fighter then right? And there isn't just one excuse you can make for Pacquiao losing that fight. Hence counterpunchers have always been his kryptonite. 4 fights and he could never solve the game of Marquez. In fact he got worse and worse with each outing IMO.

Where have I made excuses for Manny? And where did I say that Marquez didn't get the better of Manny in that particular fight.

So now we should have double standards then? If Floyd does a semi-legal move we should all throw rotten tomatoes at him because he is the douchebag anyway? I didn't hear anybody booing Ortiz when he was fouling Mayweather against the ropes. Besides, you said it yourself, its a fight business. Its not pretty. You sometimes need to defend yourself against dirty fighters. Those GIFs you show is hardly as damaging as a headbutt, a punch to the back of the head, and even a knee to the thigh which Maidana does sometimes.

I'm the one with double standards?

You said that Mayweather fights clean.

I posted examples of him fighting dirty.

You said he was just retaliating, because his opponents were dirty too.

And I said that you can't have that excuse, it's either he fights dirty or he doesn't. His opponents fighting dirty have nothing to do with it, absolutely none.

And now I'm the one with double standards?

Lol. Now in what fight and in what round did Floyd throw one punch in 3 minutes. Please name that fight? Because as far as punch stats are concerned he has consistently outlanded his opponents. lol. This is a similar argument in Loenard Vs Hagler. Leonard wasn't fighting Hagler. But in fact the punch stats showed that he was outboxing Hagler. Sure I thought Hagler deserved the decision based on aggression, but ringmanship belonged to leonard.

Mayweather x Maidana 2, exactly one punch from Floyd in the final round after that he was content to just run around the ring. Watch it again.

So are you insinuating that the judges were either stupid or the decisions were rigged? I do not understand why you dont give the man the benefit of the doubt he deserves. Love him or hate him, he has outclassed most of his opponents. The most controversial fight he had was against Jose Luis Castillo, whom he gave a rematch to. Other than that, most of his wins were convincing enough not just to the judges but to the other ring observers. Like I said, even the fight stats show that he is winning.

so you're saying that boxing judges are the most honest, incorruptible people on the planet?

A runner? That is an unfair criticism when in fact, he has consistently fought champions both young and old. The punch statistics consistently shows that he has thrown and landed more. IMO over the last 2 years Floyd chose better opposition than Manny. Brandon RIos? Chris Algieri come on.

what has better competition got to do with anything? The only thing you've proven is that Floyd can choose fights, while Manny can't.

and no floyd doesn't throw more punches, he connects on more, but he doesn't throw more, he's just very accurate. If you don't believe me then look up the compubox stats. Even in training Floyd doesn't throw a lot of punches, he doesn't even throw a lot of punches at a heavy bag. I don't know where you got the idea that he throws more. Anybody who's watched a Floyd fight knows that PBF doesn't throw a lot of punches. You can check YouTube and watch his bag work if you don't believe me.

Have you guys read about some news that Freddie daw said that Manny wants to be President of the Philippines?

Ano yun, pag nanalo siya, boboto natin siya?

Pag natalo siya, boboton natin siya (sympathy vote)?

Loko talaga, they should just concentrate on the fight. Unless this is their way of psyching out Floyd?

On the other hand, I was doing some reading and found that although I respect Floyd for his fighting skills. He does have his dirty side, not just talk.

1. Gatti fight, he dropped Gatti's head and when Gatti turned to Referee to complain, Floyd kept hitting him till he was Knocked down.

2. Ortiz Fight, almost similar, they clinched, then when Ortiz was going to unclinch, Floyd hit him, when Ortiz turned to complain to the ref, he got hit by Floyd again, Knock Out.

Sure the first rule of Boxing is "protect yourself at all times", pero naman, Traidor naman yan.