Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

A news from Philstar:

COMMENT: Bakit hindi na lang si Jimmy Alapag (nasa Talk & Text din naman siya- he has the heart and experience)

Smart Gilas in search of another ace guard

By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star) Updated June 18, 2010 12:00 AM

Rajko Toroman

MANILA, Philippines - With top prospect Chris Banchero opting to finish his studies in the US, Smart Gilas Pilipinas said it needs another point guard to backstop the team competing in the Asian Games this year.

“He said he wants to finish school in the US but I will still talk to his agent and ask him to reconsider,” said RP team coach Rajko Toroman, referring to the flashy, 6-1 point guard at US NCAA Division II Seattle Pacific U.

“If Banchero is out, we’ll search for another point guard somewhere else, maybe in the PBA,” he added.

Smart Gilas team manager Frankie Lim confirmed Smart Gilas’ plan but didn’t specifically say which PBA team they would tap for a reliable guard.

“We’re looking at the team but things have to be ironed out first,” he said.

One of the names being mentioned is Fil-Am Ryan Reyes, who was traded along with Kelly Williams from Sta. Lucia Realty to Talk n Text, Smart Gilas’ sister team, last month.

The high-leaping Williams will join Smart Gilas right after the ongoing PBA season to reinforce the Filipinos in the Asian Games in Guangzhou in November and hopefully in next year’s FIBA-Asia Championships which serves as the qualifier for the 2012 London Olympics.

There were reports, however, that Reyes won’t be available since he would need to be with his wife, who is due to give birth late this year.

Smart Gilas is also eyeing American Marcus Douthit as the team’s prospect for a naturalized player. Douthit will show his wares in the MVP Invitational slated June 24-27 at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium.

The 6-5 Williams and the 6-10 Douthit are expected to bolster Smart Gilas’ front court that also includes seven-footer Greg Slaughter, 6-11 Jason Ballesteros, 6-9 Japeth Aguilar, Dylan Ababou and Mac Baracael.

The need for another point guard came about after JV Casio sustained an injury, leaving co-skippers Chris Tiu and Mark Barroca to man the team’s backcourt.

“We learned from our Doha stint that we would need another point guard in case our other guards get injured,” said Toroman.

The Serbian coach, however, isn’t giving up on Banchero.

A junior at SPU, Banchero led the Falcons to a 22-6 record in a recent tournament, averaging 19.6 points, 2.9 assists and 1.3 steals. He’s also a 52 percent shooter from the field. He was selected to the NCAA Division II men’s basketball All-America team.

If Banchero’s parents will agree, he will be included to the Smart-Gilas lineup in the William Jones Cup on July 13-21 in Taiwan, and probably in the tough FIBA-Asia Stankovic Cup on Aug. 7-15 in Beirut, Lebanon.

In the Stankovic Cup, the Philippines will play against the national teams of Lebanon, Iran, Jordan, Qatar, South Korea, Japan, Uzbekistan and Syria.

Guest hastati

Haddadi won't be playing for Iran this coming Asian games. Same with Yao Ming. So this is welcome news for SG. Of course, China still has WZZ and YJL but of course Yao is Yao. I just hope they get a shot-blocking and rebounding naturalized player.

Guest hastati

Kudos to SG for beating Jordan. With more international exposure, I think Slaughter could be a force in the paint. I really think SG could end up with at least a bronze in the Asian Games.

Congrats to Smart Gilas for winning the PIC Cup.

Not really related to this topic, but I read about the Cardona punching incident. Is there a link on youtube.com where a clip of this incident is shown. I'd like to see exactly what happened.

read from philstar, as in bench clearing ang nangyari

and at the end of the game...chot reyes and the rest of TNT got involved kasi ayaw papigil nung import

rumble pala gusto nung kumag eh!

read from philstar, as in bench clearing ang nangyari

and at the end of the game...chot reyes and the rest of TNT got involved kasi ayaw papigil nung import

rumble pala gusto nung kumag eh!

uu nga nbasa ko dn to.. sinapak tlga ni cardona ung tsinoy (import ata).. kasi hard foul dw e.. so ngyri, ejected si cardona.. tpos pti ung import.. e nghahamon ng suntukan, c chot reyes na gustong lumaban hanggang sa pti mga les-lu umawat na din.. :D sna nga my link sa youtube.. :D

uu nga nbasa ko dn to.. sinapak tlga ni cardona ung tsinoy (import ata).. kasi hard foul dw e.. so ngyri, ejected si cardona.. tpos pti ung import.. e nghahamon ng suntukan, c chot reyes na gustong lumaban hanggang sa pti mga les-lu umawat na din.. :D sna nga my link sa youtube.. :D

some photos of the incident...

TNT vs DONGGUAN CHINA

Gilas signs up Douthit as 'import'

By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star) Updated June 29, 2010 12:00 AM

Marcus Douthit. JUN MENDOZA

| Zoom MANILA, Philippines - American Marcus Douthit yesterday agreed to undergo the naturalization process to become a full-pledged Filipino after he signed a one-year contract that would allow him to play for Smart Gilas in various international competitions, including the 2011 FIBA-Asia Championship in Lebanon, a qualifier for the London Olympics.

“Yes, it’s Douthit,” said Smart Gilas team manager Frankie Lim after yesterday’s contract signing between the former Providence standout and Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, headed by Manny V. Pangilinan.

• Like (+1) 1
Guest hastati

kaya nga dapat kasali sa national team c macmac, imagine ninyo kung paano niya sirain ang laro ng kalaban sa trash talk and gulang nya.

It's very possible. Since Macmac is with TNT, he could easily be loaned to SG since both are sister companies.

It's very possible. Since Macmac is with TNT, he could easily be loaned to SG since both are sister companies.

everything is for a reason ... otherwise, why not just send the TnT team instead and beef it up with the amatures rather than setting up a National Team and beef it up with the TnT players pag naisipan.

[quote name=hastati' date='29 June 20 :lol: 10 - 10:56 AM' timestamp='1277780205' post='7462733]

Really? I read in the papers that he'll play as an import.

Padre, may nag-edit din ba ng news article na nabasa mo? Kasi un lahat ng papers naturalization candidate si Marcus, ikaw lang ang nagsabi na nabasa mo he'll play as an import. Share mo naman un article.

Para rin un link na ipinakita ko...nun ikaw nagbasa ang nakasulat OPTION si TYRUS THOMAS for the Celtics pero nun nag cut and paste ako to show you mukhang pinapakita di na pala siya option. :lol:

Guest hastati

Padre, may nag-edit din ba ng news article na nabasa mo? Kasi un lahat ng papers naturalization candidate si Marcus, ikaw lang ang nagsabi na nabasa mo he'll play as an import. Share mo naman un article.-artedpro merely showed me the article again to emphasize that Douthit agreed to undergo the naturalization process. Tama na ang obsession sa akin. Halos lahat ng post ko dito nagcocomment ka, sablay ka naman. :lol:

Para rin un link na ipinakita ko...nun ikaw nagbasa ang nakasulat OPTION si TYRUS THOMAS for the Celtics pero nun nag cut and paste ako to show you mukhang pinapakita di na pala siya option. -Haha! You've been lecturing me on off-topic yet who is now posting an obviously off-topic post. Ano naman ni Tyrus Thomas dito sa SG thread. Your obsession with me just never ceases. Pikon ka na naman kaya off-topic pianpgpopost mo. :lol:

Edited by hastati

Really? I read in the papers that he'll play as an import.

Sino kaya ang SABLAY??? Let's not throw mud and there is a better way to resolve this. Sige pakita mo un article na sinasabi mong He'l play as an import! Hirap sayo di ka nagbabasa ng maige kaya kung anu anong misinformation ang binibigay mo sa bawa'thread. :lol:

Artedpro showed you the article I have mentioned...un sa Phil STAR. Kasi ang headline nun nakasulat he agreed to play as import. but if your read the context for naturalization ka.

Being an import is not the same as a naturalized player. He can'y play for us as a "local" if he's classified as an import unless he's naturalized.

Edited by CELTS

Sino kaya ang SABLAY??? Let's not throw mud and there is a better way to resolve this. Sige pakita mo un article na sinasabi mong He'l play as an import! Hirap sayo di ka nagbabasa ng maige kaya kung anu anong misinformation ang binibigay mo sa bawa'thread. :lol:

Artedpro showed you the article I have mentioned...un sa Phil STAR. Kasi ang headline nun nakasulat he agreed to play as import. but if your read the context for naturalization ka.

Being an import is not the same as a naturalized player. He can'y play for us as a "local" if he's classified as an import unless he's naturalized.

And the naturalization process requires the Congress to convene w/c underwent a long recess due to the recent elections. I think the process is like that in approving for a law where it will be tackled by the Congress (includes the senate) and it will ultimately have to be signed/approved by the president before it becomes binding. Till then, he would have to play as an import although the important part is that we've signed him for a year thru the said contract.

• 2 weeks later...

Smart Gilas off to a good start @ 2010 Jones Cup

Gilas pounds young Taiwanese

By Nelson Beltran (The Philippine Star) Updated July 15, 2010 12:00 AM

HSINCHUANG CITY – Smart Gilas Team Pilipinas cranked up for the tough games ahead with an 83-52 whipping of the Taiwan University All Stars in the opener of the 32nd Williams Jones Cup International Basketball Tournament at the Hsinchuang Gymnasium here yesterday.

Japeth Aguilar started the game with the first of his five jams and the Nationals easily outplayed their youthful local rivals for the rousing victory priming them up for an acid test against back-to-back Fiba-Asia champion Iran today.

“It’s a nice win to begin our campaign in this tourney. We have new guys joining the team but we still played good basketball for most of the game. To me, it means we’re ready to compete,” said Smart Gilas coach Rajko Toroman.

“We have problems with the calls and we need to adjust to it. We’re looking forward to our next games. We look forward to playing Iran tomorrow (today),” Toroman added.

The Philippines beat Iran the last time they played here in 2007 but the Iranians have since gone on a roll, ruling the last two Asian jousts. Iran topped the Philippines in the 2007 Tokushima Fiba-Asia championship and repeated with a big win in last year’s Asian championship in Tianjin, China.

Against the TU All-Stars, Smart Gilas naturalization candidate Marcus Douthit came through with a double-double game with 15 points and 14 rebounds as he braced up for his battle with the Iranian giants.

“We got a good game that should get our confidence up,” said the 6-foot-10 Providence U product. “I’m not too happy with my performance as I could have played harder. I’ll try to come up with a lot more against Iran.”

Taiwan U coach Liu Chun-Yeh said they lost to a team that played good, aggressive hustling defense.

Smart Gilas put up a pressing defense most of the way, getting 19 steals which the Nationals translated to significant number of transition baskets.

Also operating well on half-court offense, the Nationals took control from start to finish for a triumphant start in the tourney serving as part of their buildup for the Asian Games in Guangzhou, China this November.

Starters Douthit, Aguilar, JV Casio, Chris Tiu and Chris Lutz gave the team early double-digit spreads which the team stretched to as big as 34, 78-44, towards the end.

Toroman opted to sit out Douthit in the last seven minutes after the Nationals opened a 27-point bulge at 69-42 on a barrage of points from the outside by reserves RJ Jazul, Marcius Lassiter and Dylan Ababou.

The Nationals played a well-balanced game with Douthit, Lassiter, Aguilar, Ababou, Jazul, Lutz and Mac Baracael all making at least seven points each.